From Broadcast Engineering - Legislation for DTV Border Transition Extension - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 77 Old 02-21-2008, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Solis introduces legislation to extend DTV transition along border

Congressional efforts to allow full-power television stations to continue transmitting analog TV five years beyond Feb. 17, 2009, received a boost last week when Rep. Hilda Solis (D-CA) introduced legislation in the House matching legislation pending in the Senate.

Solis, a member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee's Telecommunications and the Internet Subcommittee whose 32nd Congressional district of California includes East Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Valley, said the DTV Border Fix Act is intended to ensure that those living in border areas continue to receive EAS and AMBER Alert messages beyond February 2009. While DTV standards accommodate both, the high proportion of over-the-air viewers in these areas as well as the large number of English-as-second-language viewers could mean large numbers of viewers will be cut off from emergency information with the transition.

According to the Congresswoman, not all regions are prepared for the digital television transition, risking access to this information. Under the legislation, the would FCC continue to have the authority to deny full-power stations along the border the right to simulcast in analog and digital if doing so doesn't serve the public interest.

In December 2007, Senators Kay Bailey Hutchinson (R-TX) and Barbara Boxer (D-CA) introduced S. 2507, the companion bill in the Senate.

Writing on her Web site last week, Senator Hutchinson acknowledged that the DTV transition poses special challenges for border communities. While nationally the percentage of OTA viewers hovers in the 13 percent range, in Texas the number exceeds 20 percent, she wrote.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 02-21-2008, 05:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Solis, a member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee's Telecommunications and the Internet Subcommittee whose 32nd Congressional district of California includes East Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Valley, said the DTV Border Fix Act is intended to ensure that those living in border areas continue to receive EAS and AMBER Alert messages beyond February 2009.

That's not a very plausible cover story. What is the real ($$$) reason?
post #3 of 77 Old 02-21-2008, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post

I have no idea. What makes you think the explanation is only a cover?

Besides the alert issues, I'd guess the various members of the Congress and Senate really believe this will affect the border viewers in a bad way. I'd also guess they may be right to a much greater degree than other areas of the country.

post #4 of 77 Old 02-21-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Because it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, and because the real reason is always about money.

Just a guess, but maybe the border stations have a lot of viewers in Mexico that they don't want to lose. If that's the real issue, then of course the politicians would have to lie about it.
post #5 of 77 Old 02-21-2008, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If this peculiar bill proceeds through Congress, there's a risk that northern-border politicians will request an analog extension for the Canadian border zone as well. This kind of political horse-trading could complicate the DTV transition for northern border DMAs such as Detroit, Buffalo, Bellingham (Seattle), and Burlington VT.
post #6 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:

Solis, a member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee’s Telecommunications and the Internet Subcommittee whose 32nd Congressional district of California includes East Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Valley, said the DTV Border Fix Act is intended to ensure that those living in border areas continue to receive EAS and AMBER Alert messages beyond February 2009.

I don't consider L.A. a border area in the context of TV broadcast (it's over 100 miles from the border). Her argument really just amounts to 'poor people don't have cable'.
post #7 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 03:31 AM

When I found the Magnavox converter boxes at Walmart, the first thing that jumped out at me was the prominence of Spanish on packaging.
post #8 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post

When I found the Magnavox converter boxes at Walmart, the first thing that jumped out at me was the prominence of Spanish on packaging.

What is the relative mix of Spanish language channels on cable vs Spanish (or Spanish SAP) content on OTA in areas with a large Spanish speaking communitie in the US?

Ignoring factors that may mean certain language groups may have lower disposable incomes, could it also be that - relatively speaking - some language groups have little desire to pay for cable if it has little content that they would want to watch (or be able to understand?) If there is an OTA service with decent Spanish language content - that could explain the relative popularity of OTA with this community - though also financial matters may play a part.
post #9 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Solis, a member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee's Telecommunications and the Internet Subcommittee whose 32nd Congressional district of California includes East Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Valley, said the DTV Border Fix Act is intended to ensure that those living in border areas continue to receive EAS and AMBER Alert messages beyond February 2009. While DTV standards accommodate both, the high proportion of over-the-air viewers in these areas as well as the large number of English-as-second-language viewers could mean large numbers of viewers will be cut off from emergency information with the transition.

