Hauppauge WinTV HD PVR (H.264) screenshot - Page 131 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #3901 of 5201 Old 02-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Super sale at dell home. $173 with coupon code B0FP12N2JW5L2L, free ship... but you have to pay "the man" tax. Anyone buy from dell lately to know what revision numbers of the Hauppauge 1212 are being shipped?

UPDATE: deal was for one day only...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 5201 Old 02-11-2009, 02:18 PM

I just rec'd mine through Dell about a week ago, and it was a D2.
post #3903 of 5201 Old 02-11-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpanogos View Post

Super sale at dell home. $173 with coupon code B0FP12N2JW5L2L, free ship... but you have to pay "the man" tax. Anyone buy from dell lately to know what revision numbers of the Hauppauge 1212 are being shipped?

Impressive, most impressive!

The lowest I think I have seen so far.

Still, I wish Hauppauge would bundle an OEM BeyondTV version with it instead of or in addition to the Arcsoft software.

post #3904 of 5201 Old 02-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpanogos View Post

There are 2 versions listed, What are the differences?
post #3905 of 5201 Old 02-12-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

do you stream your recordings or did you put it within the internal hard drive(if you installed one)

alos, did you fix the ts or m2ts files before sending it to the a100?

I streamed the recordings from a SMB share and I've played them off the internal drive.

I haven't messed with the files at all.

Jeff

Gamertag - Ktulu1

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero
post #3906 of 5201 Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldR View Post

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but my E1 needs to be power cycled almost every other time when I capture something with TME, shut down the TME, re-open it and try capturing again. A lot of times, in this particular scenario, HD-PVR will have to be rebooted (power cycled to it) in order to get the TME to recognize it again.

That's much worse than mine is right now. I hope it doesn't get worse.

Since I last cycled the power, I've done 3 two hour and 1 one and a half hour recordings with SageTV. All of them are @ 720p to a .ts file.

The thing would be damn near useless to me if I had to turn it on and off after every recording.

Jeff

Gamertag - Ktulu1

post #3907 of 5201 Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

DonaldR - try standing your HDPVR up on it's right side - with the power switch at top... see if it doesn't run a bit longer... I have a theorey and it includes the assumption that the labs at Hauppague are quite a bit cooler than the environment in the typical computer rack or media rack...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #3908 of 5201 Old 02-12-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulu_1 View Post

That's much worse than mine is right now. I hope it doesn't get worse.

Since I last cycled the power, I've done 3 two hour and 1 one and a half hour recordings with SageTV. All of them are @ 720p to a .ts file.

The thing would be damn near useless to me if I had to turn it on and off after every recording.

If I keep TME open, after my recording is done, then I can do multiple recordings, one after another, without any problems.

However, like I said, if I shut down the TME, and later I want to make a new recording, obviously I have to open the TME again, and that's where the problem is. Not every time, but pretty frequently in this scenario, I'll have to reboot my HD-PVR, because Windows is giving me a message about "the device already being in use".
post #3909 of 5201 Old 02-12-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

DonaldR - try standing your HDPVR up on it's right side - with the power switch at top... see if it doesn't run a bit longer... I have a theorey and it includes the assumption that the labs at Hauppague are quite a bit cooler than the environment in the typical computer rack or media rack...

Thanks for the advice, I can certainly try that, but somehow I'm under the impression that it is actually some kind of "miscommunication" between the HD-PVR and TME software in Windows environment. I may be completely wrong, of course.
post #3910 of 5201 Old 02-12-2009, 01:19 PM

Another thing I'm experiencing occasionally in TME's Capture Module is that, when I click on record button, the blue light will not turn on, and no recording will occur. This does not happen more often than maybe once in 7 or 8 recordings, but it can still be annoying.

The remedy for this one: I have to shut down the Capture Module (killing the process from the task manager), then open it up again, and I'm good to go.

