MSI 7411 Motherboard Sneak Peek (share your thoughts!) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 3490 Old 03-04-2008, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As Chris mentioned, the legacy comment in this case was directed at PC type IO. The goal here was to make this more AV centric and less PC centric. I agree that most people will not use the legacy component or even VGA, but most HD panels still have those types of inputs, hence those were added to give people connectivity options.

If this board is successful, future revisions could slowly remove those from the back panel as well. However, VGA will probably stick around because this is still a fully functioning PC, therefore, there may still be a market segment that could use this in a PC mode that just happens to be a good enternainment platform as well.

G vs M, these are very similar parts. However, as mentioned, the elimination of PC centric IO and the audio are things that set this board apart. Also, with the addition of the side port memory, we believe that graphic performance will be dramatically improved. There could be some additional performance improvement in video content as well, this still needs testing.

As for digital SPDIF, this is being handled by the Realtek 888 codec that is on board. It is passed through the D2 part, but they are not processing anything on the digital SPDIF right now. We are looking at how best to address the digital stuff in the near future. Therefore, the PC still decodes the Dolby and DTS signals via your codec.

The beauty of the D2 stuff is that it is very flexible and programmable. There will be a lot of stuff we can do with the D2 stuff that has not even been mentioned yet.

For example, the D2 stuff can do Speaker and Room Equalization, Psychoacoustic Audio effects, Virtualization of rear speakers in a 3.1 environment, etc.

D2 sells their technology to folks like B&W, Control 4, HK, etc. Their technology has just been integrated into the HTPC box to drive high quality audio out of the HTPC.

The solution can be used with or without an AVR. If you have a nice AVR, then plug in the 7.1 pre amp card and pass high quality audio to the AVR for playback. If you don't have a nice AVR, use the 5.1 Amp card and drive your speakers directly with high quality audio directly from the HTPC.

The D2 parts are seen as a standard HD Audio codec that is using the MS supplied drivers so protected content playback should not be an issue. It is all contained within the box until it is played back.

I think passing the audio out the D2 analog audio connetors to the AVR should provide better sound quality than digital PCM.

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog: http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Java_Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3490 Old 03-04-2008, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Legit Reviews has some pictures of the audio cards and the motherboard as well...

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/674/3/

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

post #33 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

Legit Reviews has some pictures of the audio cards and the motherboard as well...

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/674/3/

Those are interesting photos. I like the use of the anti-static bags: it's as though some one is expecting to get non-ESD damaged cards back.

The digital amp card has NO digital amps (and their heatsinks) on it. You can see the bolt holes for mounting them, but that's it.

How many slots does the 5.1 digital amp take when it's fully outfitted?
post #34 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One slot bay. The card has 2 edge connectors that fit in the PCIe x1 and the PCIe x4 directly behind the x1. That leaves 3 open slots for other cards.

As for the card, the digital processing is down on the motherboard, the card is just really the power stages for amplification. Only thing missing from the card is the heatsink.

Regards.
Java

post #35 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One slot bay. The card has 2 edge connectors that fit in the PCIe x1 and the PCIe x4 directly behind the x1. That leaves 3 open slots for other cards.

As for the card, the digital processing is down on the motherboard, the card is just really the power stages for amplification. Only thing missing from the card is the heatsink.

Thanks.

Must be pretty efficient to be able to supply 500W out the speaker wires and not overheat inside the case.
post #36 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oops! Double post.
post #37 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:

I think passing the audio out the D2 analog audio connetors to the AVR should provide better sound quality than digital PCM.

That really depends on the quality and type of your AVR. For example, I already have a Class D receiver. It is much more logical to feed it a native digital signal rather than having to convert back and forth (if I use the analog inputs on the receiver, the signal needs to be redigitized for amplification).

But yes, assuming they use good DACs and op amps, this should be the best onboard analog audio solution on the market.

If they only offered a third add-on option that would just output the fully processed multichannel digital audio over HDMI after combining it with HDMI video (like the new Asus sound card), then they would truly have all bases covered.

Thanks for all the info Java Jack.
post #38 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Sorry, you will need to contact MSI on pricing and availability. Best guess right now is May since this is using 780M chipset and not 780G.

I think I read somewhere "early Q3 2008", which is about 5 months away.

I suspect this will be pricey, but worth it if it works.
post #39 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 10:17 AM

Great thread, Java Jack--I too am grateful for your generous sharing of information. And I'm glad the NDA wraps are finally off this "mystery board," hints of which you and Chris Morley so gleefully taunted us with in the GA-MA78GM-S2H thread. This thing looks great indeed.

