post #1171 of 2309 Old 07-01-2008, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post

That file doesnt belong there. PowerDVD looks for it in the C:\\Program Files\\CyberLink\\PowerDVD8 folder. Thank thanks anyway

That file doesn't officially belong anywhere in PDVD8.

It worked for me there which is why I suggested trying it.

Edit: Also, don't forget that you have to register deskband32.dll. You don't have to register js32.dll though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2309 Old 07-02-2008, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You guys who can't do HD-DVD with the 1730 builds of PowerDVD 8:

Are you using G35? Although the 1730 updates said bluray is not supported with G35, it does work. What does not work is HD-DVD with the hack! HD-DVD works with my ATI 3450, but not with G35 on the same system.

If you are using G35, and have an extra card lying around, try it and see if it works.
post #1173 of 2309 Old 07-02-2008, 02:53 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Edit: Also, don't forget that you have to register deskband32.dll. You don't have to register js32.dll though.

I'll give that a go tonight before I go for a fresh install over the weekend! I suffer from PDVD8 just shutting down as well! Seems to be fine on a bluray, but HDs are tempermental - some play, some just shut down the app. I also have the probs with unremovable subtitles and inability to access menus, especially on any WB movies.

Cheers
post #1174 of 2309 Old 07-02-2008, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, glad to hear that the analog o/p from HTPC is better.

I have a pretty good preamp-processor (Anthem AVM20 v2). But it is rather old now, no HDMI inputs.

Right now it is hooked up to the HTPC using optical S/PDIF. I want to try out the analog output and keep wondering if that is worth the trouble.

My sound card is older too...an Audigy 2ZS. Not sure if the DACs and op-amps are good enough on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizam View Post

Do you mean in general comparing using a HTPC as the processor and sending the analog signals to the Receiver instead of spdif to the Receiver and letting it decode and amplify?

OMG the difference is dramatic, even my wife noticed it and she has professed in the past that she doesn't give a damn about sound quality. Well now she does.

I imagine it depends on what you were using as a Receiver before, I use a Denon 3801 (which I'm ditching for a dedicated Amp).

Sam

-Rajiv
post #1175 of 2309 Old 07-02-2008, 05:37 AM

No go on HD DVD here as well. Kept getting dumped to file mode. .IMP from first hack pkg, all else from 4102 on another box. Commented, registered...no dice.

P
post #1176 of 2309 Old 07-02-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Are you using G35? Although the 1730 updates said bluray is not supported with G35, it does work. What does not work is HD-DVD with the hack! HD-DVD works with my ATI 3450, but not with G35 on the same system.

If you are using G35, and have an extra card lying around, try it and see if it works.

I am using an ATi 3850 and it is not working for me with version 1730, it still could be some kind of HDCP conflict with the 7.4 version of the files for the HD DVD hack.

I think the key is that if PDVD 7.4102 will play HD DVD's for you then the hack for PDVD8 1730 should work it is does not then I would not bother upgrading to 1730, so test PDVD 7.4 if you have it before trying the hack.
post #1177 of 2309 Old 07-02-2008, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Interesting, I did not have to register the deskband32.dll for the hack used in 1622U or prior, I will test that this weekend when I attempt this again.
post #1178 of 2309 Old 07-02-2008, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post

I am using an ATi 3850 and it is not working for me with version 1730, it still could be some kind of HDCP conflict with the 7.4 version of the files for the HD DVD hack.

I think the key is that if PDVD 7.4102 will play HD DVD's for you then the hack for PDVD8 1730 should work it is does not then I would not bother upgrading to 1730, so test PDVD 7.4 if you have it before trying the hack.

I did not change anything, only the video card, I didn't even uninstall/install any PowerDVD after installing the ATI card, the HD-DVD hack just started working. Don't know what could be the trouble with you though. But I don't think it's an HDCP problem because you can play bluray fine, right?
post #1179 of 2309 Old 07-02-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude View Post

I have a pretty good preamp-processor (Anthem AVM20 v2). But it is rather old now, no HDMI inputs.

Right now it is hooked up to the HTPC using optical S/PDIF. I want to try out the analog output and keep wondering if that is worth the trouble.

My sound card is older too...an Audigy 2ZS. Not sure if the DACs and op-amps are good enough on that one.

