Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 475
I'm not real sure, but I think MONOPRICE wink.gif just might be the way to go rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gifcool.gif

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
With 19 thin metal contacts, HDMI cables aren't designed to be multiple-insertion cables.

OK...be sure to let everyone know this.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Monoprice seem to be the most recommended seller in the US. They have high speed HDMI with ethernet, otherwise knows as HDMI 1.4, cables for very cheap and they are good quality. You could also try ebay, everything tends to be a lot cheaper on ebay as its more competitive. If you are in Australia I would recommend ProAudioVIsual. They sell a 1m HDMI cable for around $5 including post. Just make sure you dont purchase a HDMI cable from one of the major retailers. They will often try and sell you an overpriced branded HDMI cable like Monster. Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:47 AM

Liked: 88
Just to clarify a bit...Version numbers should never be used with HDMI cables. There is no such thing as an HDMI 1.4 cable.

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx

HDMI Org owns the trademarks, copyrights, patents and specifications for HDMI. So they should know.

The HDMI 1.4 specification included much more than just HDMI with Ethernet. However, that doesn't matter since there are only two types of HDMI cables - High Speed and Standard Speed. Each type has a number of options, including "with Ethernet". The humorous part is that no manufacturer that I know of has yet to release piece of equipment that uses the HDMI with Ethernet capability. Just because a device has HDMI and allows Ethernet to be input, doesn't mean that the devices uses HDMI with Ethernet and, in fact, none do.

So what you are looking for is a certified High Speed HDMI cable. If you want to include the "with Ethernet" option that's fine too. However, if you find someone who is selling an HDMI 1.4 cable, you should probably look elsewhere since that type of branding/advertising is forbidden by the HDMI Org and might be a counterfeit cable. eBay seems to be full of counterfeit HDMI cables which claim to be High Speed but are actually just Standard Speed cable with a version number slapped on top.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:31 PM

www.monoprice.com

A couple of years ago I discovered Monoprice, and I'm GLAD I DID!! Best place to order your cables, hands down.They ship fast, and their products work flawlessly. I must shamefully admit that I was one of the sheeple that used to believe the more $$ you spent on a cable, the better the quality. until I was enlightened on the subject (due in no small part to this very forum) . DONT BELIEVE THE MARKETING HYPE!!

On a side note: I recently purchased a new LCD TV and the sales associate immediately started in on the "Do you have the proper quality cables for a high-end TV like this". I said "Yeah...they're called HDMI". Of course this initiated his pre-programmed retort about how I need "Monster- zippity-do-dah, ultimate-lah-de-da's", claiming that [paraphrasing] anything less will give me substandard picture quality. He even tried to sell me a Monster optical cable for my Bose soundbar until I pointed out to HIM that Bose includes one in the box!! The 4m Monster cable he tried to sell me was priced over $100!! I'm not sure if he's simply ignorant, or if he was looking to increase his commision...but its a CRIME against the consumer that salespeople are allowed to feed the consumer BLATANTLY FALSE INFORMATION regarding these products.

In case you missed it...MONOPRICE.COM
Old 05-25-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 272
^^^^^ BlueJeans and MediaBridge are also good places to buy certified High Speed cables. I use MediaBridge and have been very happy with the price and quality.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 51
monoprice.com +1,000,000
Old 06-01-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ cute rolleyes.gif
Old 08-18-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 82
whats the best 35ft cable that Monoprice has? What does everyone use for the long run from pj to AVR? thanks in advance..

Old 08-18-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Passive high speed hdmi is only certified to 25', so at 35' you may have issues depending on what you are trying to do. I'd recommend looking into a Redmere cable. They are active cables in the sense that they draw a little bit of power from the sync end (the tv) which allows them to be used at longer distances and still maintain the high speed protocols. They are also thinner than "regular" HDMI cables and much more flexible.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have used 50' from them with no problems at all. They're good about returns if there is any problem.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What's the best Monoprice SKU for an HDMI Cable to my 4K TV?
Old 09-23-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Any Certified Passive High Speed HDMI cable from Monoprice will do. If you need to go longer than 25', you might want to consider a Redmere cable because you might have issues if your cable run is longer than 25'.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:13 AM

