Hauppauge WinTV HD PVR (H.264) screenshot - Page 132 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #3931 of 5201 Old 02-15-2009, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post

One last question on HDHR before getting back on topic. Doesn't it also pass clear QAM for cable as well as over the air?

Yes, it does both, I think it takes a little finagling, depending on the application to get both to work at the same time(QAM on one tuner, OTA on the other tuner), but it does support clear QAM and OTA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 5201 Old 02-15-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by railcon56 View Post

I just ordered one from Amazon $208.00 I'll let you know what Version I receive. I will be heavily relying on this thread.... Thanx

Mine came earlier this week, also from Amazon. It was a D2.

Ron
post #3933 of 5201 Old 02-16-2009, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Tobin View Post

Mine came earlier this week, also from Amazon. It was a D2.

Mine was a D2 as well... The thing is amazing tho....

post #3934 of 5201 Old 02-16-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got my D2, it's a bit more buggy than the old one(C1) I had, debating if I want to risk upgrading drivers/Arcsoft... I have been using V1.1 and the first version of TME with little/no big issues.

Now after EVERY capture I have to turn off and reset the HDPVR itself, when I go back to live TV after viewing a recording from my DVR, TME locks up until I turn off the HDPVR. Turn it back on, reload TME, works fine till I finish another capture... at least the actual capturing works OK, and the unit is much cooler than my first one, since it has the fan/vents on it.
post #3935 of 5201 Old 02-16-2009, 09:51 AM

1.053 is the latest driver, not sure why they labeled 1.1 beta driver then released it as 1.053. Might be something to try though, not sure what was changed in the beta and the released version.
post #3936 of 5201 Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

I haven't tried TME in W7 yet.

Has anyone tried Arcsoft's TME in Windows 7 (32bit) and found it to be working smoothly in terms of recording?

I don't need to view the files in Media Center, but I seem to have read something about a new plugin that works anyway.
post #3937 of 5201 Old 02-16-2009, 03:26 PM

I got one a couple days ago from Newegg. It was an E1
post #3938 of 5201 Old 02-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

What kind of stability problems are you experiencing, I have the MCE remote and also Microsoft Wireless KB/Mouse and of course the HDPVR using the USB ports on mine. I have few if any problems if I reboot and recycle power on the HDPVR every two or three days. The only problem I have sporadically is that I have slight audio dropouts that will cause the box to stop recording for 1 or 2 seconds, before resuming, which has practically stopped happening since I started rebooting and power cycling 2 or three times a week.

What is the source? I'm using a Directv HR20-100 DVR w/optical out, and record with maxed settings on Variable Peak. I have one of the C2 units. With the exception of one occasion I have only had one complete failure of a recording in 6+ months. I'm using the USB connector that was packaged with the HDPVR.

Getting back to the USB ports (since I was away for a couple of days...).
I don't really see a common nominator of the problem right now. I tried 2 different HD PVR (both C2). I had RMAd my originial unit to Newegg to check whether a new one would make any difference, but I had received a C2 back (that was about 2 months ago). Anyhow both units behaved pretty much the same way. But I also switched motherboards (trying a DFI 790GX and now a Gigabyte 780G), and again no difference. The software side doesn't make a difference either. I used rctvcap for some time, and recently bought a sage license (because I wanted better Guide integration). And I tried different bitrates (cbr/vbr) as well. All these configuration changes don't make a difference. I don't get lockups, when I leave the PC alone (=avoiding USB kdb/mouse interrupts). I can still use the PC, e.g. to watch a movie or encode videos. But as soon as I use the kdb/mouse too much (whatever that means) I risk of running into a lockup. The unit is sometimes able to recover, meaning the light goes off for a second, and comes back on right afterwards. The recording does not go out off sync using a 720P input, but I noticed problems when using 480P for SD (so right now I'm using 720P for everything).