I'm assuming the 7411 will also form the foundation of MSI's newly-announced DIVA media PC. True?
post #40 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 AM

OK my 2 cents:
I love most of it. I am not as audio centered as many. I currently feed a digital receiver via spdif from my htpc (revo 7.1)

I think it should have 2 more USB ports on the back especially since there are no PS2 ports. I would like to see an ESATA port on the back as well.

I love the fact that it has 512MB of video memory in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think there should be 1 PCI slot for any legacy devices. But if they are aiming at OEM builders I can see where that is less of a concern.

In an ideal world the new audio hardware would be able to add the sound stream to the HDMI output, even if it required another addin card to handle it.

I am getting ready to build a new HTPC for myself.
I want Plenty of USB ports, Esata (planning on moving file storage to a different box and out of the HTPC), HDMI out, firewire out, SPDIF out (get rid of my old revo) I do want 1 pci slot for my NVDVD dual tv capture card. (i love that card)
I'm planning on a HDHOMERUN for HDTV capture.

In short I want to simplify and have audio and video integrated on the board if possible. If using the addin amp I could get rid of my receiver also , I think I would be in nirvana!! (I only have a 3.1 right now, maybe this could feed my 3 infinity speakers?)

BTW VGA and plenty of ports is great for the system builders. I used to put together HTPC's for a small local company that did very high end systems. Often my builds would end up hidden away in racks and cabinet's. but when you're building/troubleshooting you want enough ports to hook everything up to get it working quickly. also doing a dual display helps alot.

Take care,
Seth

AMD 5000+BE @2.6GHZ 2GB ram, 820GB storage
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G chipset
Nvidia DualTV, HDHomerun, MCE keyboard and remote. SageTV
post #41 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabnebula View Post

That really depends on the quality and type of your AVR. For example, I already have a Class D receiver. It is much more logical to feed it a native digital signal rather than having to convert back and forth (if I use the analog inputs on the receiver, the signal needs to be redigitized for amplification).

But yes, assuming they use good DACs and op amps, this should be the best onboard analog audio solution on the market.

If they only offered a third add-on option that would just output the fully processed multichannel digital audio over HDMI after combining it with HDMI video (like the new Asus sound card), then they would truly have all bases covered.

Thanks for all the info Java Jack.

I am by no means an audio expert, but I thought the best audio you could pass over digital SPDIF was AC3 and therefore could not get true HD or higher bit rate audio over a digital interface unless it were a protected path. Could be wrong here, but that was my understanding.

With the D2 part on board, the board should decode that audio and pass out trueHD or DTS signals out via analog connection directly to AVR for processing. However, I understand your point about having to reconvert the signal.

I can tell you the audio quality if extremely good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

I think I read somewhere "early Q3 2008", which is about 5 months away.

I suspect this will be pricey, but worth it if it works.

Q3 might be MSI's barebones schedule. Board will be ready long before that and will be available via retail package in the channel. It is my understanding that MSI will have 3 skus
board
board + 7.1 Pre Amp card
board + 5.1 Amp card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenoicus View Post

Great thread, Java Jack--I too am grateful for your generous sharing of information. And I'm glad the NDA wraps are finally off this "mystery board," hints of which you and Chris Morley so gleefully taunted us with in the GA-MA78GM-S2H thread. This thing looks great indeed.

I'm assuming the 7411 will also form the foundation of MSI's newly-announced DIVA media PC. True?

Thanks. Yes, this is the same board used in their Diva system.

Regards.
Java

post #42 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by setherd View Post

OK my 2 cents:
I love most of it. I am not as audio centered as many. I currently feed a digital receiver via spdif from my htpc (revo 7.1)

I think it should have 2 more USB ports on the back especially since there are no PS2 ports. I would like to see an ESATA port on the back as well.

I love the fact that it has 512MB of video memory in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think there should be 1 PCI slot for any legacy devices. But if they are aiming at OEM builders I can see where that is less of a concern.

In an ideal world the new audio hardware would be able to add the sound stream to the HDMI output, even if it required another addin card to handle it.

I am getting ready to build a new HTPC for myself.
I want Plenty of USB ports, Esata (planning on moving file storage to a different box and out of the HTPC), HDMI out, firewire out, SPDIF out (get rid of my old revo) I do want 1 pci slot for my NVDVD dual tv capture card. (i love that card)
I'm planning on a HDHOMERUN for HDTV capture.