Yea, I'd update your soundcard, just go buy a Asus D2X whatever from a store that you can return it too if you don't like it (I went with a Prelude). I think what also helped in the improved sound department is the fact that going over analog I have access to the DTS-MA and Dolby-HD tracks as opposed to optical where you only get normal Dolby and normal DTS.

Panasonic 60VT60, Integra 9.9, Outlaw Amp, Sunfire EQ10, Liquid cooled Windows 7 Media Center

post #1180 of 2309 Old 07-02-2008, 05:37 PM

Hey all,

I'm looking for some help on getting the correct audio output on my receiver from my computer with PDVD. I have the newest version of PDVD 8 Ultra and I am running S/PDIF from my sound card to my receiver. When I go to enable S/PDIF in PDVD I get no audio playback at all. I have everything setup correct in Vista, with my default sound using S/PDIF. It will not play sounds on regular DVDs or Blu-Ray DVDs, is there a codec issue or something with PDVD? If I play a movie clip, say a trailer, with WMP 11 the surround sound will work correctly, but not in PDVD.

My sound card is a Chaintech AV710.
My receiver is an older Pioneer VSX-D498.

Any help?

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that we aim too high and we miss it, but we aim too low and reach it."
- Michelangelo
post #1181 of 2309 Old 07-02-2008, 07:36 PM

If this helps try not quoting out HDDVD in CLNavx it worked for me, but i'm still running 1622
post #1182 of 2309 Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

Incorrect. Most AVR's treat analog inputs as if you want to use them like an amp, period. It makes sense, actually.

Pre-pros are different, since they know they are feeding an amp.

How did you "just discover" your AVR is applying speaker config to the analog inputs? If it's just your ears, you're likely mistaken. If it's documentation, then you're in a somewhat unique situation.

because as I move the slider up and down for say center speaker channel level I can dial it down to low output or dial it up to clearly much, much louder output, if you insist I can bring out my PSL meter, but I think I can tell when something sounds multiple times louder (heck I original balanced all my speakers by ear and when I got the SPL meter I only had to change a total of two clicks over 5 speakers, although perhaps some of that was luck since people you shouldn't be able to do it so well by ear alone, and that is a heck of a lot more subtle than the adjsutments I was toying with here)....
And this is with my multi-channel analog inputs selected.

if you think about it simply applying a different amount of amp to each channel shoudln't be a problem for analog input. I mean amplification is analog it's not like it is a digital process.

It doesn't do any DSP effects or mixing bass channel partly into fronts or any of that stuff but it sure does appear to be able to amplify each channel to different degrees.
post #1183 of 2309 Old 07-02-2008, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He may not be incorrect.

My Yamaha HTR-5790 allows the adjustment of speaker levels on the multichannel analog inputs, just not DSP (soundfield) post processing. It does not specifically state/deny it in the documentation so I am trusting my ears and the difference is quite substantial and undeniable. If you REALLY want proof I can dig out my SPL meter but you can also confirm this in the HD-A1 thread in the HD DVD forum. It was the workaround for the low LFE problem for those of us with HD-A1s and Yamaha receivers.

yeah and have the same series of yamaha just a step lower.
post #1184 of 2309 Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

how is the sound quality this way if compared to using spdif?

(IF you have compared it, that is )

lots, lots better with my x-meridian (with OPA 627's).

of course if you send it analog out from a motherboard audio out your results may and probably will vary in a decidedly different direction.
post #1185 of 2309 Old 07-02-2008, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

that's not a bad card, but it is a step below the regualr XFi which is a step below the top end XFi which is a step below a modded x-meridian.

SPDIF is so much lower bitrate that I would think it might still sound better, but I can't be sure and I doubt it will sound as dramatically better as with a really solid analog sound card.

First I had a SoundBlaster2 or something then the 2ZS which sounded MUCH better then an XFI (but not the very top model) which sounded better still and now a modded x-meridian which is definitely even better yet.
post #1186 of 2309 Old 07-03-2008, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

yes, I think about updating the sound card too but I am torn between:

1. waiting for a HDMI sound output board AND buy a newer pre-pro.

OR

2. just update the sound card and live with this setup.

Of course the 2nd option is MUCH MUCH cheaper.
Makes me think if the 1st option is worth the trouble or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizam View Post

Yea, I'd update your soundcard, just go buy a Asus D2X whatever from a store that you can return it too if you don't like it (I went with a Prelude). I think what also helped in the improved sound department is the fact that going over analog I have access to the DTS-MA and Dolby-HD tracks as opposed to optical where you only get normal Dolby and normal DTS.

