post #271 of 5196 Old 05-05-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallybarthman View Post

I am mac owner (Core 2 Duo, 2 Gig of RAM) who has a parallels installation running Windows 2000. I pre-ordered a HD PVR a few weeks ago and here are some of my questions:

1) Will I need to upgrade my parallels installation to Windows XP? The pre-bundled software works with Windows 2000 but I know that is no guarentee that the drivers will work?

2) Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to capture content inside parallels? I know playback is out of the question - but as long as I can get the .ts onto my drive I should be able to play it back within Mac OS. It would seem to me that simply capturing the stream and writing it to disk shouldn't require much on the graphics side.

I'm don't think that it uses the standard BDA driver architecture so I'm not sure if it will work with Windows 2000 or not. You could try emailing Hauppauge and asking them. As for working in Parallels, I don't have a clue, sorry. I can test it on my wife's Mac when I get it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5196 Old 05-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
That is the issue. If the product is not successful enough, support for it falls to the way side.

Very true. But, no offense, who are you to tell what's successful and what's not? What's successful enough? Even Hauppauge has only goals and predictions, which may or may not come true, with or without vmc support. But do you think it's correct to flat out say it's a failure before it even launched and without knowing what numbers Hauppauge, the people behind the product, expects to sell? They are the ones that determine what's "enough" ...
post #273 of 5196 Old 05-05-2008, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

It can be connected to any device with component video out, it can be a non-pvr STB. There is a passthrough so that the HD PVR can then be connected to the TV via component (as you guessed) as well as to the computer via USB.

Excellent! Pre-Buying it now!
post #274 of 5196 Old 05-05-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:

I'm don't think that it uses the standard BDA driver architecture so I'm not sure if it will work with Windows 2000 or not. You could try emailing Hauppauge and asking them. As for working in Parallels, I don't have a clue, sorry. I can test it on my wife's Mac when I get it though.

My guess is that it'll work inside of Parallels - I've had very good luck with USB devices inside of Parallels. My concern is the Windows 2000 drivers. Thanks for the recommendation to e-mail Hauppauge directly.
post #275 of 5196 Old 05-05-2008, 01:20 PM

Excuse my ignorance, as I've only been experimenting and reading about HTPC's for the last month or so in preparation for my own HTPC. On the first page of this thread there is a link to a file:

Xftp://ftp.shspvr.com/download/moive_..._1080i_h264.ts

Is this file a h264 file? Excuse my retardation, but I can get this file to play through VMC on my computer. Wouldn't that make VMC support h264? or am I completely missing the point.
post #276 of 5196 Old 05-05-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbin77 View Post

Is this file a h264 file?

Yes it is.

Quote:
Excuse my retardation, but I can get this file to play through VMC on my computer. Wouldn't that make VMC support h264? or am I completely missing the point.

Not completely, my guess (knowing little about the inner workings of VMC) is that you're getting it to play as an "imported" file. I assume VMC just uses Dshow to play imported files like WMP does.

However, my understanding is that the recording/playback/timeshifting engine of VMC only uses/understands the dvr-ms (asf) container, and that that container/muxer/demuxer can't handle H.264 video. Thus VMC is currently unable to record/timeshift and perhaps even play (in TV/recording mode) H.264 video.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #277 of 5196 Old 05-05-2008, 02:34 PM

thank you that is helpful. I guess I'll find out once this sucker is officially released and reports start flowing in.
post #278 of 5196 Old 05-05-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Not completely, my guess (knowing little about the inner workings of VMC) is that you're getting it to play as an "imported" file. I assume VMC just uses Dshow to play imported files like WMP does.

However, my understanding is that the recording/playback/timeshifting engine of VMC only uses/understands the dvr-ms (asf) container, and that that container/muxer/demuxer can't handle H.264 video. Thus VMC is currently unable to record/timeshift and perhaps even play (in TV/recording mode) H.264 video.

Yep, putting in MCE terms you can take the ts files and play then from the 'Videos' section of Media Center (folder based).

They will not show in the Recorded TV portion of Media Center (which only shows DVR-MS files), and of course you can't use Media Center to do live viewing or recording from the HD PVR until Hauppauge releases drivers for it to work (which can not happen until Microsoft releases the next Media Center update).

Chris
post #279 of 5196 Old 05-05-2008, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I'm pretty sure Hauppauge does not officially support Windows 2000 with any of it's newer devices. The application software supplied (Arcsoft?) is XP/Vista only so you would have to use third party software that does run on Win2K (like GB-PVR) assuming the BDA drivers will install.

