MSI 7411 Motherboard Sneak Peek (share your thoughts!) - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 3490 Old 06-15-2010, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, Ive read probably half of the posts here and havent found an answer. Im having problem displaying 1080p on my tv with this motherboard, (original bios)... I actually tried two tvs (1 samsung, 1 toshiba, and one viewsonic computer monitor. ) On all of the screens, it lets me pick 1080p, but there is a border of approx 40 pixels on the top and bottom, and about 60 pixels on each side that are black, and the picture is scaled in the interior of that black frame... I cant get rid of it..? Any suggestions? Please help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3490 Old 06-15-2010, 11:51 AM

hi, you need to go into the catalyst control center, it's part of the ATI driver suite.

There's an option in there to scale the output picture, you'll probably find more info if you search ati and underscan.

HTH

Greg
post #3333 of 3490 Old 06-16-2010, 01:41 AM

I had a similar problem on my new 42" TV (it was fine on my old 32") and was able to adjust the screen size within the TV settings rather than via the media centre.
post #3334 of 3490 Old 06-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am using this mobo in my HTPC...recently I attempted to initiate the 3D capability of my Legacy Samsung 61A750....in doing this you must change the HDMI OUT of my ATI 5750 to a DVI\\HDMI OUT.....then you can use the 3D Function......BUT.....my W'7 Sound Panel shows me that my Sound which was produced by the ATI Card [default] now says "not plugged in"........turns out one must use a sound output from the PC other than that great ATI source.....so I look at our mobo manual and see that it has a Coxial OUT and my Pioneer AVR has a Coaxial IN [which says DVD underneath in small print].....this is the way I have attempted to achieve Sound....and have tried, it seems, innumerable settings in my AVR setup utility BUT cannot get sound.

Can someone here please tell me IF there is something in the BIOS that I must change ..... maybe there is presently NO signal to that Coaxial OUT????

TKS michael
post #3335 of 3490 Old 06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
PLEASE advise me on this: I checked the BIOS and found NO options to turn on or off any onboard audio. BUT on page A-14 of the Manual it shows a screen where one/we have the option to turn on or off digital audio from Coaxial.......this appears to only be available if one installs ALC888 Audio drivers from the MSI CDROM. I see in this screen that it shows the digital audio as OFF. I wonder if this means that by default the Coaxial OUT on my mobo is OFF and I need to install these ALC888 Drivers in order to turn it ON????
I am NOT using the 5 channel or 7 channel cards in my mobo and do not need these drivers.....BUT......IF I install them in order to hopefully be able to Turn ON the Coaxial OUTput.....will they present a conflict in my W'7 System???? Please tell me this if you know - so hopefully I can safely install them and forget them.

THANKS, Michael
post #3336 of 3490 Old 06-24-2010, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well . . . looks like MSI took the drivers off their site.

I have a MS-4141 (7.1) mobo . . . looking for the drivers. The driver site is there ( http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...mrvFgiPkMAztYQ )

But no driver for the sound card. Also, driver not on the included CD - just has the Realtek888 (that's not the MS-4141 from what I'm reading, correct?).

Anybody?

Oh. Running windows 7, which complicates things. Windows 7 does not like the ATI Catalyst driver. Throws an error everytime I reboot.

. . . this exhausts me.
post #3337 of 3490 Old 06-25-2010, 12:52 AM

the 7.1 board just uses microsofts own driver. There's no special driver for the d2audio part of it.

I've also had trouble with ATI's latest drivers. I've reverted back to an older version which works. One day ati will get their drivers sorted out.....

http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=dow...1&prod_no=1722

These are the same drivers as was always availiable. You can use the d2audio driver listed, but essentially it only changes the name of the existing driver. To make it easier to select.

Hope that makes sense. Only just woken up.
post #3338 of 3490 Old 06-29-2010, 01:26 AM

Where MSI USA brings you for drivers, BIOS, etc.
post #3339 of 3490 Old 07-16-2010, 11:49 AM

80sman: what version driver do you use. I also get the catalyst driver incompatible message every reboot.
post #3340 of 3490 Old 09-05-2010, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally go around to building a subwoofer for this system and I get a nasty thump when I power up. I am using the 5.1 amplifier board.

