post #181 of 3490 Old 06-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Pro-FHD1 View Post

I'd like to build an HTPC eventually, this looks like something that I could be very interested in. Love the HDMI/Component outs along with the beefy audio card. Also, the no legacy stuff is a huge plus. Let me use bays with current hardware the way I'd like to.

Only question is, it doesn't look as thoug hcan have BOTH the pre-amp sound card and the actual amp card on the board together. They would use the same bay/slot.

Am I just ignorant as to how these cards would work or am I correct?

Wow. Verry cool mobo indeed.

Yes, they are a one-or-the-other solution. It makes sense if you think about it. The amp card is essentially the preamp card plus digital amplifier modules. The preamp card is the amp card minus the amp modules. My main concern is that you may NEED one or the other to get audio. If the preamp card isn't connected does the system really go down to just a 2-channel analog output? If it is not using the preamp card can it still output DD and DTS over the digital outputs? Does it do anything special with non-multi channel sound such as DTS Connect or DDLive? Just curious...

Win7Ult x64:P8Z77V Deluxe, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6670, i5-3570k, 3 Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe, Hauppauge 2250, Fractal Arc Midi SSP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3490 Old 06-06-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denyart View Post

Yes, they are a one-or-the-other solution. It makes sense if you think about it. The amp card is essentially the preamp card plus digital amplifier modules. The preamp card is the amp card minus the amp modules. My main concern is that you may NEED one or the other to get audio. If the preamp card isn't connected does the system really go down to just a 2-channel analog output? If it is not using the preamp card can it still output DD and DTS over the digital outputs? Does it do anything special with non-multi channel sound such as DTS Connect or DDLive? Just curious...

Basically what happens is that Vista will let you chose which codec path you want to use. By right clicking on the speaker Icon in the system tray, then selecting playback devices, you will have various options to choose from:

Exact wording may be off, but you will see somthing like...

HDMI (which is fed by the chipset)
The D2Audio DSP for Amp or Preamp (2 ch if no card installed or multi ch if card is installed)
Realtek codec for Digital Coax output

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

AMD@Home Blog: http://links.amd.com/Home
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Java_Jack
post #183 of 3490 Old 06-06-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:

Only question is, it doesn't look as thoug hcan have BOTH the pre-amp sound card and the actual amp card on the board together. They would use the same bay/slot.

Am I just ignorant as to how these cards would work or am I correct?

Yes, you can choose any of those two flavors... Boy am I sad for those people who want everything run by one cable... not!!!

zzyckz
post #184 of 3490 Old 06-17-2008, 04:21 PM

Well June 15th has come and gone and no announcement about the availability of the "Diva" series. Figured as much.

Any idea on when this motherboard will be available to consumers, and cost? I sent an e-mail to newegg requesting them to stock it when it's available, but got the standard "we constantly look into new products" response.
post #185 of 3490 Old 06-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

post #186 of 3490 Old 06-21-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's another one...

http://video.gearlive.com/

Regards.
Java

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

post #187 of 3490 Old 06-21-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verteggio View Post

Well June 15th has come and gone and no announcement about the availability of the "Diva" series. Figured as much.

Any idea on when this motherboard will be available to consumers, and cost? I sent an e-mail to newegg requesting them to stock it when it's available, but got the standard "we constantly look into new products" response.

I think MSI is going to do a mobo+audio card play only at first. Barebones will likely come later this year.

Regards.
Java

post #188 of 3490 Old 06-22-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack View Post

Here's another one...

http://video.gearlive.com/

"Absolutely!!!" Now, where can I get one?
post #189 of 3490 Old 06-22-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:

I think MSI is going to do a mobo+audio card play only at first. Barebones will likely come later this year.

Honestly, I hope not. Though, it would be par for the course in new products as usually the item I am waiting for is always delayed or released later then everything else =)

Any thoughts on the msrp or is that something that can't be discussed? Or, even the "official" name for the part, since usually names like "ms-7411" are their internal part numbers, not the "marketing name".
post #190 of 3490 Old 06-22-2008, 06:22 PM

Hopefully, if they keep the price around 2 C notes for the full feature board you will not hear me complaining!

zzyckz
post #191 of 3490 Old 06-23-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verteggio View Post

...Any thoughts on the msrp or is that something that can't be discussed? Or, even the "official" name for the part, since usually names like "ms-7411" are their internal part numbers, not the "marketing name".

