Philips MANT510 Amp Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 12-21-2007, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the Philip's MANT510 antenna to receive OTA digital broadcasts. I've set the amplification to 3 of 5 LED's on the antenna. A couple hours later only one of the amplification LED's are lit. If I wait overnight, then no LED's are lit and the antenna gets no reception, until I unplug and reapply power. The problem is repeatable no matter how many times I reset the amplification.

Anyone else have this problem??? I have the MANT510 selector switch set to antenna; one coaxial cable connected to the antenna side of the MANT510 to the TV; nothing connected to cable side on the antenna (this is for the cable/antenna selector feature, which I don't need).

I exchanged the MANT510 at WalMart for another and it too has the same behavior. I found it difficult to believe that I had two bad units with the exact same problem.

So far, I am having good success with reception, especially in the challenging area that I live.

Thanks,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-21-2007, 04:58 PM

this happens on mine too, i just hit the button to turn it up again no need to unplug it

and while we are on the subject how do you pick up VHF on it i'm trying to pick up 9.1 which is VHF and i followed the instructions but couldnt get anything
post #3 of 31 Old 12-22-2007, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall4008 View Post

.......and while we are on the subject how do you pick up VHF on it i'm trying to pick up 9.1 which is VHF and i followed the instructions but couldnt get anything

I assume you have extended the VHF dipoles (rabbit ears). Have you checked your range to the transmitter using http://antennaweb.org? The VHF gain of this antenna is likely to be fairly low.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #4 of 31 Old 12-22-2007, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall4008 View Post

this happens on mine too, i just hit the button to turn it up again no need to unplug it

and while we are on the subject how do you pick up VHF on it i'm trying to pick up 9.1 which is VHF and i followed the instructions but couldnt get anything

Thanks for confirming your antenna works the same. I don't understand why the gain slowly goes to zero after a couple hours - design flaw? It's a problem for me because I have it connected directly to my Tivo, so it has to maintain the gain. Tivo can record at any given time.

This is my second antenna choice and so far the best performing one. I am now searching for a third choice.

For me channel 9.1 (Washington DC) is UHF and ~20 miles away. I actually can get the channel when I move the antenna closer to a window and facing towards the tower.

Thanks,
Joe
post #5 of 31 Old 12-24-2007, 01:24 PM

Same here... Bought it yesterday... noticed that last night..

I am considering replacing it with MANT-940 (since all of stations use UHF for digital channles) or MANT-310 which is without fine tune control(LED) hmm..

Yes, closer to window and facing towards the tower give best result for VHF. as for UHF, placing it higher give better result.
post #6 of 31 Old 12-27-2007, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boult View Post

I am considering replacing it with MANT-940 (since all of stations use UHF for digital channles) or MANT-310 which is without fine tune control(LED) hmm..

My experience with the MANT510 has been very good. With the gain set half way I am able to maintain reception on all digital channels (in my reach) during high winds and bad weather. This is the third antenna model I've tried and the first to accomplish good reception. Unfortunately, it doesn't maintain the gain setting.

I've emailed Philips about the behavior, but they referred me to a toll free number. I hope to call them sometime this week.

If you try the MANT310, please post your findings.

Thanks,
Joe
post #7 of 31 Old 12-27-2007, 10:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Radio Shack's indoor models are generally better performers than the Philips'.
post #8 of 31 Old 12-29-2007, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

To follow-up I've returned the MANT510, since it can't hold the gain setting. It must be a design flaw or something since others have experienced the same behavior.

I've also tried the MANT310 with not good results. Found it to be sensitive to location and not very stable reception.

Finally, tried MANT410 with very good digital reception, no repositioning, and no problems with the gain falling off. In fact, I believe its performance is better then the MANT510. The MANT410 has separate UHF and VHF gain settings; is available at WalMart; and slightly cheaper then the MANT510.

With the MANT410 I am able to get a digital signal over 20 miles away without repositioning the antenna (although the picture is broken up). With the 510, I'd have to move the antenna near a window and face it in the opposite direction.

I am happy now. Of course, your mile may vary.

Thanks,
Joe
post #9 of 31 Old 12-30-2007, 12:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
You're happy with a picture that keeps breaking up?
post #10 of 31 Old 12-30-2007, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

You're happy with a picture that keeps breaking up?

To answer your question - no. I apologize for the confusion.

The digital channel that's 20+ miles away breaks-up, which is a DC station. I live in the Baltimore region and local stations are perfect. I'd have to move the antenna closer to a window and reposition the antenna ~180 degrees for DC.

