DVI-HDMI adaptor w/ audio passthrough support for nvidia 8600gt - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-15-2008, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I searched but I might not have searched hard enough...

I recently bought an MSI 8600GT which did not come with the required DVI-HDMI adaptor that will passthrough 5.1 audio.

The nice instructions have a picture of the adaptor i need, but i cant for the life of me find it on the MSI site, nvidia site, or elsewhere. Can I use the ATI dvi-hdmi adaptor for the nvidia card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814998003
or this diamond ati adaptor?
https://www.diamondmm.com/store/prod...roductid=16277

or are they proprietary? Anyone know where I can pick up the required adaptor for an nvidia card? Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-16-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The ATI card is using some of the pins normally used on a DVI-I connector for analog video or other spare pins not used by DVI to pass the audio and then the ATI adapter connects those pins to the sound pins on the HDMI connector. It is strictly a propriertaray solution unique to some ATI grphics cards.
AFAIK there is no corresponiding proprietary soution from NVIDIA.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-16-2008, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

The ATI card is using some of the pins normally used on a DVI-I connector for analog video or other spare pins not used by DVI to pass the audio and then the ATI adapter connects those pins to the sound pins on the HDMI connector. It is strictly a propriertaray solution unique to some ATI grphics cards.
AFAIK there is no corresponiding proprietary soution from NVIDIA.

So the MSI video card I bought supports audio passthrough, but it did not come with the requisite adaptor to make it happen. Apparently some of the MSI cards do, as do some asus cards...and several other 8x00 cards support it. its kind of ridiculous that msi would put in that functionality, but then not sell the part required to use the functionality:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...12&modelmenu=1

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...E_OC&class=vga

there is a nice picture there of the adaptor, but it doesnt seem to exist...
post #4 of 15 Old 03-16-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I stand corrected ASUS seems to have implemented the same type of solution that ATI did with its card as stated in its specs and as shown in it adapter picture.
The MSI card you linked to does not provide the same functionality or adapter.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-16-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

The Asus card still uses an SPDIF loopback connection from either an internal SPDIF header or from an external coaxial SPDIF connection the same as all other NVIDIA discretr cards with HDMI audio support.

It doesn't have an onboard audio chip like the ATi solution. On the plus side this means that standard DVI-HDMI adapters work for audio .

The Asus spec isn't very clear on this (I'd go as far as to say it's misleading) but I bought one just to see and know this for a fact. Very disappointing.

If you look closely at the picture, you'll see the two pins you need to connect the SPDIF loopback to next to the SLI connector.

It does work well (in fact I'd say the solution is just as good if not better than ATi's (providing you have SPDIF on your motherboard). Just don't expect anything more than 2-channel LPCM or DD and DTS passthrough. There is no HD audio support (as you'd expect from an SPDIF loopback).

Wo0zy
post #6 of 15 Old 03-16-2008, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

The Asus card still uses an SPDIF loopback connection from either an internal SPDIF header or from an external coaxial SPDIF connection the same as all other NVIDIA discretr cards with HDMI audio support.

It doesn't have an onboard audio chip like the ATi solution. On the plus side this means that standard DVI-HDMI adapters work for audio .

The Asus spec isn't very clear on this (I'd go as far as to say it's misleading) but I bought one just to see and know this for a fact. Very disappointing.

If you look closely at the picture, you'll see the two pins you need to connect the SPDIF loopback to next to the SLI connector.

It does work well (in fact I'd say the solution is just as good if not better than ATi's (providing you have SPDIF on your motherboard). Just don't expect anything more than 2-channel LPCM or DD and DTS passthrough. There is no HD audio support (as you'd expect from an SPDIF loopback).

Wo0zy

right, so i should have prefaced this with my setup...
I already have the 2 pin (spdif out/gnd) spdif out from my mobo connected to the vid card 2pin spdif in. I've tried both polarities since its not clear which pin is which on the vid card...

i am using a dvi-hdmi cable and not getting any audio. Should a dvi-hdmi cable work? If not, will any old dvi-hdmi adaptor + hdmi cable do?

I immediately suspected the dvi-hdmi cable connection since i can get audio fine if i plug in my headphones to the analog jack, but i get no audio on the tv (and since the tv is looking for audio from the hdmi cable, i can't get analog audio to work as i did with my old vid card).

If its the cable, and any old dvi-hdmi adaptor will do then that will be easy enough to fix. Its just that every description of the dvi-hdmi adaptors i read on monoprice state that they dont provide audio passthrough? :shrug:

i know that there is a crude work around (nvidia driver registry hack) to force tv's (that dont have this option in their setup) to look for analog audio input versus hdmi audio input, but id rather just get the hdmi audio to work :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

I stand corrected ASUS seems to have implemented the same type of solution that ATI did with its card as stated in its specs and as shown in it adapter picture.
The MSI card you linked to does not provide the same functionality or adapter.