Cetrainly the digital broadcasts contain the amber alerts. All they have to do is get their converter boxes. Are illegal immigrants (the real reason) eligible for coupons? I'd rather see them be eligible than see analog extended again.

Congress has no will. Do they want to switch to digital and sell the 53-69 spectrum or not?
post #10 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 05:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post

The majority of the stations complaining are Spanish language stations along the border. They contend if they are forced off analog, they will go out of business since the Spanish speaking audience will then watch Mexican stations still in analog and not watch the American Spanish stations in digital only. It is money driven. My only complaint is as long as there are Mexican analog stations, these stations can keep howling foul and never get off analog thereby holding other digital only stations outside of the border area from maximizing and completing the transition. What relief do those stations get? None. This can snowball very quickly if Congress isn't careful and it is on track to do that if this passed.

It is an interesting side note that US stations along the Canadian border, particularly those across from Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal publicly have no opinion since they have no direct connection to the Canadian viewers, (they are not rated nor is advertising targeted to them) even though Canadians along the border in general watch more television from US stations than their home Canadian stations.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #11 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

What is the relative mix of Spanish language channels on cable vs Spanish (or Spanish SAP) content on OTA in areas with a large Spanish speaking communitie in the US?

Along the Mexican border the ratio is pretty high. The rest of the country it is less than 5% of the channels are Spanish only. In my area we have one Spanish language station (Univision) that serves two markets because there isn't enough people to support two separate stations and the tower is located between the two markets.

Quote:

Ignoring factors that may mean certain language groups may have lower disposable incomes, could it also be that - relatively speaking - some language groups have little desire to pay for cable if it has little content that they would want to watch (or be able to understand?) If there is an OTA service with decent Spanish language content - that could explain the relative popularity of OTA with this community - though also financial matters may play a part.

Many Spanish language people here in the US live under the radar because they are illegals. They deal strickly in cash and do not have traceable accounts like bank accounts and utility services or use false ID or steal IDs. The big joke now is Americans who pay Social Security hope an illegal will take their Social Security number and start putting money in it and when the American retires, they will have a windfall since the illegal who used it will be long gone and never know how much money or whose account he put it in and they won't be coming back asking for it either.

The illegals usually live with green carded relatives or friends or slum type dwellings run by ruthless landlords, American and Spanish, who "hide them out" so to speak so if ICE gets on their trail they can pull up and be gone in no time, so OTA is their preferred method of television.

It is really unbelievable how so many Americans think we are doing these people a favor by letting them sneak in and stay. These people are not assimilating like the Europeans and Asians did in the Ellis Island days, they have no desire to assimilate, they openly choose to live NOT like Americans but as they did in their home country in separate communities and only interface with Americans for work or money, they do not wish to be called Americans like the Europeans and Asians did (it was a honor and privilege for them and they tried damned hard to become "Americans"), just collect money and move on and eventually go back to their country of origin when they have enough money. They don't want to learn English and many do not speak English, but they expect us to speak Spanish and cater to them. They see the US as one big bank to take money from and then more on. But in reality, they are literally at the mercy of low life people who will stop at nothing to steal money from the illegals while the same people who advocate them staying illegally turn their backs on the brutality these people are suffering. (I have seen it locally. It is horrible.) That is why most Americans want this to stop. It isn't really helping the illegals and that has been documented so and that is what hurts so bad for me as an American. We let it happen in the name of "humanity." What a crock. It is all about money. In many ways it is worse than slavery. You would have thought we would have learned from that. And we wonder why the rest of the world hates us?

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #12 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post

Are illegal immigrants (the real reason) eligible for coupons? I'd rather see them be eligible than see analog extended again.

