Blu-Ray vs SDDVD - Color saturation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-04-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got the Lite-On BD-ROM for my HTPC and I hooked it up last night. I bought Across the Universe, which was a pain in the ass to get to work. However, I got it to work!

So me and my dad are sitting there in awe with the PQ (we own a stand alone HD-DVD too!). However, the one thing we noticed is that the picture seemed very much over saturated. Reds, and Yellow's in particular.

We also have Across the Universe on SDDVD in our HTPC. We loaded that up and the colors were much more natural. We kept going back and fourth and the consensus was that the colors on Blu-Ray movies in very much over saturated.

Today, we then got Mr. Magnorium's Emporium. We saw the same result. A lot of the scenes were highly over-saturated.

Is this just the nature of BD? Our display is calibrated and HDTV, SDDVD and even our HD-DVD player, the colors are nice and natural. However, with BR through the PC, the colors are nearly blinding.

Is this something that needs to be configured via the PC? If I configure this to where BR movies look good, will my SDDVD movies look dull since they look fine now?

Any help is appreciated!

Yamaha RX-V675 | Primus 363s fronts | Primus 163 rears | Primus 351 Center | Rythmik LV12R Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-05-2008, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You need to make a calibration profile for the PC which is loaded on startup. Use something like Spyder or equivalent. Also do you use the same player for HD and SD? I've experienced that color saturation is different between e.g. VLC and PowerDVD.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-05-2008, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLDRAGON View Post

You need to make a calibration profile for the PC which is loaded on startup. Use something like Spyder or equivalent. Also do you use the same player for HD and SD? I've experienced that color saturation is different between e.g. VLC and PowerDVD.

Profiling it with a spyder is overkill and won't work properly anyway with regard to saturation issues. The LUT generated by the spyder will only get loaded into the graphics hardware ( even then you will probably need to lock it down in powerstrip to stop it resetting).

At best you'll get 3 1d luts that correct RGB balance and gamma ( you might even only get a single tone scale lut depending on the hardware): they won't correct for color gamut: and they will probably be completely unecessary and might even introduce banding.

To use an ICC profile properly to adjust gamut you would need a software hook to allow the player to access it ( there are none that do this). On most consumer digital displays you probably need a 3dlut to get it properly accurate so even with the software hook its unlikley an ICC profile will be that accurate anyway.

Sticking with a linear LUT ( the default ) and calibrating the display at the end of the chain will likely give much better results.

Then the other issue is whether the player software is handling the rec.709 color gamut correctly with HD and vice versa with the 601 gamut for SD material when its upscaled.

However that doesn't really tell you what to do.

Get a test disc and play it through software that you use for BD playback (probably powerdvd?). Calibrate your display (or if you are fairly certain your display is accurate or you don't want to change its settings adjust the picture controls in your player software. Powerstrip is always useful on an HTPC to ensure that there is nothing weird going on : some other bit of software , especially games for example, loading unusual LUTS into the graphics hardware you are not aware of.

Using a sd dvd test disc for this is fine ( even the THX optimode if you have nothing else handy , ideally you will need the blue filter unless you can limit your display to only display the blue record in the service menu).

Assume that powerdvd is making the correct colorspace transform between 601 and rec 709 when it upscales. ( if it doesn't we'll get to that)

View a BD and see if you are happier with the colors .

If it still looks whacky try and get a proper HD test disc ( there is a free one available on here) and see if it makes a difference. I've found powerdvd to be alright in its colorspace transformation between SD and HD though to be honest.

digital film janitor
post #4 of 4 Old 03-05-2008, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Play the HD calibration disk and set up a custom color profile in PDVD. Calibrate using the HD calibration disk and save as a new color profile.

Vern
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page