It'll be some sort of combo... unless they sell just the mainboard as a 2.1 set up (meh). Given the nature of the audio component, I think somewhere between $150 an $250, maybe more.

Even more would not a bad deal when you see these HDMI sound cards going for 199, and you still need to shell out for an AVR.

EDIT: I believe only the 5.1 Amplified card would alleviate the need for an external amplifier, as, I believe, the other 2.1, 5.1 and 7.1 solutions are not amplified.
post #192 of 3490 Old 06-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyckz View Post

Hopefully, if they keep the price around 2 C notes for the full feature board you will not hear me complaining!

Considering great 780G boards can be had under $90 I am really hoping you're right!
post #193 of 3490 Old 06-26-2008, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

True, but keep in mind, this is not just another 780G board. MSI has added a lot of value to the board and therefore, they can't just sell it at traditional PC mobo prices.

They have got to collect on the added value somehow. However, I suspect they will offer it at a reasonable price point.

Regards.
Java

post #194 of 3490 Old 06-27-2008, 12:53 PM

Hey guys, I'm the guy who runs Gear Live. Let me know if you have questions about this mobo that we can answer. We are trying to get one in next week
post #195 of 3490 Old 06-27-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusoicy View Post

Hey guys, I'm the guy who runs Gear Live. Let me know if you have questions about this mobo that we can answer. We are trying to get one in next week

Take a look through the last couple pages of this thread and there's lots of questions. Some ones that come to mind are:

1. When will it be available for consumer purchase, and in what "bundles"?
2. What will the price be (either msrp or street prices)
3. What's the "official" name of the board, since "ms-7411" is more in line with MSI's product numbers
4. How does the video performance compare to other 780g-based motherboards for HTPC uses?
5. Confirm the audio output capabilities -- are they the same as other 780g motherboards, or have their been improvements (such as bitstreaming 8channels through hdmi)?
6. What is the real-world performance of the amplifier card? Specs are one thing, but actual performance is another
7. Are there any limits or performance hits when using Phenom processors (such as the 9150?) (see the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H thread)
8. What are the temps of the motherboard heatsinks when under full load?
post #196 of 3490 Old 06-28-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:

Well, where to start...

Video: Side port Memory? PIP with CrossfireX?
Audio: Codec Support? Driver support; Equivalent control capability to external AVR
Hardware: 780M or 780G? CPU Support (9850)? PSU requirements, esp. with 5.1, 110w/chnl audio card? 750 Southbridge?
Performance: How does it all work, real world? Audio support recognized by, say, PDVD or Arcsoft?
Game Support: Just kidding... Seriously, just kidding. Seriously!
Availabilty: When? How Much? How will different audio options be packaged/priced?
post #197 of 3490 Old 06-29-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:

How does video comare to descrete card like 3650? Does sideport memory do away with need for phenom processor to use the video post processing features. Does it deinterlace 1080i as well as descrete card?

Audio, does it support DTS connect? I don't have a reciever with hdmi, so can I connect hdmi direct to tv and connect to my reciever seperatly via spdif or analog outs?
post #198 of 3490 Old 07-02-2008, 02:38 PM

I have an AVR with 7.1 that I run everything through (PS3, Xbox 360, DVD Player, Cable Box, 3 zones with 14 total speakers, etc) that upscales video and handles all of the audio, would this board even be something that I would need? I would have no need (or the ability) to run speakers straight through the motherboard. The video options are cool, but again, if I get a high end graphics card (or even a pair of them) would this board be any better. I'm try to justify waiting for these boards to come out vs the 780 and P45's that are already available.
post #199 of 3490 Old 07-02-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smburns25 View Post

I have an AVR with 7.1 that I run everything through (PS3, Xbox 360, DVD Player, Cable Box, 3 zones with 14 total speakers, etc) that upscales video and handles all of the audio, would this board even be something that I would need? I would have no need (or the ability) to run speakers straight through the motherboard. The video options are cool, but again, if I get a high end graphics card (or even a pair of them) would this board be any better. I'm try to justify waiting for these boards to come out vs the 780 and P45's that are already available.