-Rajiv
post #1187 of 2309 Old 07-05-2008, 03:29 AM

i have a problem with powerdvd 8 & SPDIF passthrough (Option Speaker environment: Use S/PDIF... selected)

I have two DTS albums. One of them is Hotel California (it's like a miniDVD with menu), the attributes are:

Audio attributes:
Audio coding mode: DTS
Sampling rate: 48kHz
Audio application mode: Not Specified
Number of audio channels: 5.1
Bitrate: 1536 Kbps

and the other album is "Queen - Play the Game", it's a downloaded album made by something and have only dts tracks, no menu, no dvd structure... audio attributtes are:

Audio attributes:
Audio coding mode: DTS
Sampling rate: 48kHz
Number of audio channels: 5.1
Bitrate: 1411 Kbps

The first album plays perfect through S/PDIF, but the second album don't work, powerdvd don't send any signal to the receiver. It's strangeous.

Any solution?

Thanks & sorry for my english.
post #1188 of 2309 Old 07-05-2008, 09:52 AM

I have a question:

MIB BD-live features won't be loaded. PowerDVD 8 Ultra 1730b (and patch before) says: check your internet connection. I only use the vista firewall and I made two outgoing and incoming allowing rules for powerdvd8.exe and pdvd8serv.exe, but it doesn't help.

Since using patch 1730b the network options are gone, no more visible in the configuration menu.
post #1189 of 2309 Old 07-06-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by frytom View Post

I have a question:

MIB BD-live features won't be loaded. PowerDVD 8 Ultra 1730b (and patch before) says: check your internet connection. I only use the vista firewall and I made two outgoing and incoming allowing rules for powerdvd8.exe and pdvd8serv.exe, but it doesn't help.

Since using patch 1730b the network options are gone, no more visible in the configuration menu.

I tried it and had the same problem. Haven't tried a different bd live disc.
post #1190 of 2309 Old 07-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Oneline Multiplayer game works fine on my 1730B. Only have a firewall in my router, no software firewall.
post #1191 of 2309 Old 07-06-2008, 01:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

No, I'm not using a G35. Just a very standard Intel Quadcore CPU, Nvidia 8800GT and Creative Xi-Fi sound card (using the latest WHQL certified drivers.

Bottom line is somethign was changed in the 1730 code to cause it to not work. Up until 1622U, it worked consistently for everyone.

The differences between 1622 and 1730 are not significant to me. It's the upcoming major patch that I'm worried about which I've really been looking for... fixing the Vista Aero bug; which Cyberlink said will be due soon.

Quote:

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+ OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #1192 of 2309 Old 07-06-2008, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post

No, I'm not using a G35. Just a very standard Intel Quadcore CPU, Nvidia 8800GT and Creative Xi-Fi sound card (using the latest WHQL certified drivers.

Bottom line is somethign was changed in the 1730 code to cause it to not work. Up until 1622U, it worked consistently for everyone.

The differences between 1622 and 1730 are not significant to me. It's the upcoming major patch that I'm worried about which I've really been looking for... fixing the Vista Aero bug; which Cyberlink said will be due soon.

Hmm it still may be due to a combination of PowerDVD/graphics card. It worked with me when I installed a HD3450 with a G35 without changing anything but the card and drivers.

By the way, with G35, PowerDVD did not disable Aero when playing HD discs, so that may also be a thing of the card/driver.
post #1193 of 2309 Old 07-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone been able to get the region B (European) version of "3:10" to Yuma to play correctly with PowerDVD8. The menus don't work with the keyboard? I know that the region A disc works with the keyboard.

'tis the same with PowerDVD 7.3. The menus aren't selectable with the keyboard.

It works perfectly with Arcsoft.
post #1194 of 2309 Old 07-06-2008, 04:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, it definitely caused by a code change in 1730; I think it's more specifically related to people who have Vista Aero effects enabled. But, it's something which worked before consistently for everyone up until version 1622.

PowerDVD supports Vista Aero special effects for a couple of display adapters like Intel.. but not the major ones like Nvidia. Cyberlink says they are getting close to releasing a upgrade patch which will allow PowerDVD to work for Vista Aero enabled PC with Nvidia/ATI cards (with the latest drivers).