Shame that the manuf don't get this I am extremely happy with this board.
post #3341 of 3490 Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post

I finally go around to building a subwoofer for this system and I get a nasty thump when I power up. I am using the 5.1 amplifier board.

Shame that the manuf don't get this I am extremely happy with this board.

I think the "thump" comes free with all of the 5.1 setups. I try to make sure my subwoofer amp is off or my volume is down when powering up.
post #3342 of 3490 Old 09-21-2010, 07:52 PM

well, I too can join the list of people with a dead board. Lots of pops and crackles last night with the sound spiking up loud and then cutting out completely. Now there's just no audio coming through either on HDMI or from the 5.1 amp card. I built it in May-09, so no chance of RMA and I can't be bothered repairing it. The all-in-one box seemed like a nice, elegant solution, but unfortunately, the only manufacturer who picked it up was very poor quality.

So, I'm off to buy myself a Harmon Kardon AVR260 and add another bunch of wires to my setup

To Java Jack, thanks for all you help and support on this forum (and elsewhere) and hopefully this concept will rise phoenix-like from the ashes at some point in the future.
post #3343 of 3490 Old 09-22-2010, 05:54 PM

After nearly two years I also have joined the failed board club. Started it up one day and the D2 audio sound was gone.

Replaced D50 with a higher rated part and my sound came back. However, the DAE3 chip and its power supplies now get very hot (DAE chip ~60C, regulators ~100C), but only when the pre-amp card is plugged in (but nothing on the sound board itself gets hot). Picked up a board on Ebay, and it also gets hot when the sound board is plugged in. I'm pretty sure that's not normal (I work with TI DSPs). Leads me to suspect that these D50 failures are a symptom of a larger problem, possibly on the sound boards.
post #3344 of 3490 Old 09-24-2010, 07:48 PM

Myke D:
MSI uses the serial number to determine the manufacturing date and whether to provide an RMA. I had two boards fail. One twice. Both cases it was a Niko FET. The replaced part didn't fail it was another one on the board. Got RMA's for both.

iamzed:
Could this problem have existed with other MSI boards before?
post #3345 of 3490 Old 09-27-2010, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

so sad this concept never really took-off, my masterpiece would be almost perfect if it did
post #3346 of 3490 Old 09-30-2010, 05:08 PM

Hi guys, real life got in the way of me tackling this project so I'm just now getting around to building one of these. I have a CPU compatibility question since it looks like MSI stopped updating their CPU compatibility list a while ago. My board is a 7411 v1.1 likely with the stock BIOS (since I haven't updated it).

Right now, I'm leaning towards the X2 250e or the X3 425e. My primary objectives are a compromise between power savings and to a lesser extent performance. It will serve primarily as an HTPC and also have lite gaming duties. I don't have an old CPU to power the computer on to update the BIOS. Also, if anyone can think of any better suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Finally, what are the restrictions if I wanted to add a discrete GPU to this box? I know there was some back and forth about this but digging through over 100 pages does not excite me. I think I remember it being limited to a single slot GPU? If someone knows off the top of their head of any other restrictions it would be great if you could share them.

Thanks in advance for any help!
post #3347 of 3490 Old 10-01-2010, 08:52 AM

I was able to boot using the original BIOS with a X2 250 (65W Regor) processor. I would guess that any Regor would work. You are right about the GPU. The audio cards go into slot three next to the usual component side of the PCIe x16 slot. If you are using the preamp cards the auxiliary card does not require a PCIe slot.

I have been lucky with my first board. It has been working trouble free since I bought it. I purchased a second board before people reported problems. When problems were reported, I purchased a backup board. The second and backup boards both have had problems with their FETs. The second board was RMAed twice. The second time when a second FET, not the replaced one, went up in flames like on the backup board. The first time the case was closed, but the last two times I could see a bright white flame from each FET on each board. With boards literally causing flames, I am beyond surprised that MSI did not recall these boards, but I haven't yet had problems with RMAs.

