MSI 7411 Motherboard Sneak Peek (share your thoughts!) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3490 Old 03-12-2008, 12:50 PM
AP2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wow this looks very promising! looks like ill be ditching my asus p5e for this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3490 Old 03-12-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKaustin View Post

ChrisMorley -

I want to put this motherboard in one of your cases (congrats getting them sold at Dell!). While I like the TF8 and think this mobo would be a good fit, I am leaning toward the TF11 because I want to put in a separate full-size HD3870 video card and use the hybrid crossfire to support occasional gaming. Will the TF11 be just too big for this small board?

Keep in mind, the 7411 has the 780 chipset + 512MB of dedicated graphics memory. It will handle most games without any issues at all. You may not really need a discrete card for occasional gaming.

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog: http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Java_Jack
post #93 of 3490 Old 03-12-2008, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

By the way, be sure to let MSI know that you guys are interested in this board...

http://www.msicomputer.com/company/contactUs.asp

The more they know people want this, the better it will be.

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

post #94 of 3490 Old 03-12-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

By the way, be sure to let MSI know that you guys are interested in this board...

http://www.msicomputer.com/company/contactUs.asp

The more they know people want this, the better it will be.

Do you happen to have an e-mail address for their sales group? All I saw on the web site was phone numbers and physical addresses for contact them.

... excluding the Technical Support e-mail contact (good lord that's a long form!) and the RMA request e-mail address.
post #95 of 3490 Old 03-12-2008, 06:52 PM

No thanks, I will keep my existing tuners and get a board with more support. A good start though.
post #96 of 3490 Old 03-12-2008, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verteggio View Post

Do you happen to have an e-mail address for their sales group? All I saw on the web site was phone numbers and physical addresses for contact them.

... excluding the Technical Support e-mail contact (good lord that's a long form!) and the RMA request e-mail address.

Sorry, I don't know if they have a email account for sales.

Regards.
Java

post #97 of 3490 Old 03-12-2008, 07:46 PM

NVIDIA's site carries a page that shows MSI sales and marketing department email addresses: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_20020821_4710.html.
post #98 of 3490 Old 03-13-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancmor17 View Post

No thanks, I will keep my existing tuners and get a board with more support. A good start though.

more support, eh?
post #99 of 3490 Old 03-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Perhaps he is opposed to getting rid of a bunch of PCI tuners to get all PCIe tuners? Maybe?

Win7Ult x64:P8Z77V Deluxe, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6670, i5-3570k, 3 Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe, Hauppauge 2250, Fractal Arc Midi SSP
post #100 of 3490 Old 03-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Well I called Microstar at the link that Java Jack posted and was told they have no info on this boards' availability. When I mentioned that it was shown at CeBit, I was told to send an email to: andyt@msicomputer.com (apparently he's the product/project manager for the motherboard division) in order to get further information.

If anyone else is interested in this board, perhaps we ALL should send him an email demonstrating enthusiasm! Just an idea.

-PGPfan
post #101 of 3490 Old 03-14-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPFan View Post

Well I called Microstar at the link that Java Jack posted and was told they have no info on this boards' availability. When I mentioned that it was shown at CeBit, I was told to send an email to: andyt@msicomputer.com (apparently he's the product/project manager for the motherboard division) in order to get further information.

If anyone else is interested in this board, perhaps we ALL should send him an email demonstrating enthusiasm! Just an idea.

-PGPfan

Email sent to Andy.
post #102 of 3490 Old 03-15-2008, 02:48 PM

Ughh... after seeing this, it occurs to me that I will, sooner rather then later, be building yet another media center... that will make 3 media centers.

I suppose I could add yet another Raid 5 card to the old MCE 2005 rig and just make it dedicated media server.
post #103 of 3490 Old 03-16-2008, 05:33 PM

why would you choose this rather than gigabyte's 780G
post #104 of 3490 Old 03-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyotousa View Post

why would you choose this rather than gigabyte's 780G

Fancier audio solutions available using D2 Audio cards, onboard graphics memory which should/could allow the HD postprocessing w/o needing a phenom and make video better a little all around, larger selection of HD video outputs (i.e. component video is back). Those were the three that stood out to me.

