post #91 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

You also need to disable PDVDServ.exe in services.

No you don't.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldet5 View Post

What video card and what movies were you having problems with? So far everything has been great on my P4 so either these MP4 movies are the odd ones or I have been extremely lucky in my picks.

I had issues playing Ratatouille and Pirates 3(MPEG4) but could play Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix(VC-1) without issue. My video card is the ATI HD2600 PCie.
post #93 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig8868 View Post

I had issues playing Ratatouille and Pirates 3(MPEG4) but could play Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix(VC-1) without issue. My video card is the ATI HD2600 PCie.

I just played Ratatouille and it was perfect, both with DD and LPCM.

Which one is Pirates 3? If it's "End of the World", or something like that, it played fine as well for me, with the HD soundtrack.

post #94 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

No you don't.

Yes you do
post #95 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig8868 View Post

Thanks, I'll give those a try. I have the newer HD3450 512M card so that might make a small difference.
post #96 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes you do

In Vista 32, it's unnecesary. I had it set this way when I was using Meedio, and I just went and tested it again now.

You only need to change the default programs/autoplay options as I described above.

post #97 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In Vista 32, it's unnecesary. I had it set this way when I was using Meedio, and I just went and tested it again now.

You only need to change the default programs/autoplay options as I described above.

There are no settings for the service that needs to be disabled. It ignores autoplay settings so when you put in the disk it plays. This was done testing on an XP machine. I'll go try it on Vista.
post #98 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone know if you can install PDVD-U on more than one computer (like a desktop and a laptop), or do you only get one license?
post #99 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone even tried to see if it's decoders work in Window Media Player? Something is either definitely broken; or, for the first time ever Cyberlink decided to stop sharing their decoders

Edit: Maybe it's required to manually hack the merit value of the decoders; but, regardless you shouldnt have to do something like that.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #100 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm running Vista 32 and I had to disable it in order to keep Power DVD from automatically launching.
post #101 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

I have been running observations from several movies. Here is what I saw:

Resident Evil:
Video: MPEG-2
Audio: TrueHD 5.1 up to 5000 kps
No stuttering

Resident Evil: Apocalypse:
Video: MPEG-2
Audio: Digital Dolby 2.0, 192 kps
No stuttering

Resident Evil: Extinction:
Video: MPEG4-AVC
Audio: TrueHD 2.0, up to 3500 kps
Frequent stuttering

Ratatouille:
Video: MPEG-4 AVC
Audio: Digital Dolby 5.1, 640 kps
No stuttering

Spiderman 3:
Video: MPEG-4 AVC
Audio: Dolby TrueHD 2.0, up to 4200kps
No stuttering

From the data above, I see no reason why my socket 478 3 GHz P4 should stutter for RE:E.

What's the difference between TrueHD 2.0 and TrueHD 5.1? Does 2.0 mean 2 channel stereo?

I am using PowerDVD 8.

Peter
post #102 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi guys,
I updated to 8 from 7 yesterday.
After paying 60 USD, i must say i got disappointed.
I didn't see any evident improvement. I tried with HDTV 1080i avc and Blu-Ray; CPU and memory usage stayed at the same level and no improvement in PQ IMHO.
At least i can use my PowerDVD 7 Ultra for HD-DVDs and ripped HDVs on my HDD.
What if i paid 100USD as a new customer?

Here is the comparison:

BTW:8's decoders work externally as well. I gave it a go with MPC-HC, WMP, DVBViewer.

Chronical Tester
post #103 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Window size is now restricted to no less than 628 lines high. Window size is limited with version 8 as well. It seems I paid $100 for it to have less capabilities than version 7.3

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #104 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

I found an interesting link about RE:E stuttering issue: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=969367

Look in thread #2:

"This article from HighDefDigest states that RE:3 is Sony's first Blu-Ray Profile 1.1 release. Obviously that's the key. Since it incorporates two video streams (the main feature film and the syncronized commentary stream), my guess is that my video card is only decoding the main stream, leaving the CPU to decode the secondary stream. This would make sense, since almost every chapter gives me a few seconds of good playback, then starts to stutter. This would be in line with starting the scene, letting the viewer get into it, then starting the commentary "In this scene we kill more zombies..."

So. The need for the profile 1.1 patch for PowerDVD just became critical with these new releases coming out. Those of you with more powerful processors should be okay, but those of us who live and die by hardware acceleration might be in for a rough ride."

