DirecTV error 771 driving me crazy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-22-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been a DirecTV customer for the past 11 years. I was a proud customer for the first 9 or so, then I purchased my first HDTV.

My problem (and first ever post to a forum) is this: I get 771 searching for signal errors pretty regularly. This problem NEVER happened until additional HD channels started launching in the last few months. If I change the channels back and forth eventually the channel comes in. However, my HR20 has series links to some of the HD channels and it is failing to record shows because when it changes the channels to get one of my shows, the 771 appears.

I know I'm not alone on this. Two people in my neighborhood have this issue as well. We have perfect line of sight, we never have pixelated pictures or anything that describes a degraded signal. When the channels are there, they are perfect!

Of course directv wants me to have a tech come out for a fee unless I want to pay the new monthly charge for a service contract. NO THANKS! I don't believe there is anything wrong that I should pay for.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!! This long time customer is about to go with Brand X.

Schwance
Ann Arbor, MI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-22-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like you just need to have your dish realigned. What are your numbers for the 103(c)?

Pics from my TV here and here.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-22-2008, 06:36 PM

Liked: 12
I had the same problem. They came out and replaced both black in line filters? (not sure what they are called). No problem since.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-22-2008, 07:17 PM

It's possible that you need a realignment, or it's possible that you have bad B-band converters (the inline black filter things).

Do you have a multiswitch? You do if you have more than four tuners installed in your house. (DVR=2 tuners, receiver=1 tuner). A bad multiswitch or exceptionally long cable runs with an unpowered multiswitch can cause the issue you describe.

Poorly installed cable runs (loose connectors, non-weatherproof connectors, etc...) can also cause this issue. If you can get to your dish, check to see if the connectors are tight. Make sure any other connections are tight all the way to your receiver. While your up there, make sure that the dish adjustment nuts have been properly locked down (an issue more common than you would think).

Your signal strengths would help determine if your problem is alignment or cabling.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-23-2008, 03:49 PM

I had the same problem check out my post on this site,

Directv H20 Offical Thread, mine is on the last page.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-23-2008, 03:51 PM

post #7 of 10 Old 10-05-2011, 02:37 PM

My husband is a tech from the post office he says equipment fine but we dont get service in theday time from around noon to 7pm but it worked fine during the hurricane.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-05-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 70
You just resurrected a thread from 2008 to post something with no apparent relationship to the original thread?
post #9 of 10 Old 10-06-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwance View Post

I have been a DirecTV customer for the past 11 years. I was a proud customer for the first 9 or so, then I purchased my first HDTV.

My problem (and first ever post to a forum) is this: I get 771 searching for signal errors pretty regularly. This problem NEVER happened until additional HD channels started launching in the last few months. If I change the channels back and forth eventually the channel comes in. However, my HR20 has series links to some of the HD channels and it is failing to record shows because when it changes the channels to get one of my shows, the 771 appears.

I know I'm not alone on this. Two people in my neighborhood have this issue as well. We have perfect line of sight, we never have pixelated pictures or anything that describes a degraded signal. When the channels are there, they are perfect!

Of course directv wants me to have a tech come out for a fee unless I want to pay the new monthly charge for a service contract. NO THANKS! I don't believe there is anything wrong that I should pay for.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!! This long time customer is about to go with Brand X.

Schwance
Ann Arbor, MI

Probably dish alignment or defective B-Band converter inline w/ the coax on the back of the box.

Call DirecTV. When you get the interactive voice prompts, say "CANCEL SERVICE." That should get you to customer retention. Explain your problem to them and threaten to leave. If they won't offer to fix the problem at no charge, switch to Dish Network. That's what I did after 14 years with D*.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Yeah, really old thread. Closed.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Closed Thread HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page