So now I'm kind of lost how to solve the problem. Arogan mentioned maybe using a PCI USB card (and I also noticed that just using different USB headers changes the results, though it didn't eliminate the problem), which is indeed a good option, if it fixes these problems. Does anybody around here use a separate USB card, and in that case do you see lock-ups?
post #3939 of 5201 Old 02-16-2009, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

Getting back to the USB ports (since I was away for a couple of days...). Does anybody around here use a separate USB card, and in that case do you see lock-ups?

Okay, so you've used different HD-PVRs (though both Rev C2), different motherboards, and different USB headers on the motherboards, and you're still seeing HD-PVR issues that correlate to USB traffic (specifically, mouse/keyboard usage).

So, have you tried using a *different* USB mouse/keyboard? Have you checked to make sure you're using the latest drivers for your USB mouse/keyboard?

Finally, have you tried using a PS/2 mouse/keyboard (or using PS/2-to-USB adapters on your current USB mouse/keyboard)?

For what it's worth, I use a Logitech PS/2 keyboard / USB mouse combo (purchased as a set) and have no problems. I've used them in 32-bit XP (with the Logitech model-specific drivers) and in the 64-bit Win7 beta (with the Windows generic mouse/keyboard drivers).
post #3940 of 5201 Old 02-16-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post

Ok some you ask here how can I force .ts instead of .m2ts?
Well here it is frist go to
C:\\Program Files\\ArcSoft\\TotalMedia Extreme\\TotalMedia Studio MV/ find CaptureModule.ini
scroll down to [LumanateDolphin]
edit
LumanateDolphinRecordFormat0=6;M2TS
LumanateDolphinRecordFormat1=5;TS
to
LumanateDolphinRecordFormat0=5;TS
LumanateDolphinRecordFormat1=6;M2TS
Problem Fix

Fantastic!! Thanks
post #3941 of 5201 Old 02-17-2009, 12:07 AM

I know this is long but please read through if you have knowledge/opinions about what I'm trying to do....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletpole View Post

Hey I've been writing (more like complaining) about the 1212's inability to record a DTS soundtrack and instead extracts a 2.0 dolby track (primarily from bluray) for awhile now. To date there doesn't seem to be anyway known to do anything about it.....so i thought about it and came up with something a little out of the box. Would it be possible to pull a 5.1 audio track from a standard dvd of the same movie (assuming theres a 5.1 audio track on it), and remux it with the hi-def video? Has anyone tried this? I wouldn't want to do it with every movie, but some, ie. Behind Enemy Lines (2001), Flyboys (2006), Jumper (2008), just to name a few that I'm sure would sound much better in 5.1

Any ideas on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post

You can use a DVD soundtrack or re-encode the one from the Blu-Ray. Check out Eac3to, tsMuxeR, DGIndex, free software, and more info on the Doom9.org forums. There is no 1-click solution you will have to learn how to use the software and sync the new audio track to the video, and any glitches in the video will greatly complicate this process as well any differences in the video between the DVD and Blu-Ray.

Mike T

In an effort to match up 5.1 soundtracks to captures that were forced to 2.0 Dolby digital because of a DTS soundtrack that the 1212 cannot detect, I have had some successes and some failures. Out of 20 films, I have gotten approx. 10 to match up using a standard dvd's 5.1 track demuxed then remuxed with a H264 video file with time shifting to match video/audio sync. 3 or 4 just matched up evenly, which was great. 3 or 4 were adjusted through multiple time shifting efforts using tsmuxer over and over until the appropriate voice/video sync was met. 2 were matched after cutting the matched file in half, then adjusting the 1st half to match, then the 2nd half to match, then rejoined with TSCutter......those turned out great, but after alot of tweaking and time, probably an hour each.

For the other 10 that arent being so kind, I could follow the same pattern as the final 2 I spoke of before, but i really do not want to spend 10 hours doing that, so once again, I'm looking out of the box and was hoping possibly the incredible minds that work this forum will be there once again to assist, so here is my scenario......

Have been looking to buy a new dvd drive for a new computer i just put together, but have been contemplating instead buying a BLURAY dvd reader to add to my HTPC and take the dvd writer there now and add it to the new cpu. The new cpu is purely a media server I put together for access throughout my home so it doesn't neccessarily need any great dvd kit.