MSI definitely doesnt make it clear, but the card that I got has the 2pin spdif in and states in the manual that it supports audio passthrough with a dvi-hdmi adaptor...

Oddly enough, the page for my card doesnt state that specifically, and the picture of the card doesnt seem to show the 2 pin input, although my card definitely has the 2 pin spdif input.

If you scroll down to the MSI card i linked, you'll see the following description:

"GeForce 8600GT Chipset Features

HDMI with Audio Integration Solution (optional)

The NVIDIA® GeForce® 8 Series graphics card supports HDMI with audio integration solution. With a DVI-to-HDMI adapter and an extra signal cord through the bracket, audio source from sound card(S/PDIF) can be integrated into HDMI interface by simply plugging the cord into the pinhead located on graphics card. Only 1 single HDMI cable is required while streaming audio/video data to flat-panel display devices, such as Plasma/LCD TVs, or projector."
post #7 of 15 Old 03-17-2008, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you running Vista?

If so, make sure you have the digital playback device set as default. Also, make sure the default playback format is 16-bit, 48KHz (or less) and DD, DTS and WMA are disabled then try an audio test.

Many Motherboards have 3-pin headers (+5V, SPDIF and Ground) I'm sure you only have two but I've heard of many people melting cables by connecting to 5v by accident (I love the smell of solder ).

If you've try all this then go for a DVI-HDMI converter. I can't remember whether I tried a DVI-HDMI cable or not (TBH it should work ). It definately worked with the converter though I can't think what pin-outs would be different.

What Motherboard do you have?

Wo0zy
post #8 of 15 Old 03-17-2008, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Are you running Vista?

If so, make sure you have the digital playback device set as default. Also, make sure the default playback format is 16-bit, 48KHz (or less) and DD, DTS and WMA are disabled then try an audio test.

Many Motherboards have 3-pin headers (+5V, SPDIF and Ground) I'm sure you only have two but I've heard of many people melting cables by connecting to 5v by accident (I love the smell of solder ).

If you've try all this then go for a DVI-HDMI converter. I can't remember whether I tried a DVI-HDMI cable or not (TBH it should work ). It definately worked with the converter though I can't think what pin-outs would be different.

What Motherboard do you have?

Wo0zy

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this - amazing how i am the only person apparently having trouble heh. Not a good sign.

I am running vista 64bit; My mobo is asus p5b-e, it does have the 3pin spdif out but i def did not hook up the +5v using a 2 pin connector.
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?mo...3&l2=11&l3=307
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...s_p5b-e/2.html

I have spdif set as the default audio device; Under supported formats i did have DD and DTS selected. I've unselected them - would my TV (samsung LNT4665f) not be able to support these, i would assume it could?
I have 48khz selected as the sample rate supported by the digital receiver.

under the advanced tab, i've got default format set to 2channel, 16bit, 48khz

I dont think this is a driver issue as I get sound out of the stereo analog jack, but it could be an issue. The SPDIF interface lists "soundmax integrated digital HD" as the controller. Device is enabled. Im wondering if theres anything special i need to do to ensure that the mobo is outputting on the spdif pins. I doubt it, and theres no option in the bios regarding that. But could be some issue with that :shrug: i dunno

The 2pin connector i am using i grabbed out of an old case, i dont know if its specifically an spdif connector... i would think that it would be fine for passing digital audio data tho. I may try to pick up another 2pin connector cable if this doesnt work. Guess i will also order an adaptor.

Its really hard to troubleshoot where the trouble is, unfortunately.

Anyways thanks for your help. I'll give one more stab at this and see what your response is then go buy some stuff to try :P

edit: so ill make sure my audio and chipset drivers are up to date, try your suggestions, and if neither of those things solve the issue, i will hit up monoprice
post #9 of 15 Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi, it seems like the people in this thread might better understand what I'm asking in the below thread. Could someone please suggest the fastest possible next gen video card with native HDMI out that passes audio through in this fashion.. you know, exactly like a Geforce 8500GT

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1006563

Thanks so much!
Michael

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-17-2008, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, i feel like an idiot :P

Updated the audio drivers and i finally have it working. sigh...that should have been the first thing i checked but i got sidetracked thinking i needed an adaptor. blah

Now to try to tackle the whole "using nvidia hardware accel in kmplayer/wmc for mkv files" I think on that topic i may just end up ocing my processor hah...

thanks woozy for your help

Michael, as for your thread...I cant help you bro. I think all the new nvidia chipsets support that, but i think it may vary on the card as to whether the manufacturer offers the feature. As long as the nvidia card you are looking at says it supports spdif audio passthrough you should be good. I am not aware of the power reqs for other cards, but a lot of the beefier cards require an additioanl 4pin pcie power connector that the 8500/8600 dont.

