Suggested Fix for Sharp Aquos FIOS Motorola HDMI Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-03-2007, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got FIOS from Verizon. Very excited -- except the HDMI Cable Connection refuses to work at 1080i. I figured out the problem tonight, I hope...

I have the Model LC-37DB5U Sharp Aquos. My Set Top Box is Motorola's QIP-6416-2 HD/DVR from Verizon with their new FIOS service just installed this past Thursday.

Turned the TV on -- which was pre-set at 1080i -- picture went crazy, sliding to the right. Had to change the Set Top Box setting to 720p, but by that time we had tried 2 boxes, 3 sets of HDMI Cables, and settled on Component Video Cables because they were the only thing that worked.

Solution, if you want to revert to the HDMI Cable (who doesn't?)...
a) Set the Motorola Set Top Box to 1080i / 16:9 (which the Sharp supports).
b) The picture will go crazy. Leave it alone! SHUT DOWN BOTH THE TV AND THE SET TOP BOX WITH THE MOTOROLA REMOTE.
c) You must then completely unplug the TV from the wall.
d) At this point, change out your Component Cables for the HDMI Cable.
e) Plug the TV back in.
f) Start both units with the Motorola Remote.
You should now have a rock-solid 1080i picture over HDMI if you remembered to change your Video Source to Input 4 (or whatever you've labeled your HDMI Input to be).

If this does not work, carefully go through the procedure again, now that you have the HDMI Cable attached and have the TV using that Input Source. The first important part is to set the Set Top Box to 1080i so the TV can respond automatically to the signal feed -- it will. And the second MOST IMPORTANT PART is to unplug the TV completely -- simply restarting it will fail most times.

This may work on other Sharp models.

Don't ask me how I came up with this solution. It just popped into my head as I was dozing off in front of the TV after 2 hours of frustration trying to get it to work by following the "directions" -- Motorola's booklet is incorrect in some regards, and Sharp doesn't fully explain the procedure. And Verizon's technicians had no fix (they had never seen the problem before).

I am posting this as a new subject because some of the threads reporting this problem are quite old.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-10-2007, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

OK. This is actually not working for very long. I have had to call Sharp and after 4 phone calls and talking to 6 different people it seems they are finally sending a local Repair Tech to replace internal components and test the TV. Everything was going fine with my discussions with them until I had to actually request such a repair. They seem convinced it is not a problem with their TV. They claim they have never heard of this problem, although it has been reported repeatedly on AVS and at other Forums.

We'll soon find out.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-17-2007, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Final Update for anyone who may have this same problem...

Sharp sent out a local Technician today who replaced two internal boards. There are only 3, I believe. The one they did not place (surprisingly enough) was the board with the Ports on it. And replacing the other two boards fixed my set! I can now use the HDMI cable and switch back-and-forth between SD and HD channels without losing the picture sync. Everything works great.

A word on Sharp's call-in Tech Support...
1) They were just great on the phone, and very sympathetic -- until I got to the point of almost demanding a repair. Then Tech Support started to insist that it was NOT this set but the FIOS Control Box, instead (made by Motorola). I guess this repair proves that was not the case (for me, at least).

2) During three different calls to Sharp, their answering system cut me off all three times. Typically, when they put me on Hold to go call the repair tech, or to check the status on something, they could not pick the call back up. I would suddenly be disconnected. To their credit, however, they always followed-up with contacting me back by a return call, or the Tech would call from the Repair Center.

The Technician that arrived said that Sharp usually insists that this set be brought in for service. The one advantage to doing the repair in my home was that we could replicate the condition before the repair -- then test it immediately afterwards. He had never seen such a problem before, and swore that Sharp knows nothing about it even though there are quite a number of incidents reported here and elsewhere. There were a ton of screws he had to remove to get the back off, including the TV Stand.

But, thank you Sharp! The set works great at this time. Oddly enough, when I asked the Tech which sets he liked he said...
a) Panasonic -- because their Service Dept. stands behind their products so strongly. Both he and his assistant repeated this many times.
b) JVC -- next to Panasonic, their hands-down favorites for ease of repair and dealing with the company.
c) Sharp -- because "the sets are great when they work".
Reply HDTV Technical