I wonder if you guys may have experienced something like this.
post #3911 of 5201 Old 02-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This has been mentioned already, but might be worth bringing up. I still don't think it's only about heat problems. My hdpvr never runs into problems if is just capturing. But usb related keyboard/mouse/remote control operations cause way more problems. I have the MCE remote receiver, so it might be only that or maybe others as well that cause problems for the hdpvr. And while I was able to improve the situation by moving the hdpvr usb connector to an onboard usb header instead of a back pane header (where the MCE remote is connected), I still have have to restart it every now and then.
post #3912 of 5201 Old 02-12-2009, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been running 2 hdpvr's side-by-side from a scheduled batch file using rctvcap. One is a fan-in-the-top-modified C1 and the other a D2 (bought last week, when EVERY body else is receiving E1's ). One is connected to the YPbPr and AC3 loopthroughs of the other... fed from a cable box sitting on ShowtimeHD. Essentially capturing for 1hour, repeated every two hours, thus a 50-50 duty-cycle of recording/rest, 1 hour each. The boxes are scheduled 30 seconds apart to avoid usb loading issues. There seems to be no rhyme or reason... the C1 SEEMS to perform a bit better, MOST of the time it captures more consecutive recordings before locking up. BTW, the brand new D2 wouldn't pass more than 2 caps before locking up until I stood it on its side Anyway, I agree that there's more to it than heat. BTW-2, they are both on the same usb controller in device-mangler, seperate from any other usb device....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #3913 of 5201 Old 02-13-2009, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulu_1 View Post

I streamed the recordings from a SMB share and I've played them off the internal drive.

I haven't messed with the files at all.

last question... do you have cyberlink power dvd on your computer? if so, did you upgrade it?

also, the arcsoft software that came with your 1212, did you upgrade it?

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #3914 of 5201 Old 02-13-2009, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

last question... do you have cyberlink power dvd on your computer? if so, did you upgrade it?

also, the arcsoft software that came with your 1212, did you upgrade it?

No, I do not have Cyberlink DVD. I had purchased the retail version of Arcsoft Total Media Theater prior to purchasing the HD-PVR. Otherwise, the software is straight of the CD that comes from Hauppauge (with all the relevant updates).

Jeff

Gamertag - Ktulu1

post #3915 of 5201 Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 AM

Hey all.

I have the HDPVR and when I capture with ARCsoft it records as .ts and M2TS. Oddly enough, I cannot get every movie editing program to recognize the PVR's M2TS files!

So, I even called the company - specifically Sony to ask them and they said Vegas doesnt support "all" M2TS files.

Odd.

So, my question is that I have to convert these things using the Arcsoft converter but it takes forever. I converted 5 clips that were a total of maybe and hour and it Took 9 hours to convert.

Am I doing something wrong or is this typical for all of you?

Thanks

post #3916 of 5201 Old 02-13-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

BTW, the brand new D2 wouldn't pass more than 2 caps before locking up until I stood it on its side

Jimwhite, when you say that your units lock up, what exactly is happenning? Are you getting the message that "the device is already in use", so that you have to cycle power to the HD-PVR, before proceeding, or is it that the HD-PVR does not start recording (the blue light does not turn on)?

As I mentioned in my previous messages, I am seeing both of these scenarios.
post #3917 of 5201 Old 02-13-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoppa View Post

Both my recorded videos and live TV have a slight tinge of garble... you can still understand, but the audio is sort of choppy, quickly phasing in/out.

I have XP Pro SP2, HD-PVR, BTV 4.9.1, and C2 revision of the HDPVR.

Recording destination directory is on a separate physical drive from the OS drive.

I notice it also when I'm running TME, so I suppose it's not strictly BTV?

Any thoughts?

Anybody?

Do I need to install a different h.264 codec?
post #3918 of 5201 Old 02-13-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldR View Post

Jimwhite, when you say that your units lock up, what exactly is happenning? Are you getting the message that "the device is already in use", so that you have to cycle power to the HD-PVR, before proceeding, or is it that the HD-PVR does not start recording (the blue light does not turn on)?

As I mentioned in my previous messages, I am seeing both of these scenarios.

Sounds like you're using the TMT recorder... I'm using rctvcap so I don't see messages like that... just locked up units with/without the red light stuck on that require a power cycle, or sometimes an incomplete recording followed by a normal recording

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #3919 of 5201 Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

This has been mentioned already, but might be worth bringing up. I still don't think it's only about heat problems. My hdpvr never runs into problems if is just capturing. But usb related keyboard/mouse/remote control operations cause way more problems. I have the MCE remote receiver, so it might be only that or maybe others as well that cause problems for the hdpvr. And while I was able to improve the situation by moving the hdpvr usb connector to an onboard usb header instead of a back pane header (where the MCE remote is connected), I still have have to restart it every now and then.

