Hauppauge WinTV HD PVR (H.264) screenshot - Page 101 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3001 of 5196 Old 10-26-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok everyone is using the arcsoft software to capture the recordings correct?

i only ask that because after 2 tries, i am not getting the dolby digital 5.1 audio... am i doing something wrong?

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 5196 Old 10-26-2008, 08:14 PM

Thank you, guys!

I knew that Dual-Core 2 GHz was borderline for HD-PVR, but I was planning to overclock the CPU. Obviously, I didn't do my homework completely, before ordering the PC, as now I realize that the motherboard will not allow me to overclock anything (by the way, it is an HP PC).

My new computer is supposed to arrive within a day or two, so I guess when I power it up and play with it a little bit, I'll see what results I'm going to get.

So, the prognosis here is that if I use CoreAVC and get a 3400 series card, or similar, I might be okay.
post #3003 of 5196 Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldR View Post

Thank you, guys!

I knew that Dual-Core 2 GHz was borderline for HD-PVR, but I was planning to overclock the CPU. Obviously, I didn't do my homework completely, before ordering the PC, as now I realize that the motherboard will not allow me to overclock anything (by the way, it is an HP PC).

My new computer is supposed to arrive within a day or two, so I guess when I power it up and play with it a little bit, I'll see what results I'm going to get.

So, the prognosis here is that if I use CoreAVC and get a 3400 series card, or similar, I might be okay.

Like was mentioned, you can download a fully working free 15 day trial of CoreAVC, it might be all you need, but if not I think one of the newer ATI cards will probably put you in cruise control, it certainly made a night and day difference for my setup. I can now play a blu-ray disk and do anything else I want on the machine and never even skip a beat during playback. If it's onboard video, you also reclaim that memory, which doesn't hurt either.
post #3004 of 5196 Old 10-26-2008, 09:17 PM

Does the WinTV HD PVR work with the Intel GMA X3100 graphics chipset or must I use a machine with dedicated graphics?
post #3005 of 5196 Old 10-26-2008, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With that being said, you can download a full working copy of CoreAVC for a 15 day free trial and see how it works for you, it really is a good encoder for the h264 stuff. The video card will accelerate VC1, H264 and Mpeg2, which you will run into if you get into the blu-ray world.

did you mean decoder ? It's not a trivial mistake... let's keep our lexicon precise...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #3006 of 5196 Old 10-26-2008, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

did you mean decoder ? It's not a trivial mistake... let's keep our lexicon precise...

yes, I meant decoder, CoreAVC is an AVC Decoder, I corrected the other post.
post #3007 of 5196 Old 10-26-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Like was mentioned, you can download a fully working free 15 day trial of CoreAVC, it might be all you need, but if not I think one of the newer ATI cards will probably put you in cruise control, it certainly made a night and day difference for my setup. I can now play a blu-ray disk and do anything else I want on the machine and never even skip a beat during playback. If it's onboard video, you also reclaim that memory, which doesn't hurt either.

I already downloaded that trial version of CoreAVC and installed it on my current PC (Pentium 4, 3 GHz). Didn't notice a lot of improvement, if any, playing my TS files.

When my new dual-core arrives, I'll install my old Radeon X700, plus CoreAVC, and give it a try. As you are saying, I'll most likely need to get a better video card (with hardware acceleration), however that will require upgrading the power supply in the new PC, as well. Even though HP does not give the wattage in their technical specs, it appears that it is only 250 W, which will not be enough for any new video card.

Long story short, I'm already thinking about returning the new PC and getting something more appropriate. Don't really want to go that way, but that may be the proper solution, I'm afraid.

I'll definitely give new PC a chance, with CoreAVC and my existing video card, but if that doesn't work well, my options will be either spending around $100 for the new PSU and a video card, hoping it's going to be sufficient, or return the PC and get a more powerful one (probably another few hundred bucks). Decisions...decisions!
post #3008 of 5196 Old 10-26-2008, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

CoreAVC will use both cores, which is a big help. It's your decision, but if you have any intentions of playing blu-ray, etc... you would probably be well served to think about another machine, especially if you don't think you can bump up your soon to be PC without several modifications. In my experience the video card made all the difference in the world.
post #3009 of 5196 Old 10-26-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

CoreAVC will use both cores, which is a big help. It's your decision, but if you have any intentions of playing blu-ray, etc... you would probably be well served to think about another machine, especially if you don't think you can bump up your soon to be PC without several modifications. In my experience the video card made all the difference in the world.