If you still want to proceed you may want to consider a processor that you may ultimately have to use on another board. because MSI issues RMAs based on the date of manufacture not the date of purchase, I believe the two year warranty period on these boards are quickly coming to an end. Be sure you still have the serial number sticker on board to qualify. I don't know if the new motherboards sold on eBay do. The new amp cards I purchased there to replace the preamp cards I have, don't. Serial numbers may have been removed from the boards when they were sold to the seller so they could not be RMAed.

Note to motherboard manufacturers: if a reliable motherboard using this audio tech are produced I would not hesitate to buy several. Please include the D2 Audio Canvas software or similar, however.
post #3348 of 3490 Old 10-01-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTHB View Post

I was able to boot using the original BIOS with a X2 250 (65W Regor) processor. I would guess that any Regor would work. You are right about the GPU.

Thanks for the great information. I'll go with the 250e since it seems like that should work.

Quote:

MSI issues RMAs based on the date of manufacture not the date of purchase, I believe the two year warranty period on these boards are quickly coming to an end. .{snip}... I don't know if the new motherboards sold on eBay do.

I bought this board off of eBay as well. I'm afraid I am in the same boat as you are (no warranty). I see a couple of stickers but none of them say "Serial Number" or anything. There is a solitary sticker on the back of the board that has "MS-7411B0807049614" printed on it (and nothing else). I'm hoping (against hope) that would be it?

Thanks again for all your help.

Note to motherboard manufacturers: if a reliable motherboard using this audio tech are produced I would not hesitate to buy several. Please include the D2 Audio Canvas software or similar, however.
post #3349 of 3490 Old 10-02-2010, 08:07 AM

Actually, all my motherboards were purchased retail, but this didn't provide me better luck than many other owners. I only purchased the amp cards on eBay to replace my retail bought preamp cards with them.

post #3350 of 3490 Old 10-03-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTheNanite View Post

Hi guys, real life got in the way of me tackling this project so I'm just now getting around to building one of these. I have a CPU compatibility question since it looks like MSI stopped updating their CPU compatibility list a while ago. My board is a 7411 v1.1 likely with the stock BIOS (since I haven't updated it).

Right now, I'm leaning towards the X2 250e or the X3 425e. My primary objectives are a compromise between power savings and to a lesser extent performance. It will serve primarily as an HTPC and also have lite gaming duties. I don't have an old CPU to power the computer on to update the BIOS. Also, if anyone can think of any better suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Finally, what are the restrictions if I wanted to add a discrete GPU to this box? I know there was some back and forth about this but digging through over 100 pages does not excite me. I think I remember it being limited to a single slot GPU? If someone knows off the top of their head of any other restrictions it would be great if you could share them.

Thanks in advance for any help!

You cannot add a double slot discrete GPU because the audio board sits right next to the audio slot. As well, I would hazard a guess that a single slot GPU would be a tight fit and cause a heat dissipation issue, given that the audio board itself puts out a lot of heat. To alleviate this problem, I bought a PowerColor Radeon HD 5450 (Cedar) 512MB and replaced the passive heatsink with a Zalman Passive Cooler that flips the heat radiating part onto the other side of the slot. The whole thing installed perfectly without any mods and there's plenty of space between the flat clamp that holds the heatpipes on top of the GPU chip and the audio board. I installed a couple of fans on the Zalman heatsink to further cool the GPU but removed them since it ran very cool even under load. I use this computer only for HTPC duties (which it now performs without the CPU breaking into a sweat) so I don't know if it can also take on light gaming duties but I don't see why you cannot use a higher powered GPU with the same configuration. Also, I installed a low speed PCI slot cooler in the vacant slot on the sink side of the audio board and that extracts quite a bit of hot air.

One thing that I don't understand is why the onboard GPU still puts out a lot of hot even though I've disabled it in the BIOS itself since I don't use it. Anyone?
post #3351 of 3490 Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 PM

Don't want to join the failed board club! (Knock on wood) Really like this setup.

I have had this board running pretty much 24/7 (only quick restarts for Windows updates) for 2 years. It is my PVR, music and movie player (Vista then Windows 7 MC). Still using the original drivers.

