Need Help, HD OTA Antenna: Audio, but no Video! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2008, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm very new here, so please forgive my n00bishness!

So I got a new Sharp Aquos LCDTV around Thanksgiving. We have Dish Network, so we got a new HD receiver and all works just fine thru HDMI. But for some stupid reason, Dish Network doesn't give us the major networks in HD...resulting in many NFL/NCAA games being in relatively terrible SD.

So I'd heard that you can pick up HD locals with an OTA HD antenna---we live right downtown, so we should be able to pick them all up. I went to Radio Shack, and the salesman said that the $35 Radio Shack brand amplified indoor antenna (with two telescoping antennas and one loop in the middle) would do the trick for me. So we got it yesterday and hooked it up:

I ran the coax cable from the antenna into the "cable/antenna" input on the back of the Aquos. I let it do an auto channel search and it found about 4 or 5 major channels. I went to the first one, 16, and it comes through for the standard analog version. But when I hit channel up once, it goes to the digital version (16.1), and the sound comes through crystal clear---but there's no video. It's the same for all the channels, too...I get audio and video for the analog version, but the digital versions are only audio---and nice stereo audio at that.

So, uh, why can't I pick up the video feed for the HD channels OTA?

Thanks for any help you can give me...I've messed with all the options on the Aquos and keep coming up empty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2008, 04:01 PM

I didn't see any replys online, but I'm actually having the EXACT same issue and it is frustrating me. What's strange in my case is that when we bought the antenna, it worked for a few weeks and then suddenly stopped working. We thought the antenna was broken so we exchanged it today, but I just hooked it up and am still getting the audio on the hd channels, but not video (while the analog channels come in both audio AND video.

I would LOVE for any assistance you could provide if you ended up figuring this quirk out.

Brandon
Old 08-19-2008, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That sounds like a problem with the TV, not with the antenna. As far as the antenna is concerned, the audio and video are inseparable parts of the same signal. It's up to the TV to extract the audio and video ("de-multiplex" or "demux" is the fancy term) and send them to the appropriate output devices.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Try unplugging the TV from the wall (power) for a few minutes. Then do a channel search/scan.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcleveland View Post

I didn't see any replys online, but I'm actually having the EXACT same issue and it is frustrating me. What's strange in my case is that when we bought the antenna, it worked for a few weeks and then suddenly stopped working. We thought the antenna was broken so we exchanged it today, but I just hooked it up and am still getting the audio on the hd channels, but not video (while the analog channels come in both audio AND video.

I would LOVE for any assistance you could provide if you ended up figuring this quirk out.

Brandon

I actually was able to get it to work. The key is, you can't plug it directly into the tv. Don't ask me why. What I ended up having to do is looking through the user's manual for my Dish Network HD receiver. What you have to do is hook the HD antenna up to the back of the satellite receiver, then mess around in the settings to find a place that allows you to do an OTA channel search. It will find them, then put them right into your digital guide listing next to all your satellite channels...audio, video...all good.

if you don't have Dish, you might need to do it differently, though, but this worked for me.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You have an ATSC digital tuner in the Sat. receiver and one in the TV. Either should be able to pick up picture and sound from an antenna with a strong enough signal. As the other poster replied the sound and video are not seperable until after the signal is received so if you get one you should get both. If you are only getting sound from all digital channels with the antenna connected to the TV, there is probably something wrong with the TV. If it is one digital station giving only sound and you get video from the other digital stations. the problem channel may have some setup that is incompatable with your TV and you should contact the engineering department of the TV station.
John
Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

I'm no A/V expert, but I can't imagine that it's a defect in the TV, as it was a brand-new-out-of-the-box Aquos. I realize that the audio & video are in one stream, but I think it's a compatibility problem with the TV, not necessarily a defect (meaning, if I were to pick up another new Aquos, it would work).

I also don't know how it would be a problem with the tv station because, first off, it was the same with every digital station, and secondly, it now works through my satellite receiver.

but again, I'm no expert. I just looked through all the manuals for my tv, and there was nothing that could help me.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I would contact the store to get the TV exchanged or fixed. The TV has MPEG decoder and switching circuitry that is not used with an external input. Some part of this may have failed.
John