More than likely. Illegals have more rights than citizens.

post #13 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

It is an interesting side note that US stations along the Canadian border, particularly those across from Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal publicly have no opinion since they have no direct connection to the Canadian viewers, (they are not rated nor is advertising targeted to them) even though Canadians along the border in general watch more television from US stations than their home Canadian stations.

If I recall correctly it is illegal in Canada for a Canadian to buy advertizing time on a U.S. TV station. That is why advertizing is not aimed at Canada. I believe Canada passed this law several years ago to try to reduce the influence of U.S. television on Canada.

Rick R
post #14 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Congress has no will. Do they want to switch to digital and sell the 53-69 spectrum or not?

Actually they have tons of will when it comes to pandering for votes. Which is why a CA legislator would be willing to totally f-up the transition in order to gain a few more hispanic votes.
post #15 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Besides the alert issues, I'd guess the various members of the Congress and Senate really believe this will affect the border viewers in a bad way. I'd also guess they may be right to a much greater degree than other areas of the country.

Ken with all due respect who gives a damn about it, this is bull, they have been warning about this for what 10 years? what about the fact the governemnet is givin out 2 per home 40 dollar rebates? and why should I care about the other side of the border, and for that matter this side. let them learn english , buy a tv and help our economy, that's what a good American is

I'm fed up with all the Political correct crap, it is so perverted that I now have all kinds of crap where I live sent to me in SPANISH because Norwalk is consider 95% hispanic. Well I'm one, and most all I know speak English, even Verizon changed my bill to spanish recently. WTF I woke up one day and I no longer live in the USA because of all the liberal brain dead cry babies?

free the spectrum , collect the revenue and move on.............

HLT6187Sax & HLT5087 & RCA Scenium
post #16 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

If this peculiar bill proceeds through Congress, there's a risk that northern-border politicians will request an analog extension for the Canadian border zone as well. This kind of political horse-trading could complicate the DTV transition for northern border DMAs such as Detroit, Buffalo, Bellingham (Seattle), and Burlington VT.

Here in Bellingham (WA) the only US station you can receive with out living on a hill top or erecting a huge tower is KVOS 12 and they are hardly a US station.

So once the digital switch it thrown, it's not going to mean much for us anyway as Canadian TV is what you watch if you don't have cable or sat.

A 'phile and his money are soon parted...
post #17 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Do stores in Canada and Mexico, especially in cities near the border, sell cheap tube tv's with ATSC tuners and small HDTVs with ATSC tuners, or do they only sell analog only tube tv's and small HD-monitors and the only sets with digital tuners being huge expensive HDTVs? If a person goes into a Wal-Mart in Tijuana or Windsor Ontario will the tv section look like they did in America before 2007?

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #18 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 03:59 PM

Canadians watch a whole lot of American network TV, but except for Windsor they only get it via cable, so it doesn't matter.

The viewers on the US side of the border can get converter boxes, just like the rest of us. I doubt that the coupon site is checking with la migra on every application.

The south-of-the-border viewers... well... not our problem. After the coupon program is over and converters go to the $20 range that is probably the real marginal cost, I think the problem will be solved. Alternatively, since Mexico doesn't have a NTSC cutoff date, Mexico could license more stations on their side. There should be a glut of cheap SD NTSC broadcasting equipment floating around.

Also interesting are XHRIO (Fox 2 from Matamoros) and XETV (Fox 6 from Tijuana), English stations primarily targeting north-of-the-border. It looks like they will be keeping their analog signals quite a while. Not a huge conflict, I guess, seeing how little interest there is in low-VHF DTV.

This is one additional benefit to me of the transition. The Univision station I get here is pretty feeble. But, it was the only OTA station to cover last night's presidential debate (I *hate* these debates being on CNN/MSNBC/FNC!). But, when they transition (they have a class-A companion frequency, but are not up) they will go from 12kW analog to 15kW digital which should come in really well here.
post #19 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Are illegal immigrants (the real reason) eligible for coupons? I'd rather see them be eligible than see analog extended again.