You know that's an excellent point. I'm still having on and off again stability problems. Right now I'm experimenting by going back to analog stereo aac instead of 5.1 ac3 to see if it helps since all this started when the 5.1 drivers came out. It definitely doesn't seem to be heat or power related. I've tried two different power supplies (borrowed a friends) and it is also connected to a UPS. Behavior between my previous c1 (rma'd to be a good one and fan modded) and now my replaced e1 (with fan strapped to the bottom and on its side) has been almost identical. The only time I noticed a significant change was when I went to the shorter usb cable that was included in the box though it's still not 100% stable. So my gut has been telling me it's something to do with usb. I have a usbuirt hooked up that I use all the time so I wonder if that might be causing issues. I wonder if moving the usbuirt (or maybe the hd pvr) to a completely separate usb pci card would help. I might have to experiment with that if my analog aac stereo test fails. Right now my best guess is it's not something that would be fixed by yet another hardware swap (though I could be wrong and just extremely unlucky).
post #3920 of 5201 Old 02-13-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARogan View Post

You know that's an excellent point. I'm still having on and off again stability problems. Right now I'm experimenting by going back to analog stereo aac instead of 5.1 ac3 to see if it helps since all this started when the 5.1 drivers came out. It definitely doesn't seem to be heat or power related. I've tried two different power supplies (borrowed a friends) and it is also connected to a UPS. Behavior between my previous c1 (rma'd to be a good one and fan modded) and now my replaced e1 (with fan strapped to the bottom and on its side) has been almost identical. The only time I noticed a significant change was when I went to the shorter usb cable that was included in the box though it's still not 100% stable. So my gut has been telling me it's something to do with usb. I have a usbuirt hooked up that I use all the time so I wonder if that might be causing issues. I wonder if moving the usbuirt (or maybe the hd pvr) to a completely separate usb pci card would help. I might have to experiment with that if my analog aac stereo test fails. Right now my best guess is it's not something that would be fixed by yet another hardware swap (though I could be wrong and just extremely unlucky).

What kind of stability problems are you experiencing, I have the MCE remote and also Microsoft Wireless KB/Mouse and of course the HDPVR using the USB ports on mine. I have few if any problems if I reboot and recycle power on the HDPVR every two or three days. The only problem I have sporadically is that I have slight audio dropouts that will cause the box to stop recording for 1 or 2 seconds, before resuming, which has practically stopped happening since I started rebooting and power cycling 2 or three times a week.

What is the source? I'm using a Directv HR20-100 DVR w/optical out, and record with maxed settings on Variable Peak. I have one of the C2 units. With the exception of one occasion I have only had one complete failure of a recording in 6+ months. I'm using the USB connector that was packaged with the HDPVR.
post #3921 of 5201 Old 02-13-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

What kind of stability problems are you experiencing, I have the MCE remote and also Microsoft Wireless KB/Mouse and of course the HDPVR using the USB ports on mine. I have few if any problems if I reboot and recycle power on the HDPVR every two or three days. The only problem I have sporadically is that I have slight audio dropouts that will cause the box to stop recording for 1 or 2 seconds, before resuming, which has practically stopped happening since I started rebooting and power cycling 2 or three times a week.

What is the source? I'm using a Directv HR20-100 DVR w/optical out, and record with maxed settings on Variable Peak. I have one of the C2 units. With the exception of one occasion I have only had one complete failure of a recording in 6+ months. I'm using the USB connector that was packaged with the HDPVR.

