GS511_HDCP_DLG Error w/Time Warner Cable - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 71 Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok - I had the Explorer 8300 (non-HD model) with TWC NYC. I bought a computer monitor lcd that has hdmi input and d-sub (vga) input. I exchanged my box for an Explorer 8300HDC. First let me say the channel processing is much slower than my old box.

Anyway, this was my plan - with the single HD box.
A. Connect it to my living room tv using the coaxial cable and/or component.
B. Connect the hdmi out to the hdmi port of my new lcd monitor.
C Connect my pc to the vga port of the monitor.

So the one cable box controls the output on both my crt television and my lcd monitor. Only downside is you cant watch 2 different show at the same time but thats not an issue for me.

So I get everything working on the lcd, even the hdmi sound. However when I connect the hdmi cable to the box the component video goes out. Not the biggest issue either.

However, when my computer monitor's input is set to hdmi and is displaying cable tv from the cable box, my crt television also correctly displays the cable tv. Once I switch my lcd monitor back to the vga port (i.e. in pc mode) the cable tv being displayed on my crt television goes off and I get the GS511_HDCP_DLG error, the same exact error being discussed in this thread.

So to summarize, when my computer monitor (HDMI compliant) is set to HDMI and displaying cable signal then my non _HD analog tv will also display the same tv signal which is what I want, but when my computer monitor changes input source to vga, my analog tv no longer works and I get the error.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 PM

Has anyone tried lowering the resoltuion of the hd settings in the box? Does this help?
post #63 of 71 Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
gmcjetpilot, my situation is similar.

My previous TV did not have HDMI. Instead, here was my setup:
SA4250 to TV via component
SA4250 to TiVo via S-Video
TiVo to TV via S-Video
Everything worked fine.

I just got a Samsung PN50A650, which has HDMI inputs. So, changed the S4250 to TV connection to HDMI. Now, whenever I watch the signal coming to HDMI1, everything works great. However, if I try to watch the signal coming into S-Video, I see the GS511 error.
Interestingly enough, if I unplug the HDMI cable from either the TV or the cable box, the error goes away and the signal starts coming in via the S-video connection.
TWC Raleigh tech is coming on Tuesday. They've threatened to charge me if this isn't a cable box issue.

Anybody notice this other bit of annoyance? The only way to get true dolby digital out of the box is to set it to Dolby Digital (which means all audio is sent out the fiber optic port - nothing is sent through the HDMI connection). If you choose to send audio via HDMI, then any signal sent from the box optical port or the TV's optical port becomes ProLogic II. Rather annoying, since I don't always watch TV with my surround system on.
post #64 of 71 Old 07-31-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupMama View Post

gmcjetpilot, my situation is similar.

My previous TV did not have HDMI. Instead, here was my setup:
SA4250 to TV via component
SA4250 to TiVo via S-Video
TiVo to TV via S-Video
Everything worked fine.

I just got a Samsung PN50A650, which has HDMI inputs. So, changed the S4250 to TV connection to HDMI. Now, whenever I watch the signal coming to HDMI1, everything works great. However, if I try to watch the signal coming into S-Video, I see the GS511 error.
Interestingly enough, if I unplug the HDMI cable from either the TV or the cable box, the error goes away and the signal starts coming in via the S-video connection.
TWC Raleigh tech is coming on Tuesday. They've threatened to charge me if this isn't a cable box issue.

Anybody notice this other bit of annoyance? The only way to get true dolby digital out of the box is to set it to Dolby Digital (which means all audio is sent out the fiber optic port - nothing is sent through the HDMI connection). If you choose to send audio via HDMI, then any signal sent from the box optical port or the TV's optical port becomes ProLogic II. Rather annoying, since I don't always watch TV with my surround system on.

This is the exact issue. My theory is that it is intentional. While the HDMI port has a live connection (power does not have to be on) none of the other outputs will work (coaxial, composite, component etc). I guess it is to prevent digital recording but its stupid if you ask me. It messes up the basic functionality of the box.

