MSI 7411 Motherboard Sneak Peek (share your thoughts!) - Page 117 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3481 of 3490 Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
up for the sale is 5.1 amp card, if anyone is interested. Email me at salac.pavel(at)gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 3490 Old 12-19-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
how about the 7.1 pre-amp card, anyone have one they don't need anymore?
post #3483 of 3490 Old 01-24-2013, 11:34 PM

My 7411 failed last month. Two years in, I had the D50 diode repaired by MSI under warranty and that lasted a good extra year. I think the VRAM or onboard graphics finally gave out because early on I was seeing some flickering before things warmed up and then lots of BSODs, garbled BIOS characters, and artifacts by the end. Three years in all, but I was sad to see it go.

On the other hand, there are finally now some good, exciting HTPC alternatives out there.

Initially I was going to go with an A10 5700 APU, but AMD charges a premium for them and I didn't like the fact that the weakish GPU wouldn't support 4K displays. Instead, I kept my 65W AMD 905e from the 7411 as it still seems to be one of the best performing low TDP chips out there and put it on a new AM3+ motherboard. With the money saved, I got a passively cooled 28 nm ATI 7750 card with a massive heatsink. No extra fans, no extra noise, and only adds 55W of heat to the case. Plus the 7750 is a lot more capable than the 5700.

I'm having lots of fun running mpc-hc/lav/madvr/xy-vsfilter/reclock with all the extra GPU horsepower. Never a dropped frame anymore. Plus madvr scales up SD animation so it looks HD. All audio goes out as lossless uncompressed 5.1 channel LPCM (lav and reclock) over HDMI to a Harman Kardon AVR 1700. While not as elegant a solution as the 7411, it works just as well and there is a lot more amplifier power to spare. Luckily I haven't had any HDMI EDID issues with the 1700 in the mix, so +1 for HK.

So, it seems like the era of the onboard amp has come and gone. But it was nice to be there to see it.
post #3484 of 3490 Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 AM

Hello fellow Diva fans! biggrin.gif

Ok, so I've inherited a brand new 7411 kit complete with both the 5.1 amp, AND the 7.1 pre-amp, from my uncle who never got around to building his HTPC. All are mint: the 7411 was installed and fired up once, but never again, and neither of the cards were ever installed. AFAIK, he never had it serviced, as it’s still in the original box, but then he never had it up long enough to expose any of the symptoms.

I've combed through the posts researching this board, (esp. this one) so I'm fairly aware of what I may be getting myself into, so my question to you guys is this: Is it worth the hassle, or should I move on to a more modern board and sell these as spare parts at market value? confused.gif

I have to say my intrigue has me inclined to just dive into this Diva board (ha, see what I did!) and see how it goes, but I don't want to be too disappointed later. If I read correctly, it seems that the amp is also very problematic; but as I mentioned, there is a pre-amp available, that could also work as a back-up.

What advice would you vets have for this 7411 noob,that might increase the chances of board survivability?

Any friendly advice would be kindly appreciated!

Thanks, and Cheers! cool.gif

BTW,The kit includes the following:

5.1 amp and/or 7.1 pre-amp
AMD 7750 Black, 8GB PC8500 Corsair XMS2
ATi TV WonderHD 650 Dual Tuner

(my additions:)
Gigabyte HD5450 (PCIex16)
HP RR 622 SATAIII (PCIex1)
2x Corsair Force3 180GB SSD

Housed into an Antec Fusion450 Remote
post #3485 of 3490 Old 02-28-2013, 10:21 PM

Liked: 11
1. repaired 1 of three Divas tonight 12 caps total, 1800uf 6.3v's/470uf 16v's.

2. I have a Constant thump/pulseing on the 2nd boards audio side (plus 12 caps need replacement).

3. 3rd board needs caps redone, same 12.

I'll try to give a detailed write up when complete hope to restore all 3.

All are 7411 / 5.1 amp....

then we can figure out what the heck causes these problems.
wishful!
post #3486 of 3490 Old 03-01-2013, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneibandit View Post

Hello fellow Diva fans! biggrin.gif

Ok, so I've inherited a brand new 7411 kit complete with both the 5.1 amp, AND the 7.1 pre-amp, from my uncle who never got around to building his HTPC. All are mint: the 7411 was installed and fired up once, but never again, and neither of the cards were ever installed. AFAIK, he never had it serviced, as it’s still in the original box, but then he never had it up long enough to expose any of the symptoms.

I've combed through the posts researching this board, (esp. this one) so I'm fairly aware of what I may be getting myself into, so my question to you guys is this: Is it worth the hassle, or should I move on to a more modern board and sell these as spare parts at market value? confused.gif

I have to say my intrigue has me inclined to just dive into this Diva board (ha, see what I did!) and see how it goes, but I don't want to be too disappointed later. If I read correctly, it seems that the amp is also very problematic; but as I mentioned, there is a pre-amp available, that could also work as a back-up.

What advice would you vets have for this 7411 noob,that might increase the chances of board survivability?

Any friendly advice would be kindly appreciated!

Thanks, and Cheers! cool.gif

The appeal of the MS-7411 was that everything you'd need to create an excellent home theater system was contained inside one box. If that appeals to you, then I'd say build it. If, on the other hand, you already have a dedicated home theater amplifier that you're comfortable using, then there's no real advantage to using the 7411. You can get better bang for your buck with more modern parts if you have no need for the amplifier.

I still use a 7411 for my primary home theater system. My board has served me well for almost four years now. I know that when this board dies, I will not be able to find a replacement that will do for me what the 7411 does. The onboard amplifier is truly unique. I'm sure you know you'd have no problem selling your board if you chose to do so.

If you do decide to sell, please contact me. I would love to have a spare board.. :-)
post #3487 of 3490 Old 05-11-2013, 12:52 AM

I don`t know if there are still people reading this tread,
For those who are, since i replaced the D50 diode my board is still running great for years now.
Still have my amp card running also.

If there are people in Europe with this board or amp card (5.1) who want to sell it, i`m interrested.
I`m so hooked with this board that i want spares for the future.
post #3488 of 3490 Old 05-13-2013, 01:00 AM

I'm from Italy.
Not using MSI 7411 + 5.1 amp board since 1 year or more; glad to help you biggrin.gif
post #3489 of 3490 Old 06-04-2013, 05:08 AM

My board has finally given up after 4 and a half years with the amp card failing around a year ago so i replaced that with a receiver.

Pretty happy with it performance over that time although my new components have really shown its age.
post #3490 of 3490 Old 06-04-2013, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It probably wouldn't cost too much to get that amp card fixed. Given it's size you could ship it near anywhere if you don't have a shop nearby.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page