Thanks to this thread, i've learned that the diff between the nvidia hdmi audio passthrough solution and ati is that ati requires a special dvi-hdmi adaptor whereas nvidia just requires hooking up the spdif pin on the card to an out on the mobo (either the spdif coax out or a pin out actually on the mobo)

You should be fine with any of the newer generation cards :shrug:
post #11 of 15 Old 04-10-2008, 11:19 PM

As you, Jayas, seem to have had about the same issue I'm having (MSI 8600GT HDMI audio issues) and you got it working, I thought I'd ask about this here first. If it's not too much trouble, how many pins does your DVI to HDMI cable have on the DVI side? Is it full or does it have an empty area in the middle? I know my spdif output is working and I know I've got a good connection to the MSI board and I've tried both polarities but I still don't have hdmi sound. The only thing I can figure out is maybe it's the cable - the connector on the DVI side of my cable has an empty area in the middle and I've seen some adapters in stores that have every column full of pins, so that's why I ask. Also, what did you figure out as the proper polarity? Is the signal wire on top or bottom (where down is toward the PCIe connector and up is toward the SLI connector)? Thanks for your help.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-15-2008, 06:15 PM

FYI, I've just discovered (after troubleshooting this with countless different setups to no avail) that HDMI audio pass through is not yet supported under the Linux nVidia proprietary driver:

[search nvnews for thread 97993 - I can't link yet 'cause i'm a noob]

That pretty much explains why it doesn't work for me.

Additionally, through more research I've also learned that HDMI (Type A - which is pretty much all consumer A/V equipment) is only single-link TMDS - ie my cable which has the missing center pins should work fine because the middle two columns of pins on the DVI connector are for TMDS 3, 4 & 5 (the dual-link part) which wouldn't even be passed through to the HDMI connector. On the nVidia boards, the audio is added in between the video signal scan lines in TMDS 0, 1 & 2 (single-link), so, I think that means that if you're getting video via your DVI to HDMI cable/adapter that the audio from nVidia boards should work (if it's going to). I could be wrong though - I'm no expert.

All that being said, I'm still curious as to which polarity ended up working for you, Jayas. I'd like to be able to close up the case with the spdif connected in anticipation of the eventual Linux driver support coming through. Thanks for your help.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-15-2008, 10:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post

Hi, it seems like the people in this thread might better understand what I'm asking in the below thread. Could someone please suggest the fastest possible next gen video card with native HDMI out that passes audio through in this fashion.. you know, exactly like a Geforce 8500GT

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1006563

Thanks so much!
Michael

Palit 9600 GT HDMI - $129 after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814261002
post #14 of 15 Old 04-15-2008, 10:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks, but actually I found something considerably faster; with a G92 core (same as the 9800GT/9800GTX) except it nicely fits in one slot, and has this audio passthrough.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?It...tent&task=view

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Palit 9600 GT HDMI - $129 after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814261002

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-29-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayas View Post

Ok, i feel like an idiot :P

Updated the audio drivers and i finally have it working. sigh...that should have been the first thing i checked but i got sidetracked thinking i needed an adaptor. blah

Now to try to tackle the whole "using nvidia hardware accel in kmplayer/wmc for mkv files" I think on that topic i may just end up ocing my processor hah...

thanks woozy for your help

Michael, as for your thread...I cant help you bro. I think all the new nvidia chipsets support that, but i think it may vary on the card as to whether the manufacturer offers the feature. As long as the nvidia card you are looking at says it supports spdif audio passthrough you should be good. I am not aware of the power reqs for other cards, but a lot of the beefier cards require an additioanl 4pin pcie power connector that the 8500/8600 dont.

Thanks to this thread, i've learned that the diff between the nvidia hdmi audio passthrough solution and ati is that ati requires a special dvi-hdmi adaptor whereas nvidia just requires hooking up the spdif pin on the card to an out on the mobo (either the spdif coax out or a pin out actually on the mobo)

You should be fine with any of the newer generation cards :shrug:

Jayas,
To make sure I understand you correctly. Are you saying that a regular DVI to HDMI adapter can passthrough audio on an nvidia card (of course the spdif header needs to be connected). I was under the impression that this solution was propreitary, like the ATI solution is. Could you please clarify that the audio passthrough works on any DVI to HDMI adapter?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page