In short I want to simplify and have audio and video integrated on the board if possible. If using the addin amp I could get rid of my receiver also , I think I would be in nirvana!! (I only have a 3.1 right now, maybe this could feed my 3 infinity speakers?)

BTW VGA and plenty of ports is great for the system builders. I used to put together HTPC's for a small local company that did very high end systems. Often my builds would end up hidden away in racks and cabinet's. but when you're building/troubleshooting you want enough ports to hook everything up to get it working quickly. also doing a dual display helps alot.

USB Ports
I believe the SB700 supports 12 or 14 USB ports. There are several headers on the mobo for additional USB Ports. I know a lot of the chassis solutions offer 2 or so up front, then others are used for VFDs, wireless, etc.

I don't think there is a shortage of USB ports, just not all are part of the back panel I/O.

Capture Cards.
I am not familiar with those specific cards, however they might have a PCIe equivalent card.

Audio and Video combined on the board.
That is what we are trying to accomplish with this design. It's not ideal, but I think it is a big step in the right direction.

Hopefully, other board vendors will follow suit and offer some variants of this type of solution so customers can choose from several options. Only time will tell though.

Regards.
Java

post #43 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:

I am by no means an audio expert, but I thought the best audio you could pass over digital SPDIF was AC3 and therefore could not get true HD or higher bit rate audio over a digital interface unless it were a protected path. Could be wrong here, but that was my understanding..

I think I just misinterpreted your statement.

With SPDIF you can transmit 2-ch PCM, or multichannel encoded to DD/DTS. With HDMI, you can of course transmit raw multichannel PCM. I thought you were suggesting that analog out from the D2 add-on would be superior than multichannel PCM over HDMI, given all the talk about HDMI in the Gigabyte thread. That of course depends on the quality of the analog outputs vs the receiver.

However if SPDIF is the only alternative, you are right that high quality analog outs are superior because you bypass the compression that occurs when encoding to DD/DTS.
post #44 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:

I think I just misinterpreted your statement.

However if SPDIF is the only alternative, you are right that high quality analog outs are superior because you bypass the compression that occurs when encoding to DD/DTS.

I don't know much about the audio side ( I have a panasonic SA-XR25)
so when some sound is sent out via spdif it's encoded to dolby? I thought SPDIF for the most part just passing along a signal to your receiver to decide what to do with?

you audio guys confuse me!!!

Take care,
Seth

post #45 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:

I don't know much about the audio side ( I have a panasonic SA-XR25)
so when some sound is sent out via spdif it's encoded to dolby? I thought SPDIF for the most part just passing along a signal to your receiver to decide what to do with?

you audio guys confuse me!!!

Over SPDIF you're either transmitting 2 channels of uncompressed PCM, or you're transferring multichannel (5.1+) audio that has to be compressed to either AC3 (Dolby Digital) or DTS formats to accomodate the limited bandwidth. So, when you listen to a Blu-ray/HD DVD that only has uncompressed PCM or the new HD audio formats (in other words, no basic Dolby/DTS), this cannot be passed over SPDIF. The only way to get surround sound over SPDIF is to decode the source and recompress it to DTS or Dolby on the fly.
post #46 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Over SPDIF you're either transmitting 2 channels of uncompressed PCM, or you're transferring multichannel (5.1+) audio that has to be compressed to either AC3 (Dolby Digital) or DTS formats to accomodate the limited bandwidth. So, when you listen to a Blu-ray/HD DVD that only has uncompressed PCM or the new HD audio formats (in other words, no basic Dolby/DTS), this cannot be passed over SPDIF. The only way to get surround sound over SPDIF is to decode the source and recompress it to DTS or Dolby on the fly.

Pardon my french but my first thought was "No Sh*t!???"
so that makes this board look even more appealing. Does HDMI have the bandwodth to transmit uncompressed PCM?
or another standard? maybe just something on the drawing board?

Take care,
Seth

post #47 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, good question ... the last time I checked, there was no actual real world consumer hardware in production that could pass 6 channels of lossless 24 bit digital audio over HDMI - only that specifications existed for that.

Has that changed recently ?
post #48 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 08:46 PM

The Intel G35 chipset (Asus P5E-VM HDMI) can do that now.

