MSI 7411 Motherboard Sneak Peek (share your thoughts!) - Page 113 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3361 of 3490 Old 10-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Newbie
 
oldgrowthsalmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know if it might make sense to try to extend the Diva's life by using Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive and some heatsinks to dissapate heat from those components that are repeatedly failing?? On the small components, I saw online someone using something like Arctic Silver to glue on some black fan screws. Larger components maybe can take some of those small Zalman heatsinks. (There's a computer thrift store here in Portland that is stocked with old heatsinks - the aluminum ones are super easy to cut into smaller ones.) There's a bit of information in this thread about which components seem to be failing. Yes I know there's a few of them. Or is the issue not as heat-related as I'm guessing?

This guy overclocking his ASUS router with clever "heatsinking" got me thinking:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtop...3810579b3db2f0


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Audio:Schitt modi DAC, Fiio USB E7 / L7 DAC, Bel Canto clone amps, Spendor mains, REL Strata III sub
oldgrowthsalmon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3362 of 3490 Old 10-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
jalyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTHB View Post

It doesn't help that the only current manufacturer of Media Center Extenders is Microsoft. Letting Media Center act as a server makes for far more trouble free experience for most people and may be why people want server functionality of Media Center in Windows Home Server. If extender functionality was included in the current LAN connected CE devices, as Media Center is included in most retail versions of Windows 7, issues of drivers and playback software for Blu-ray would be less of a problem for people. Maybe then HTPCs would generate more interest among mainstream PC owners. D2 audio technology has been included in CE devices so combined in an embedded Media Center Extender would make a great Extender.

However, like I wrote above I believe MS wants to move away from Media Center to a more revenue generating business model with regards to media consumption. Media Center interferes with this model.

I'm finishing off a build that relies primarily on;
stripped-down/rehashed flavour of ubuntu+myth+xbmc+boxee+other apps I can't recall right now.

It does far more than media centre could ever do.
The only thing it can't do is play BD....
But that's overcome by ripping/transcoding & playing back on-the-fly.

I'll still have my Win7 for mucking about and the odd bit of gaming.

The market is there, someone just needs to tie it all together properly.
I would if I had the time/resources/brilliance
jalyst is offline  
post #3363 of 3490 Old 10-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Senior Member
 
DonTHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

I'm finishing off a build that relies primarily on;
stripped-down/rehashed flavour of ubuntu+myth+xbmc+boxee+other apps I can't recall right now.

You basically summed up the problem. Most people just want things to work and even more so in the living room. Can't say this is true with Linux and Linux HTPC's in particular yet. Media Center in Windows 7 is a step closer to this than any Linux solution that I am aware of if only because it is already installed in many PCs. Also, Boxee and other such apps do not work so well outside the US. Media Center does have less of an advantage over Linux HTPCs in countries where utilizing the analog hole for satellite and cable is the only option.

Quote:


It does far more than media centre could ever do.

Media Center probably does not work as most people would like "out-of-the-box" either. What added functionality did you set up with Linux?

Quote:


The only thing it can't do is play BD....
But that's overcome by ripping/transcoding & playing back on-the-fly.

CableCard and BD support is what kept me with Media Center in order to avoid the inconvenient complications of the analog hole. What do you have to do after putting in a BD? How long from when you put in a BD until it starts to play?

Quote:


The market is there, someone just needs to tie it all together properly.
I would if I had the time/resources/brilliance

A HTPC that is modular due to its use of a wired PCIe supporting chipset and has A DAE-3 chip inside could make one fantastic AVR in few very small Boxes. Of course this PCIe chipset would have to be able to provide point-to-point functionality without bus emulation for peripherals that need a non-user accessible bus for DRM'd content.
DonTHB is offline  
post #3364 of 3490 Old 10-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Newbie
 
Flook's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just thought I would add that my third board has just died after a year of use. Amazing product! First was dead to start and the second one lasted two weeks. I loved it while it was working but this is insane. So many build quality issues with this board.