Yes, they are.
post #20 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnchair View Post

Canadians watch a whole lot of American network TV, but except for Windsor they only get it via cable, so it doesn't matter.

I am not so sure of that only Windsor is the only OTA area. I was in Toronto in 2005 and I can't count the number of high rise buildings I saw that had antennas pointed over Lake Ontario toward Buffalo. I even took a few pictures to prove the point.

post #21 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Man, don't get us started.

You'd probably have to actually come and live in this country for a few years to full understand the prevailing sentiment among the general population.

It's not all as "innocent" as it might sound to an outsider.

Having read the thread I understand a bit.

The UK, being part of the European Union, has issues of its own with migration - as all EU citizens can pretty much live and work where they like in Europe. The UK has become a major destination for many "New Europe" countries who have joined the EU recently. This can't be painted as all bad though as we've also benefited from an influx of educated and skilled workers, from Poland in particular, who are filling job vacancies that Brit workers weren't, in construction, healthcare and service industries. (Some are concerned that the migration in key sectors may be exploiting the education systems of these countries - robbing them of well trained staff educated at expense to the host country)

I live in London and am increasingly used to being served by polite, educated and civilised Eastern European waiting staff in many coffee shops and restaurants, who are pleased to serve you and actually want to work, have a conversation and pass the time of day. Many of the carers in my 103 y/o grandmother's nursing home are migrants from "New Europe" countries.

Different situation to the US/Mexico border - as this is legal migration - but I do have an understanding of the cultural issues that mass migration can cause.
post #22 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

If I recall correctly it is illegal in Canada for a Canadian to buy advertizing time on a U.S. TV station. That is why advertizing is not aimed at Canada. I believe Canada passed this law several years ago to try to reduce the influence of U.S. television on Canada. Rick R

I'm unsure whether it's a chargeable criminal offence for Canadian businesses to advertise on US stations. Canada tax laws revoke tax deductibility of advertising expenses placed on US stations, except for stations legally incorporated in both countries (Bellingham's KVOS comes to mind). NAFTA specifically allows this tax-based discrimination against US border-station broadcasters.

There are really three US DMAs where the local stations can be viewed OTA in Canada: Detroit/Windsor, Buffalo/Toronto, and Burlington, VT/Montreal.

Some Seattle DMA OTA channels can be viewed in Victoria, but they are barely viewable in the Greater Vancouver area. Here are a couple of quirks:

1) KVOS Bellingham's OTA transmitter covers all of the Vancouver & Victoria media markets. KVOS effectively has dual corporate citizenship with separate Canadian and U.S. business registrations. Unfortunately, hostile Canadian government regulatory decisions have weakened KVOS' profitability as a local broadcaster. About 17 years ago, KVOS was removed from Seattle cable TV systems due to numerous syncom exclusivity conflicts.

2) KCPQ/Fox (analog 13, DT 18 remaps to 13.1) barely reaches the Victoria/Vancouver area, due to their high-altitude transmitter on Gold Mountain near Bremerton. However, the CRTC has issued a DTV licence to CHEK-DT (analog 6, DT 43) which remaps to 13.1, which would make it harder for B.C. viewers to tune KCPQ-DT remapped also to 13.1.

The major Seattle market DTV stations (KOMO-ABC, KING-NBC, KIRO-CBS, KSTW-CW, KCTS-PBS) generally aren't at a high-enough location and power output to reach the BC Lower Mainland.

The biggest trouble spots in terms of Canada / US co-channel interference, alternate-channel interference, and co-remapping during the DTV transition are likely to occur in Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Erie, Buffalo, Rochester and Burlington, and to a lesser extent in areas near Seattle.
post #23 of 77 Old 02-22-2008, 10:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Different situation to the US/Mexico border - as this is legal migration - but I do have an understanding of the cultural issues that mass migration can cause.

I think that probably a lot of people from outside the country don't realize the sheer numbers involved - I mean they're just pouring in at the rate of millions per year - and most of them from one country - a third world one. And these are some of their poorest people. There's also a pretty good amount of lawlessness and criminality that comes with that, also. As if we didn't already have enough of that to deal with.

