MSI 7411 Motherboard Sneak Peek (share your thoughts!) - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 3490 Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I will doublecheck the pass through issue, but after discussing this with MS at length, it was clear that Vista supports capture, but not pass through.

I believe the same is true with XP but I would need to confirm that.

This could be a driver level issue where the Vista drivers may not support it but the 3rd party realtek drivers do. I will confirm.

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog: http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Java_Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3490 Old 01-19-2009, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

Thanks. I will doublecheck the pass through issue, but after discussing this with MS at length, it was clear that Vista supports capture, but not pass through.

I believe the same is true with XP but I would need to confirm that.

This could be a driver level issue where the Vista drivers may not support it but the 3rd party realtek drivers do. I will confirm.

Actually, now that I think about it, my Toshiba laptop (Satellite P105-6217) was able to do passthrough with the Conexant chipset using the drivers that came with the laptop (non Vista-Native).
post #993 of 3490 Old 01-19-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, that got me thinking. Using the latest Realtek drivers, passthrough works on the Realtek side of this motherboard.

Connect the HD Audio header to the front jacks on a case.
Plug in some headphones.
Plug something into the Line In on the back I/O panel.
Turn up the playback volume on the Line In.
Voila, passthrough sound.

So it's definitely possible. It just seems that the inputs are on the Realtek chip and we just need to figure out how to route it to the D2 Audio side (this is the not so easy part).
post #994 of 3490 Old 01-19-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, more tests:

I can get passthrough audio working using DirectShow Fillters.

Man I wish I had my replacement development machine. I could knock out an audio control panel tonight for this.
LL
post #995 of 3490 Old 01-19-2009, 04:38 PM

Vladd that's great. Seems like your on a decent path for a work around.
Now everyone will ask you and Java Jack for line-in.

Man i wish i had some skills, chicks dig guys with skills.
post #996 of 3490 Old 01-19-2009, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGrasshopper View Post

chicks dig guys with skills.

No they don't. They just pretend they do and then try to change you.
post #997 of 3490 Old 01-19-2009, 07:10 PM

I just got to say my project based on this board is just about complete.

Sound, video,etc, yea it is all good, but what is key to this board is that it enable me to do everything I wanted stuffed into a mATX case.
No more need for separate components such as Amp, Blu-ray player, PC, Radio, PVR/extender, etc.

So now instead of some big home theater system with cables going everywhere, and needing to control multiple devices, I have one case connected to my plasma and speakers with all cables going behind the wall. My HTPC is sitting on a lower shelf of a small sofa table, it really opened up the room.

Before I would always use the TVs sound except for DVDs or Blu-ray movies, now I just leave the output going to the external speakers because it is easier and the sound is good regardless if at low or high volume.

To me, it just made the HTPC much more convenient and a clean look.
post #998 of 3490 Old 01-19-2009, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

JJ, You may want to take a look at this thread on Arcsoft's forums: http://www.arcsoft.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1607
post #999 of 3490 Old 01-19-2009, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting. I cannot think of any MSI products that are bitstreaming lossless audio. My guess is that the user was confused about the stuff unless there is some, new super audio card that MSI is producing, but I think I would have heard about it.

As for Arcsoft, I am already speaking with them as well about this audio stuff. We have had several conversations on this topic. Still more to discuss, but we need to figure out the right regulatory body to have them approve the Maui platform and it's lack of UAB.

I don't think any of the players are going to budge until we can ensure that we are not violating any AACS requirements.

No one wants to risk any fines or lic. issues. Can't really blame them on that.

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

post #1000 of 3490 Old 01-19-2009, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought you were talking to them but I couldn't figure out what else MSI would have in the pipes.
post #1001 of 3490 Old 01-20-2009, 03:13 PM

What case do you guys use with this board? I am currently using a MonCaso 932 and want to migrate it to a smaller (hopefully low profile) case. I really liked Omaura TF8 but it is history now. Antec Fusion is not low profile and Antec Fusion Micro doesn't fit this board (see review on Newegg). The one low profile case I found is the HEC 7KJ9: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811121068. Anyone tried it? I am not sure if it will fit this board...
post #1002 of 3490 Old 01-20-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, I am in the process of building a Maui system with the antec uFusion. It will take some slight mods to get it to work, but I expect it will fit fine with some minor tweaks.