HTPC Specs:
AMD Phenom 8750 Toliman 2.4GHz 3 core 95w
GeminII 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
MSI Media Live Diva 5.1 plus the preamp soundcard MS-7411 Motherboard
Onboard ATI Radeon HD3200
4 x 1 terabyte sata segate 7200.12 hard drives
4 case fans - 3 x ENERMAX UC-8EB 80mm; 1 x Scythe KAMA FLEX 92mm
Kingston 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS
SILVERSTONE Media Center / HTPC Case
1080p 42" Dynex LCD
5.1 Polk Audio Surround Sound - RM6750
Flook is offline  
post #3365 of 3490 Old 10-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
jalyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTHB View Post

You basically summed up the problem. Most people just want things to work and even more so in the living room. Can't say this is true with Linux and Linux HTPC's in particular yet. Media Center in Windows 7 is a step closer to this than any Linux solution that I am aware of if only because it is already installed in many PCs. Also, Boxee and other such apps do not work so well outside the US. Media Center does have less of an advantage over Linux HTPCs in countries where utilizing the analog hole for satellite and cable is the only option.

Haven't set-up Boxee yet, will be trying XBMC 1st.
There are ways around content restricted to a US-only audience.
Plus there's a fair bit of local content spawning anyway.

And aside from streaming media from the net...
Such front-ends are better in some ways for playing local content than Myth's front-end.

I'm not using an analogue hole....
I'm using DVB-C & DVB-T, no need for DVB-S, but I may eventually try it, just for fun.

Quote:


Media Center probably does not work as most people would like "out-of-the-box" either. What added functionality did you set up with Linux?

There's a lot trust me, can't think of it all on-the-spot.
I may put together a build log soon...
I hadn't planned to post it on this forum, if I remember I'll post a link.

Quote:


CableCard and BD support is what kept me with Media Center in order to avoid the inconvenient complications of the analog hole. What do you have to do after putting in a BD? How long from when you put in a BD until it starts to play?

DVB-C is used instead of Cablecard where I am...
There is of course encryption involved, hence a STB with a smart-card.
But there is now a way to integrate this functionality into one's HTPC.

Not a solution out-of-the-box, but entirely do-able if one's prepared to do their homework.
But I totally get why some are turned-off by all the research/time required.

There's a solution for instant BD playback too, I've not yet implemented & tested it's practicality, it may not be smooth enough.
In which case I'll switch to Win7, or just schedule a whole bunch for rip/transcodes, that'll be ready for instant playback from my NAS.


Quote:


A HTPC that is modular due to its use of a wired PCIe supporting chipset and has A DAE-3 chip inside could make one fantastic AVR in few very small Boxes. Of course this PCIe chipset would have to be able to provide point-to-point functionality without bus emulation for peripherals that need a non-user accessible bus for DRM'd content.

An amp card would one be one of the "final pieces of the puzzle" for my build.
But I'm happy to have an AVR handy too for now.
jalyst is offline  
post #3366 of 3490 Old 10-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Senior Member
 
DonTHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

Haven't set-up Boxee yet, will be trying XBMC 1st.
There are ways around content restricted to a US-only audience.
Plus there's a fair bit of local content spawning anyway.

What methods do you use?
Quote:


I'm not using an analogue hole....
I'm using DVB-C & DVB-T, no need for DVB-S, but I may eventually try it, just for fun.

DVB-C is used instead of Cablecard where I am...
There is of course encryption involved, hence a STB with a smart-card.
But there is now a way to integrate this functionality into one's HTPC.

Not a solution out-of-the-box, but entirely do-able if one's prepared to do their homework.
But I totally get why some are turned-off by all the research/time required.

I have a system that uses CableCard and have another system where DVB is used. Unfortunately, the CAMs are built into the STBs and are not removable. So, tuner cards like FloppyDTV (back on market) will not work without third party CAMS that hack NDS encryption for cable or satellite. DVB-S and DVB-C are pricey, but provide the only real choices for content here. Even so, I am looking into DVB-T PCIe tuners for now. As you may guess, I am really interested in solutions to content restrictions for use outside the US.
Quote:


There's a solution for instant BD playback too, I've not yet implemented & tested it's practicality, it may not be smooth enough.
In which case I'll switch to Win7, or just schedule a whole bunch for rip/transcodes, that'll be ready for instant playback from my NAS.