Win7Ult x64:P8Z77V Deluxe, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6670, i5-3570k, 3 Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe, Hauppauge 2250, Fractal Arc Midi SSP
post #105 of 3490 Old 03-17-2008, 06:20 AM

Is MSI using better electronic parts (capacitors and such) than gigabyte?

nm...no PCI slots....haha I need to fit 1212m in there.
post #106 of 3490 Old 03-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPFan View Post

-PGPfan

Well, the reply was this:

Thanks for contacting us.
MS-7411 will be a late Q2/ early Q3 product. We should be able to provide more info in MAY.

So we have a little waiting to do. It will give Dell time to get the Omaura TF-5 in stock by then.

-PGPfan
post #107 of 3490 Old 03-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyotousa View Post

Is MSI using better electronic parts (capacitors and such) than gigabyte?

nm...no PCI slots....haha I need to fit 1212m in there.

Well, caps are probably similar. GB is using solid state caps around processor power stages and a few other key place and regular caps on the rest for this board. MSI has some SS cap boards, but I am not sure what level the caps will be on this board. I would guess very similar. You seemed to have noticed the main thing that is killing this board for many people...only pcie slots (no pci). I wonder what made them decide to go that far? For an oem solution that would be fine, but for retail channel DIY it make sense to keep at least one pci around (IMO). I for one am fine with it. I have been strategically getting rid of my pci cards for 2+ years now and getting only pcie to replace them, if at all possible. BTW, anyone want a VBOX DTA 150 pci ATSC tuner or an ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI? JK, maybe

post #108 of 3490 Old 03-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denyart View Post

. You seemed to have noticed the main thing that is killing this board for many people...only pcie slots (no pci). I wonder what made them decide to go that far? For an oem solution that would be fine, but for retail channel DIY it make sense to keep at least one pci around (IMO).

IMO this is a critical mistake on their part. I was seriously considering this MB even though I just bought a new one last month. However, I have two pci HDTV tuner cards and a PCI IDE controller card and there is no way I'm going to run out and buy two pci-e tuners and a bunch of sata converters. That would turn what should have been a simple $120 upgrade into an over $400 hit. I'm really bummed to say this, but no thanks
post #109 of 3490 Old 03-19-2008, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I really don't know where they would put PCI in the first place.

Slot 1 won't work, NB sits behind it.
Slot 2 won't work, reserved for add in graphics card
Slot 3 is where the D2 Audio connector is located
Slot 4 is where teh D2 Audio chip is. Those signals can't get too long or signal quality really drops off.

At best, they might have been able to move the D2 chip and possibly fit 1 PCI slot on there, but PCI is going away. A decision had to be made in supporting legacy I/O, given the difficulties to try and squeeze it on there and that PCI is slowly going away, not sure it really worth the effort to support a dying bus technology.

PCIe offeres more performance, takes up less space and there are most of the same type cards as what is offered in PCI.

This board may not be ideal for those that are trying to upgrade their existing boxes and want to carry over all their older h/w, but for those looking to build new from scratch, this makes fora compelling solution.

Regards.
Java

post #110 of 3490 Old 03-19-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is anybody but MSI planning to come out with a 780M board? With or without the D2 audio.

And am I correct that it takes the "M" chip to allow component output?
post #111 of 3490 Old 03-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

I am curious if with the 780M and sideport memory, whether the phenom is still required for video postprocessing as it is with the 780G. It would seem to make sense that if there is enough video memory connected directly and the HT3/HT2 bus is not in the way, it should be able to turn all of the video processing on w/o needing a HT3 processor. Just thought I would ask.

post #112 of 3490 Old 03-19-2008, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

Is anybody but MSI planning to come out with a 780M board? With or without the D2 audio.

And am I correct that it takes the "M" chip to allow component output?

I think it remains to be seen what other vendors are going to do in response to MSI's board. My guess is that others are certainly looking at it right now trying to figure out what they are going to do.

Yes, the M is used for Component Video support.

Regards.
Java

post #113 of 3490 Old 03-19-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denyart View Post

I am curious if with the 780M and sideport memory, whether the phenom is still required for video postprocessing as it is with the 780G. It would seem to make sense that if there is enough video memory connected directly and the HT3/HT2 bus is not in the way, it should be able to turn all of the video processing on w/o needing a HT3 processor. Just thought I would ask.

We are only just seeing first samples now, so we have not yet looked at all the metrics. Time will tell.

Regards.
Java

post #114 of 3490 Old 03-19-2008, 08:05 PM

This will be the first HTPC I have ever built. I'm a little behind the PC audio curve, so I naturally have a couple of questions about this great looking board...