The drivers could work (I use an HVR1600 on Win2k) or they could fail dramatically. If I install any driver upgrade version, it will bluescreen with a ROM failure at boot. You must boot to a DOS command line and manually delete or rename the hcw18bda.sys file. You can't even get to Safe Mode. The initial driver worked on multiple operating systems, the next versions kill Win2k.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #280 of 5196 Old 05-05-2008, 08:45 PM

Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waters_10 View Post

Very true. But, no offense, who are you to tell what's successful and what's not? What's successful enough? Even Hauppauge has only goals and predictions, which may or may not come true, with or without vmc support. But do you think it's correct to flat out say it's a failure before it even launched and without knowing what numbers Hauppauge, the people behind the product, expects to sell? They are the ones that determine what's "enough" ...

No offense taken. If you decide that my opinion is powerful enough to make you rethink yours, then you are the one who decides that I can tell you such things.

I do not put IMO infront of every opinion I write. It is assumed that posts of such nature are my opinion.

IMO, a product which does not work for over half the market in which it is aimed is a failure. YMMV.

All this, of course, is said with the assumption they will be unable to support VMC. If they do, then everything changes.
post #281 of 5196 Old 05-06-2008, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

It will work in VMC systems too, just the Media Center won't be able to use it.

VMC...Vista MEDIA CENTER.

If it cannot work in VMC systems if it cannot work in Media Center...

I believe the OP was trying to make the distinction between "VMC" the operating system and "VMC" the HTPC front-end application. His point was that the Hauppauge drivers would work on "VMC systems"--i.e., PCs with the Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate OS installed--just like they'll work on "WinXP systems" or PCs loaded with other versions of Vista. Thus, you could use the Hauppauge apps and/or compatible 3rd-party front ends like SageTV with Vista to enjoy the HD PVR.

He was pointing out that it's ambiguous to say, "VMC does not support the HD PVR," and was trying to clarify that it's only the Media Center front-end in Vista that (today) does not support the HD PVR, not a fundamental incompatibility at the OS level.

That's a fair distinction to make for the benefit of the silent masses of people trying to follow the discussion.
post #282 of 5196 Old 05-06-2008, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhnke View Post

I believe the OP was trying to make the distinction between "VMC" the operating system and "VMC" the HTPC front-end application....That's a fair distinction to make for the benefit of the silent masses of people trying to follow the discussion.

Or who are hoping that this Johnny-one-note debate will now go away and let the thread return to news and discussion of actual features of this new widget.
post #283 of 5196 Old 05-06-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

I'm pretty sure Hauppauge does not officially support Windows 2000 with any of it's newer devices. The application software supplied (Arcsoft?) is XP/Vista only so you would have to use third party software that does run on Win2K (like GB-PVR) assuming the BDA drivers will install.

The drivers could work (I use an HVR1600 on Win2k) or they could fail dramatically. If I install any driver upgrade version, it will bluescreen with a ROM failure at boot. You must boot to a DOS command line and manually delete or rename the hcw18bda.sys file. You can't even get to Safe Mode. The initial driver worked on multiple operating systems, the next versions kill Win2k.

Here's what I heard from Hauppauge:

Hello,
The HD-PVR will only work in XP or Vista so an upgrade would be needed from Windows 2K. I'll forward you're comment to engineering about Elgato support.
post #284 of 5196 Old 05-06-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhnke View Post

I believe the OP was trying to make the distinction between "VMC" the operating system and "VMC" the HTPC front-end application. His point was that the Hauppauge drivers would work on "VMC systems"--i.e., PCs with the Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate OS installed--just like they'll work on "WinXP systems" or PCs loaded with other versions of Vista. Thus, you could use the Hauppauge apps and/or compatible 3rd-party front ends like SageTV with Vista to enjoy the HD PVR.

He was pointing out that it's ambiguous to say, "VMC does not support the HD PVR," and was trying to clarify that it's only the Media Center front-end in Vista that (today) does not support the HD PVR, not a fundamental incompatibility at the OS level.

That's a fair distinction to make for the benefit of the silent masses of people trying to follow the discussion.

There is no VMC operating system. It is the Vista operating system and the Vista Media Center front end. It would be as if you said SageTV is an OS. It is not, it is simply a front end which runs on Vista, just like VMC.

There WAS a MCE2005 (and MCE 2004) operating system, which was based on XP but was a different OS. Microsoft simply added VMC to the standard Vista OS instead of creating an entirely new OS.

It is actually very precise to say VMC does not support the HD PVR (provided it is still true, of course).

But again I ask, let us turn back to the topic of the thread, shall we?
post #285 of 5196 Old 05-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I am mac owner (Core 2 Duo, 2 Gig of RAM) who has a parallels installation running Windows 2000. I pre-ordered a HD PVR a few weeks ago and here are some of my questions:

1) Will I need to upgrade my parallels installation to Windows XP? The pre-bundled software works with Windows 2000 but I know that is no guarentee that the drivers will work?

2) Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to capture content inside parallels? I know playback is out of the question - but as long as I can get the .ts onto my drive I should be able to play it back within Mac OS. It would seem to me that simply capturing the stream and writing it to disk shouldn't require much on the graphics side.

Wally: I am with you: waiting for my pre-ordered HD-PVR to use with my Mac but then I want to send the files to my AppleTV.

1) I successfully used the Windows-XP from my copy of Connectix Virtual PC 6 inside of Parallels (if you had the product, if not looks like your looking for a clean install copy on eBay).

2. I took the sample file linked earlier in this thread and, being 1080, it chocked my AppleTV; my interest is to see how a 720 file will work on the AppleTV.

3. I took the sample file and tried to transcode it in VisualHub (Mac GUI frontend to ffmpegx) but it failed. I posted the log on the VisualHub forum and Tyler replied that it does not support interlaced H.264. I'm no expert on video codecs, but why at this stage of the game would anyone want to interlace video??? Hopefully this is a setting that we can change in Hauppauge.
post #286 of 5196 Old 05-06-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

... why at this stage of the game would anyone want to interlace video??? Hopefully this is a setting that we can change in Hauppauge.

Hauppauge's HD-PVR product spec page does not offer you much hope there: "Recording format: up to 1080i from component video" and "the video input format determines the recorded format. For example, 1080i input records at 1080i".
post #287 of 5196 Old 05-06-2008, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:

I'm no expert on video codecs, but why at this stage of the game would anyone want to interlace video???

Because (as near as I can tell) it records in whatever format the source device is outputting. If it's outputting 1080i, it records that, if it's 720p, it records, that, 480p@480p, etc. It doesn't "interlace the video" it records the video as-is. This is the way it should be, that way if you've got good video processor, you can let it take care of the deinterlacing. This device is nowhere near expensive enough to do the HD IVTC or adaptive deinterlacing that video cards and good video processors can do.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #288 of 5196 Old 05-06-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Wally: I am with you: waiting for my pre-ordered HD-PVR to use with my Mac but then I want to send the files to my AppleTV.

1) I successfully used the Windows-XP from my copy of Connectix Virtual PC 6 inside of Parallels (if you had the product, if not looks like your looking for a clean install copy on eBay).

2. I took the sample file linked earlier in this thread and, being 1080, it chocked my AppleTV; my interest is to see how a 720 file will work on the AppleTV.

3. I took the sample file and tried to transcode it in VisualHub (Mac GUI frontend to ffmpegx) but it failed. I posted the log on the VisualHub forum and Tyler replied that it does not support interlaced H.264. I'm no expert on video codecs, but why at this stage of the game would anyone want to interlace video??? Hopefully this is a setting that we can change in Hauppauge.

I'm with you on not being able to play the test file on my Mac. VisualHub, HandBrake, and MPEG Streamclip all rejected it. VLC Player would open it but it couldn't play it back properly. MPEG Streamclip, usually my most reliable tool correctly figured out the stream information but said that the file was incomplete.
post #289 of 5196 Old 05-06-2008, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm with you on not being able to play the test file on my Mac. VisualHub, HandBrake, and MPEG Streamclip all rejected it. VLC Player would open it but it couldn't play it back properly. MPEG Streamclip, usually my most reliable tool correctly figured out the stream information but said that the file was incomplete.

I too am a Mac user with high interest in this device. I don't have an aTV, but that's something on my list. I do have access to a few PCs, but they aren't what I'd call powerhouses.

Hadn't heard the part about the HD-PVR keeping the resolution the same (i.e. 1080i to 1080i, 720p to 720p, etc), but that's interesting.

For my uses, this isn't that big a deal because my source device (Sony DHG-HDD250) can convert everything to 720p for me. Not the best solution, but it's probably good enough.

Does anyone have a 720p sample clip to see if it'll work with an Mac or an aTV (or at least something that MPEGStreamclip can work with)?

ft
post #290 of 5196 Old 05-06-2008, 09:18 PM

This was a nice email I got today . At least they let the buyer know whats going on

cut and paste

>Thank you for your online order for the HD-PVR.

Hauppauge Computer Works knows that you are anxiously awaiting delivery of the HD PVR and we are doing everything we can to expedite shipment from our manufacturer. Unfortunately we have run into a short production delay on the plastic cases but we are expecting to ship your order by the end of the month and we apologize for this delay.