What tools do you use? Would like to learn about the practicality of the BD solution.
Quote:


An amp card would one be one of the "final pieces of the puzzle" for my build.
But I'm happy to have an AVR handy too for now.

While my Media Live Divas continue to work or remain under warranty, I will stick with Win 7 since I don't believe surround audio drivers are available for Linux. The audio is compatible with UAA drivers, but Linux drivers that support UAA have been reported not to work.
DonTHB is offline  
post #3367 of 3490 Old 10-27-2010, 02:08 AM
Newbie
 
oldgrowthsalmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTHB View Post

What methods do you use?

While my Media Live Divas continue to work or remain under warranty, I will stick with Win 7 since I don't believe surround audio drivers are available for Linux. The audio is compatible with UAA drivers, but Linux drivers that support UAA have been reported not to work.

That's too bad about no Linux drivers for 7411's UAA, but XBMC nightly builds now allow hardware acceleration, so no more studder studder when playing 1080i on my Diva. And they support BD playback now, too, I read. Yes, I know you can't use a cable card w/ XMBC, so that still won't work for lots of people. I don't use a cable card, so it works for me for now. As for windows 7, I just set the machine up to boot straight to full screen XBMC so I can don't have to see win 7 that often. Also, XBMC plays pretty well w/ my Linux NAS, especially if I enable wins server in linux. (But then the mac pro clone fails to see it for some reason.) Not sure when Dharma build will come out of Beta, but it'll certainly make XBMC worth another look.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Audio:Schitt modi DAC, Fiio USB E7 / L7 DAC, Bel Canto clone amps, Spendor mains, REL Strata III sub
oldgrowthsalmon is offline  
post #3368 of 3490 Old 10-31-2010, 02:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
jalyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTHB View Post

What methods do you use?

It's bookmarked or I read about it somewhere, LOL.
Sorry that's all I can say, I haven't got up to it yet!
T'would involve proxying of some sort I'd imagine.

But I may not even bother with that aspect...
Now that there's plenty of local content coming on-board.

Quote:


I have a system that uses CableCard and have another system where DVB is used. Unfortunately, the CAMs are built into the STBs and are not removable. So, tuner cards like FloppyDTV (back on market) will not work without third party CAMS that hack NDS encryption for cable or satellite. DVB-S and DVB-C are pricey, but provide the only real choices for content here. Even so, I am looking into DVB-T PCIe tuners for now. As you may guess, I am really interested in solutions to content restrictions for use outside the US.

I'm not aware of anywhere in the world that has Cable-Card & DVB-C.
Are you living between two countries?
DVB-S is prolly totally do-able in a cable-card country, because of it's broadcast footprint.

To put it very simply....
For DVB-C I'm using OSCAM (softcam) + smart-card + smart-card reader + DVB-C tuner.
There's more to it than that of course...
Many have it working nicely, pop into the OSCAM forums.

DVB-T's a lot simpler, almost plug & play, if you choose your hardware correctly.
EPG & scheduled recording can take a bit of messing around but.

Quote:


What tools do you use? Would like to learn about the practicality of the BD solution.

Sorry, I'll have to repeat: "It's on the list of things to do..."
Haven't implemented it yet, but I know there's 1 or 2 solutions out there.
Whether they're smooth in practice, I don't know...

Quote:


While my Media Live Divas continue to work or remain under warranty, I will stick with Win 7 since I don't believe surround audio drivers are available for Linux. The audio is compatible with UAA drivers, but Linux drivers that support UAA have been reported not to work.

ALSA drivers are reportedly* working nicely for the Essence ST + H6.
Yet another thing I haven't actually implemented, as I'm still finalising some hardware components.