My point was that without repositioning or moving the antenna to a window, I am able to get the DC station. Something not possible with any of the indoor antenna I've tried. The MANT410 provides me the best reception (so far) of all the indoor antenna's I've tested.

In the future, I may experiment with a second antenna pointed towards DC, but for now the Baltimore stations are all I need.

Joe
post #11 of 31 Old 01-01-2008, 05:59 PM

I like in South Baltimore also, I just got the Philips MANT510 on the 2nd Floor of my house, I don't see any improvement over the budget Radio Shack Indoor Antenna; in fact I lost my DC channels.

I would like an add a "hell yeah" for the black Radio Shack amplified Indoor Antenna w/Remote (looks like a Mushroom or the Starship Enterprise)... I have it on the 3rd floor, facing away from DC and I get DC channels from Baltimore clear as day, no angle adjustment from the Factory Setting.

I've noticed the LEDs dropping lower, so I may return the MANT 510 tomorrow and grab the MANT410
post #12 of 31 Old 01-02-2008, 08:46 PM

I have not experienced any problem with the uhf channels, however my problem is with the vhf channel which is only 11 miles away. I get absolutely no digital signal however I can pull the analog signal just fine.
post #13 of 31 Old 01-03-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Radio Shack's indoor models are generally better performers than the Philips'.

That's what I am currently using a non-amplflied Radio Shack antenna that was given to me by a friend... seems to be a old model which worked better than MANT510. just that CW digital station which is about 30 miles away keep fluctuating causing breakup. When using MANT510, it just made it harder to pull in that station.

Edit: I just looked at my antenna turns out it is a Radio Shack 15-1852
( http://support.radioshack.com/produc...s&ID=006001001 scroll to that number )

Picture shown below...
LL
post #14 of 31 Old 01-03-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMD View Post

My experience with the MANT510 has been very good. With the gain set half way I am able to maintain reception on all digital channels (in my reach) during high winds and bad weather. This is the third antenna model I've tried and the first to accomplish good reception. Unfortunately, it doesn't maintain the gain setting.

I've emailed Philips about the behavior, but they referred me to a toll free number. I hope to call them sometime this week.

If you try the MANT310, please post your findings.

Thanks,
Joe

I returned MANT510 and got MANT410 today I am not satisfied... I went back to my Radio Shack antenna (non-amplified) because MANT410 can't pick up CW Digital station 30 mi away when the loop is positioned the same way I did with RS ant.

I am going to return MANT410 tomorrow and stick with my current RS ant. anyway...
post #15 of 31 Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 PM

Great.... I just did a search for "MANT510 gain reset" on google and this page came up. Looks like I'm having the exact same problem as everyone else. Wish I knew that last week when I bought this from Walmart!

Walmart also has an RCA with 55dB gain listed on the box, for a similar price (from what I remember). Anyone know anything about that one versus the MANT410 for $27?

-T
post #16 of 31 Old 04-01-2008, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I acquired a Magnavox branded MANT300 amplified indoor antenna used at a "PC Recycle" store. It worked very well at my parents' condo, the amplifier was stable and the elements worked better than either the Radio Shack 15-1868 or the GE Optima TV24713 (also acquired used).
post #17 of 31 Old 04-01-2008, 06:44 AM

Huh. I've owned the MANT510 for over a year & have never had this problem. It's probably been on continuously for 15 months now. Maybe there are recent QA issues in the factory or something.
post #18 of 31 Old 04-01-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddnhead View Post

Huh. I've owned the MANT510 for over a year & have never had this problem. It's probably been on continuously for 15 months now. Maybe there are recent QA issues in the factory or something.

Lucky!! We've got a major clog on Tuesdays where we have to go 4 tuners deep, so I'll change it out tomorrow. But it is really a lot of work threading cables, plugs, and pulling out the TV, so I can't risk another MANT510 even though it had the best reviews!

-T
post #19 of 31 Old 04-01-2008, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
the MANT510 is a piece of junk, had one and returned it, didn't work at all, and there was a bunch of them at a closeout store, there's usually a reason why stuff like this winds up in discount and liquidation type stores.
post #20 of 31 Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonic View Post

Great.... I just did a search for "MANT510 gain reset" on google and this page came up. Looks like I'm having the exact same problem as everyone else. Wish I knew that last week when I bought this from Walmart!

Walmart also has an RCA with 55dB gain listed on the box, for a similar price (from what I remember). Anyone know anything about that one versus the MANT410 for $27?