Regards.
Java

post #1003 of 3490 Old 01-20-2009, 03:55 PM

I finally managed to get component video output working in Vista. I don't know if HDMI is the same way, but it seems like I can only have VGA or component enabled, not both at the same time. This worked for both my 1080i and 480p TV inputs, so that hopefully answers the question about ED/SD TVs earlier.

In Catalyst Control Center I had to:
1) click Detect Displays to see both monitor and component devices
2) set desktop to a resolution both support (ie 640x480)
3) drag the component device on top of the monitor and select Swap Devices

The monitor will then go dark and I get a the low res desktop on the HDTV. From there, it works like other ATI video cards I've used and can set the resolution to anything the TV supports. One other note, this process only worked for me on Vista, and not on Windows 7.
post #1004 of 3490 Old 01-20-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by username1024 View Post

I finally managed to get component video output working in Vista. I don't know if HDMI is the same way, but it seems like I can only have VGA or component enabled, not both at the same time. This worked for both my 1080i and 480p TV inputs, so that hopefully answers the question about ED/SD TVs earlier.

In Catalyst Control Center I had to:
1) click Detect Displays to see both monitor and component devices
2) set desktop to a resolution both support (ie 640x480)
3) drag the component device on top of the monitor and select Swap Devices

The monitor will then go dark and I get a the low res desktop on the HDTV. From there, it works like other ATI video cards I've used and can set the resolution to anything the TV supports. One other note, this process only worked for me on Vista, and not on Windows 7.

I think that's a limitation of the chipset or on board video, In the Gigabyte 780g board thread they said the same...DVI or HDMI but not both at once.
they must have done the same thing here but with the vga/component instead. Can you Test if the HDMI is working as well?

Edit: Maybe email MS to let them know so it will work in Window 7 when it drops?
post #1005 of 3490 Old 01-20-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Actually, I am in the process of building a Maui system with the antec uFusion. It will take some slight mods to get it to work, but I expect it will fit fine with some minor tweaks.

Great! Please keep us updated on your new build!
post #1006 of 3490 Old 01-20-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Will do. I will try to grab pictures of the different builds I have going on.
In process or completed
1) nMedia PC H1000b
2) Thermaltake DH101
3) Omaura TF8
4) Antec Fusion Micro
Scheduled
5) Antec Fusion
6) Silverstone GD02

I am hoping to have several different builds so that I can show some variety. I may end up blogging about it as well, we'll see.

Regards.
Java

post #1007 of 3490 Old 01-20-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGrasshopper View Post

I think that's a limitation of the chipset or on board video, In the Gigabyte 780g board thread they said the same...DVI or HDMI but not both at once.
they must have done the same thing here but with the vga/component instead. Can you Test if the HDMI is working as well?

Edit: Maybe email MS to let them know so it will work in Window 7 when it drops?

I don't have a display that can take HDMI, which is why component was so important for me. I'd be very curious to know if HDMI and VGA can be used simultaneously.

I'll be leaving feedback for MS & ATI
post #1008 of 3490 Old 01-20-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by username1024 View Post

I don't have a display that can take HDMI, which is why component was so important for me. I'd be very curious to know if HDMI and VGA can be used simultaneously.

I'll be leaving feedback for MS & ATI

HDMI and VGA can be used at the same time, no problem
post #1009 of 3490 Old 01-20-2009, 07:55 PM

mmstudio,

I'm currently building a link box for another room with the HEC 7KJ9. Size wise I think you would be OK but this case comes with a 270watt power supply. Not sure if it is enough power. I'm using an asus M3A78-EM with a 5050e.

Off the top of my head:
Max 2 hard drives if you don't use a floppy.
You need a short optical drive, around 160/165 mm. Longer hits the cpu heatsink.
Mainboard power and PATA will be under the optical drive...bear to plug in.