Whats strange though is that when my hdmi monitor was actively displaying tv the coaxial output would function but once I switched input source of the hdmi montior to vga it stopped functioning. This kind of contradicts my theory above. BTW, I have a SA 8300HDC.

Soupmama, please post the results of the cable tech visit.
post #65 of 71 Old 07-31-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post

Soupmama, please post the results of the cable tech visit.

Will do. If this is truely a situation of DRM, then it is definitely out of control.
It's bad enough that anything I buy from the iTunes store can only be played on approved m4p players (which includes neither my car stereo or my mp3 player). Now I can't TiVo my favorite shows?
post #66 of 71 Old 08-16-2008, 01:11 PM

Has anyone had success with the Samsung box with TWC? Is that box DVR also??
post #67 of 71 Old 08-18-2008, 05:11 AM

Quote:

Has anyone had success with the Samsung box with TWC? Is that box DVR also??

Oops, sorry. I never did post my update.
My story with TWC was really frustrating, but it did have a happy ending. Like I said, I called TWc to report the issue with the SA4250. After 20-30 min on hold, I finally spoke to someone to talked to me like I was 10 yrs old. I explained the problem, and all of their suggestions were elementary (and I had already tried them). So they scheduled me for a service call, under the threat that if there was nothing wrong with the box, I'd have to pay for the service call. My service call was scheduled for 5-7 on Tuesday.

I left work an hour early to get home in time on Tuesday. I sit and wait and wait and wait. finally, I get a call at 6:45. "Hi, this is TWC. Says here your SA 4245 isn't working?" I explain the problem, and he says "Yeah, that's because the SA4250 doesn't work with HDMI." And there's nothing he could do for me.
So that was it. I left work early to sit and wait for 2 hrs until the guy could call me on the phone and tell me the problem was with the box, and there was nothing I could do. And the best part? He also told me that the jerkface rep I had spoken to on the phone should have known this and should have been able to tell me this, saving me the whole hassle of dealing with the service call.

I called TWC customer service to express my displeasure over the whole situation, but before I could even get started, I was told that I could have another box. I was told that it was the SA3250. Same connections, same capability, different firmware and hardware. Two day's later, my wife went to get the box from one of their local facilities. It was the Samsung box. I hooked it up. It works perfectly. It is not a DVR box.

Bottom line:
  • TWC knows their is a problem with HDMI and the SA4250
  • TWC still has Samsung boxes to provide to those who are having difficulties with the SA4250
  • The Samsung box solves the problem
  • There is one drawback with the Samsung box: it does not allow you to change the color of the sidebars for 4:3 programming to a color other than black ( a feature that is preferable for plasma TV's)
  • The first person I spoke with on TWC customer is a jerkface.
post #68 of 71 Old 08-18-2008, 11:15 AM

Does Samsung make an hd dvr box that TWC carries?
post #69 of 71 Old 08-19-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:

Does Samsung make an hd dvr box that TWC carries?

That I don't know. But from what I've gleaned from this and other threads is that the SA DVR box doesn't suffer from the same issues as the SA4250. Plus it has PiP!
post #70 of 71 Old 09-01-2008, 04:23 PM

So my problem was a little different as it was related to the SA 8300HDC and trying to use multiple outputs from the cable box at the same time. I initially got the error when I ran the hdmi to a hdcp compliant lcd and the coaxial to a tv. When the lcd was off, I would get the error on the tv via coaxial. Strange is that when the lcd was on, the tv would work fine.

I gave up on the lcd but I recently bought a 32" plasma with no hdcp markings that I am aware of. So I still have coaxial and component going from box to analog tv and hdmi going to plasma. I thought for sure I was going to get the error again but I didnt. Everything works fine. The only error I get which I am not a 100% sure is the same error but I think it is , when my hdmi connected plasma is on, the component output of the box stops working and the error flashes for a sec. Kind of the opposite that was happening with my other lcd - strange.

I know this may seem wordy but I figure maybe some who read this thread can get an idea of how this error relates to hdcp
post #71 of 71 Old 07-06-2012, 08:10 PM

Has anyone found a solution to the SA 8300HD Error?

Error code - HDCP-019 or HDCP-020??

Thanks
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page