Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 84 Old 02-26-2012, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

It will not work for Digital TV or HDTV. It will only work for analog cable, which is soon to be extinct in most places.

It says it will work for satellite systems like Directv, which is what I want.
Quote:

Coax Video Demodulator For CATV Satellite CCTV System
This is a perfect RF/coax demodulator for those TVs or desktop monitors without coaxial inputs or broken coax terminals. It also works for other RF coaxial sources such as satellite receivers, CCTV surveillance camera system and so on.

This coaxial to DVI HDMI converter will convert the RF coax signals or analog cable TV signals into digital DVI or HDMI signals with higher picture quality output to any flat panel monitor or LCD TV.

The coax input of this video demodulator can also be used for those satellite receivers with modulated TV2 out from DirecTV, Dish Network and FTA satellite for NTSC regions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 84 Old 02-26-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytyguy View Post

It says it will work for satellite systems like Directv, which is what I want.

Let's be clear about what this device does or doesn't do.

It will take any RF input, including from a DirecTV box, and upconvert the signal to HDMI, but it will not output native HDTV on HDMI from the RF input.

From the specs, the only way to get HD out of the box you bought is to have an existing HD source on HDMI or component video going into it, and it should pass that out on HDMI.

If you have an HDTV or display that has an HDMI input, and you want to watch DirecTV HDTV, the only way is to get a DirecTV HD box.

This topic's original discussion was using a source of digital cable or antenna, and how to convert that to HDMI. The only way is to use a digital cable or Digital TV tuner that takes the RF input, tunes the desired channel, and has an HDMI output.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #63 of 84 Old 02-26-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Let's be clear about what this device does or doesn't do.

It will take any RF input, including from a DirecTV box, and upconvert the signal to HDMI, but it will not output native HDTV on HDMI from the RF input.

I REALLY DO NOT CARE ABOUT NATIVE HD. And yes, I realize it is only upconverting the signal. I guess you think I cannot READ?

But let me be clear. I don't care if I have native HD, in fact, I don't care if the PQ is the same, all I want is an HDMI connection that is as good or better than what I currently have. And the only reason I purchased this item is because Directv changed their GUI (software), and some premium channels will not allow me to view channels that I have recorded because there is no HD cables attached to my modulated TV.

And I thought someone here might be interested in the device, and, of course, I am will to try it at my expense.
post #64 of 84 Old 02-26-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

And the only reason I purchased this item is because Directv changed their GUI (software), and some premium channels will not allow me to view channels that I have recorded because there is no HD cables attached to my modulated TV.

This won't help. As far as the Directv box is concerned you are still using only the RF output.
post #65 of 84 Old 02-26-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I REALLY DO NOT CARE ABOUT NATIVE HD. And yes, I realize it is only upconverting the signal. I guess you think I cannot READ?

You do know this is an HDTV forum, don't you? The assumption here is always HD, unless someone calls it out otherwise.

Quote:

And I thought someone here might be interested in the device,

Very, very unlikely.

Quote:

and, of course, I am will to try it at my expense.

Good luck, but based on what you've said, it probably will not help; see the comment directly above this.

post #66 of 84 Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 AM

I canceled that device, and purchased this item, http://apicdn.viglink.com/api/click?...p%3Ft%3D201586

Keep in mind that I am not interested in HD viewing, just the capabilty to view recorded material, and this device gets rid of that nasty error message about lowering the resolution.

Anyway, thanks for your help
post #67 of 84 Old 05-05-2012, 12:12 PM

Liked: 10
I have anew HP 610-1050F touch screen PC with built in TV. The TV only has a coax connector input. How may I connect devices with HDMI? Can the coax input be converted to accept hDMI?
post #68 of 84 Old 05-05-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If all you have is a coax input - you can't accept an HDMI HD input. Devices that take an HDMI input and output an ATSC DTV signal are as scarce as hen's teeth.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #69 of 84 Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 AM

I merely want to plug in a VCR, that has an hdmi connection
post #70 of 84 Old 05-07-2012, 07:57 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl1329 View Post

HDMI would be useless on a VCR.
post #71 of 84 Old 05-07-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl1329 View Post

No such thing as a VCR that has HDMI. Do you mean DVR?

I looked at the specs for the HP 610-1050F, and there is no way to get an external HDMI input into the unit.

Also, there is no affordable way to convert HDMI to ATSC RF on a coax cable.

post #72 of 84 Old 05-27-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:

I looked at the specs for the HP 610-1050F, and there is no way to get an external HDMI input into the unit.

Also, there is no affordable way to convert HDMI to ATSC RF on a coax cable.

Why isn't anyone recommending an inexpensive AVR to do these hookups?
e.g. Denon AVR-1312 5.1 Channel ($140 USD)
post #73 of 84 Old 05-28-2012, 12:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darr247 View Post

Why isn't anyone recommending an inexpensive AVR to do these hookups?
e.g. Denon AVR-1312 5.1 Channel ($140 USD)

Because that won't work. Not even close.

From the original question, an RF cable carries a modulated ATSC signal. Nowhere on an AV receiver, any AV receiver, is an RF input for a modulated ATSC signal.

