HD Off air antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-06-2007, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am so confused I live in NE OKC...I have cox cable whick unfortunately will not give us cable HD for the ABC network...So I bought an OFF Air Antenna which is HD amplified...and It wont come through... I have a 50" Toshiba DLP and a RCA antenna....why can't I get the channels to come in. I live kinda in the sticks but not really....My back yard is i-40 for those of you in OKC I live about 4 miles East of Tinker...Shouldn't I be able to get them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

What type of antenna do you have? Here is an approximate antennaweb.org listing of your available DT stations. I used a location of County Line Rd and I40.

* yellow - uhf KETA-DT 13.1 PBS OKLAHOMA CITY OK 302° 24.5 32
* yellow - uhf KFOR-DT 4.1 NBC OKLAHOMA CITY OK 302° 24.5 27
* yellow - uhf KOCB-DT 34.1 CW OKLAHOMA CITY OK 297° 22.8 33
* yellow - uhf KOKH-DT 25.1 FOX OKLAHOMA CITY OK 295° 22.6 24
* yellow - uhf KWTV-DT 9.1 CBS OKLAHOMA CITY OK 302° 24.5 39
* green - vhf KOCO-DT 5.1 ABC OKLAHOMA CITY OK 297° 23.1 7
* red - uhf KOPX-DT 62.1 ION OKLAHOMA CITY OK 302° 24.5 50
* red - uhf KSBI-DT 52.1 IND OKLAHOMA CITY OK 302° 24.5 51
* red - uhf KTUZ-DT 29.1 TEL SHAWNEE OK 232° 13.1 29
* red - uhf KAUT-DT 43.1 MNT OKLAHOMA CITY OK 301° 23.9 40
* violet - uhf KTBO-DT 14.1 TBN OKLAHOMA CITY OK 299° 23.4 15
The last three numbers in each row is the compass direction, distance in miles and DT channel. You should point your antenna at about 300deg., ie. 20deg north of west.

How many of these do you receive? In particular, ABC is on a VHF channel, 7. If your antenna is a UHF only antenna this may be the problem.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-06-2007, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

You need to tell us the antenna & model number you have. raouliii points out that the KOCO-DT ABC 5 station is on upper VHF 7. Many UHF antennas are not going work well for VHF 7. For indoor or tabletop antennas, you need rabbit ears for the lower VHF channels. Also, where have you tried the antenna? Can you place it in a window facing West or a place with fewer obstructions in the direction of the broadcast towers?

You are around 20 to 25 miles from the broadcast towers which is on the far side for an indoor antenna for many places. The flat terrain of Oklahoma city does help however.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:04 AM

What do folks think the least intimidating outdoor antenna would be to catch the Ch. 7 and all the UHF stations for her situation? Are there going to be more VHF channels in OKC after 2/17/09? I get a digital broadcast using Ch. 10 very well with a cm4228, but there's also an Antennacraft model for upper VHF and all UHF sold directly by them and Starks Electronic that looks more conventional and might be more appealing to her. I'm just saying that even if a cable provider gives you a lot of SD channels, they're either going to charge a bunch for HD or not provide all the sub-channels you can get for free OTA. And flat terrain or not, at 23 miles and a single direction for the towers, I's explore places to mount an outside antenna. It's done wonders for my reception. When the U.S. Open finals are broadcast by CBS in HD this weekend, am I going to watch on SD cable or OTA in HD with the antenna? That's right...
Old 09-07-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSOONERGIRL View Post

...I live about 4 miles East of Tinker...:

That's a really big problem. Tinker AFB is a huge RF noise source plus you're going to have tons of dynamic multipath problems every time a plane flies by.

Plus Tinker is in roughly the same direction as the tower for 5.1.

Plus 5.1 is on physical channel 7, which has more problems with impulse noise than the UHF channels.

Plus, you live in OK which means no mountains or tall buildings, so you can't even try to pick up a reflection instead of the direct signal.

It's situations like this that the cable tv industry was meant to solve.

You're best bet might be getting satellite service, but I don't know what their policies are about passing on local HD stations.