Never had a problem (except sub thump). I have a hunch many of the problems encountered with this board may have been heat related. I have it in a HFX Classic case with large heatsinks, and the CPU is cooled with a huge 140mm? zipang cooler which is so big it blows cool air over everything! but still very quiet.

Anyway if you want to build a system with this motherboard I suggest a large case with good cooling.

DonTHB said
"Note to motherboard manufacturers: if a reliable motherboard using this audio tech are produced I would not hesitate to buy several."

I would also in a heartbeat!

My speakers are - fronts Paradigm Titans, Polk rears and Jamo center and sub. These sound wonderfull, clean and crisp.
post #3352 of 3490 Old 10-06-2010, 02:14 AM

Im in the same boat as you Ratite.

Mine has been running fine for the last 2 years but im really paranoid that the system is going to pack up at any time.

I have mine located in the living room and i turn it off (sleep mode) every night rather than leave it running 24/7 and have removed the top of the case to improve air movement and cooling.

Fingers crossed for many more years of use as its taken almost 2 years to get the wife to come round to the idea.
post #3353 of 3490 Old 10-06-2010, 01:27 PM

The first board I bought has been running fine for two years now (my recent experience has me worried about imminent failure, however). The second and BACKUP board both failed. The first was purchased in October soon after it became available. The second was purchased close to two months later and the backup several months after that. Could the boards purchased soon after introduction be the ones that have avoided failure? One more thing. Has anyone experienced failures after using the reset switch several times? Some people have mentioned this earlier in this thread and my second board may have failed when using the reset button more than twice.

Note to motherboard manufacturers: if a reliable motherboard using this audio tech is produced I would not hesitate to buy several.
post #3354 of 3490 Old 10-06-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The first board I bought has been running fine for two years now (my recent experience has me worried about imminent failure, however). The second and BACKUP board both failed. The first was purchased in October soon after it became available. The second was purchased close to two months later and the backup several months after that. Could the boards purchased soon after introduction be the ones that have avoided failure?

Note to motherboard manufacturers: if a reliable motherboard using this audio tech is produced I would not hesitate to buy several.

I am another that has been running for 2+ years now without issue. I wished I could have convinced other board vendors to pick this up, but just never got the traction I was hoping.

I think the window for HTPCs going more mainstream is rapidly closing with TV's integrating internet content into their menu systems and Msft pretty much punting on Media Center.

I think this is one of those good ideas that will never get anywhere.

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog: http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Java_Jack
post #3355 of 3490 Old 10-08-2010, 12:51 PM

I think that targeting this solution primarily for HTPC's may have limited the potential buy in. If it was possible to have a two channel amp integrated on board so that people could reuse old passive speakers with their new PC the D2 Audio tech may have become more mainstream. Using the amp board to upgrade to seven channel sound would then appeal to HTPC builders. Had the motherboard allowed for double slot GPUs this board would have appealed to gamers as well.

But, reliability issues probably made those with any interest go with another solution. Also, relying on hearsay rather than actually being able to hear a system built on the audio tech also made combating existing ideas regarding PC audio very difficult. With the GPU moving on die, the audio tech could be integrated in the chipset where the integrated graphics used to be. Tech usually trickles down.
post #3356 of 3490 Old 10-08-2010, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think that targeting this solution primarily for HTPC's may have limited the potential buy in. If it was possible to have a two channel amp integrated on board so that people could reuse old passive speakers with their new PC the D2 Audio tech may have become more mainstream. Using the amp board to upgrade to seven channel sound would then appeal to HTPC builders. Had the motherboard allowed for double slot GPUs this board would have appealed to gamers as well.

But, reliability issues probably made those with any interest go with another solution. Also, relying on hearsay rather than actually being able to hear a system built on the audio tech also made combating existing ideas regarding PC audio very difficult. With the GPU moving on die, the audio tech could be integrated in the chipset where the integrated graphics used to be. Tech usually trickles down.

I agree. I think MSI dropped the ball when their purchasing group tried to cost reduce the components on the platform. That hurt potential sales. The economy crashing at the end of 2008 also did not help.

