AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not that I am aware of.

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog: http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Java_Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3490 Old 11-20-2008, 06:46 PM

Hi

I have a few of questions.

Are there any plans for integration of a D2 audio chipset with an intel platform, say G45? I would personally prefer a core 2 chip for the extra power to use with ffdshow.

Secondly, has anyone compared the audio quality of the 7.1 preamp version with a dedicated sound card, such as the xonar or x-meridian? This is the performance comparison that I would be interested in.

Thirdly, any more news on the inclusion of the audio enhancements and processing feature of the D2 audio chip on the PC platform? This addition would really make it competitive with a mid range receiver.

Finally, what bass management features does the D2 audio chip supply? Does it correctly add the 10dB boost to the LFE channel, as receivers do, but sound cards don't?

Brad
post #543 of 3490 Old 11-20-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The answer to your first question is no plans for an Intel version. I would suspect that a quad core Phenom should give you the HP you need for FFDshow.

While I have not compared it to a Xonar card, I know the D2 guys have and the audio performance of the D2 card is better based upon the D2 tests.

No updates yet on making the firmware updates available to end consumers. Honestly, things are rather hectic at the moment so it will take some time before we can work on that piece of it.

Lastly, I will need to check with the D2 guys on the bass management. My personal experience is that the sub output is more than adequate, but I will confirm with them.

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

post #544 of 3490 Old 11-20-2008, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
There are some enhancements already available. Speaker Fill, Room Correction, Loudness Equalization and Channel Phantoming are available. At least on the 7.1 preouts. I'll hve to double check the sub output. It sounds fine to me but I may have it boosted in my receiver.
post #545 of 3490 Old 11-20-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I seem to have hit a bump in the road.

I had to do a reinstall last night as I updated my VFD with some imon software(recomended by vista), I lost VFD control, IR control and Volume knob control on my fusion case.

I re-installed today and I can use the volume know for the realtek sound but I have been unable to get it to work on the d2 audio card. IR still isn't working either. The knob can control the sound level in the realtek audio section, I watched the slider go up and down, but it can't control the main sound.

Edit-also to add my outputs for sagetv are not equal to windows media player for some reason, meaning the sound coming out of sagetv is much quieter then windows media player. I have set the outputs to both default and the high definition 2 channel speaker to no avail.
post #546 of 3490 Old 11-20-2008, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Load the Realtek drivers. Something flaky with the iMon stuff. Had the same problem. iMon won't see the D2 stuff until is sees the Realtek drivers first.

Not sure why, just weird that way. Once loaded, you can then point iMon back to the D2 part. Tre bizzare.

Regards.
Java

post #547 of 3490 Old 11-20-2008, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsor View Post

Checked both of those and they are set as you recommend. Also, I noticed that there are no BIOS updates available either. Any chance it has anything to do with me using component out? I'm using component out at 1080i.

Hey Andy,

I realized we never finished addressing your issues. Can you provide some more details on the s/w installed and driver revisions?

I would not imagine the component out is the problem. I would guess that this may be more of a driver issue or something.

Regards.
Java

post #548 of 3490 Old 11-21-2008, 01:22 AM

Been Watching this for a while and saving my pennies, unlucky me just as it comes to Canada the dollar falls again. Sigh, in any case i do plan on getting this early next year regardless of whats happening in the market (now i am waiting on the 9650e).

Like everyone else waiting in the wings i do have a few questions. I hope its not to troublesome to indulge me.

Using RCA line in with a Wii can i get Pro Logic 2 on this?
I understand at vista does not pass the audio directly through, but not precisely what that means. Does that mean it would lag the sound or stop it all together? I am assuming my Satalite s/pdif could have the same issue, i do hope that software gets released.

Further on the topic of connected third party devices, will it be able to tell i have the one turned on and adjust the sound settings to match the device automatically?

The previous board i was looking at had DVI and HDMI on the board but you could only use one at a time, is that the case here with the Component and HDMI? Is it possible to run separate signals to both at the same time?

If i wanted to run the TV(hdmi) and a separate monitor (DVI) i would need to add a Video Card. It was said this can handle a 16x single width card, so the ATI 4850 should fit and offer a better gaming solution than 3200 cross-fire X, correct? I know this is not designed with gaming in mind, but if i was so inclined i should be able to get 95% of the games out there to run ok.

JAHarris or others using JRiver, would i be able to run the sound out Via s/pdif to my regular amp and still use the 5.1 preamp as two discrete sound cards all at once? Say left/center/right on a bedroom TV and a separate right/left in the kitchen?

Java Jack - If MSI is trying to get the word out why does this board not appear in the main board list on the global site? I can find it if i search for Diva, but seeing as this has been along time coming for some people i don't know why MSI wouldn't want to toot their own horn a little more about it. I for one would like to see this be come a main trend and would think MSI should be hollering down the hall at anyone in ear shot. I mean every year the systems get faster and bigger in the main areas (Graphics,Processors ect) but this is a huge change change for audio that is seemingly going relatively unnoticed. They paid for the R&D why not throw a little money at marketing?