Quote:

Hmm it still may be due to a combination of PowerDVD/graphics card. It worked with me when I installed a HD3450 with a G35 without changing anything but the card and drivers.

By the way, with G35, PowerDVD did not disable Aero when playing HD discs, so that may also be a thing of the card/driver.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV:

+ OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #1195 of 2309 Old 07-07-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharangad View Post

Has anyone been able to get the region B (European) version of "3:10" to Yuma to play correctly with PowerDVD8. The menus don't work with the keyboard? I know that the region A disc works with the keyboard.

'tis the same with PowerDVD 7.3. The menus aren't selectable with the keyboard.

It works perfectly with Arcsoft.

3:10 to Yuma is region a/b/c (all regions). My german version of Yuma (region a/b/c) works correctly with the (full supported) keyboard (using Vista 32 Ultimate) with patch 1730b.
post #1196 of 2309 Old 07-08-2008, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I am noticing another issue with my setup:

All movies play in 16:9 format.

for example I was playing Ratatouille yesterday, is that not 2.35:1 ? My setup plays it in 16:9.

Is there a setting to change?

-Rajiv
post #1197 of 2309 Old 07-08-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

Do you want to use HDMI or spdif?

If HDMI, just select the number of channels, not HDMI.

I SPDIF, make sure that's your default audio device in Windows.

Finally an answer to what I've been searching for for the past hour. I installed PDVD8 and when I selected HDMI from the audio menu it would just crash the app every time. But selecting 6 speakers would work fine. Is this just a bug in the software? Even installing the latest PDVD8 patch didn't make any difference. The only thing I thought might affect this is that the patch clearly says that it does not support G33/G35. I have an Intel G33 motherboard, but I'm using an ATI HD 4850 to output over HDMI. So I wasn't sure if that limitation was for video out or if the entire chipset wasn't supported with that version of PDVD.
post #1198 of 2309 Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by slizzap View Post

Finally an answer to what I've been searching for for the past hour. I installed PDVD8 and when I selected HDMI from the audio menu it would just crash the app every time. But selecting 6 speakers would work fine. Is this just a bug in the software? Even installing the latest PDVD8 patch didn't make any difference. The only thing I thought might affect this is that the patch clearly says that it does not support G33/G35. I have an Intel G33 motherboard, but I'm using an ATI HD 4850 to output over HDMI. So I wasn't sure if that limitation was for video out or if the entire chipset wasn't supported with that version of PDVD.

As far as I can work out the HDMI option is for (upcoming) bitstream, as suggested LPCM works fine if you do not select HDMI. Why they leave this option in I am not sure, unless it is for SPDIF over HDMI?

BTW the latest patch does not make any difference to this feature as far as G35 is concerned, it always crashed PDVD when selected in my system, even before the lates patch.

Adam
post #1199 of 2309 Old 07-09-2008, 05:25 AM

The weird thing is after posting this I did a format and fresh install of Vista Ultimate SP1 and it's working now. I've been trying to think of what I did differently this time around and this is what I came up with:

1) I installed the latest Realtek HD Audio codec (R1.98) instead of using the one from Intel's website for my G33 motherboard (R1.92) - Note: not to be confused with Realtek's HDMI Audio driver which I installed after the ATI CCC, and was the same version as before - R1.97)

2) I installed ATI CCC 8.6 but did NOT install the ATI hotfix for the 48xx series Radeons.

3) After installing PDVD8 I did not install the latest patch.

Now when I select HDMI it actually works properly without crashing, or any problems. I tested the only 2 BluRay discs I have - Talladega Nights and Walk Hard, both worked perfectly. Once HDMI is enabled, if I then select AC3/DD Passthrough the audio stream shows as Dolby Digital 5.1 in PDVD8. Whereas if I select PCM, it shows TrueHD 5.1.

Just for the hell of it I may install the latest patch for PDVD8 later tonite just to see if I can break it. Maybe the ATI hotfix also.
post #1200 of 2309 Old 07-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can anyone give me a summary of performance tips for playing blu-ray via powerdvd 8? I have a 1.86Ghz Core 2 and a 7900 GTX, and my CPU is almost maxed out playing Gattaca, which is 26Mbps VCS(H.264?).

Seems like my GPU should be able to keep up much better than it is! Thanks!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page