Pioneer BDC-202 not recognizing blu-ray disks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-30-2008, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Pioneer BDC-202 was reding all blu-ray disks fine for about 3 months (I get my disks from Netflix). It rejected only 1 disk out of about 20, and that disk had visible physical damage. But suddenly it stopped recognizing disks -over 1/2 of disks are not recognized - I insert a disk, the light comes on for like 30 seconds (it usualy takes about 5 seconds to recognize a disk) and then goes off, but AnyDVD and other progs say there is no disk in the drive.
The rest of blu-ray disks work just fine - if the disk is recognized, there are no issues with reading it and read speed is at theoretical maximum. THe issue is with both dual-layer and single layer disks and seems to be with particular movies - i.e. if the first disk has a problem, replacement disk almost always will not play as well (only one exception, but replacement disk looked very differently from the original one).

Does anywone have the same issue? Is this a Netflix issue or should I be looking at my blu-ray drive? I tried blowing the dust out of it (the only thing I can do without voiding the warranty). I can probably RMA the drive, but I wanted to see if it is in fact the drive issue before I do that.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-30-2008, 12:46 PM

Liked: 11
mbbd,

Sorry, no first-hand experience with your problem, but I'm researching this drive for possible purchase. The reviews at Newegg say you have to update the drive out of the box for it to work completely. Have you tried that?

I hope you find a solution to your problem, and if you do, update your post, it'll probably help me make a decision.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-30-2008, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I just got the BDC2202 drive (sata BDC-S02BK) this week. I have only tried three blu-ray discs and they all have been recognized. Unfortunately the included version of Windvd 8 would not play any of them even after patching from Pioneer site. I got Nero 8 and it has been able to play one out of the three so far. I guess I'm looking for yet another software player. I did find there is a firmware update on the Pioneer Europe site, but I can't unzip the file successfully: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/su...tml#fdvdwriter
post #4 of 4 Old 03-30-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Interesting thing - I left one of unrecognized disks in the drive, and a day later it was recognized and I was able to copy it just fine with AnyDVD (for my own viewing, not for piracy of any kind). I will try updating the firmware as I have version 1.01. Is there a US version of the update? I am a bit hesitant to install the EU update on a US drive.

to weeber24 - other than this issue, which started happening just two weeks ago, I am happy with the drive - watched about 25 blu-ray movies and about the same number of DVDs and burned a dozen of DVD disks with my photos just fine. It not very noisy. Not as fast as dedicated DVD burners, though, but not by a large margin.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page