It's possible that Cyberlink didn't implement Profile 1.1 100% correctly in PowerDVD Ultra (version 7 or 8).

Notice the link was dated back in January, long before PowerDVD introduced version 3730a a few weeks ago.

Peter
post #105 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nagy View Post

I found an interesting link about RE:E stuttering issue: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=969367

Look in thread #2:

"This article from HighDefDigest states that RE:3 is Sony's first Blu-Ray Profile 1.1 release. Obviously that's the key. Since it incorporates two video streams (the main feature film and the syncronized commentary stream), my guess is that my video card is only decoding the main stream, leaving the CPU to decode the secondary stream. This would make sense, since almost every chapter gives me a few seconds of good playback, then starts to stutter. This would be in line with starting the scene, letting the viewer get into it, then starting the commentary "In this scene we kill more zombies..."

So. The need for the profile 1.1 patch for PowerDVD just became critical with these new releases coming out. Those of you with more powerful processors should be okay, but those of us who live and die by hardware acceleration might be in for a rough ride."

It's possible that Cyberlink didn't implement Profile 1.1 100% correctly in PowerDVD Ultra (version 7 or 8).

Notice the link was dated back in January, long before PowerDVD introduced version 3730a a few weeks ago.

Peter

Are you using AnyDVD that may strip this out?
post #106 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you using AnyDVD that may strip this out?

Yes but it makes no difference whether AnyDVD is running or not. It still stutters either way.

Peter
post #107 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post

First impressions... Garbage.

With latest WHQL certified Nvidia drivers on a Geforce 8800GT, I tried one blu-ray disc.. Invasion. It's playing about 15 frames a second. Completely bloated interface and player. I'll give them a week to figure out a way to make it playback right on WHQL certified drivers and respective hardware. Otherwise, I'm returning it and reinstalling 7.3. What a POS.

Edit: If I exit the movie, and resume where I left off, it will playback the video correctly. Pretty lame.

Oh yeah, it also wont share it's directshow decoders with any apps; not even Windows Media Player 11... or anything else; unless there's some undocumented way to force them to be used in other apps.

I honestly didnt think it could be any worse than 7.3; but its actually alot worse.. basically unusable.

Same problem here both with 3730 and PDVD8, going to the top menu and pressing resume makes it play properly.
post #108 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Have you already reported this to Cyberlink tech support? I'm guessing if we're both seeing it, it's a pretty common issue. It's hard to believe they missed something like this. Maybe they expect us to beta test it for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

Same problem here both with 3730 and PDVD8, going to the top menu and pressing resume makes it play properly.

post #109 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

I may have finally solved the RE:E stuttering issue. This time I am sure. I may have found a cure for T-virus.

As my HTPC was powering up I accidentally noticed the DDR RAM frequency displayed 266 instead of 400. Long story short I got it to display 400. The stuttering was dramatically reduced. My HTPC RAM was probably running at 266 for a while.

The movie plays smoother if playing from ripped to ISO hard disk than from Blu-ray drive. There was some stuttering playing from Blu-ray drive so I overclocked the CPU by 10% from 3 GHz to 3.3 GHz and the stuttering was dramatically reduced but not 100% eliminated. My motherboard has capability of overclocking to as much as 30%. I hope 10% overclocking is not too much for a four year old CPU.

Looks like upgrading to dual or quad core CPU and at least DDR2 1066 RAM will definitly eliminate the stuttering. This will happen soon.

I watched the whole RE:E again from ripped to ISO hard disk with great pleasure of not seeing stuttering from this movie.

Peter
post #110 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 07:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

There was mis-information posted earlier. Saying the Ultra version of this player supports HD-DVD. Apparently one of the new features of this player is to lose HD-DVD capability completely.

post #111 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I may have finally solved the RE:E stuttering issue. This time I am sure. I may have found a cure for T-virus.

As my HTPC was powering up I accidentally noticed the DDR RAM frequency displayed 266 instead of 400. Long story short I got it to display 400. The stuttering was dramatically reduced. My HTPC RAM was probably running at 266 for a while.

The movie plays smoother if playing from ripped to ISO hard disk than from Blu-ray drive. There was some stuttering playing from Blu-ray drive so I overclocked the CPU by 10% from 3 GHz to 3.3 GHz and the stuttering was dramatically reduced but not 100% eliminated. My motherboard has capability of overclocking to as much as 30%. I hope 10% overclocking is not too much for a four year old CPU.