I can't see why you'd want this board if you're happy with your AVR, unless you want to use analog outputs from the HTPC to the AVR. Assuming your AVR has HDMI, you'd probably be better off getting either a GeForce 8200/G35/G45 motherboard that can handle 7.1 PCM over HDMI, or if you want a high-end graphics card regardless, get any board you like with an ATI Radeon 4000 series graphics card that can also output 7.1 PCM over HDMI. That will give you optimal video and audio quality.
post #200 of 3490 Old 07-02-2008, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can the G35 handle 7.1 PCM over HDMI? I was under the impression it could not. The G45 is supposed to do it, but I have not heard/seen anything demonstrating exactly what it can/can't do. The demo at Computex was less than stellar, but then it is still pre release so anything is possible right now.

Regards.
Java

post #201 of 3490 Old 07-15-2008, 11:59 AM

Was just wondering if there is any new updates/information that can be shared regarding this motherboard yet?

Today's google search finally turned up something worthwile... http://www.google.com/products?q=msi+7411&hl=en&show=dd

Shows three "no-name" retailers indicating the plans to carry this motherboard, though no pictures and not much other info. However, the price seams to be around $135.00us. Competive price, but honestly I don't think competitive enough unless your plans include taking advantage of the d2-audio add-in cards.

edit: No indication if any of the audio cards are included, or if it's just the bare motherboard
post #202 of 3490 Old 07-18-2008, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I think this shows we are getting very close to availability. Demand is stronger than originally anticipated for a first launch and therefore MSI needs to make some adjustments.

System Integrators will be the first to sell systems based upon this platform, channel DIY will follow shortly after.

If folks keep the pressure on MSI, they might move a little faster to meet channel demand.

Regards.
Java

post #203 of 3490 Old 07-19-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Well, I think this shows we are getting very close to availability. Demand is stronger than originally anticipated for a first launch and therefore MSI needs to make some adjustments.

System Integrators will be the first to sell systems based upon this platform, channel DIY will follow shortly after.

If folks keep the pressure on MSI, they might move a little faster to meet channel demand.

With everything being revealed regarding the TV Pack fiasco, I have a fealing this is going to channel, at least with the better d2audio boards.

I feel so frakked right now. This board was gonna be the core of my new system with Blu-ray (yes, I was gonna get one) and HD-PVR's. Now I wait till September.
post #204 of 3490 Old 08-12-2008, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
bump to bring the thread alive.
post #205 of 3490 Old 08-12-2008, 03:21 PM

oops... so much for back ups
post #206 of 3490 Old 08-12-2008, 10:45 PM

For the past few months I've been trying to purchase an HTPC with an integrated 5.1 amplifier. I was looking at the Alienware Hangar 18 but for quite some time now it hasn't been available with the 5.1 sound. I was also looking at the Asus DAV Center A33 but despite being reviewed on some sites as far back as early 2007 it's still not made it to market.

So my attention has now turned to making a DIY solution from the MSI MS-7411. As with everybody else expressing an interest on this thread I would like to be one of the first to get my hands on it!

so when will it become available!?
post #207 of 3490 Old 08-13-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feederz View Post

As with everybody else expressing an interest on this thread I would like to be one of the first to get my hands on it!

so when will it become available!?

I emailed MSI's Sales Department weeks ago asking the same question and never heard back.
post #208 of 3490 Old 08-14-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Folks,

I had a call with MSI today. They are working on the retail packaging now. The board is done and ready to go, but they need to finalize the packaging and then ship some to the US. They confirmed that they will make this board available via Newegg and a couple of other retail sites. I would expect it to be availble in early Sept. I am not sure how many they will get in stock, but they may go quickly.

Regards.
Java

post #209 of 3490 Old 08-14-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Will the production model be called the 7411? (If you can say...).
post #210 of 3490 Old 08-14-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Are there any updates to these questions asked a while ago?

I am curious if with the 780M and sideport memory, whether the phenom is still required for video postprocessing as it is with the 780G. It would seem to make sense that if there is enough video memory connected directly and the HT3/HT2 bus is not in the way, it should be able to turn all of the video processing on w/o needing a HT3 processor. Just thought I would ask.

We are only just seeing first samples now, so we have not yet looked at all the metrics. Time will tell.

How does video compare to discrete card like 3650? Does sideport memory do away with need for phenom processor to use the video post processing features. Does it deinterlace 1080i as well as descrete card?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page