My source is a SA 3250 HD. That's just it right there. I want to leave it on for 3 months 24/7 recording 4+hrs a day before power cycling and that was the kind of reliability I had before the 5.1 drivers. I'm just trying to get back to those stability levels. Right now I'm averaging probably around 2 weeks which to me is unacceptable. In comparison my HDHR's (I have 2) have been rock solid for like a YEAR without ever a need to power cycle.
post #3922 of 5201 Old 02-13-2009, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just got my RMA'ed unit back, it's a D2 I guess that isn't the latest batch? I don't know if it has a fan or not, I haven't gotten to test it out yet, but it weighs noticibly more than my old C1, and of course it has vents on the bottom(my C1 didn't). It also has more labels on the box(like they didn't even get time to put the labels on the C1 before they shipped them out the door)

Hopefully i'll get to try it out later this weekend.
post #3923 of 5201 Old 02-14-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Just got my RMA'ed unit back, it's a D2

Folks really need to chill out about what rev box they're getting. I've got a D2 that I've been using 24/7 (passthrough) for two months with no problems. The recordings I've made on it are fine. It's a good box...I don't care that I don't have an E1.

And if for some reason you do end up having trouble, just talk to Hauppauge. I have yet to hear someone say that Hauppauge hasn't replaced their defective box.
post #3924 of 5201 Old 02-14-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:

Have you seen this then mate?

http://blog.arogan.com/2008/06/haupp...odel-1212.html
Quote:

UPDATE: 12/09/08
- I have a new theory about some long term stability issues I've been having. It seems with 5.1 you want to use the usb cable that came with the hd pvr. Using either an extension (I was using a good one from monoprice), going through a hub, or just using another longer cable seemed to cause issues for me. I've now moved the hd pvr closer to my pc and using the original usb cable. It seems to be working much better now. So the moral of the story is use the included usb cable and plug it directly into a usb port coming off of the motherboard. Do not use extensions, other usb cables, usb hubs, or plugging into any ports on the front of the pc case.

post #3925 of 5201 Old 02-14-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavean View Post

Have you seen this then mate?

http://blog.arogan.com/2008/06/haupp...odel-1212.html

I guess you didn't realize this, but the poster is arogan, so I'd assume he's read it, since he wrote it.
post #3926 of 5201 Old 02-14-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I guess you didn't realize this, but the poster is arogan, so I'd assume he's read it, since he wrote it.

Don't know how I missed that one
post #3927 of 5201 Old 02-14-2009, 09:58 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

You know that's an excellent point. I'm still having on and off again stability problems. Right now I'm experimenting by going back to analog stereo aac instead of 5.1 ac3 to see if it helps since all this started when the 5.1 drivers came out...

I think that's a very wise approach. I have an early C1 unit (with a fan I attached as soon as I received it) that I have NEVER had lock up while using analog stereo and SageTV. I tried to capture with digital audio using the latest driver for a very short time but had lots of issues. There are several threads on the SageTV forums for increasing reliability with digital audio, but I've never got around to trying them. Now that football season is over, I plan to revisit the issue.

So get it working with analog first and then try digital...
post #3928 of 5201 Old 02-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My source is a SA 3250 HD. That's just it right there. I want to leave it on for 3 months 24/7 recording 4+hrs a day before power cycling and that was the kind of reliability I had before the 5.1 drivers. I'm just trying to get back to those stability levels. Right now I'm averaging probably around 2 weeks which to me is unacceptable. In comparison my HDHR's (I have 2) have been rock solid for like a YEAR without ever a need to power cycle.

I'm getting close to diving into obtaining the 1212 but wanted to assure myself
most of the bugs where behind. My question is a little off topic concerning the HDHR's in that researching it I was wondering how useful they are considering the only access is to free qam with these units. Is there another way to integrate the HDHR to access other than free qam?
post #3929 of 5201 Old 02-14-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post

I'm getting close to diving into obtaining the 1212 but wanted to assure myself
most of the bugs where behind. My question is a little off topic concerning the HDHR's in that researching it I was wondering how useful they are considering the only access is to free qam with these units. Is there another way to integrate the HDHR to access other than free qam?

HDHR is ATSC clear QAM only but since about 90% of the prime time TV I watch fits that it works for me. It really depends on how much premium content you watch/record.
post #3930 of 5201 Old 02-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

HDHR is ATSC clear QAM only but since about 90% of the prime time TV I watch fits that it works for me. It really depends on how much premium content you watch/record.

One last question on HDHR before getting back on topic. Doesn't it also pass clear QAM for cable as well as over the air?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page