Convert coax cable to HDMI? Yes, only with DTV tuner. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 84 Old 08-19-2009, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi Cantergirl, welcome to the forum! Do you know how many splitters there are in the cable system at your home? In my case, removing two splitters made a significant improvement on the SD digital channels. By adding a small distribution amplifier, I was able to add the two splitters back into distribution system without losing PQ.

SD digital picture quality is better coming from our dvr box than strictly coming from wall outlet. Not sure why though...

HTH (a little anyways!)

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 Old 08-19-2009, 06:46 PM

Liked: 32
The reason is because you are NOT watching 'digital' channels without a cablecard or cablebox...You may get some local channels in the clear QAM but the rest is basic analog SD as you need a box to unscramble the digital channels as well as the rest of (if any) HD channels...
post #33 of 84 Old 08-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantergirl2005 View Post

I think I have the same problem as the original question. Please excuse my laymen question.

I just bought a new Samsung 32" LCD, 720p. It is connected to the cable wire coming out of the wall. The HD channels are crisp (not a problem), but all the other digital channels (gold, TNT, USA, Nick, etc), are not clear at all. Cannot see clear detail in the people or scenery - very blurry. I connect my old 13" tub TV to this connection, and it comes out much clearer. I was on another forum and most of the responses were to get a cable box. Do all LCD TVs need a cable box to get a decent (not great, but decent) pic from the regular digital stations?

I have another new samsung 26" lcd, that an AV tech installed and I swear the reg digital pics were really good until I re-ran the auto-channel because some of the stations were not set up. Now it is as bad as the 32" lcd (we just took it out of the box and plug and played). I have already gone through the numerous menu options for contract, sharpness, etc. and overall still does not give a good picture. Any help is appreciated. thank.

Very few cable systems provide their extended channels (non local channels like TNT and A&E) in clear QAM. Since you can receive them on your set they are almost sure to be analog, not digital and will suffer from noise (snow) as well as low resolution. The QAM extended channels are also on the cable but are scrambled and cannot be received without a cable box. In that case there will be no noise but they will still have low resolution. If your cable provider has those channels, or most of them, in HD then an HD cable box connected using component or HDMI would provide the PQ you want when HD material is provided on the HD channels. It is unlikely that performing the auto-channel had any effect on the PQ of the 26.

If it isn't 720p or 1080i/p it isn't HD. If it is 720p or 1080i/p it may not be HD content.
post #34 of 84 Old 08-20-2009, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantergirl2005 View Post

I just bought a new Samsung 32" LCD, 720p. It is connected to the cable wire coming out of the wall. The HD channels are crisp (not a problem), but all the other digital channels (gold, TNT, USA, Nick, etc), are not clear at all. Cannot see clear detail in the people or scenery - very blurry. I connect my old 13" tub TV to this connection, and it comes out much clearer. I was on another forum and most of the responses were to get a cable box. Do all LCD TVs need a cable box to get a decent (not great, but decent) pic from the regular digital stations?

Hi there

As splicer010 and txrose already mentioned, the blurry channels are analog, not digital, channels.

> I connect my old 13" tub TV to this connection, and it comes out much clearer.

You made no mention of a CECB, and your old tube TV only has an NTSC tuner, so it must be receiving an analog TV channel from the cableTV service.

Check the channel numbers using the TV's on-screen display. Analog channels, the "blurry" ones on your LCD TV, use a simple number 2 through a couple hundred. Digital channels have a major channel number and a minor number separated by a dot/period or dash/hyphen.

Regards
post #35 of 84 Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 AM

I am using coax to HDTV and it works good. Now I want to use AV receiver for those HD channels and that receiver Marantz SR5004 does not have coax input for audio or video. How do I connect it?
post #36 of 84 Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

How do I connect it?

read this thread.
post #37 of 84 Old 10-13-2009, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saumil View Post

I am using coax to HDTV and it works good. Now I want to use AV receiver for those HD channels and that receiver Marantz SR5004 does not have coax input for audio or video. How do I connect it?

Your A/V receiver does not have a tuner for cable or Digital TV; you can not connect the coax cable to it.

The best way to use the equipment you have is to take the digital audio out from the HDTV to the A/V receiver.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #38 of 84 Old 10-14-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Your A/V receiver does not have a tuner for cable or Digital TV; you can not connect the coax cable to it.

The best way to use the equipment you have is to take the digital audio out from the HDTV to the A/V receiver.

