S-video better than DVI-HDMI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-23-2008, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just a quick question from a newbie here. I just got an Insignia 42" plasma recently and went to hook my computer's video card to it. This is the card:
XFX PVT44AWANG GeForce 6200 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card from newegg.
It's got VGA, DVI, and S-video. When using the TV as a monitor and when playing DVD's (through the computer), the s-video looks better. The s-video doesn't look all that great when just looking at the desktop, but it looks better than the DVI to HDMI cable. Shouldn't the DVI look better? I've tried playing with different settings. But, I am new to the HD game, so it's extremely possible that I don't know what I'm doing. BTW, the DVI cable makes it look "fuzzy", for lack of a better term. Also, I've only been on this site for a couple of hours and the wealth of info is incredible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-23-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
S-video is only capable of 480i, HDMI/DVI cable of up to 1080p, it's the better connection. Try the HTPC and/or flat panel display sections for assistance with setting up your display and card, probably have better luck there since this section is for HD reception hardware (tuners, stb's, etc). Good luck

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klavender View Post

Just a quick question from a newbie here. I just got an Insignia 42" plasma recently and went to hook my computer's video card to it. This is the card:
XFX PVT44AWANG GeForce 6200 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card from newegg.
It's got VGA, DVI, and S-video. When using the TV as a monitor and when playing DVD's (through the computer), the s-video looks better. The s-video doesn't look all that great when just looking at the desktop, but it looks better than the DVI to HDMI cable. Shouldn't the DVI look better? I've tried playing with different settings. But, I am new to the HD game, so it's extremely possible that I don't know what I'm doing. BTW, the DVI cable makes it look "fuzzy", for lack of a better term. Also, I've only been on this site for a couple of hours and the wealth of info is incredible.

Theoretically, DVI/HDMI should be best, then VGA, last S-Video.

I run the following on my Samsung LED HL-T5689S RPTV via VGA:

- 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz (Refresh Rate)
- 1:1 pixel mapping
- Overscan corrected with sizing adjustments

This is my TV's native resolution. Check your TV's documentation for connecting a PC. My TV's manual has complete instructions. Try setting your video card's output to your TV's native resolution.

Avio
post #4 of 4 Old 02-23-2008, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

I'll check those settings, thanks. I wasn't sure I was posting in the right section or not.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page