It costs the average citizen much more than they're getting out of it. There's just a lot of unfairness involved.

Also, even though we're nowhere near the southern border, it's not true here in the Chicago area about it being only about 5% Spanish channels. At least 1/3 of the analog and digital channels and subchannels are Spanish. The whole city has almost been completely taken over by them, and the suburbs also have a pretty high concentration.
post #24 of 77 Old 02-23-2008, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I think that probably a lot of people from outside the country don't realize the sheer numbers involved - I mean they're just pouring in at the rate of millions per year - and most of them from one country - a third world one. And these are some of their poorest people. There's also a pretty good amount of lawlessness and criminality that comes with that, also. As if we didn't already have enough of that to deal with.

It costs the average citizen much more than they're getting out of it. There's just a lot of unfairness involved.

Also, even though we're nowhere near the southern border, it's not true here in the Chicago area about it being only about 5% Spanish channels. At least 1/3 of the analog and digital channels and subchannels are Spanish. The whole city has almost been completely taken over by them, and the suburbs also have a pretty high concentration.

For info - this BBC News report covers the situation in the UK :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7047610.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5376602.stm

According to the statistics quoted in that report, 1/8th of the UK working population is now formed of migrant workers. This includes Australian, New Zealand, US, Canadian citizens working here as well as EU citizens (who have a right to live and work anywhere in Europe)

There is a culture in Aus/NZ where people in their 20s come to the UK to work for a few years, and to see Europe, though more and more are staying longer.

In the UK broadcast industry there are increasing numbers of skilled picture editors, camera operators etc. working over here from other countries with English as their first language - and also from Scandinavia. (I've worked with excellent picture editors from Norway and Iceland in the last couple of years - both of whom had perfect English and a very dry sense of humour)

The migrant workers from Eastern Europe seem to split into roughly, very roughly, three groups :

1. Very skilled professionals - Doctors, Nurses and now teachers - who come to the UK to both earn more money and work in a different environment.

2. Skilled manual workers - Builders, Plumbers, Electricians etc. - who come for a couple of years to earn money to allow them to build a much better life in their home country. They are here to work, do a good job, but are not looking to migrate permanently. In some ways this is one of the upsides of the more open borders in Europe - people can go where the work is, and where they will be well paid.

3. Unskilled workers - This is the area where the UK is having to be careful. Some Eastern European people, particularly from unskilled, poorly educated backgrounds, are being lured here to work, almost as slave labour, in agriculture (picking fruit and vegetables) and need to be protected in the same way a British worker would be. (Minimum wage, Health and Safety etc.) These people should enjoy rights the same as UK workers - they are here legally after all - but they are often exploited.

Some of these counties were not part of Europe until recently - and migrants from these countries would previously have been entering the UK illegally before they became EU citizens. In many ways legalising this migration has been a good thing - as it hopefully reduces the chances of exploitation.

I think Britain has become a major destination for many migrants in Europe because of the language. Almost all European countries teach English as their main foreign language in schools - and the quality of spoken English in many Eastern European countries, and in particular the Baltic states, has rapidly increased, to the point where many who have completed a secondary education have a perfectly useful level of English.

For Brits, the last 5 years have seen a huge influx of Polish and other former Eastern European citizens - but Poles have been the mainstay. It has taken the country very much by surprise (in hindsight maybe it shouldn't - as Poland and the UK have historic links - with the UK being the home to many Poles during WWII, particularly the Polish Air Force, and many stayed and made lives here) - but although there is a bit of rumbling about "people coming over here and taking our jobs" - this doesn't actually seem to be the case. It is more a case of "people coming over here and doing the jobs we couldn't find people to do"

What is surprising is the massive increase in mainstream supermarkets selling Polish produce, Polish shops springing up, and even Polish language editions of English newspapers being published.

