Dish Network Satellite Location - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-13-2007, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in an apartment with a balcony that has a view of the eastern portion of the southern sky. I had DirectTV come over and the tech could not get a clear line of sight to the satellite as it is a more western view of the southern sky I need.

Is the DISH Network satellite in the same position as the DirecTV satellite in the southern sky?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-13-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

The main satellites are *generally* in the same direction. It's possible that one service can have line-of-sight when the other doesn't but it's not that common.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-13-2007, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You do not post your location so it is hard to tell how you will see their satellites. However if you are in the very eastern U.S. Dish has a 61.5 satellite that contains all their HD. This satellite is approximately over the Bahamas. The Dish satellites for their SD channels are over Los Angeles and some are further east but these are approximately the same as DirecTV's. Dish has a HD satellite for the western U.S. at 129 that is further west than Los Angeles but with the 61.5 you do not need it.

The bottom line. The HD channels are east of you but the SD channels are west of you. Where you are located in the U.S. controls whether whether your HD locals are on the 61.5 or the 129.

Rick R
post #4 of 4 Old 09-13-2007, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Rick and hall, thank you for the posts. I am located in Rochester, NY, therefore, from my location and the fact that my balcony faces southeast, it seems as though I am fine for HD, but I would not get access to the SD satellite. Looks like I'm stuck with Time Warner.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page