If I ever start focussing more on the actual build instead of final components**, & if I can be arsed, I'll put-up a build log.
I've been bookmarking and taking notes along-the-away, so once I start the build it should be fairly smooth, touch wood

*dev for the dvr based on the chipset family (name escapes me now) the Essence series uses, confirmed this 6mth back.
** getting very close now, 1 or 2 major parts & several minor ones, I'm just extremely pedantic with my research
jalyst is offline  
post #3369 of 3490 Old 11-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Senior Member
 
DonTHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The reason I am so interested in your various solutions is that I spend as much as half my time where DVB is utilized, but CAMs are not officially supported by the cable and satellite providers and on-line content is very limited (other than torrents). So, I would like to find ways to utilize on-line content without requiring the overhead of a VPN and streaming content without making use of the analog hole. I haven't found any router firmware that includes proxying like functionality that prevents unauthorized use. Actually, I haven't found any third party router firmware with proxy support yet.

Would really like to hear how things progress for you (somewhere where it would be on topic).
DonTHB is offline  
post #3370 of 3490 Old 11-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Newbie
 
oldgrowthsalmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@DonTHB
Would optware w/ privoxy or squid give you what you need? I'm thinking about that for my tomato usb asus router:
http://tomatousb.org/docptware


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Audio:Schitt modi DAC, Fiio USB E7 / L7 DAC, Bel Canto clone amps, Spendor mains, REL Strata III sub
oldgrowthsalmon is offline  
post #3371 of 3490 Old 11-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
jalyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey thanks for pointing out tomatousb, had no idea it existed.
Time to do some comparos between it and DD-WRT
jalyst is offline  
post #3372 of 3490 Old 11-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Newbie
 
websherpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did exactly this to my "second" MSI 7411 (Media Live DIVA) MOBO, added the small Zalman heatsinks and changed out the Northbridge for a larger one.

Still it died shortly thereafter. And the third one lasted for 3 months, operating perfectly and doing everything I wanted until it went as well. I think it's due to the heat in my TV cabinet - even though I used 4 cabinet fans and a really good CPU fan (and the PSU fan, of course), in a low profile case (a Chieftec) I am thinking the heatbuild up was too great.

I have a new spare 7411 with the 5.1 amp card here, plus I'll get back a replacement for the last RMA's mobo soon...

... so what's a fellow to do? (I switched the HTPC to a terrific Gigabyte MOBO with HDMI and 7.1 line outs in the meantime - great quality, but still not as smooth a solution as the MSI 7411 - when it's working...).

I was thinking maybe this time to use a Northbridge mounted fan...or maybe it's time to throw in the towel trying to fix MSI's mistakes....

I'm seriously thinking about selling the 2 x working MOBOS, 2 x 5.1 Amp cards and 1 x 7.1 audio card for a reasonable offer.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgrowthsalmon View Post
Anyone know if it might make sense to try to extend the Diva's life by using Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive and some heatsinks to dissapate heat from those components that are repeatedly failing?? On the small components, I saw online someone using something like Arctic Silver to glue on some black fan screws. Larger components maybe can take some of those small Zalman heatsinks. (There's a computer thrift store here in Portland that is stocked with old heatsinks - the aluminum ones are super easy to cut into smaller ones.) There's a bit of information in this thread about which components seem to be failing. Yes I know there's a few of them. Or is the issue not as heat-related as I'm guessing?

This guy overclocking his ASUS router with clever "heatsinking" got me thinking:
websherpa is offline  
post #3373 of 3490 Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Member
 
rene.aric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
can someone please help me out, im not sure what this part is called (see attachment 1), but i need to replace it, it seems that i drove my amp card too hard, got a few disturbing the peace tickets in the process , i want to say that this is a copper induction coil, but i know id be wrong. im pretty sure that i can do the soldering and fix this problem, i dont feel like spending another 2 weeks with MSI's RMA process. on another good note, it seems that MSI is actually replacing the diode that is located next to and below the amp card with a better quality diode.(see attachment 2) lets hope this fixes the problem. also , can anyone tell me where i can buy this part. thanks for the help in advance
LL
LL
rene.aric is offline  
post #3374 of 3490 Old 11-13-2010, 06:09 AM
Newbie
 
iamzed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't have an amp card but that looks like electrolyte leaking out of one of the caps.