I would at this point like to also say i look forward to a 7.1 amp solution (even better if i can just buy an add on card), EAX would be nice too

And finally i would like to thank the regulars and early adopters that have been answering all these questions for generally easing my mind and making this one of the easiest tech purchases i may ever make.
post #549 of 3490 Old 11-21-2008, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

Load the Realtek drivers. Something flaky with the iMon stuff. Had the same problem. iMon won't see the D2 stuff until is sees the Realtek drivers first.

Not sure why, just weird that way. Once loaded, you can then point iMon back to the D2 part. Tre bizzare.

thats the way I did it. I loaded the realtek drivers first, then the lan driver and then the antec driver for the fusion.

I am not used to vista yet and there isn't many customizations in the antec VFD menu. Should I uninstall the realtek stuff and the VFD then re-install realtek then the imon or imon then realtek. I can't tell how to point the imon to the D2.

I should uninstall the Antec software then install this imon software correct?
http://www.soundgraph.com/Eng_/Suppo...&searchString=

Edit-So video isn't downrezzed over analog outs but is audio down sample to 16/48 over analog outs for blu ray?
post #550 of 3490 Old 11-21-2008, 11:42 AM

Seems the MSI 7411 is currently the only Maui Motherboard on the market. Are there any other manufacturs coming with a motherboard based on AMD Maui's reference architecture ?

Read more about my HTPC Plus project
post #551 of 3490 Old 11-21-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You might try a complete fresh install. Here is how I have been doing it...

OS install
Mobo drivers (Cat 8.10 is the last one I have tried that works pretty good)
Realtek drivers
Imon s/w

Then go into MS audio config panel and set up audio
Then go into Imon s/w and set up audio.

Regards.
Java

post #552 of 3490 Old 11-21-2008, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

You might try a complete fresh install. Here is how I have been doing it...

OS install
Mobo drivers (Cat 8.10 is the last one I have tried that works pretty good)
Realtek drivers
Imon s/w

Then go into MS audio config panel and set up audio
Then go into Imon s/w and set up audio.

Yep that is the exact process that I did last night.
post #553 of 3490 Old 11-21-2008, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sent you a PM.

Regards.
Java

post #554 of 3490 Old 11-21-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post

Yep that is the exact process that I did last night.

What version of the Imon software are you using?

Edit: NM. I see your post now. That is an old version of the software. Try http://www.soundgraph.com/Eng_/Suppo...&searchString=

After you load it, there is an updated version that is available from the auto update.
post #555 of 3490 Old 11-22-2008, 02:34 PM

I bought the 7.1 version and I can't get any sound from the pre-amp cards. This is a new build, I have sound from hdmi and spdif and the video is perfect. Does anyone have this working? Support for this board is pretty sparse

I went to check for comments over at newegg where I bought it just last week and the 7.1 version of this mobo is now a deactivated item. Is MSI bailing on the 7.1 pre-amp and just selling the 5.1 amp version?
post #556 of 3490 Old 11-22-2008, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the 7.1 version was deactivated because there was only a limited number of them brought in for the first shipment. Typically, Newegg likes to have a large inventory of items before they will agree to stock it.

Either newegg sold out of them or hit a low enough number they deactivated it until they can get sufficient inventory in.

Regards.
Java

post #557 of 3490 Old 11-22-2008, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy joe View Post

I bought the 7.1 version and I can't get any sound from the pre-amp cards. This is a new build, I have sound from hdmi and spdif and the video is perfect. Does anyone have this working? Support for this board is pretty sparse

I went to check for comments over at newegg where I bought it just last week and the 7.1 version of this mobo is now a deactivated item. Is MSI bailing on the 7.1 pre-amp and just selling the 5.1 amp version?

Yes, Vladd has it working.

Did you select the right audio path as the default playback device? This is the most common problem that I have seen.

Regards.
Java

post #558 of 3490 Old 11-22-2008, 04:06 PM

I have many options under sound. I've tried them all.

1. Speakers - 2 - high def Audio device
2. Digital Output Device - HDMI
3. Speakers - Realtek High Def Audio
4. Realtek Digital Output

I assume the Speakers are the correct default. When I go into the Realtek HD Audio manager and set the speaker default it puts the check next to option 3 but I've tried 'em all many times.
post #559 of 3490 Old 11-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Savvy,

Are you running XP or Vista?
post #560 of 3490 Old 11-22-2008, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

some pictures of my build

Heart of the beast, and from initially playing with it the heatsink barely gets warm

This on the other hand got very warm to the touch at idle

IO backplate

Three fans in the entire system and at low they sound like a winds whisper. Much quieter then my old AXP HTPC system with zalman cooler and seasonic power supply. There is no fan on the mini ninja. The 4850e stays very cool.

Top down view

Testing connections to get everything to work. I am new to vista and how the sound works with it. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I could get sound out of the front speaker jacks but not out of the amp. After playing around with the sound profile, I noticed that the default sound was the realtek hd and I then decided to check off the speakers(I don't have a shot of this but I think others can show what I am talking about). I will have to build my d3 speakers now as the crappy 6x9's no longer cut it.