Overall is not that bad of a case for the $.
post #1010 of 3490 Old 01-20-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2JJS View Post

mmstudio,

I'm currently building a link box for another room with the HEC 7KJ9. Size wise I think you would be OK but this case comes with a 270watt power supply. Not sure if it is enough power. I'm using an asus M3A78-EM with a 5050e.

Off the top of my head:
Max 2 hard drives if you don't use a floppy.
You need a short optical drive, around 160/165 mm. Longer hits the cpu heatsink.
Mainboard power and PATA will be under the optical drive...bear to plug in.

Overall is not that bad of a case for the $.

Thanks for the info. Regarding the power, I am currently using Corsair 520W PSU. But according to Kill-A-Watt, the whole system never pulls more than 120W (with 80% volumn, all speakers hooked up, playing blu-ray). So a 270W is more than enough as long as it is a quality PSU (looks to be one, manufactured by FSP).

The optical drive length is a huge problem though. I am using the LG Bluray/HDDVD combo which is the longest drive on the market I guess I will need to look else where...
post #1011 of 3490 Old 01-21-2009, 06:59 AM

@Java Jack

I'd be really interested to hear how the build goes with the silverstone gd02 is this the mt model with the touchscreen?

This is the case I'm planning, was also thinking of using a scythe mini ninja h/s perhaps passive with an undervolted phenom 9750.... 95w.

Would be interested to hear if you have any issues with the optical drive / heatsink clearence or the clearence with the psu to hdd's.

Thanks
post #1012 of 3490 Old 01-21-2009, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I actually have both models here. However, I don't have a slim line drive for the touchscreen model nor do I have the scythe cooler.

Regards.
Java

post #1013 of 3490 Old 01-21-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:

I actually have both models here. However, I don't have a slim line drive for the touchscreen model nor do I have the scythe cooler.

ok, I've got a slimline drive, only dvd though, that'll do for now. I'll post up how well it goes for the rest. might take a while though as I'm only taking 1 week off work every 2 months. Work is in Sicily and home is in the uk.
post #1014 of 3490 Old 01-21-2009, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, rough having to work in such a beautiful place.

Ahh, I wish I could get over to Europe again. Was there last year for Cebit and enjoyed it. I would love to see more.

Regards.
Java

post #1015 of 3490 Old 01-21-2009, 10:34 AM
tqh

Wow, I love this amp. I had a lot of problems with bios not booting with two sticks of memory, but after a bios-upgrade everything works. I almost thought it was broken.
post #1016 of 3490 Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Will do. I will try to grab pictures of the different builds I have going on.
In process or completed

6) Silverstone GD02

Please let us know how this build goes, I was hoping to use this case(no-lcd) my self... the only cooler i can find that will fit is the Scythe shuriken, any other suggestions? The slim line probably has a bit more room though my budget can't seem to fit that in(plus i think it destroys the sleek look).

On a side note how much wattage does the amp card take? I know its a very conservative number compared to the out put but with the power supply calculator i am using i don't know how much to add for it. Edit: Also if running hybrid Crossfire does that count as 2 cards? I am really confused about how much power i need.
post #1017 of 3490 Old 01-21-2009, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Let me double check with D2. I think all told, it will pull around 115W from the PSU and push approx. 93% of that out to the speakers and lose the rest in heat.

Regards.
Java

post #1018 of 3490 Old 01-22-2009, 05:53 AM

Is it possible to use MS-4140 (amp) with another mb like GA-E7AUM-DS2H? Or is there any other model of internal amp for HTPC?
post #1019 of 3490 Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No. The amp card was designed to work with this board only.

Regards.
Java

post #1020 of 3490 Old 01-22-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:

As for Linux, there are no audio drivers just yet. We are working on a plan to get drivers developed. We expect it to be fairly straight forward and easy to develop, it just needs to be scoped out to determine when this can get done.

Hopefully, we will have Linux drivers for the audio soon. I will keep everyone posted on this as they are available.

Are there any news ? For me linux support is a must have and i am really looking forward to the release ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page