Liked: 0
hdmi

Try DNR Data Connection or Black Box.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
^^^^^ BlueJeans and MediaBridge are also good places to buy certified High Speed cables. I use MediaBridge and have been very happy with the price and quality.
I totally agree with using BlueJeans cables. I use them for my long in-wall runs. I wanted a well made quality cable for in-wall since I can't really behind there often and replace it if the cable goes bad.
For all my other stuff I use Monoprice.com cables. Never had one go bad. They are fantastic!
Old 10-29-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
while you can get decent cables from Monoprice, not all of them are good. The "premium" ones which I ordered my 1st order from them thinking that they'd be good were crap. Too heavy and inflexible to the point where every time I went to use my blu-ray player I had to jiggle the connection to get a signal, and eventually that cable stopped working entirely.

I've had good luck with Monoprice's "metallic series" which don't seem to have these issues, as well as BJC's "Tartan" (budget line, imported) cables. I have not had a really challenging installation where long runs were required so I didn't see the need to spent the money on the "real" BJC cables.

I'd be interested to know what Monoprice cables you all have used as there clearly are differences between the various offerings.

As an aside, I've had better luck with the "standard" Monoprice S/PDIF opticals and poor luck again with the flashy looking "premium" ones - had the connectors fall apart on two of them when installing my new receiver; had been installed with old receiver and left untouched for ~2 years. One of them fell apart in the jack of my TV and required me to get a pick to get the broken piece out, also there was an oily goo evident after doing this. Fortunately there doesn't seem to have been any permanent damage nor did the goo actually get on the jack only the broken end of the connector.

I also atypically don't really like the connectors on Monoprice's "premium" RCA cables that seem to get a lot of love - at least the batch that I got. I ordered all of the ones I have in one order a couple years ago, IMHO if the cables are going to be that heavy and inflexible the connectors ought to grip tighter, they fall off very easily when moving equipment. I wouldn't use them in a rack where I had to make connections and then slide components back; I can't imagine that all of the cables would stay on their jacks.

Tempted to go all BJC where I can now but the price is enough that it makes for some thinking when contemplating it...
Old 10-29-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I, family and friends are using Monoprice HDMI, S/PDIF, RCA and speaker wire without issues over the years. Apparently you're one (of a few) that has had bad experience(s) with Monoprice.
They do have a lifetime warranty.

But fortunately, there are alternatives.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mediabridge is at amazon.
They have 35' and 50' lengths.

A lot of other sizes too.

Mark
Old 10-29-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
I, family and friends are using Monoprice HDMI, S/PDIF, RCA and speaker wire without issues over the years. Apparently you're one (of a few) that has had bad experience(s) with Monoprice.
They do have a lifetime warranty.

But fortunately, there are alternatives.
For the price, I am not complaining at all. I just consider it a lesson, and stick with what I know works. I'm amazed that Monoprice sells stuff so cheap that is actually decent, I'm just throwing out there my experiences so if you do order from them you order the stuff that I've found to work well as opposed to what doesn't.

If I'm piecing something together for someone I will probably use the Tartan HDMIs. If I have to order something from Monoprice anyway I will skip the Premium stuff and get the standard S/PDIF, and "metallic" HDMIs because I know they work. The RCAs are still working for me but if I have to buy any more I might suck it up and get BJC.

There are some things that I've got from Monoprice that are great. Standard S/PDIF work flawlessly, and they are my go to for headphone adapters, cords, things of that nature. e.g. when I know that the cord that I run to the aux in in my car is only going to last a year or two I can't justify spending more for BJC especially when I'm just streaming a podcast or internet radio station from my cell phone and the losses inherent in that overwhelm the signal degradation from a "cheap" cable.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:10 PM

I dialed in 100' length while I was over at amazon and these
brands came up

Aurun,Bluerigger,Direct Access,and 9to5

All had Boosters. 9to5 didn't list the booster their Product Description did.
The 1st review did as well.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Whatever works and meets your needs/desires and budget.
My experience(s) with Monoprice has been satisfactory.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB49 View Post
brands came up

If you need HDMI lengths over 50 feet definitely start reading up the HDMI tech info @ BJC.

100 feet seems pretty marginal to me without a booster, even if with the best cable available. It *might* work, but no guarantees...

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articl...n-hdmi-run.htm
Old 10-29-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB49 View Post
brands came up

O.K.