Or maybe you could move to other side of Tinker so that Tinker is on the backside of your antenna.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

......You're best bet might be getting satellite service, but I don't know what their policies are about passing on local HD stations.....

Isn't that a little premature? We don't even know if the OP has even tried a VHF outdoor antenna yet.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-08-2007, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's a really big problem. Tinker AFB is a huge RF noise source plus you're going to have tons of dynamic multipath problems every time a plane flies by.

Plus Tinker is in roughly the same direction as the tower for 5.1.

Plus 5.1 is on physical channel 7, which has more problems with impulse noise than the UHF channels.

It's situations like this that the cable tv industry was meant to solve.

You're best bet might be getting satellite service, but I don't know what their policies are about passing on local HD stations.

Or maybe you could move to other side of Tinker so that Tinker is on the backside of your antenna.

CATV thrives because of misinformation.
Channel 7 is not prone to noise problems. Channel 7 is reception is hurt due to incorrect antenna choices.
A slightly larger antenna can reduce airplane flutter. This is one possibility: http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/3017.htm
Old 09-08-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
2-17-2009:
America's transition to analog pay-Cable.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Old 09-08-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSOONERGIRL View Post

I am so confused I live in NE OKC...I have cox cable whick unfortunately will not give us cable HD for the ABC network...So I bought an OFF Air Antenna which is HD amplified...and It wont come through... I have a 50" Toshiba DLP and a RCA antenna....why can't I get the channels to come in. I live kinda in the sticks but not really....My back yard is i-40 for those of you in OKC I live about 4 miles East of Tinker...Shouldn't I be able to get them?

I live about 45 miles from the OKC TV broadcast towers and don't have too much frustration getting most of the digital stations from OKC using just indoor antennas. Probably being at a higher elevation than much of town helps. It's been real surprising to see the OKC analog channels all snowy and then tuning to the digital channels and finding reception picture perfect, aside from some occasional dropouts, especially during daytime. However, the ABC station doesn't come in as consistently well as the CBS, NBC and OETA stations. I think the problem is lack of transmitter power. The ABC DT station has only around 34kw vs up to 1000kw for some of the others. I don't know what to tell you about your situation unless you live in a difficult, low elevation area where TV reception doesn't work well. Stillwater has some bad down low areas for TV and FM reception, such as the strip.

When the atmospheric conditions get just right, most likely at night after dusk, the digital stations from Tulsa will come in. That doesn't happen often, but no surprise given that the Tulsa stations are around 75 miles away.

Suddenlink, the cable provider in Stillwater, does carry the Oklahoma City ABC digital channel.

Until I got an HDTV, I didn't realize some of the digital channels from Oklahoma City, such as TBN and OETA had a bunch of digital sub channels that cable wasn't providing, so I've been experimenting with indoor antennas in hopes of avoiding the much bigger hassle of installing an outdoor antenna. And then the requirement of a big outdoor antenna with rotator and amp to get the Tulsa stations as well, if desired, would just add to the expense and complexity.

For VHF, I use unamplified rabbit ears. For UHF, I use a Phillips amplified indoor/outdoor UHF only antenna mounted at ceiling level, purchased from Lowe's. Surprisingly, it's shaped like a book, rather than looking like a typical antenna. So it was real easy to conceal and avoid unsightliness by mounting it behind a tapestry that's above my fireplace. The antenna won't bring in the OKC ABC digital station, though, probably reflective that the ABC station may be the only one broadcasting digitally on VHF.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Plus, you live in OK which means no mountains or tall buildings, so you can't even try to pick up a reflection instead of the direct signal.

Well, there is such a thing as the skyscrapers of downtown Oklahoma City. Maybe she should try aiming her antenna there for a possible try at a reflection.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
KOCO has a weird transmit pattern. They broadcast their digital signal in a hourglass shape to protect the analog channel 7 in Lawton to the south southwest. An a outdoor antenna should get them easily from that location even being close to Tinker. The towers are over in Edmond along the turnpike.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You might also ask in the local OKC thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=463735