None of the numbers on indoor antennas really mean anything. It does not matter how strong the amplifier is, if the basic antenna design does not pick up a signal all that the amplifier does is amplify the noise. Also on close-in stations, too much amplification destroys signal quality.
Generally thought to be the best indoor antenna design is the Philips/Zenith Silver Sensor HDTV1. It is very directional, and is UHF-only. There is a Terk "clone" the HDTVi, which has added "rabbit ear" dipoles for VHF. These are both unamplified antennas. If you have stations in different directions and are trying to get them without moving the antenna, you can try a loop antenna, with dipoles if you need VHF. There is no "best" loop antenna, they all have slightly different characteristics that mean they may be better than or worse than another antenna in your location. Again, try the antennas without amplification first. Most of the "unusual" looking antennas are basically loop antennas inside a cover.
Many people use small outside antennas indoors. They are usually much better performers than "indoor" antennas. The CM4220 and the Antennas Direct DB2 are the ones most often used. Both are UHF antennas although reports are the CM4220 has some VHF performance also.
Here's an (old) report comparing some indoor antennas. http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3940 It does not include a CM4220 since the antenna was not available then, but based on other reports it performs about the same as the DB2 with slightly better performance at the bottom end (VHF). You only need worry about performance up to channel 52 since stations above that are going away in Feb 2009.
post #21 of 31 Old 04-01-2008, 12:14 PM

I got the MANT510 and an RCA ANT537 in the same price range a couple months ago. Both work well as long as I keep them on the second floor of my house. The RCA one is slightly better for analog receptor and the MANT510 is slightly better for the Digital. Now I am using both of them set at different orientation and flip between them using the switch on the MANT510. For NTSC (analog) reception, I got a handful of clear channel and about the same number of acceptable channels. I leave both antenna plug in all the time and I do not see the problem described in this thread. Last month, I got a USB digital/analog TV receiver for my laptop. With the small telescopic antenna came with it, I got around 10 digital channels. With the MANT510, I got quite a few more (up to 45 miles away). I am quite happy with that. Now I am waiting for the coupon to come in to get a converter box. If you found a problem with the MANT510, return it or exchange for another unit. I have indeed returned one. It seems the built quality of MANT510 is not as good as the RCA one. I have also tried RCA ANT1251 and it is far worse than the RCA537 and MANT510.
post #22 of 31 Old 04-01-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcsho View Post

I got the MANT510 and an RCA ANT537 in the same price range a couple months ago. Both work well as long as I keep them on the second floor of my house. The RCA one is slightly better for analog receptor and the MANT510 is slightly better for the Digital. Now I am using both of them set at different orientation and flip between them using the switch on the MANT510. For NTSC (analog) reception, I got a handful of clear channel and about the same number of acceptable channels. I leave both antenna plug in all the time and I do not see the problem described in this thread. Last month, I got a USB digital/analog TV receiver for my laptop. With the small telescopic antenna came with it, I got around 10 digital channels. With the MANT510, I got quite a few more (up to 45 miles away). I am quite happy with that. Now I am waiting for the coupon to come in to get a converter box. If you found a problem with the MANT510, return it or exchange for another unit. I have indeed returned one. It seems the built quality of MANT510 is not as good as the RCA one. I have also tried RCA ANT1251 and it is far worse than the RCA537 and MANT510.

Well, I hadn't read your response yet, and couldn't figure out that model number of the RCA until I went to Walmart at lunch. It seems like all dumb luck whether an antenna works for one situation or not, so I gambled on the RCA this time, which happens to be the ANT1251. I'm pretty sure all the physical channels in my area are VHF, so maybe the separate gains will help. Actually, all I want is the reception I had with my MANT510, but I don't want the gain to suddenly reset! I'll report back after I try it out.

-T
post #23 of 31 Old 04-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've read here for more than a year and found the Silver Sensor had a lot of endorsements in the official antenna thread. I was looking for something of use indoors. I saw the amplified Silver Sensor on display at Circuit City and gave up on the idea. That unit is far too large for anyplace other than an attic. I figured the non-amplified version would be similar in size. It's not nearly that large. And the good part, it's working better than the 510. There is noticeably less variation in signal as monitored on a Samsung 21" hdtv. It doesn't have to be plugged in, thus can never lose power.

My situation, just under 30 miles from Walnut Grove according to Antennaweb and no edges according to TVFool (LOS).
post #24 of 31 Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 PM

Almost forgot to report back...