For me it is a bonus of being a member of Europe, it also means I can easily work, or have a holiday residence, in mainland Europe if I want to, which does have an appeal.
post #25 of 77 Old 02-23-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R View Post

If I recall correctly it is illegal in Canada for a Canadian to buy advertizing time on a U.S. TV station. That is why advertizing is not aimed at Canada. I believe Canada passed this law several years ago to try to reduce the influence of U.S. television on Canada.

Rick R

Hmm... I find that hard to believe since our "local" station has offices and accepts advertising from both sides of the boarder.

KVOS TV's signal reaches north to Whistler, British Columbia, south to Everett, Washington and west to Vancouver Island. and the Olympic Peninsula. Our audience includes viewers in Vancouver B.C. and the Northwest counties of Washington State. Recent population statistics show over 3 million viewers in our coverage area. KVOS TV broadcasts on Channel 12 in Northwest Washington. In B.C, for Cable subscribers, in the GVRD and Fraser Valley, KVOS can be found on channel 23 for Shaw Cable users, 52 on Delta Cable and check local listings for other areas.

We operate a Sales and Marketing office in Vancouver and a Studio and Sales office in Bellingham. We're an independent television station. Our broadcast day is a mix of local news, syndicated programming and movies, movies, movies.

KVOS TV VANCOUVER
320-1985 W Broadway
Vancouver,
BC V6J 4Y3

KVOS TV BELLINGHAM
151 Ellis Street
Bellingham,
WA, 98225

A 'phile and his money are soon parted...
post #26 of 77 Old 02-23-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

sneals - sounds like a similar situation in a lot of ways, except I'd be willing to bet that there are more problems as far as the crime situation goes here. The Poles and other people it sounds like you're getting I'd imagine "lay lower" when they come to another country, just as most people tradiotionally do when migrating. We have the largest Polish population outside of Warsaw here in Chicago - but they generally don't cause so many "problems" that affect everybody else. I don't want to get into the "problems" part too deeply here, because it's inappropriate and they'd probably end up deleting it anyway. Just the things that foxeng said, in a more "educational" way, were kind of acceptably borderline for around here, even though I, personally didn't find anything wrong with it. But I think from what I'm saying, you can get the gist.
post #27 of 77 Old 02-23-2008, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Off topic - but you won't get sympathy from a Brit for high gas prices...

We're paying GBP£1.049 per litre for unleaded petrol last time I filled up. That is US$2.06 per litre, which equates to US$9.35 for a UK gallon (4.54litres) or US$7.79 for a US gallon (3.75 litres)

I believe this is more than DOUBLE the US price at the pumps?

We had protests a few years ago where lorry drivers blockaded fuel terminals and refineries to protest at the cost of fuel - which came close to paralysing the country. (Our fuel is massively higher taxed than in the US - though we are a much smaller country - so there are fewer places to drive to!)

This also explains why fuel economy has been a bigger issue in the UK of late - a car's fuel consumption is a big factor when deciding what to buy. (You also pay less car tax on cars with smaller engine capacities and better emissions standards)

However this is entirely off-topic. I apologise.

Don't think I've seen changes in population linked to fuel prices in the UK though...
post #28 of 77 Old 02-23-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

I totally agree with foxeng and Rammitinski and have written many letters to my deaf representatives. Some day we may be in the streets with our position.
I remember 2 channels here in Maine reducing their power output(digital) without explanation--and I asked if it was because of border proximity. Their coverage maps backed away from the border considerably. And affected my hilly reception.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #29 of 77 Old 02-23-2008, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoledo View Post

Ken with all due respect who gives a damn about it...

I do. I'd like to see no more delays for the analog cutoff.

post #30 of 77 Old 02-23-2008, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I just did a quick survay. Dish Network gives me 25 local channels (channels 8000 to 8024). This presumably represents all the broadcast OTA channels in the Los Angeles area. I just tuned to all of them and 8 were not boradcasting in English. I believe one of those was an Asian station and all the others were Spanish. There is one other station that was broadcasting an infomercial in English that I know is normally has Asian programming (KSCI).

That is 9 of 25 not English and 7 of 25 Spanish.

Rick R
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page