Am I the only person getting DTV with rabbit ears? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-18-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have read many many threads on here about people having trouble setting up a proper antenna to receive their local digital channels. It seems like almost everybody finds that they require a medium-large outdoor antenna to get digital reception. I have a Wallyworld Durabrand cheapo 13 inch tube tv with ATSC/QAM tuner. I use this tv outdoors or in the garage mostly OTA with rabbit ears. Here in Bakersfield we have 3 UHF and 1 VHF-HI digital channel. I get almost flawless reception on all of them with a pair of rabbit ears (a 30+ years old antenna at that). Yes, rabbit ears for UHF. There are lots of houses and trees between me and the transmitters. The only problems I have are brief dropouts or pixellation if someone walks between the antenna and transmitter or if an airplane flies by in that direction. Am I just extremely lucky to get digital reception with such a weak antenna setup?

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Not at all. I use 'em a lot. And I recommend anyone inside of 20 miles from a transmitter at least give 'em a shot. "Start cheap and keep receipts." That's my motto. Wallyworld will take em back if they don't work.

Thing with ATSC reception is, it's all or nothing. Any multipath can cause a loss of picture. With analog, someone walking through the room or a plane flying overhead might ghost the picture temporarily, but with digital, the picture could go away, entirely. And many people might be in places where one or more stations require adjustments to the ears to optimize the signal for minimum picture dropouts. That can be maddening. Easier to just hang some more aluminum so the signal quality is always adequate.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-18-2008, 03:07 PM

I am within 24 miles of 3 of my 4 locals and "rabbit ears" would not bring anything in! I went with a DB8 and get those plus the 4th which is 65 miles away.

Well, Here's my Sig!!!
post #4 of 13 Old 01-18-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

"Start cheap and keep receipts." That's my motto.

I like that. I'll have to remember it.

Pics from my TV
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-18-2008, 07:11 PM

i was pulling in all the uhf stations in my area with rabbit ears but graduated to a db4 in the attic feeding 3 different tvs (eventually) because my wife thought rabbit ears were unsightly.

Thanks.
- Jay
post #6 of 13 Old 01-18-2008, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A couple factors come into play. As mentioned, rabbit ears are often considered bad looking (in a world where people buy leopard print). Also, depending on how the house is already wired, it can sometimes be easier to feed the whole house from an outdoor antenna than to try to manage putting rabbit ears on each TV.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-19-2008, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The only time I use over the air reception is with this little SD set outdoors or in the garage. I have cable in the house. I have a long piece of cable which I sometimes use to connect this tv to cable outside if there is something I want to watch on cable while I am outside, but it is a lot easier to just use rabbit ears.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #8 of 13 Old 01-19-2008, 07:24 PM

I have no trouble getting the digital Oklahoma City channels coming in at around 45-50 miles using rabbit ears with built in hoop for UHF. I was absolutely astounded at the perfect reception because I had been used to reception about too snowy to watch from the Oklahoma City analog TV signals.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-19-2008, 11:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
I'm 41 miles out, and I can pull in most of the channels with rabbit ears here. And all but one (the one I can't get from indoors with any antenna) are UHF. I just shorten the elements way down.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-20-2008, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I do ya one better, at work we've got a Samsung SDTV in the breakroom which is currently connected to a coat hanger using a paper clip (I think someone's been watching too much Macgyver) and we get all of the high power Denver stations. It's kind of strange to see DVD quality images coming in over a coat hanger...
post #11 of 13 Old 01-21-2008, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am currently using rabbit ears on my new HDTV, I haven't been able to upgrade my dish to hd yet. I am pulling in 12 digital stations, 5 of which are wonderful HD.

I am new to the whole HD world, got 2 stations that broadcast 1080i, the others are 720p. 1080i definitely looks better than 720p on my sony 60A3000.

post #12 of 13 Old 01-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_waller View Post

i was pulling in all the uhf stations in my area with rabbit ears but graduated to a db4 in the attic feeding 3 different tvs (eventually) because my wife thought rabbit ears were unsightly.

I get nearly the same UHF reception with the rabbit ears closed and the thing thrown behind the TV. I'll be looking for something better though because I have 2-3 stations that jump from like 0-60 and back... those don't come in at all. I will not be able to do attick though because it has a barrier. I really don't care for the non digital stations.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-23-2008, 12:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewitte View Post

I get nearly the same UHF reception with the rabbit ears closed and the thing thrown behind the TV. I'll be looking for something better though because I have 2-3 stations that jump from like 0-60 and back... those don't come in at all. I will not be able to do attick though because it has a barrier. I really don't care for the non digital stations.

If you're planning on sticking with an indoor model and all you want is UHF, try the Silver Sensor.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page