ELM_SD

Quality TV = C-Band
post #291 of 5196 Old 05-06-2008, 09:33 PM

What Windows program did people use to play the test file that was posted?
post #292 of 5196 Old 05-07-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm_sd View Post

This was a nice email I got today . At least they let the buyer know whats going on

cut and paste

Hauppauge Computer Works knows that you are anxiously awaiting delivery of the HD PVR and we are doing everything we can to expedite shipment from our manufacturer. Unfortunately we have run into a short production delay on the plastic cases but we are expecting to ship your order by the end of the month and we apologize for this delay.
<

That is nice. Very professional of them. I expected the ship date to slip, but it is good they let you know it did. It always sucks to have to search for that information on your own.
post #293 of 5196 Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by elm_sd View Post

cut and paste

<

I can confirm I got almost the same email this wknd when I asked for a shipping ETA...response was within about an hour--impressive for most any company these days.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #294 of 5196 Old 05-07-2008, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Hopefully, someone will actually receive theirs and post results regarding PQ and copy protection SOON !
post #295 of 5196 Old 05-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom View Post

Hauppauge's HD-PVR product spec page does not offer you much hope there: "Recording format: up to 1080i from component video" and "the video input format determines the recorded format. For example, 1080i input records at 1080i".

Except for the fact that since the AppleTV is my ultimate destination, and it's current "top" HD quality is at 720p, I plan to set my DirecTV Receiver to 720p output for the Hauppauge, so I am saved by the bell! You should have ended your quote with an elipsis...

"Note: the video input format determines the recorded format. For example, 1080i input records at 1080i, 720P records at 720P, etc."
post #296 of 5196 Old 05-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Now that I realize that set at 720p, the HD-PVR will output in progressive H.264, I am very optimistic about both MPEG Streamclip and VisualHub working! Time will tell...

I've had previous success with MPEG Streamclip editing out content in H.264 files and getting great AppleTV results at 720p24 AC3 + AAC-stereo with VisualHub.

Also, for Standard Definition recordings, we'll be able to set the DirecTV receiver's output to 480p, and for SD letterboxed content the display format setting button on the DirecTV remote to zoom out the image to the full screen will also result in a full framed widescreen output file.
post #297 of 5196 Old 05-09-2008, 08:09 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just starting out and need to make the necessary purchases to improve my HT. I am waiting for some user evaluations of the Hauppauge HD-PVR before ordering. To keep things simple I want to use my cable DVR to record programs on its drive and then move them to a networked drive via the HD-PVR. I will need to buy a PC (wife needs a laptop so I am going that route), wireless router, media server, etc.

I am looking at a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ348 at CC. It has:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.66HZ
Bus Speed: 667MHz
Level 2 Cache: 2MB
Ram: 2GB
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray ROM, DVD W/R
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT graphics card w/ 256MB dedicated (able to decode h.264)

Does this processor/graphics combo have the capacity to handle files from the Hauppauge HD-PVR as well as edit hi-def files? At a later date I may add a dedicated HTPC but would like to use the laptop initially. Thanks for your input.
post #298 of 5196 Old 05-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready to go View Post

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just starting out and need to make the necessary purchases to improve my HT. I am waiting for some user evaluations of the Hauppauge HD-PVR before ordering. To keep things simple I want to use my cable DVR to record programs on its drive and then move them to a networked drive via the HD-PVR. I will need to buy a PC (wife needs a laptop so I am going that route), wireless router, media server, etc.

I am looking at a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ348 at CC. It has:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.66HZ
Bus Speed: 667MHz
Level 2 Cache: 2MB
Ram: 2GB
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray ROM, DVD W/R
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT graphics card w/ 256MB dedicated (able to decode h.264)

Does this processor/graphics combo have the capacity to handle files from the Hauppauge HD-PVR as well as edit hi-def files? At a later date I may add a dedicated HTPC but would like to use the laptop initially. Thanks for your input.

IMO that CPU is quite underpowered for HD editing and playback even with the h264 decoding on the geforce. I think the stickied guide at the top of the forum group could help you refine your minimum specs for successful performance.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #299 of 5196 Old 05-09-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws View Post

IMO that CPU is quite underpowered for HD editing and playback even with the h264 decoding on the geforce. I think the stickied guide at the top of the forum group could help you refine your minimum specs for successful performance.

Thanks for your help Sclaws...I had my concerns about the CPU
post #300 of 5196 Old 05-11-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:

... You should have ended your quote with an elipsis...

No, I should have skipped trying to help you by providing you with information that addressed your point that I quoted.

By all means, feel free to hunch over your keyboard with your copy of Elements of Style and police this forum. But since you are concerned with "should", here's one:

You should have said "Thank you...". And let me expand that ellipsis for you: "Thank you for just quoting the relevant material, and for not belittling me by pointing out that the information quoted is readily available to anyone, that it is in the most obvious possible place to look, that it directly contradicts my expressed 'hope', and that many people would think that it was careless and lazy of me not to known that information before I posted".

Should on you.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page