Thanks Ken.
post #39 of 84 Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 AM

I am very new to this type of forum. I am installing 1st time projector and want to connect my Dish Network TV to the project which has only RCA or HDMI input. My project room has Dish Network coaxial cable connected to TV. Dish receiver is in another room. How can I convert coaxial wire input to RCA or HDMI input? Or, can I connect my coaxial cable to DVD input and RCA or HDMI out from DVD player to RCA or HDMI input of projector? Can purchase multi-connection junction box that would allow this conversion? My TV receives all Dish channels but on only one TV channel (63).
post #40 of 84 Old 02-03-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipin48 View Post

I am very new to this type of forum. I am installing 1st time projector and want to connect my Dish Network TV to the project which has only RCA or HDMI input. My project room has Dish Network coaxial cable connected to TV. Dish receiver is in another room. How can I convert coaxial wire input to RCA or HDMI input? Or, can I connect my coaxial cable to DVD input and RCA or HDMI out from DVD player to RCA or HDMI input of projector? Can purchase multi-connection junction box that would allow this conversion? My TV receives all Dish channels but on only one TV channel (63).

I have the exact same issue. The only difference is that I use cable TV instead of satellite tv. Can someone please help?
post #41 of 84 Old 02-03-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
if you read this entire thread, you would realize you cannot do that. there is no coaxial cable to hdmi converter. you need to output hdmi from your Dish receiver. if it doesnt have an hdmi output, call Dish and get one. thats the only way to do it.
post #42 of 84 Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Your projector does not have a tuner. You will need a cable box to connect to the projector. If you want high definition you will need a high definition cable box with HDMI or component outputs.
post #43 of 84 Old 02-03-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

This thread is like some alternate reality where when someone asks "what time is it" and a bunch of clockmakers are telling them how to build a clock....

So to summarize (and hopefully clarify) this thread...

- the device that converts Coax to HDMI is called a tuner. It is in every set top box from cable or satellite company - and often, in your TV.

- Coax carries ALL channels, HDMI carries ONE channel.

- Unless it is defective, Coax has no impact on the quality of your picture.

- There are many types of Coax. The OP asked about the pencil sized black cable that you screw into the cable outlet. There are also thinner coax cables - like the ones used to connect your VCR to the red/white/yellow connectors for sound and video.

- to use an analogy with old fashioned technology, the original question could be rephrased as :

"How do I convert my radio antenna wire directly to a loud speaker wire?"

... of course, the answer is you don't - a radio does that for you.

Hoping this helps.

Obsession in moderation
post #44 of 84 Old 02-03-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasG View Post

This thread is like some alternate reality where when someone asks "what time is it" and a bunch of clockmakers are telling them how to build a clock....

So to summarize (and hopefully clarify) this thread...

- the device that converts Coax to HDMI is called a tuner. It is in every set top box from cable or satellite company - and often, in your TV.

- Coax carries ALL channels, HDMI carries ONE channel.

- Unless it is defective, Coax has no impact on the quality of your picture.

- There are many types of Coax. The OP asked about the pencil sized black cable that you screw into the cable outlet. There are also thinner coax cables - like the ones used to connect your VCR to the red/white/yellow connectors for sound and video.

- to use an analogy with old fashioned technology, the original question could be rephrased as :

"How do I convert my radio antenna wire directly to a loud speaker wire?"

... of course, the answer is you don't - a radio does that for you.

Hoping this helps.

Do DVD players have Coaxial input? If yes, then I guess I can connect Coaxial to DVD player and then HDMI from DVD Player to Projector. Can the DVD remote used for channel viewing? Please help.
post #45 of 84 Old 02-03-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eager4gc View Post

Do DVD players have Coaxial input? If yes, then I guess I can connect Coaxial to DVD player and then HDMI from DVD Player to Projector. Can the DVD remote used for channel viewing? Please help.

Also, if the DVD player option is not viable, can I connect it through a A/V Receiver (HDMI) and HDMI to Projector. The only problem is that there is no coaxial input to A/V Receiver (HDMI)
post #46 of 84 Old 02-03-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do DVD players have Coaxial input?

No.

There are a few DVD recorders that have coax input and Digital TV tuners, but they do not output HDTV, they output the HDTV signal as standard digital TV.

As already noted many times, for HDTV, you need some kind of HDTV compatible tuner. Either one from a multichannel provider (cable, DBS, fiber, IPTV) or an over-the-air Digital TV tuner that uses an antenna.

post #47 of 84 Old 02-03-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

....can I connect it (coax) through a A/V Receiver (HDMI) and HDMI to Projector.

No.

You need the HDTV tuner. See my post above.

The HDTV tuner will have both HDMI and component video output, which are compatible with your AV Receiver and projector.

post #48 of 84 Old 02-03-2010, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Topic title edited.

post #49 of 84 Old 02-03-2010, 01:38 PM

It seems like their is a lot of confusion going on here, so I will hopefully sum up things.