From the most recent question, the PC in question has no HDMI input, and no AV receiver can help with that, either.

post #74 of 84 Old 08-17-2012, 12:04 AM

post #75 of 84 Old 08-17-2012, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Don't you guys have VCR/DVD+/-R combos in the US - a combined VCR and DVD Recorder in one box. They're mainly sold over here to allow you to archive VHS content to DVD, or to continue to replay VHS content. These days they're the only real VHS decks on sale in most aras.

Example here : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-DVR20-Digital-Recorder-Freeview/dp/B003LO2RIU/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1345194279&sr=1-2

This contains a VCR and has an HDMI output.
post #76 of 84 Old 08-17-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yes we do or I should say did. They've basically disappeared from the market replaced by nothing frown.gif
Even when they were available most did not output VHS over HDMI, HDMI was reserved for DVD and tuner output if the recorder had a tuner.
Instead of a combo a regular DVDR would be more plentiful but alas even those are very hard to fine. DVDRs are basically dead in N. America and like the UK if you want a new VCR your only bet is a very cheap combo player, standalone VCRs haven't been available in the consumer market for quite a few years frown.gif
Funai made Toshibas may be the only models currently available with a tuner, Panasonic dropped out a while back. Magnavox(Funai built) is slated to come back out with a couple(not VHS) models later this year but new they've only been available through the internet from Walmart.
post #77 of 84 Old 08-17-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Yes we do or I should say did. They've basically disappeared from the market replaced by nothing frown.gif
Even when they were available most did not output VHS over HDMI, HDMI was reserved for DVD and tuner output if the recorder had a tuner.
Instead of a combo a regular DVDR would be more plentiful but alas even those are very hard to fine. DVDRs are basically dead in N. America and like the UK if you want a new VCR your only bet is a very cheap combo player, standalone VCRs haven't been available in the consumer market for quite a few years frown.gif
Funai made Toshibas may be the only models currently available with a tuner, Panasonic dropped out a while back. Magnavox(Funai built) is slated to come back out with a couple(not VHS) models later this year but new they've only been available through the internet from Walmart.

You still see one or two VCR+DVDR combos on sale in most decent AV shops, or AV departments in decent department stores. There is also a VCR with built in USB Video capture for PC archiving, made (or badged) by the same company (Ion) that also does audio cassette and record player USB capture devices.
post #78 of 84 Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 AM

Ok my problem is a little different. I want to convert a cable line from the cable company to a hdmi cable. I have a home a/v set all ready and I just got cable analog from the cable company. I don't want to run another cable up to the tv. I there such a animal that will convert to a hdmi to fix my problem.
post #79 of 84 Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryoung74 View Post

Ok my problem is a little different. I want to convert a cable line from the cable company to a hdmi cable. I have a home a/v set all ready and I just got cable analog from the cable company. I don't want to run another cable up to the tv. I there such a animal that will convert to a hdmi to fix my problem.

How is that "a little different"? That's exactly the same problem. And the answer again is no, there is no magic cable that can convert an RF cable to hdmi. You need a cable box.
post #80 of 84 Old 01-15-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Yeah.... a cable box or old VCR (as suggested above), assuming your A/V receiver can upconvert/transcode non-HD analog (composite/s-video) to HDMI. Otherwise, just run the cable feed/coax directly to the TV.
post #81 of 84 Old 01-15-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryoung74 View Post

If I read your question right it sounds like you want to convert whats available on a coax cable to HDMI and this would be a no. Your only option is to hook your coax cable to a tuner with HDMI output and then run that HDMI output to your device. Whats different about this is to change the channels you'd need access to the tuner(or somehow use a RF remote) and the HDMI cable would only have one signal or channel on it, not like a coax cable that can have 100s. Is this what you meant by your question being different?
post #82 of 84 Old 12-04-2013, 07:27 PM

I think this question has been asked before but I can't tell that it's been answered. So, here goes. I built a house 12 years ago and had it wired for what was current at the time. In my great room I have all of my components in cabinets on the left of my fireplace, and my TV is in cabinets to the right of the fireplace. I bought a new HDTV yesterday and the cable company is coming out next week to upgrade everything. Here's my challenge: My new receiver has HDMI inputs for my DVD player, Apple TV and the new HD cable box. The output should be HDMI to the TV, but the only cable that runs from the component cabinet to the TV is coax, and it'd be impossible to pull an HDMI cable through the wall behind the fireplace. I was told there is a device that converts coaxial to HDMI on both ends...in other words, the HDMI output from the receiver would plug into this device, which would connect via the existing coax to another device at the TV, which would then output HDMI to the TV. I was told it's about $500. Does this make sense? Is there anything cheaper?

post #83 of 84 Old 12-04-2013, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Look up HDMI over ethernet you can get the adapters for less than $100 at Monoprice or Amazon, I think that will meet your needs.
post #84 of 84 Old 12-05-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 285
HDMI over single coax:

http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-40575-TruLink-Receiver/dp/B005SHWWO2

You will also need a transmitter. wink.gif

EDIT:
Here's a "kit":
http://buddymall.com/products/Cablestogo-40574-HDMI%252dover%252dcoaxial-extender-kit.html

As for HDMI over ethernet, I believe that requires cat5/5e/6 cable. So if new cable(s) can't be run, this solution may not work.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page