Missing red color via DVI-> HDMI connection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-10-2008, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I have connected my HTPC to the AV Receiver (Yamaha RV-X2600) via DVI->HDMI which is connected to projector (Mitsubishi 3000 DLP) via HDMI cable and it has worked great for 18 months now. Suddenly the red channel is gone; instead of displaying red colours the projector just displays pure black. Blue and green colours are fine, though.

I can eliminate projector failure, as when I change video source coming into my AV receiver, I can see red color. HTPC produces red color fine when I look at output to LCD screen connected via VGA cable. It seems like something goes wrong on my output from HTPC video card (Nvidia 6600GT) DVI output into AC receiver HDMI input. I didn't change my set up, using same card, same input socket, same cable. The only thing I can suspect is that I was moving my AV rack, and HDMI connection might have been loose as a result. I have unplugged it and plugged back again just to make sure it is properly connected, but red color is still gone. I have tried second HDMI input on AV receiver, still no luck with red color.

I would really appreciate some help, as I run out of ideas. Could HDMI cable permanently damage something in AV receiver input or PC video card output if HDMI is not properly inserted?

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-10-2008, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
It is easy to get a DVI connector "cocked" so that all pins do not connect. Make sure when screwing down the DVI that you do each side a few turns and then switch sides. Do non screw one side down all the before starting on the other side.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-10-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
HDMI cables are notorious for breaking easily - the connectors are fragile and can break. Either the cable is broken or the HDMI input on the receiver or the projector is broken.

Good luck - let's hope it's just the cable.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-10-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Guys, thank you for your replies.

I tried to disconnect DVI cable and to connect it back again, very slowly, screwing down every side simulataneosly. Didn't show any imprvement in red color.

There are two HDMI inputs on receiver, I tried to change them, didn't help either. It would be very weired if two receiver inputs would be damaged at same time...

Projector I eliminated from this equation, since it shows red, when I swap video input on AV receiver. This tells me, that HDMI out on AV receiver, HDMI cable and HDMI in on projector are fine. This must be DVI->HDMI cable then... Not sure, how it can suddenly break, however. Do you mean the cable itself broke? or is it connector?.Should I visually see somethin if it is connector?

By the way, is it ok to unplug and plug in HDMI and DVI cables while AV receiver and HTPC is on?
post #5 of 10 Old 03-10-2008, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

tried another OS installation on same HW just to eliminate some driver issues. Got same result. Black color instead of red...
post #6 of 10 Old 03-11-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It would be a lot easier if you could just swap cables.

HDMI cables usually break at the connector - usually the pin breaks or it bends too far and doesn't make contact (usually happens when you move equipment around or when you unplug and reinsert HDMI cables several times). Sometimes this can occur in the A/V equipment's connector.

DVI almost never breaks - you can screw in the cable and it stays completely secure. However, HDMI is a badly designed cable and can easily fall out - especially when you move equipment around or if it is too heavy. And when you put stress on the connector it can break easily.

Why on earth did they choose this poor connector for HDMI? Stupidest thing I've ever seen. Even RCA jacks are more secure!
post #7 of 10 Old 03-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxleung View Post

Why on earth did they choose this poor connector for HDMI? Stupidest thing I've ever seen. Even RCA jacks are more secure!

Amen to that! The HDMI connector has to be one of the poorest designed connectors ever. I really hope that a future version has a better design, with some screws dammit.

Anway, to the OP, eliminate all the unknowns. Get a new cable and connect the computer directly to the projector, without the receiver. I've had cables mysteriously break on me from only the slightest of movements of my equipment.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-11-2008, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Dittos on the HDMI connectors as the primary suspect.
The HDMI connector is a total POS.
The MechE that designed it should have his diploma recinded.

I had one case where I had to use lacing tape to hold an HDMI connector in just the right position so that the green connector would make contact.

You'll probably have to waste a large sum of money buying different brands of HDMI cable to see if you can find one that actually works.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-11-2008, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

What ever happened to the locking screw that was supposed to be part of the standard?
post #10 of 10 Old 03-11-2008, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Do you have colorspace setup in your LCD? Maybe it's set to Y-CB-CR instead of RGB.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page