So here is my question.....Now if I have the BLURAY dvd drive will I be able to pull the DTS track off the original BD the same way I have been from the standard def dvd's? and if so, what software (preferrably free, tsmuxer?) could I use to do this with? Is anyone else currently doing this?

Another option would be a fairly inexpensive(less than $100) editing program that would have the ability to so call "stretch" an ac3 file when it is spot on for the first hour, but 1/4 second off by the end of the movie, which has been a common issue.

I know it may sound like I'm pushing the "perfection" envelope a bit far, but out of about 3 TB of hi def captures, only about 20 movies were ones that I really felt 5.1 would make a difference and in my full theatre, it DEFINATELY does....I have compared the 2.0 original captures to the updated 5.1 files and I can DEFINATELY tell there is a difference.....

Thanks for any input and sorry so long....
post #3942 of 5201 Old 02-17-2009, 07:12 AM

Costco had the Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 too for ~$199.99. I wonder what versions they are shipping.

Anyway, since Hauppauge has switched to the retail packaging that wasn't afforded early adopters, I have to wonder if there is a way to identify the revision from said retail packaging,.? I mean, if you have it in your hot little hands is there a code on the outside that would at least increase your chances of getting an E1,
post #3943 of 5201 Old 02-17-2009, 08:11 AM

According to GeekTonic, Hauppauge and Microsoft are working into full integration of the HD-PVR into Windows 7 Media Center :

http://www.geektonic.com/2009/02/hau...rosoft-on.html
post #3944 of 5201 Old 02-17-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavean View Post

Anyway, since Hauppauge has switched to the retail packaging that wasn't afforded early adopters, I have to wonder if there is a way to identify the revision from said retail packaging,.? I mean, if you have it in your hot little hands is there a code on the outside that would at least increase your chances of getting an E1,

There was nothing on the exterior of my D2 box that gave me any clue that there was a D2 inside.
post #3945 of 5201 Old 02-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhnke View Post

Okay, so you've used different HD-PVRs (though both Rev C2), different motherboards, and different USB headers on the motherboards, and you're still seeing HD-PVR issues that correlate to USB traffic (specifically, mouse/keyboard usage).

So, have you tried using a *different* USB mouse/keyboard? Have you checked to make sure you're using the latest drivers for your USB mouse/keyboard?

Finally, have you tried using a PS/2 mouse/keyboard (or using PS/2-to-USB adapters on your current USB mouse/keyboard)?

For what it's worth, I use a Logitech PS/2 keyboard / USB mouse combo (purchased as a set) and have no problems. I've used them in 32-bit XP (with the Logitech model-specific drivers) and in the 64-bit Win7 beta (with the Windows generic mouse/keyboard drivers).

Maybe my post above was a bit confusing, but as I'd said in the post prior to that I'm using the MCE keyboard/remote connected via the wireless MCE receiver. So I assume the problem is related to the receiver rather the keyboard or remote (because kbd or remote usage cause the hdpvr to crash at random times).
I'm not that eager to replace this keyboard, so I'm looking for other options to workaround this (like e.g a USB PCI card). On the SW side I'm running Vista x86 with the default/latest driver. Are there other driver options?
post #3946 of 5201 Old 02-17-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:

There was nothing on the exterior of my D2 box that gave me any clue that there was a D2 inside.

I didn't see anything distinguishing on my retail D2 box either. I was sort of hoping that the number on the bar code would give us some insight but I realize how unlikely that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin.r View Post

According to GeekTonic, Hauppauge and Microsoft are working into full integration of the HD-PVR into Windows 7 Media Center :

http://www.geektonic.com/2009/02/hau...rosoft-on.html

Yeah, I read that earlier today
post #3947 of 5201 Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

Maybe my post above was a bit confusing, but as I'd said in the post prior to that I'm using the MCE keyboard/remote connected via the wireless MCE receiver. So I assume the problem is related to the receiver rather the keyboard or remote (because kbd or remote usage cause the hdpvr to crash at random times).
I'm not that eager to replace this keyboard, so I'm looking for other options to workaround this (like e.g a USB PCI card). On the SW side I'm running Vista x86 with the default/latest driver. Are there other driver options?