If I purchase this board I will be also purchasing the 5x100w add-on board. I am curious about playing hi-def content with this board. I understand that the onboard sound card is capable of passing an analog uncompressed 5.1 analog signal to the amp. Does this analog add-in board function properly with sound which passes along protected audio paths? Part of all this silly DRM and AACS nonsense was plugging the analog hole. Why would they leave such a great sounding path wide open for those scurvy pirates (ARRrrrrr!!!)? ;-)

What are the disadvantages (other than it not being a completely digital path) of this solution? Is the audio reencoded to DD or DTS before it is passed along to this board? Is there some sort of degradation to the sampling or bit rate for any reason (protected audio paths)?

Since I would be using the 5x100w add in board, I don't care about sending audio over HDMI. Is there any way I reclaim this unused bandwidth and open up some of the PCIe lanes not in use for HDMI audio to the 8x PCIe slot? It would be awesome to have this board running with a full 16x slot and 512MBs of side port memory for gaming purposes!
post #115 of 3490 Old 03-20-2008, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, since the audio never leaves the board and remains fully digital until it hits the speaker wires, to Microsoft it looks just like another on board codec and therefore a protected path. It is even using the standard "in box" Microsoft audio driver.

With the Amp card you are playing back audio directly from the box and just driving the video over HDMI to the flat panel.

Regards.
Java

post #116 of 3490 Old 03-24-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

With the Amp card you are playing back audio directly from the box and just driving the video over HDMI to the flat panel.

If you're using the HDMI port for just video since the Amp card handles all the audio, is it possible to reclaim some of that unused bandwidth and give it back to the 8x PCIe port (possibly making it a normal 12x port)?

IGPs need all the help they can get.
post #117 of 3490 Old 03-24-2008, 04:53 PM

Well, I've been browsing for weeks and never posted, but looking to build my first ever HTPC. I really like the specs on this upcoming motherboard, but not sure if I need to wait for it.

I have an older HDTV (HDTV Ready) that only has component inputs, so I need a motherboard that has component out as I would like to skip having a separate video card. I want to be able to play HD stuff (1080i and eventually 1080p) including Blu-ray (down the road).

Should I wait for this to come out or are there some other options that would work just as well?
post #118 of 3490 Old 03-24-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarrett25 View Post

Well, I've been browsing for weeks and never posted, but looking to build my first ever HTPC. I really like the specs on this upcoming motherboard, but not sure if I need to wait for it.

I have an older HDTV (HDTV Ready) that only has component inputs, so I need a motherboard that has component out as I would like to skip having a separate video card. I want to be able to play HD stuff (1080i and eventually 1080p) including Blu-ray (down the road).

Should I wait for this to come out or are there some other options that would work just as well?

if your TV is older are you sure if can do 1080P?
the main appeal of this board is the audio side. although component out is nice also.

I don't know of any current motherboards with onboard video that can do component out. maybe their is a G35 based board that will.
hopefully some others here know more about it

Take care,
Seth

AMD 5000+BE @2.6GHZ 2GB ram, 820GB storage
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G chipset
Nvidia DualTV, HDHomerun, MCE keyboard and remote. SageTV
post #119 of 3490 Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by setherd View Post

Thanks for the reply! It is a Samsung CRT HDTV that does 1080i (or 720p upconverted) via component. I will likely purchased a new HDTV within the next 2 years and the hope is that it will be 1080p So if I can do 1080i now with the potential for 1080p in the future that would be the best solution for me.

I will try and see if I can find any that are G35 based like you mentioned. Thanks!
post #120 of 3490 Old 03-24-2008, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by setherd View Post

the main appeal of this board is the audio side. although component out is nice also.

I don't know of any current motherboards with onboard video that can do component out. maybe their is a G35 based board that will.
hopefully some others here know more about it

IMO, there are lots of really nice things about this board, but the 3 most intersting are the following:

780 chipset...first IGP chipset that has the raw horsepower to handle 1080P, Blu Ray and 3D Graphics without the need of discrete card.

Integrated, high quality audio

512MB Dedicated Graphics Memory. This makes a really good IGP chipset even better when dealing with 3D intensive apps. May also help out the video post processing.

Component support is nice for older TVs, but with HDMI everywhere, I am guessing most people will use that instead of Component or VGA.

Regards.
Java

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page