If we could have reved this a little more, we could have fine tuned it to get the right solution in place. But, alas it was not to be.

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog: http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Java_Jack
post #3357 of 3490 Old 10-11-2010, 02:10 AM
Advanced Member

One day, one day.... sniffle...
I still have hope in a HTPC which almost entirely supplants your A/V system.
post #3358 of 3490 Old 10-11-2010, 01:47 PM

Ultimately, I think that Media Center competes with the Xbox 360. MS probably expects to remake Xbox 360 into a Gaming machine that also competes with GoogleTV and iTunes/Apple TV because of the revenue such devices can generate in content sales and rentals. A quieter Xbox fits into this scheme well.

But how does Windows 7 Embedded fit into this proposed direction of MS? It is probably related to MediaRoom. The lack of CableCard support does not contradict this when considered against the FCCs goal of universal devices that deliver satellite and cable content probably using IP. Or it is simply a way to continue to support its existing customers like Verizon.

For those who feel all hope is lost for Media Center's further support. One opportunity left for Media Center that can generate new revenue for MS is its use with for pay "terrestrially" delivered content that the European DVB-T system supports. Media Center, after all, is the only system which has DRM for non-internet delivered content protection that the content producers trust.
post #3359 of 3490 Old 10-11-2010, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

I am another that has been running for 2+ years now without issue. I wished I could have convinced other board vendors to pick this up, but just never got the traction I was hoping.

I think the window for HTPCs going more mainstream is rapidly closing with TV's integrating internet content into their menu systems and Msft pretty much punting on Media Center.

I think this is one of those good ideas that will never get anywhere.

How do you mean MS is punting on Media Center?

I personally still think there is a market for this technology but maybe in a different form. Have any of the sound card manufacturers been approached with the D2 technology? I think a limiting factor was that the D2 amp card would only operate with the MSI motherboard it was bundled with, which in turn only worked with AMD processors. Right off the bat MSI quality was questioned and it has not proven to be a reliable platform.

How about a standalone PCIe amp card? There are tons of people who want multi-room distributed audio, want the flexibility of a PC but don't want to spend $7,000 on a Nuvo system. An 8 channel card could provide stereo audio to 4 rooms in a house, and since it would be PCIe it would be simple to add another 8 channel card.

An internet connected TV with a facebook app does not replace HTPCs. Internet connected TVs serve a different market. Until the TVs come with bluray drives and hard drives built in, people will still want PCs to warehouse their media collection.

I think another major part of the problem is retailers who don't bother putting in the time to get on board with this sort of technology. I haven't been in one computer store in my city (capital city of the province to boot..) where they have an HTPC set up with an HDTV. If more retailers showed a little more enthusiasm, we'd see more customers adopting this tech.

People need to be SHOWN that their single HTPC can replace their bluray player, cable box (in countries less stupid than Canada where cablecard is available) and receiver. They need to HEAR it for themselves that the D2 amp card can sound almost as good as their $800 yamaha receiver.

I think you need to find some ex Kirby vacuum salesman to do in-home HTPC demos

Media Center has struggled to get off the ground among mainstream consumers because it is typically found only on tower computers people stick under the desk in the office.
post #3360 of 3490 Old 10-12-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

Media Center has struggled to get off the ground among mainstream consumers because it is typically found only on tower computers people stick under the desk in the office.

It doesn't help that the only current manufacturer of Media Center Extenders is Microsoft. Letting Media Center act as a server makes for far more trouble free experience for most people and may be why people want server functionality of Media Center in Windows Home Server. If extender functionality was included in the current LAN connected CE devices, as Media Center is included in most retail versions of Windows 7, issues of drivers and playback software for Blu-ray would be less of a problem for people. Maybe then HTPCs would generate more interest among mainstream PC owners. D2 audio technology has been included in CE devices so combined in an embedded Media Center Extender would make a great Extender.

However, like I wrote above I believe MS wants to move away from Media Center to a more revenue generating business model with regards to media consumption. Media Center interferes with this model.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page