I also noticed that they changed the resistor next to that diode on the motherboard to a 0 ohm. On my two boards, one of which had the diode fail, there is a 10 ohm resistor. According to to my measurements on my boards the diode and resistor are handling about 300mA at 1 Watt. Which is surprising considering that 0805 size surface mount resistors are usually only 1/8 watt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene.aric View Post
can someone please help me out, im not sure what this part is called (see attachment 1), but i need to replace it, it seems that i drove my amp card too hard, got a few disturbing the peace tickets in the process , i want to say that this is a copper induction coil, but i know id be wrong. im pretty sure that i can do the soldering and fix this problem, i dont feel like spending another 2 weeks with MSI's RMA process. on another good note, it seems that MSI is actually replacing the diode that is located next to and below the amp card with a better quality diode.(see attachment 2) lets hope this fixes the problem. also , can anyone tell me where i can buy this part. thanks for the help in advance
iamzed is offline  
post #3375 of 3490 Old 11-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Member
 
rene.aric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzed View Post

I don't have an amp card but that looks like electrolyte leaking out of one of the caps.

I also noticed that they changed the resistor next to that diode on the motherboard to a 0 ohm. On my two boards, one of which had the diode fail, there is a 10 ohm resistor. According to to my measurements on my boards the diode and resistor are handling about 300mA at 1 Watt. Which is surprising considering that 0805 size surface mount resistors are usually only 1/8 watt.

False alarm on my part, upon further inspection, i found that the toroid coil is actually still good, i guess i just pushed it too hard and it made the glue melt, everything seems to be fine , its stable now, more so with the new components, so hopefully they worked out the kinks. still 100% behind this concept and design, im not to keen on buying a HDTV with built-in internet like the ones they've been pushing, i believe the HTPC has its place in a Home Theater, hopefully someone else picks up where MSI left off and improves on the design with better quality components, ANY takers?
rene.aric is offline  
post #3376 of 3490 Old 11-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Member
 
ratite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well after 2 years it sadly met its maker. Was watching TV and the sound just quit. Rebooted, still no sound. Shutdown and removed audio card, tried to restart fan working no picture, no boot.

Anyone been able to get any of these boards back from the grave? You know sort of zombie like without the audio card.

On another note I have about 10 or so other boards that reached retirement age, and are now happly collecting pensions (well dust really). For fricks sake I got an Amstrade from the mid eighties that still boots.

Mine lasted for 2 years and 2 months, beat that!
ratite is offline  
post #3377 of 3490 Old 11-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
NickB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine just did the same thing, sound quit and then a pop up window appeared asking if I had plugged in headphones or a microphone. I restarted the system but I still get no sound. Is this the symptoms others experienced?

Nick
NickB is offline  
post #3378 of 3490 Old 11-26-2010, 05:18 AM
Newbie
 
websherpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have decided to reluctantly abandon the MSI Media Live Diva. If anyone is interested I have two NEW UNUSED V1.1 MS-7411 motherboards (one has the newer, larger Northbridge heatsink) and a new 5.1 amp card (maybe two) and a 7.1 audio card going up for sale on eBay.

I'm willing to entertain a reasonable offer from someone wanting these as a back-up for their own system.
websherpa is offline  
post #3379 of 3490 Old 11-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Member
 
rene.aric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post

Mine just did the same thing, sound quit and then a pop up window appeared asking if I had plugged in headphones or a microphone. I restarted the system but I still get no sound. Is this the symptoms others experienced?

Nick

This happened to my first two boards, the exact same thing, you're gonna have to send it back to MSI's RMA dept. It takes about two weeks, everything seems to be working great with the board now.... since they revised the diodes. If you want to use the board still, you can change your default sound to hdmi, that should still work.
rene.aric is offline  
post #3380 of 3490 Old 11-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
NickB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought this the first week they were out, so it's over a year old. Are they extending the warranty on these boards? Also, is it the motherboard they repair, or the amp card?