I really don't know what to do. Like I said, if I knew for sure that I would get desired results with a new card only, plus a new PSU (I don't think I can avoid that), I'd still be better off with spending around $100 or so, for these two, rather than going for a completely different, and more powerful machine. The problem is I can't get the answer, unless I go that route and start spending more money.
post #3010 of 5196 Old 10-26-2008, 10:46 PM

Has anyone got a TME update/upgrade yet to the version that supports burning 5.1DD to discs???
post #3011 of 5196 Old 10-27-2008, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

dsinger,

after two tries, i still cant seem to get the 5.1 audio... i installed the drivers correctly and everything... does anyone have any tricks to getting the 5.1 audio... also, is there a setting i have to change to make sure i have the 5.1 audio?

post #3012 of 5196 Old 10-27-2008, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Raven,

As a former Jersey-boy, wassup?
Anyhow, I would do the following....check that you have the spdif OUT of your source going to the SPDIF IN on the HD-PVR. Oh wait, I just reread your post. I am using SageTV to capture the audio/video and I've had no problems with 5.1. At the risk of sounding like an idiot, has anyone posted an update to TME software that captures 5.1 sound? My understanding from a few weeks back is that it only grabs 2 channel audio at this point.

-Brian
post #3013 of 5196 Old 10-27-2008, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

oh ok... so sage tv would be my best bet to record stuff from my dvr in 5.1?

sorry guys if i am asking stupid questions...

my whole thing again is to get my recordings in my computer so i can stream it via tversity..

so far i am just just the arcsoft software that came with the PVR.

post #3014 of 5196 Old 10-27-2008, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post

Raven,

As a former Jersey-boy, wassup?
Anyhow, I would do the following....check that you have the spdif OUT of your source going to the SPDIF IN on the HD-PVR. Oh wait, I just reread your post. I am using Sage TV to capture the audio/video and I've had no problems with 5.1. At the risk of sounding like an idiot, has anyone posted an update to TME software that captures 5.1 sound? My understanding from a few weeks back is that it only grabs 2 channel audio at this point.

-Brian

The Arcsoft software captures 5.1 audio fine, its burring to disc Arcsoft has an issue. From Hauppague Support site.

NOTE:
The current version of Arcsoft Total Media Extreme can not burn AVCHD disks with 5.1 audio. Audio encoded with 5.1 audio will be transcoded to AC3 2 channel audio. An updated version of Arcsoft Total Media Extreme will be available mid October with full 5.1 disk burning support. TV programs recorded today with 5.1 audio will be able to be burnt to disk when the new TME comes out.
post #3015 of 5196 Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

kemac,

do i have to change a setting to record the 5.1 audio or i dont have to do anything but make sure its picking the spdif....

post #3016 of 5196 Old 10-27-2008, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

kemac,

do i have to change a setting to record the 5.1 audio or i dont have to do anything but make sure its picking the spdif....

Make sure you have installed the latest driver, May want to uninstall and reinstall to be sure. Make sure you have spdif selected as the source and do not have the RCA audio cables connected to be safe. I recall reading somewhere having both optical and RCA connected would cause issues.

Obiously whatever your recording must be 5.1, if you start recording early you might pickup a few seconds of 2.0 at the beginning of a show which may cause the whole file to get reported as 2.0 if your using a program like Mediainfo. Hope that helps!
post #3017 of 5196 Old 10-27-2008, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

The HDPVR box started powering down yesterday. The audio/video switch that controls my TV started going crazy. Tracked it down to the sound that XP Pro emits when a USB device comes up or goes down. Called support and I'll see what happens. Had it three months. Gonna need it to record all the AbC programming starting in Feb.
post #3018 of 5196 Old 10-27-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Kemac... thanks for your help... i think that might be the problem... i have the two rca audio cables plugged in the pvr and the spdif.... that might be it..

post #3019 of 5196 Old 10-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

Kemac... thanks for your help... i think that might be the problem... i have the two rca audio cables plugged in the pvr and the spdif.... that might be it..

Found it on the support site where the latest driver is posted,. here it is below. Good luck! Let us know your results Raven.

Note: you need to disconnect the left/right audio cables from HD PVR in order to use SPDIF. Also, makes ure the SPDIF cable is plugged into the Opt In connector.