If the only way to go from the coax cable that comes out of the wall to HDMI is by using a tuner box.

If you are using an antenna, or have basic cable you can connect the coax cable directly to the back of a TV with an ATSC(antenna) and a QAM(Cable) tuner and the TV will act like a tuner box so you don't need one. With this setup you will have the exact same picture as if you had used an external box (If you have an extended digital cable package you will need a box because the cable company encrypts the extra channels to prevent cable theft)

If you are using a Satellite TV system or extended digital cable or a fiber-optic system such as FIOS or UVerse you MUST use a tuner box that is provided by the satellite/cable company to view the content.

P.S. yes I know about cablecards but I feel it is a bit advanced for this thread
post #50 of 84 Old 04-16-2010, 06:07 PM

Thanks guys, this helped me out. I was trying to do the same thing to a 23" 1080i monitor I primarily use with my desktop. I didn't want to pay cox for another DTV tuner box. I think my best bet is to get a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1950 card and run cable through the computer...that way I won't need to change input source. I'm interested in the cablecards Gloper. I'm leaning towards the purchase of a Sony 47" LCD for the bedroom and am guessing I will have to pay ole Cox for a HD tuner/box for that room. It would be better if I were looking at LCD TV's that have cablecard options. My main TV is a Mitsubishi WD57732 which has a cablecard slot, but noone at Frys Electronics was able to tell me about how it might work, if it will decode pay channels, etc.
post #51 of 84 Old 10-06-2011, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerst003 View Post

The TV has a QAM tuner and I was able to find the channels, i.e. 84.2.

However, because I am only running a coaxial cable, the quality is not what I would expect from HD - not even close.

Being I can't get a cable box, I just want better picture quality without one. I think the only way would be to use component or hdmi to get full HD on the 84.7 type channels.

So I am looking for a device that inputs coax and outputs hdmi. Basically - do the same thing has a hd cable box, but not do any channel decryption.

The TV's tuner connects only to the coaxial cable input and must see an 8VSB or a QAM modulated ATSC signal. The HDMI output/input carries the unmodulated digital audio and video signals. Your TV tuner won't even see them.

Your perceived poor picture quality has nothing to do with the fact that you are using coax input. Either you have not set up the video correctly, or the cable company is screwing up the signal.
post #52 of 84 Old 10-07-2011, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I sure hope gerst003 isn't still looking for an answer to this problem after more than three and a half years.
post #53 of 84 Old 10-07-2011, 11:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

I sure hope gerst003 isn't still looking for an answer to this problem after more than three and a half years.

No, the topic was bumped by spam, which has been deleted.

post #54 of 84 Old 02-14-2012, 09:55 AM

Hi everyone! I found this topic searching for a practical solution to the following problem: my cat turned the tv (plasma) off it's table and it fell in such a way that partially distroyed the coupling where the coax cable (antenna) fits and it can't be serviced. Now since I don't want to throw the brand new tv at the garbage, I was wandering if there is a solution to this: to connect the antenna to a device that has a hdmi/video output (that can be connected to the tv). Any ideas?? Is there such a device or is there another solution to the problem?
Thanks for your answers!!
post #55 of 84 Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 AM

There's this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250991688662...84.m1426.l2649

I bid on it by mistake thinking it was also Clear-Qam, so feel free to overbid..
post #56 of 84 Old 02-15-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoac View Post

There's this:

I bid on it by mistake thinking it was also Clear-Qam, so feel free to overbid..

Nice indeed...but no one on ebay ships to Romania...(..I'll keep looking.
post #57 of 84 Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adema View Post

?

It wouldn't work there, at all. It only works in ATSC countries. You should have made that clear before.

You'll need a STB that is compatible with the broadcast system where you live.

post #58 of 84 Old 02-17-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adema View Post

That changes everything. If you're using DVB-T get an little box to do it. If analogue, find an old VCR and use the SCART cable..

In fact, thinking about it, there are so many DVB-T DVR units you can get for not much money, you'd be better of looking for one of those. They start about $120. If only we could get them for ATSC for that price..
post #59 of 84 Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 AM

Liked: 11
I just purchased this item, http://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-Coax-Comp...item4840358460

I will let you know how well it works, or not.
post #60 of 84 Old 02-26-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytyguy View Post

I just purchased this item, http://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-Coax-Comp...item4840358460

I will let you know how well it works, or not.

It will not work for Digital TV or HDTV. It will only work for analog cable, which is soon to be extinct in most places.

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page