Thanks,

Nick

Edit: Just checked my invoice. I bought it October of 2008. I think the warranty was two years so I'm one month out of warranty
NickB is offline  
post #3381 of 3490 Old 11-28-2010, 08:10 AM
Member
 
ratite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NickB does your's still boot? Does anybody's still boot without the sound card?
ratite is offline  
post #3382 of 3490 Old 11-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Member
 
TedTheNanite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, that didn't last long. My motherboard has apparently died. After initially having to flash a corrupted BIOS (so bad I could barely post) my machine has been behaving beautifully. Today, I hit the reset button once when it was well into the Windows boot and now it refuses to post. The power supply and CPU fan twitches when I hit the power and nothing else.

Does anyone have a possible fix or know where I can get another reasonably priced?
TedTheNanite is offline  
post #3383 of 3490 Old 12-10-2010, 05:23 AM
Member
 
blueskais73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been hesitant to install this mb due to the rate of failure but will finally do so now. Still my concern remains that MSI Germany would not fix my board like they did in the U.S. apparently. Could we maybe start a record of those components that were replaced during RMA? I'd really appreciate your contributions.
blueskais73 is offline  
post #3384 of 3490 Old 12-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
NickB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratite View Post

NickB does your's still boot? Does anybody's still boot without the sound card?

My system would boot into windows after the sound went out, but I didn't try to do that with the sound card removed and I can 't test as I sent it back to MSI for repair. It was a couple weeks past the warrantee period but they provided an RMA without issue.
NickB is offline  
post #3385 of 3490 Old 12-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Newbie
 
websherpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Members contacted me about the two new Media Live Diva MS-7411 boards I had for sale, and I've lost their contact information (as I've decided to let these go separately and cheaper to help pay holiday bills).

I have one MS-7411 mobo with the newer larger heatsink, one with the regular heatsink, both new, and at least one 5.1 Amp Board (new) to sell to an interested user.

Please contact me by email if you're interested.
websherpa is offline  
post #3386 of 3490 Old 01-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
NickB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone interested in trading a 5.1 amp board for the analog7.1 pre-amp board? When my MB died I bought an extra motherboard with the 7.1 analog sound card by mistake.

PM me if you are.
NickB is offline  
post #3387 of 3490 Old 05-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Member
 
barryrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought i would catch up on this thread and see how many people are still using this platform?

Mines still going strong after 2 years and 8 months now but im still a little paranoid that it may fail one day.
barryrs is offline  
post #3388 of 3490 Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 AM
Member
 
rene.aric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My system is still up and running after 2 years, I've had a few hiccups, but MSI has been great about fixing the problems. All in all I would recommend this system to anyone that wants a great HTPC. It should have been the precursor to bigger and brighter things, but it seems that production and development has ceased. Lets hope that another manufacture picks up the idea and improves on the design and reliability. I was also wondering how many other people have this system integrated into their home theaters. If anyone knows of any news about a new system, please let us know.
rene.aric is offline  
post #3389 of 3490 Old 06-07-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stgdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: MNsnowta in april :(
Posts: 2,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
my 7411 blew up last week, no post no beep codes nothing.


When the boards go bad what usually goes wrong with them? Is msi easy to get ahold of to get replacement parts? I ordered another board on ebay from someone that was selling the amp card and mb.

Its been a great system for me.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stgdz is offline  
post #3390 of 3490 Old 06-08-2011, 06:07 AM
Newbie
 
jmwbama311's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't say enough great things about this platform...until it stops working
Was the ultimate htpc solution....trying to decide if i should replace off of ebay, or go in a different direction....does anyone know how/where to find the amplified sound card bracket in a low-profile variety? All I am seeing on ebay is sound cards with full height brackets...I need a low profile bracket to affix to the 5.1 sound card for use in moneaul 312s case. Thanks in advance!
jmwbama311 is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off