MSI 7411 Motherboard Sneak Peek (share your thoughts!) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3490 Old 10-17-2008, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Where are you guys picking up these boards? I tried ordering one from our main parts supplier, but they have to bring them in in quantities of 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3490 Old 10-17-2008, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
They are available at newegg and alvio.
post #363 of 3490 Old 10-17-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I could not find it on Newegg or Alvio yet...but did find it at buy.com
http://www.buy.com/prod/msi-ms-7411-...209114291.html

Also found the 7.1 version on eBay, just do a search for MSI Diva

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #364 of 3490 Old 10-17-2008, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

post #365 of 3490 Old 10-19-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post

Mark,

I have a harmony remote that I'd like to tie into my system. Can you tell me if this replacement DLL will work for me and where I can find it?

Thanks.

The replacement dll will only work with event ghost and a V2 MCE remote receiver. However you can use your harmony remote as a MCE remote. I did that for a couple years with my prior MCE 2005 system.

Jack,

I will try and get some screenshots after next week, I will be away on business all week. Please give me an idea of what kind of screenshots you would like.
post #366 of 3490 Old 10-19-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Sorry, not newegg. It's at EWiz: http://www.ewiz.com/query.php?categry=0&s=msi+diva

7.1 at Alvio (under "Motherboards Unclassified"): http://www.alvio.com/product_view.as...duct_ID=654360
5.1: http://www.alvio.com/product_view.as...duct_ID=656218

That's where I got mine. Very fast shipping and response.
post #367 of 3490 Old 10-20-2008, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Guebert View Post

The replacement dll will only work with event ghost and a V2 MCE remote receiver. However you can use your harmony remote as a MCE remote. I did that for a couple years with my prior MCE 2005 system.

Jack,

I will try and get some screenshots after next week, I will be away on business all week. Please give me an idea of what kind of screenshots you would like.

I was just thinking of some screenshots of the apps you are running. Since you are not using the standard MCE with Vista, I thought it would be cool to see how your applications look and how you are managing all your different media (pics, music, video, BD, etc.).

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog:

Twitter:
post #368 of 3490 Old 10-20-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

I was just thinking of some screenshots of the apps you are running. Since you are not using the standard MCE with Vista, I thought it would be cool to see how your applications look and how you are managing all your different media (pics, music, video, BD, etc.).

I plan on doing this but I am running a non public beta so I can't just yet.
post #369 of 3490 Old 10-20-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, not newegg. It's at EWiz: http://www.ewiz.com/query.php?categry=0&s=msi+diva

7.1 at Alvio (under "Motherboards Unclassified"): http://www.alvio.com/product_view.as...duct_ID=654360
5.1: http://www.alvio.com/product_view.as...duct_ID=656218

Ah, in the US. We're trying to find a Canadian based supplier so we can use these as our HTPC offering.
post #370 of 3490 Old 10-20-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

Ah, in the US. We're trying to find a Canadian based supplier so we can use these as our HTPC offering.

If you are a system building, try Synnex. They are supposed to be international and I know they have some in stock.

Regards.
Java

AMD@Home Blog:

Twitter:
post #371 of 3490 Old 10-20-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you are a system building, try Synnex. They are supposed to be international and I know they have some in stock.

Thank you!
post #372 of 3490 Old 10-20-2008, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you!

Diana Gutierrez is heading things up for Synnex here in the US. I am not sure how they handle things in Canada. However, if they have any issues, have them contact Diana in the Fremont office.

Regards.
Java

AMD@Home Blog:

Twitter:
post #373 of 3490 Old 10-20-2008, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Diana Gutierrez is heading things up for Synnex here in the US. I am not sure how they handle things in Canada. However, if they have any issues, have them contact Diana in the Fremont office.

I think we may already have Synnex as a supplier, I'd have to check. I am fairly new at this shop.
post #374 of 3490 Old 10-20-2008, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think we may already have Synnex as a supplier, I'd have to check. I am fairly new at this shop.

Understood. I was thinking that in case Synnex Canada was not be aware of this board, they should contact Diana as I know she has all the info and has stock.

Regards.
Java

AMD@Home Blog:

Twitter:
post #375 of 3490 Old 10-20-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:

I thought that the software players downsampled regardless of that. Have you confirmed that they don't downsample?

Has there been any definite answer on the downsampling issue. I know powerdvd shows it is playing the TrueHD soundtrack, but is it really playing the full hires audio track or is it downsampling?

BTW, Jack I will try and get the screenshots soon.
post #376 of 3490 Old 10-20-2008, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Guebert View Post

Has there been any definite answer on the downsampling issue. I know powerdvd shows it is playing the TrueHD soundtrack, but is it really playing the full hires audio track or is it downsampling?