The upcomining GeForce 8200 chipset, very similar to the AMD 780G, will also be able to transmit multichannel PCM audio over HDMI. Of course, you will need an HDMI receiver to use it.
post #49 of 3490 Old 03-05-2008, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Mmm put my pannasonic xr55 in my computer you say?! Finally class-D makes its mark on more than a small line of about 4 receivers.
post #50 of 3490 Old 03-06-2008, 07:02 AM

Hi
The MSI 7411 looks really promissing but now my plans on combining the Omaura TF8 with a 780G/4850e and a Omaura TF AMP is not that terrific anymore... or is it? (TF AMP @ omaura.dk)
First of all none of the Omaura products seems to be in stock and there doesn't seem to be any distributors yet but hopefully this will be solved within the next 1-2 months...
Secondly I can't figure out what would be the best solution - ths MSI 7411 with built-in amplifier or a "normal" HTPC with a separate Omaura-amplifier... :-/
Regards, Tommy Ipsen
post #51 of 3490 Old 03-06-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know what speaker wire interface is supported for the AMP module? Banana Plugs, Bare Wire, etc? From the pictures it is kind of hard to tell, but looks like bare wire if I am looking at the right module.

Thoughts?
post #52 of 3490 Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 AM

It's hard to tell, but I'd agree that it looks like the amp module uses spring-loaded clips for bare wire. You can directly download a D2Audio pdf (which has been showing an unnamed MS-7411 board long before CeBit 2008 began) HERE (kinda redundant, I know, since the parent link to D2Audio downloads is also in the op).
post #53 of 3490 Old 03-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsen View Post

Hi
The MSI 7411 looks really promissing but now my plans on combining the Omaura TF8 with a 780G/4850e and a Omaura TF AMP is not that terrific anymore... or is it? (TF AMP @ omaura.dk)
First of all none of the Omaura products seems to be in stock and there doesn't seem to be any distributors yet but hopefully this will be solved within the next 1-2 months...
Secondly I can't figure out what would be the best solution - ths MSI 7411 with built-in amplifier or a "normal" HTPC with a separate Omaura-amplifier... :-/
Regards, Tommy Ipsen

If you're going to be getting the 7411 board, then of course the D2Audio solution is going to be the best fit. That's what I'd buy, personally. For other solutions out there that don't have internal amplification, that's why we offer the TF AMP.

Although, it would be interesting to fit some D2Audio technology in our next gen amp product...
post #54 of 3490 Old 03-06-2008, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The amp card uses bare wire connectors, but you could easily make a wire dongle to support banana plugs.

Agree with Chris, if you are using the 7411 and want an amplified solution, the add in card would offer the best performance.

If you are using something other than the 7411, then the Omaura part may be what you need.

Regards.
Java

post #55 of 3490 Old 03-06-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMorley View Post

Although, it would be interesting to fit some D2Audio technology in our next gen amp product...

Just curious, do you have any reason to believe it would surpass the SQ of the B&O ICEpower amps you currently use?
post #56 of 3490 Old 03-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just curious, do you have any reason to believe it would surpass the SQ of the B&O ICEpower amps you currently use?

To be perfectly frank, I believe D2Audio's solution that I have seen as packaged with the MSI 7411 to be a superior solution.

Do I wish that I could say we have a better solution? Sure. But I would rather tell you what the BEST solution is, and right now I think that's the MSI 7411 with D2Audio amplification (built inside an Omaura TF8, of course!) That's why I am very interested in working on a next-gen TF AMP utilizing whatever D2Audio has to offer.

However, if you are not interested in the MSI 7411, and perhaps you're leaning towards the MCP78 or an Intel solution, then I would urge you to take a look at what we have to offer as I think it's a fantastic and unique product in that scenario.
post #57 of 3490 Old 03-06-2008, 11:45 AM

anyone have a slightly ballpark figure for this board and add on cards? it the add on cards are like $500 i'm not going to consider them but if reasonable (yes I know it's a relative term) I will seriously consider it.

Take care,
Seth

post #58 of 3490 Old 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I believe MSI's plans are to sell

board
board + 7.1 card
board + 5.1 Amp card

I can't imagine how they could sell the combo's for all that much more than just the board by iteslf. Board guys just don't get that much margin, no matter how much they may innovate. I read somewhere that 780 boards are going for 80-120 so figure it is probably near the higher end solution since the main audio processing is on the board and 512MB of Ram. Audio card probably add another 50 to 100 more. I would venture to guess, worse case maybe 300 for combo.

Barebones chassis, etc with this set up may be 500, but hard to say. Need to contact MSI for real pricing issues

Regards.
Java

post #59 of 3490 Old 03-06-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Does HDMI have the bandwodth to transmit uncompressed PCM?

Your question sort of got answered, but in case you missed it; yes.
post #60 of 3490 Old 03-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

A product that has audiophile intentions should use audiophile speaker connectors.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page