In addition, this version of HD PVR software supports new features such as: record to M2TS for playback on the Sony PS3 (M2TS formats will require an updated Arcsoft Total Media Extreme, which will be in beta test soon).
post #3020 of 5196 Old 10-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
While my HD recordings look great using 720p, I'm kind of struggling with SD recordings. I've currently set my set top box to 480i output, but the files look kind of bad, when I play them with the MPC video decoder (hw deinterlacing doesn't look to good). It looks better when I switch to an SW decoder (e.g. ffdshow). But in that case I'd always have to switch decoders when I playback HD or SD. Is there a way to set different decoders based on resolution (different one for 720p compared to 480i)?

Alternatively I could record in 480p (setting the set top box output to that resolution). The problem that I have here though is that the picture is always stretched to 720x480. The black frames on the sides are gone. Is there any place where I could set this in the encoder properties? Also, how come that 480i does not get stretched the same way (I get 720x480 including the black bars).
post #3021 of 5196 Old 10-28-2008, 06:36 AM

I am looking for a easy to install capture device that my system will support. Here are some details of current televison source.

Directv set top box DirecTV
5 Multi LNB Dish
Manufacturer 100
Model HR22
Software 0x290

I am looking for a HD Capture device. Attached is my current PC Specs.
Hope this helps for starters. Was thinking about this item but want to make sure I will be able to connect it to my Directv DVR.

PC Specs.doc 85.5k . file
post #3022 of 5196 Old 10-28-2008, 06:55 AM

Liked: 12
I just got this yesterday and am trying to set it up as a PVR but was wondering what the best way to go about this would be. Is the included TitanTV fine? What device do you have to set it up as, I don't see HD PVR listed under any of the pull down menus.
post #3023 of 5196 Old 10-28-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Galt View Post

I just got this yesterday and am trying to set it up as a PVR but was wondering what the best way to go about this would be. Is the included TitanTV fine? What device do you have to set it up as, I don't see HD PVR listed under any of the pull down menus.

I was just setting mine up last night, found the same issue as you - HD PVR is not listed on the TitanTV device page. However, doesn't seem to matter as long as you are setting up your scheduled recordings directly on the HTPC (meaning, not remotely). When I clicked a schedule listing to record, it would download a little file. The WinTV Scheduler would then ask me which tuner I wanted to use (I also have a Hauppauge HVR1600), then put it into the scheduler just fine.

I also want to mention how impressed I am with my new toy. For my first try, I recorded a Lenny Kravitz concert in HD and got great 5.1 surround and clear picture in Zoom Player. Glad I waited a bit to get this device.
post #3024 of 5196 Old 10-28-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcwman18 View Post

I am looking for a easy to install capture device that my system will support. Here are some details of current televison source.

Directv set top box DirecTV
5 Multi LNB Dish
Manufacturer 100
Model HR22
Software 0x290

I am looking for a HD Capture device. Attached is my current PC Specs.
Hope this helps for starters. Was thinking about this item but want to make sure I will be able to connect it to my Directv DVR.

Anyone think the device being discussed here will work for me?
post #3025 of 5196 Old 10-28-2008, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Anyone think the device being discussed here will work for me?

What software did you plan to use? If it's Windows Media Center, then no. Otherwise, yes it would work.
post #3026 of 5196 Old 10-28-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

What software did you plan to use? If it's Windows Media Center, then no. Otherwise, yes it would work.

Can I use the included software to edit and convert?

Anyone have my current directv box and explain the best way to hook it up?

What model Hauppauge should I buy?
post #3027 of 5196 Old 10-28-2008, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Can I use the included software to edit and convert?

Yes.

Quote:

Anyone have my current directv box and explain the best way to hook it up?

What model Hauppauge should I buy?

There is only one model that can capture in HD from DirecTV boxes: the HVR-1212 (HD-PVR), which is what this thread is about. You would connect it to the component video and either the SPDIF output or analog audio output of the HR22.
post #3028 of 5196 Old 10-29-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Yes.

There is only one model that can capture in HD from DirecTV boxes: the HVR-1212 (HD-PVR), which is what this thread is about. You would connect it to the component video and either the SPDIF output or analog audio output of the HR22.

Is their enough outs on my Directv box to connect the component video? I already have HD going from my sat box to my TV.
post #3029 of 5196 Old 10-29-2008, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

i dont think so... i think there is only 1...

post #3030 of 5196 Old 10-29-2008, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is their enough outs on my Directv box to connect the component video? I already have HD going from my sat box to my TV.

The HDPVR has a pass through connection, so if you have component to your tv, you just hook up the component out from the Directv to the HDPVR and then there is an out set of components on the HDPVR and you just hook them up to your TV, it's not a problem, only thing you'll need is another small set of component cables to connect the hdpvr to the tv. Same thing applies for the audio cables, depending on what kind of audio connection you have.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page