This is the closest thing to an official answer: http://www.arcsoft.com/forum/forum_p...&PID=1694#1694

Basically, it confirms that audio is downsampled. My tests seem to confirm it as well although it is by ear because of no real way to test. Even so, the sound is REALLY good.
post #377 of 3490 Old 10-20-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It does appear that audio is currently being downsampled because the players don't know if the audio path is protected or not.

The audio path on the board is protected so it does not need to downsample but currently is appears to be doing so.

Discussions are underway on how to move forward to resolve.

However, as Vladd and others have already stated...audio sounds incredible on this board (either amped or preamp). I am guessing you will be more than pleased with the audio quality coming out.

Regards.
Java

AMD@Home Blog:

Twitter:
post #378 of 3490 Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

I've finally gotten my 7411 5.1 setup in it's temporary case albeit with only a 300 watt power supply and I have to admit I'm blown away by the sound so far. There have been many a nay-sayer that a PC is too noisy an environment for an amplifier and this just shows how much of a falacy that line of thought is. I'm still working through minor kinks (like getting the audio louder - which may be a mixer setting, or too small of a power supply) but from what I see so far I'd recommend this setup to anyone.

Hopefully MSI will soon release that application to allow use of the low-level inputs and I'd be in heaven.

-PGPfan
post #379 of 3490 Old 10-21-2008, 01:19 PM

anybody have ideas on what memory i should use. Should i go for 4 times 1gb sticks or 2 times 2 2gb sticks. This will be for the 5.1 set up. Any recommendations appreciated, cheers
post #380 of 3490 Old 10-21-2008, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

post #381 of 3490 Old 10-21-2008, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strudders View Post

anybody have ideas on what memory i should use. Should i go for 4 times 1gb sticks or 2 times 2 2gb sticks. This will be for the 5.1 set up. Any recommendations appreciated, cheers

I have used both 4x1GB (Quimonda's Aneon brand) sticks and 2x2GB (Kingston HyperX) sticks. I did not see really see any performance benefits of one over another. Granted, I did not benchmark anything, but there was no appreciable difference from what I could tell.

Therefore, I would suggest go with whatever is more cost effective.

Regards.
Java

AMD@Home Blog:

Twitter:
post #382 of 3490 Old 10-22-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Assuming the 2x2 config is only a few $$ more expensive, I would go with that. It used to be that in older chipsets if you used all 4 memory slots, it would ramp down the speed on the ram, but I don't think that is the case anymore.

In addition, all current DDR2 ram runs between 1.8v - 2.1v PER STICK. Thus if you have 4 sticks (even if individually they are half capacity) they will need twice the voltage. More voltage=more heat.

Finally, if you ever upgrade to x64 operating system, you might want to get 8GB of ram. Get the 2x2 now to free up those other slots for another set of 2x2 later. Check out this Tom's Hardware article on using 8gb of ram.
post #383 of 3490 Old 10-22-2008, 10:28 AM

Cheers guys. My motherboard has just passed GB customs (2:15pm today) cant wait. S i will go with the 2, 2gig sticks. Does anybody run windows vista x64. Reading on other forums it says there are compatability issues with drivers, software etc etc. Sorry for all the question, really appreciate all the help
post #384 of 3490 Old 10-22-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cheers guys. My motherboard has just passed GB customs (2:15pm today) cant wait. S i will go with the 2, 2gig sticks. Does anybody run windows vista x64. Reading on other forums it says there are compatability issues with drivers, software etc etc. Sorry for all the question, really appreciate all the help

I put Vista x64 Ultimate on originally because I needed to test something and never bothered to take it off. I've had no compatibility issues. Issues are usually with older hardware. All drivers for this motherboard work fine.
post #385 of 3490 Old 10-22-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like the 5.1 version is up on newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Tpk=MSI%20Diva

Regards.
Java

AMD@Home Blog:

Twitter:
post #386 of 3490 Old 10-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Java, can you please check you PM, I sent you a message.

Thanks.
post #387 of 3490 Old 10-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Just thougth I'd mention that for anyone else on the fence about jumping in, Microsoft currently has a promotion going that pays you 25% cash back for EBAY "Buy it Now" purchases made using Paypal. This would bring the Diva 5.1 price down to about $150.00. Do a google search for MS LIVE CASHBACK if you want to know more.
post #388 of 3490 Old 10-23-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Is the location of the amp dependent on the PCI slot? Most pictures I have seen have the amp at the slot beneath the full length.

I would like to run a dual slot cooler on my video card, can I still use this mother board?

post #389 of 3490 Old 10-23-2008, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A dual slot card will not work on this board. Yes, the amp is locked in the slot 3 postition.

However, there are some nice discrete cards that are only 1 slot wide if you wanted to add some gaming capbabilities to this platform.

Regards.
Java

AMD@Home Blog:

Twitter:
post #390 of 3490 Old 10-23-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
what video cards would those be? I have been currently looking at the 4830 and the 4650 but both of those come with fans and I would like to have a passively cooled card.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page