HDMI to COMPONENT? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-22-2007, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have all my components in one room being fed to all other rooms through component video. So my whole house is wired for component video, NOT HDMI. My worry is when Blueray or HD DVD becomes the norm, i will be stuck with a down graded signal.

Is there any way to convert HDMI to Component Video without it Down grading it to 480p?

or... is there a way to send HDMI over COAX (RG6)? PLEASE HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-22-2007, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1thugs View Post

I have all my components in one room being fed to all other rooms through component video. So my whole house is wired for component video, NOT HDMI. PLEASE HELP!!

Component also works for HD signals. The VisionFC4 does what you want. It is sold in England and usually found on ebay.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-27-2007, 05:37 PM

I see the VisionFC4 on Ebay as stated here and in several other forums. it says it is for HDMI 1.0... any ideas whether it functions appropriately with newer HDMI releases, i.e. 1.1 or 1.3a?
post #4 of 10 Old 12-27-2007, 11:57 PM

Absolutely not on the coax. At least there is nothing that exists that does that, if you were clever though, maybe you could stream it into one PC and then to a cable modem then to another pc to decode (joke)

IMO if you already have the house wired for component, it shouldn't be that big of a deal to re-wire it for HDMI.

The whole point of HDMI was to keep it digital the entire time. I would recommend not bothering trying to rework the signal and instead just pull the component wires out and replace with hdmi.

Its odd a house be wired up for component to me. When component was at its peak everyone knew HDMI was coming. I guess hindsight is 20/20
post #5 of 10 Old 12-28-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Google on
HDMI over Coax

and you will find lots of solutions like the following one;

http://www.convergedigest.com/WiFi/w...e.asp?ID=21158

Any HDMI to component transcoder you get would have to provide HDCP support in order not to have DRM downscale protected content. A transcoder that does this may not be legal in the US since the componen video out of it could still be recorded
post #6 of 10 Old 12-28-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by iso9001 View Post

Absolutely not on the coax. At least there is nothing that exists that does that, if you were clever though, maybe you could stream it into one PC and then to a cable modem then to another pc to decode (joke)

IMO if you already have the house wired for component, it shouldn't be that big of a deal to re-wire it for HDMI.

The whole point of HDMI was to keep it digital the entire time. I would recommend not bothering trying to rework the signal and instead just pull the component wires out and replace with hdmi.

Its odd a house be wired up for component to me. When component was at its peak everyone knew HDMI was coming. I guess hindsight is 20/20

Misinformation is a wonderful thing.

HDMI has limited range unless you lay out for expensive repeaters. Component works for longer runs. As far as coax, it's the same stuff as component cables use - just divided up over three cables with separate audio instead of a single "all in one" line.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-28-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Google on
HDMI over Coax

Any HDMI to component transcoder you get would have to provide HDCP support in order not to have DRM downscale protected content. A transcoder that does this may not be legal in the US since the componen video out of it could still be recorded

As of now, no hardware other than computer video cards are downscaling component and there are no firm plans by anyone to do so.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-28-2007, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Do I unserstand you correctly that if you connect a HD/BR drive to a TV that does not support HDCP over HDMI/DVI. That you can still get the drive to connect to a TVG using 1080i or 1080p over component for HD/BR DVDs with protected content?
post #9 of 10 Old 12-28-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do I unserstand you correctly that if you connect a HD/BR drive to a TV that does not support HDCP over HDMI/DVI. That you can still get the drive to connect to a TVG using 1080i or 1080p over component for HD/BR DVDs with protected content?

Yes, unless the info I've been reading on this forum is dead wrong. That could change, but so far so good. Now that people are closer than ever to finding an easy way to rip the discs to their computers (easy, as in as easy as DVDs), the incentive to block component (and tick off your base of money-spending early adopters) is slowly fading away. You still can't run it into a recording device (just like DVD), but it appears using component isn't an issue - and actually avoids some, like handshaking, for one.

I should point out, this only applies to region 1. Other areas of the world may have HDCP imposed. Also, again, this is for standalone players. Computer-based players will need an HDCP compliant card. Game systems are so far working over component.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-29-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Google on
HDMI over Coax

If the transcoder supported HDCP, it would still have to downscale the component output if the ICT flag was on. If it didn't then it would be non-compliant, and would end up on the black-list. Apparently, most of the high def disc providers are not going to use the flag for a few more years, see: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060521-6880.html

This agreement may not hold though, and Warner and Paramount may release discs with the downres flag on sooner.

So, if you want full HD in the long term, you will need HDMI. To me it looks like the distance extender is a better solution that a transcoder.

Ernie
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page