I really liked the design of the MANT510, especially the degrees of freedom (swivel and tilt) on the loop. The RCA ANT1251 I just got gets exactly the same reception (yay!), but there are no degrees of freedom on the loop so I had to tip it a tad toward the sky to get 5 or 6 bars out of 6 on all channels.

The PHDTV1 you describe is too big for me, since I have to hide it in the armoir behind our DLP TV (wife rule).

In summary, the RCA ANT1251 is working great for me in the Sacramento area, with only UHF gain set near max, no VHF gain, and dipoles collapsed.

-T
post #25 of 31 Old 04-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I enjoyed the Final Four in hd with zero blackouts today. That's because I put a 510 in moth ball and replaced it with a Silver Sensor. The 510 had been with me for over a year and had taught me to forget about hd during high winds. A natural wind tunnel, the Carquinez Strait, is practically in my back yard. Today, those winds were over 20 mph during both games and still are as I type.

So, if you're looking for an alternative portable indoor antenna, I'm endorsing the Silver Sensor. It'll save you money, an electrical outlet, and perhaps a lot of poor reception.

p.s.
The largest part of the array is less than 15 inches, and it's not even 10 inches tall.
post #26 of 31 Old 04-16-2008, 05:26 PM

Purchased my MANT510 last week.

Having the same gain reset problem.

I called Philips Customer Service.

Talked to a person from India, and he was no help.

But I don't blame him. I'm sure the higher ups don't give the front line C/S workers the info that they need to know, to give "real" C/S.

Not all of my Local digital broadcasters are on UHF, so I need a VHF/UHF antenna.

I guess I may need to return the antenna....

But I want a good replacement for this UHF/VHS antenna.

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #27 of 31 Old 04-17-2008, 08:19 AM

I do think the Philips MANT510 has a poor quality control. I had one that the connector broke when I am hooking it up. My second one works fine and does not have the amp reset problem. Indeed, I checked it this morning and it stays at 4 LED as I set several days ago. I also noticed the 2 MANT510 I got are slightly different in packing. So I think there are different batches of it that some may have the reset problem. In that case, exchanging in the same store with another one from the same batch may not solve the problem. I am going to get the CECB and hook up to my dual antennae (MANT510 and ANT537) set-up today.
By the way, the MANT510 is much worse than ANT537 in receiving the lower VHF channels (7 and below).
I am using both MANT510 and RCA ANT537 facing different directions. The ANT537 does a lot better in analog reception particularly in the VHF range while the MANT510 is better for digital reception. I connect the ANT537 to the cable port on MANT510 so that I can switch between the 2 antenna depending on channels. When I hooked up to the Zenith DTT900 DTV converter box the first time yesterday, the MANT510 picked up one more channel (which is 48 miles away) than the ANT537, but it may be just due to the direction of antenna placement.
post #28 of 31 Old 04-18-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post

Generally thought to be the best indoor antenna design is the Philips/Zenith Silver Sensor HDTV1. It is very directional, and is UHF-only.

The highly-directional Philips Silver Sensor does seem to work fairly well but, unfortunately, is rather fragile. The base is very lightweight. Since the SS requires frequent re-positioning, it is too easy to accidentally "knock over" the antenna, causing bending to the fragile antenna elements. Workmanship (quality control) of the Silver Sensor's pieces is visibly mediocre. I wish the unit was sturdier and more durable! Using the Silver Sensor, I don't receive all of my local channels; however, the channels I do receive come in with much higher signal strength and less fluctuation/fade than anything else I've used indoors.

I just might see if I "get lucky" using an MANT510, but that is a very different design than the Silver Sensor.
post #29 of 31 Old 04-18-2008, 08:02 AM

One thing that the MANT510 is different from other indoor antenna is the adjustable embedded loop. Most of the other antenna (including ANT537) has a fix angle for that part. I can see big difference by moving that plate on MANT510 to different angle even slightly.
post #30 of 31 Old 04-20-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boult View Post

I returned MANT510 and got MANT410 today I am not satisfied... I went back to my Radio Shack antenna (non-amplified) because MANT410 can't pick up CW Digital station 30 mi away when the loop is positioned the same way I did with RS ant.

I am going to return MANT410 tomorrow and stick with my current RS ant. anyway...

I took back my MANT510, and got the Philips amplified MANT410 at Wal-Mart for $27. I like the MANT410. I can get all the channels I could before, with the MANT510. And... the gain on the MANT410 does not power down, like the MANT510 did...

I am a Happy Camper Now ! ! !

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page