Here's something, the HDPVR has a IR transceiver on it, I've noticed that a couple of times, I've had glitches while using my 2nd Directv DVR, it uses a different frequency or something than my other Directv DVR. There is a receiver
on the front of the HDDVR, it doesn't do anything yet, but I wonder if it might actually have some bearing on any of these issues. I have no idea, but I've had some random issues while skipping around on the 2nd DVR, that seem more than just random.

I wonder if covering the receiver on the front of the Hauppauge unit might help.
post #3948 of 5201 Old 02-17-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:

Out of 20 films, I have gotten approx. 10 to match up using a standard dvd's 5.1 track demuxed then remuxed with a H264 video file with time shifting to match video/audio sync.

DGAVCIndex.exe will demux a ripped DVD; BD; or raw .TS/.M2TS capture. Then, MeGUI will remux (using an AviSynth script) automatically calculating and shifting the audio track to sync. It'll let you remux a 5.1 DVD soundtrack with an HD rip/capture without any 'guesswork' as well. I'm doing this routinely on 64-bit Vista without any 'match-up' issues.
post #3949 of 5201 Old 02-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Here's something, the HDPVR has a IR transceiver on it, I've noticed that a couple of times, I've had glitches while using my 2nd Directv DVR, it uses a different frequency or something than my other Directv DVR. There is a receiver
on the front of the HDDVR, it doesn't do anything yet, but I wonder if it might actually have some bearing on any of these issues. I have no idea, but I've had some random issues while skipping around on the 2nd DVR, that seem more than just random.

I wonder if covering the receiver on the front of the Hauppauge unit might help.

Success! It really looks like that the IR receiver of the hdpvr causes these problems. It's covered now and the device works flawless. It's obviously not a complete test yet, but the hdpvr hasn't locked up since I covered it, and I've intentionally used the keyboard/remote a lot.

So it seems to be the best to put the unit out of sight of any IR devices.

Thanks much for the tip!
post #3950 of 5201 Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I know this is long but please read through if you have knowledge/opinions about what I'm trying to do....

In an effort to match up 5.1 soundtracks to captures that were forced to 2.0 Dolby digital because of a DTS soundtrack that the 1212 cannot detect, I have had some successes and some failures. Out of 20 films, I have gotten approx. 10 to match up using a standard dvd's 5.1 track demuxed then remuxed with a H264 video file with time shifting to match video/audio sync. 3 or 4 just matched up evenly, which was great. 3 or 4 were adjusted through multiple time shifting efforts using tsmuxer over and over until the appropriate voice/video sync was met. 2 were matched after cutting the matched file in half, then adjusting the 1st half to match, then the 2nd half to match, then rejoined with TSCutter......those turned out great, but after alot of tweaking and time, probably an hour each.

For the other 10 that arent being so kind, I could follow the same pattern as the final 2 I spoke of before, but i really do not want to spend 10 hours doing that, so once again, I'm looking out of the box and was hoping possibly the incredible minds that work this forum will be there once again to assist, so here is my scenario......

So here is my question.....Now if I have the BLURAY dvd drive will I be able to pull the DTS track off the original BD the same way I have been from the standard def dvd's? and if so, what software (preferrably free, tsmuxer?) could I use to do this with? Is anyone else currently doing this?

Another option would be a fairly inexpensive(less than $100) editing program that would have the ability to so call "stretch" an ac3 file when it is spot on for the first hour, but 1/4 second off by the end of the movie, which has been a common issue.

Thanks for any input and sorry so long....

Read about AnyDVD on this forum, it's not free. Get more info on audio conversion on the Doom9.org forum and the free program "Eac3to".

Eac3to can also change the frame rate for ac3 audio files as can Besweet. A good GUI for Besweet is AC3Machine use Google to find these and they are free.