Looks like upgrading to dual or quad core CPU and at least DDR2 1066 RAM will definitly eliminate the stuttering. This will happen soon.

I watched the whole RE:E again from ripped to ISO hard disk with great pleasure of not seeing stuttering from this movie.

Peter

I'm not much of an overclocker and I have seen where if you don't get it right you will actually decrease performance.

Getting your RAM to match your FSB better was certainly a step in the right direction.
post #112 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

You are going to hate me for saying this. HD-DVD is DEAD!!!!!!

It does not make economic sense for Cyberlink to continue supporting this format. Toshiba no longer supports HD-DVD, then why should Cyberlink? Eliminating this format can help Blu-ray to play more reliably in the future. It's easier and cheaper to concentrate on one and only one format.

Sorry that I had to vent.

Peter
post #113 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 08:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, I know.. but the problem is that they removed this capability and introduced bugs in blu-ray playback which wasnt there before. It doesnt look like they concentrated on blu-ray playback.

Quote:

It does not make economic sense for Cyberlink to continue supporting this format. Toshiba no longer supports HD-DVD, then why should Cyberlink? Eliminating this format can help Blu-ray to play more reliably in the future. It's easier and cheaper to concentrate on one and only one format.

Peter

post #114 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, I know.. but the problem is that they removed this capability and introduced bugs in blu-ray playback which wasnt there before. It doesnt look like they concentrated on blu-ray playback.

I am aware of that. It's still new technology and they will fix the bugs. Give them some time. I like version 8 better than 7. The PQ appears to be better. I am hearing impaired and the sound is irrelevant to me. Are the new bugs introduced more related to sound than video?

Peter
post #115 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:

Peter

STFU. Some of us still have HD-DVD discs, it's not like we can rush out and buy blu-ray versions of them, because why? THERE NOT OUT.

It's utter ******** that cyberlink didn't put in HD-DVD support, copy and paste the code for it, which would only be the menus/interactive features/data format, other than that both formats support the same audio and video.

Just another reason not to purchase their products.
post #116 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am aware of that. It's still new technology and they will fix the bugs.

It's not new technology at all - they've been at this for over two years now, and are still selling ridiculously buggy garbage at premium prices.
post #117 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 08:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Its not new technology. And, they didnt do anything to improve picture quality.. at least not via hardware acceleration.. this is handled by your display adapter.. same stuff.

The video bug is mentioned above; already confirmed with one other person here.

Quote:

I am aware of that. It's still new technology and they will fix the bugs. Give them some time. I like version 8 better than 7. The PQ appears to be better. I am hearing impaired and the sound is irrelevant to me. Are the new bugs introduced more related to sound than video?

Peter

post #118 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Its not new technology. And, they didnt do anything to improve picture quality.. at least not via hardware acceleration.. this is handled by your display adapter.. same stuff.

The video bug is mentioned above; already confirmed with one other person here.

Sony keeps changing Blu-ray requirement. Profile 1.1 is relatively new. That won't last for long because Profile 2.0 is coming soon. I am expecting bugs when they introduce new features. Blu-ray protocol is far from being finished.

I work for a gaming company making video slot and poker games for casinos. We always come up with new game ideas and we always introduce new bugs at initial delivery and they will eventually get fixed. Blu-ray is no different. I understand what Cyberlink is going through and you just have to be patient.

Peter
post #119 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 08:41 PM

i upgraded to power DVD ultra 8 and i was wondering what settings should the smart deinterlacing mode be for playing bluray movies and regular DVD movies with bets possible picture. should i leave it at default or choose "based on bit stream flags"? based on bitstream analysis"? or always perform deinteralcing?" or no deinterlacing?

and also what setting should the hardware deinteralcing be? this settings seem confusing i dont know which ones to pick for me setup.
post #120 of 2309 Old 04-05-2008, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draziom View Post

i upgraded to power DVD ultra 8 and i was wondering what settings should the smart deinterlacing mode be for playing bluray movies and regular DVD movies with bets possible picture. should i leave it at default or choose "based on bit stream flags"? based on bitstream analysis"? or always perform deinteralcing?" or no deinterlacing?

Doesn't matter for films, the discs are progressive.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page