All done

I got the sound working last night but I still have to do some tweaking with it though. I had to uninstall the realtek HD sound drivers in order to get the dial working on the antec.

I will probably wright up a instal guide to make it a bit easier for others to do this.

edit-to add to anyone questioning the 6x9's I blew my good speakers when building my gainclone
post #561 of 3490 Old 11-23-2008, 10:47 AM

I'm running Vista and I did eventually get sound. I took everything apart and reseated the card. I couldn't get the card to fitted correctly with the backplate insert on my case. The padding they put on there makes it very tight so I had to take it out. I still can't screw down the 7.1 card but at least I get sound.

Now the next problem, I do get sound and it does sound good but the volume level is way off. I need to turn my receiver way up to get a decent volume. Digital output is fine. If I would forget to turn it back down when I switch back to TV, my speakers would explode.

Is there somewhere where I can adjust speaker levels? When I bring up the Realtek HD audio manager, there's a tab for room correction where you can set levels. Unfortunately, these settings don't apply to the 7.1 pre-amp. When you configure from the Sound setting in the control panel, it gives some rudimentary set up stuff, and when you go into Properties, room correction requires some sort of microphone setup.

Anyone else with low volume issues?
post #562 of 3490 Old 11-23-2008, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Open the program you normally use to output sound. Click the white speaker icon in the taskbar (not the orange one). Click "Mixer" at the bottom of the popup. There will be a volume setting for the main and and one for each running program.

If it's still low, it may have to do with the audio decoder being used. AC3Filter allows you to increase gain.
post #563 of 3490 Old 11-23-2008, 09:22 PM

Hi Jack,

I was wondering if there is anyway this platform can accomodate more audio inputs?

I want to hook up a Set top box and a Gaming PC Digital or Analog audio. Is it possible?

I was considering investing in a AV Receiver, but this thread halted me in my tracks . What I want to do is build an Audio Receiver around this board, would it be possible?
post #564 of 3490 Old 11-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Adding more inputs (or any for that matter) requires an application from MSI that allegedly will be available soon. Apparently Vista won't pass the audio from the inputs directly out the amp without this application. MSI has it (why they won't release it yet, I don't know) and 'IF' it does get released, I'd consider designing a USB controlled input switcher that would allow this board to be used more like a complete AVR replacement which I hope to do as well.

It's a GREAT board, and the ability to use the inputs would really propel it into much broader acceptance imho.

-PGPfan
post #565 of 3490 Old 11-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Yes,I second that. MSI please get this application out now. I've got a $20 HDMI auto sensing switch for the video, now I just an input switcher and this application and then I can ditch my receiver.

I'm still enjoying the heck out of the 5.1 amp board and this turkey weekend I'll be popping in the pre-amp board and hooking up my carver THX amps to do a little comparison
post #566 of 3490 Old 11-24-2008, 02:00 PM

Anyone using Windows 7 pre-Beta already using on this great board ? and ?

Read more about my HTPC Plus project
post #567 of 3490 Old 11-25-2008, 06:12 AM

I did some comparisons last night. My equipment is as follows:

Onkyo tx-876 receiver used as pre-amp
7 x Outlaw m200 200w monoblock amps
Paradigm reference studio 100 speakers LR
Paradigm center
Axiom qs8 surrounds
samsung 1400 bluray player
Toshiba xa2 hd-dvd player

MSI diva 7411 7.1 pre-amp mobo
AMD phenom 9650 x4
All media ripped to hard drive
Arcsoft TMT

Sony HS-20 720p projector - 134 inch screen

I watched parts of Iron Man br, Hairspray br, Elton John 60 br, Eagles live hddvd, Matrix hddvd, Across the Universe br

It was impossible for me to hear or see the difference between the bitstreaming stand alones and the htpc with analog out.
The output from this board looks and sounds fantastic!

Again, my only problem is the volume level. When using the stand alones, the volume was set at -30. When using the HTPC, I needed to turn up all the way to +1 to get the same levels. The windows sounds are a little low but when using TMT it gets even lower. I've tried ffdshow audio and ac3filter but neither have an effect on this particular output. They do work for HDMI and spdif out but they're not low to begin with.

There's my purely anecdotal report. I just need to remember to turn down the volume down before I switch back to TV or I'll bein a world of hurt!
post #568 of 3490 Old 11-25-2008, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Joe,

I will look into the volume issues you are seeing. Hopefully, we will figure it out. I have not seen that issue you are referencing so I am not sure of the cause at the moment.

Regards,
Java

Regards.
Java

post #569 of 3490 Old 11-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Does the D2 Audio stuff work with Linux too. Are there any Vista or Windows specific drivers that need to be installed for the 5.1 analog sound?

Thanks
Srikanth Koka
post #570 of 3490 Old 11-25-2008, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The D2 part uses the inbox UAA drivers in Vista. I have not tried this on Linux to see what would be needed there.

Regards.
Java

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page