Mike T
post #3951 of 5201 Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Rico66 and rebkell: well done! It is probably some dumb-ass thing like this that would only show up in actual use in a home and not in the Hauppauge laboratory. Perhaps now some poor engineer can get some sleep after constant complaints from customers, threats from the boss, and ragging from audio/visual enthusiasts like us! Let hope that this really is the answer...
post #3952 of 5201 Old 02-18-2009, 05:11 PM

Received a D2 unit from NewEgg today (2/18/09) after a Sunday order - fyi in case anyone cares.

Wes Simmons
post #3953 of 5201 Old 02-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Has anyone had issues using their ps3 as the source?
I changed the ps3 settings to component,1080 and or 720 & I get a picture worse than SD. Waves going thru it and bad color.. It also stretches it to a 4x3 format. It may just be bad ps3 cables, I'll have to buy another set..

The SPDIF is connected but I only get 2channel audio. is there a way to switch it?

What am I missing? Anyone else have these problems?
post #3954 of 5201 Old 02-22-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post

The SPDIF is connected but I only get 2channel audio. is there a way to switch it?

If you have an audio source connected to either of the red/white analog audio inputs, I think that causes problems in capturing the SPDIF stream. Make sure the SPDIF is the only audio input connected.

If you are using a recording tool that fully supports the HD PVR, you should be able select "SPDIF" as the audio source you want to record--ArcSoft TME supports this, for instance. Your recording app may show you whether the SPDIF signal it senses is 2.0 stereo or 5.1 Dolby Digital--that's simply detected; it's not a setting you can change.

One thing you could try: If your recording app shows that 2.0/5.1 status, then start playing your source, and wait for it to report a 5.1ch source before starting the recording.
post #3955 of 5201 Old 02-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you have an audio source connected to either of the red/white analog audio inputs, I think that causes problems in capturing the SPDIF stream. Make sure the SPDIF is the only audio input connected.

If you are using a recording tool that fully supports the HD PVR, you should be able select "SPDIF" as the audio source you want to record--ArcSoft TME supports this, for instance. Your recording app may show you whether the SPDIF signal it senses is 2.0 stereo or 5.1 Dolby Digital--that's simply detected; it's not a setting you can change.

One thing you could try: If your recording app shows that 2.0/5.1 status, then start playing your source, and wait for it to report a 5.1ch source before starting the recording.

SPDIF was the only thing connected, I was getting a hum thru the rca's.
I'm gonna pick up some new ps3 component cables and see what happens.
post #3956 of 5201 Old 02-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anyone had issues using their ps3 as the source?

Has anyone used the ps3 to capture from?
I see notes about the component cables that they play back movies in 480i only...
post #3957 of 5201 Old 02-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anyone used the ps3 to capture from?
I see notes about the component cables that they play back movies in 480i only...

That's only true for standard DVD's and not blue ray isn't it? Blue ray will still be high def over the component cables. To be able to do standard dvd's you would need the HDFury2 to output over component via the HDMI with up conversion.
post #3958 of 5201 Old 02-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugc View Post

Use h.264 TS Cutter here:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/H264TS_Cutter

It works a lot like videoredo does on mpeg files. I have been using it now for a long time, no problems. You can cut out commercials, edit start/end ect.

Best of all it's freeware.

I tried this but it won't load the m2ts files i have.
it says "Unhandled excepption has occured"

The website says "Requires .Net Framework 2.0"
How do i tell if i have that and how do i get it if not.?
post #3959 of 5201 Old 02-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried this but it won't load the m2ts files i have.
it says "Unhandled excepption has occured"

The website says "Requires .Net Framework 2.0"
How do i tell if i have that and how do i get it if not.?

Get it from Microsoft's web site. Check under contol panel>add remove programs. If it's not listed then you need to get both 1.0 and 2.0 I believe
post #3960 of 5201 Old 02-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post

That's only true for standard DVD's and not blue ray isn't it? Blue ray will still be high def over the component cables. To be able to do standard dvd's you would need the HDFury2 to output over component via the HDMI with up conversion.

The ps3 will only upconvert 480i to 1080 when using hdmi output?
If so, i thought that limitation was only for copyrighted material?
I ask because I'm trying to upconvert & capture some home made discs?

Where do i find this HDfury2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page