Hauppauge WinTV HD PVR (H.264) screenshot - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
Home Theater Computers > Hauppauge WinTV HD PVR (H.264) screenshot
verdin77's Avatar verdin77 12:17 PM 05-28-2008
I called today.... myorder number is 342.. and she told me I "might" make one of the shipments this week but no later than early next week.

cfaslave's Avatar cfaslave 01:13 PM 05-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmunkily View Post

Does anyone know whether any Linux video project has stated intentions to write drivers for this thing? I know it won't ship with drivers - but under whose umbrella (a dvb device?) does something like this fall?

I don't know of any that are ready yet except for SageTV which has a Linux version - it should work just fine.
ncinsguy's Avatar ncinsguy 01:47 PM 05-28-2008
can't wait hope they go out this week...my order # is #339XX did she say what the cut-off might be?
MichaelLAX's Avatar MichaelLAX 02:00 PM 05-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdin77 View Post

I called today.... myorder number is 342.. and she told me I "might" make one of the shipments this week but no later than early next week.

Well I'm 34228 and she told me shipping by the end of the week, but I interpret your reply that this date is slipping...

I'll believe it when my live, warm fingers are wrapped around it!?!
MichaelLAX's Avatar MichaelLAX 02:08 PM 05-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotsten View Post

Just received this email:

Thank you for your order for the HD-PVR. We know that you are anxiously awaiting delivery and we are doing everything we can to expedite shipment from our manufacturer. Unfortunately we have run into a short production delay on the plastic cases but we are expecting to ship your order by the end of the month. If they come in any sooner, they will immediately ship out to you.

We apologize for this delay. We understand your disappointment. We thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Dorothy
Hauppauge Sales Team
Direct 631-630-1302
Fax 631-434-3198

Damn: Here it finally comes and the plastic case splits apart when I opened the box!?!?!

Oops, sorry, my mistake: that's my Mac Mini getting a RAM upgrade to run Parallels/Windows XP in anticipation...
LL
vladd's Avatar vladd 02:14 PM 05-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

Damn: Here it finally comes and the plastic case splits apart when I opened the box!?!?!

Oops, sorry, my mistake: that's my Mac Mini getting a RAM upgrade to run Parallels/Windows XP in anticipation...

That was just mean.
MichaelLAX's Avatar MichaelLAX 02:16 PM 05-28-2008
I am happy to report for us AppleTV users that the v1.3 software upgrade to the ElGato Turbo.264 transcoding hardware stick now successfully transcodes the hcw_hd_pvr2_1080i_h264.ts sample to AppleTV specs. In addition, this new software update will pass-thru AC3 when present...

You can download the transcoded file from my Public Folder on my iDisk; remember the original sample file was stereo and not 5.1:

http://idisk.mac.com/MichaelLAX-Public
ftaok's Avatar ftaok 02:49 PM 05-28-2008
Quote:

I am happy to report for us AppleTV users that the v1.3 software upgrade to the ElGato Turbo.264 transcoding hardware stick now successfully transcodes the hcw_hd_pvr2_1080i_h264.ts sample to AppleTV specs. In addition, this new software update will pass-thru AC3 when present...

You can download the transcoded file from my Public Folder on my iDisk; remember the original sample file was stereo and not 5.1:

http://idisk.mac.com/MichaelLAX-Public

This is too sweet. Being a Mac user sucks sometimes when the cool cutting edge stuff is PC only.

Now that there's a solution for converting the output files of the HD-PVR for aTV use, there's nothing stopping me from getting a bunch of new toys (namely an aTV, an HD-PVR, a Turbo.264, and an elGato tuner to boot). Well, there's always the money issue, but at least it'll work.

Now I just need confirmation that my lowly PCs will be able to handle the recording duties.

ft
ftaok's Avatar ftaok 03:02 PM 05-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Some people cannot put up a dish due to trees facing the direction a dish has to point, or for some other similar reason. My apartment allows dish on parts of the building that I rent(basically just the porch/balcony), but it totally faces the wrong direction so I cannot put one up.

I'm thinking that the percentage of people that can't get satellite is probably around 20%. Then I'm guessing that the percentage of people that can't get cable is around 10%. Mixing the two (and accounting for people that can't get either), I guess that probably around 25% of the population/households have only one (or none) provider. But like I said, I'm just guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I did not think about the satellite providers - completely slipped my find!

FiOS will soon be in my area. Which of these providers do you use, I am curious about the FiOS.

I use Comcast, but I only subscribe to Total Basic (Limited + Expanded). I have some QAM devices, so I get the local HDs and a couple of digital channels.

Verizon has been available for about 4 months now, even though they dug up my yard about a year ago or so. I would switch over to Verizon, but their prices aren't significantly better than Comcast, plus I'd need to rent a box for every TV, which eats into the savings. Right now, I'm happy with Comcast. I'm thinking of taking them up on a TriplePlay, but we're not watching much TV these days because we just had a baby (to go along with the 2 year old).

As for satellite, I never considered them since it cost more (keeping in mind that I'd have to pay more for Internet) and at the time, I would need two cables coming up to the family room. Plus the whole "box at each TV" deal.

ft
Hoooar's Avatar Hoooar 03:43 PM 05-28-2008
So, will this allow me to take component out of my cable box and put it into my computer or what, cause that would be awsome to be able to watch live HDTV (including HBO) all on my HTPC. Then i will have offically defeated the Input button on the TV remote.
vladd's Avatar vladd 03:54 PM 05-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooar View Post

So, will this allow me to take component out of my cable box and put it into my computer or what, cause that would be awsome to be able to watch live HDTV (including HBO) all on my HTPC. Then i will have offically defeated the Input button on the TV remote.

Yes.
dsinger's Avatar dsinger 03:54 PM 05-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokwokabc View Post

You can find samples with a google search.

ftp://ftp.shspvr.com/download/moive_..._1080i_h264.ts
ftp://ftp.shspvr.com/download/moive_..._1080i_h264.ts

They are mpeg transport streams with h.264 video (with PAFF and MBAFF) and AC3 audio.

Thanks for posting these. Downloaded the 1st one last week and finally got around to trying it on the PS3. Girls picture looked fine at 7-8 mbps but 3 stutters in 9 seconds and PS3 says there is no audio. Played back using Nero 8 as media server to PS3. Assuming HD-PVR produces good PQ and 5.1 audio it still may be a struggle to get good playback. Damn PS3 and Fat32 file format requirement for external HDs!
jtack's Avatar jtack 03:59 PM 05-28-2008
Those wondering, like I was, whether the eventual AC3 support will involve reencoding an incoming AC3 or simply remultiplexing it with the encoded h264 video will be happy to know that it will not be reencoded.

I emailed Hauppauge:

Quote:

I understand that the initial release will not support input of AC3 (it requires PCM), but that this (quite significant) restriction will be eventually overcome with updated firmware and/or drivers.

What I'm particularly interested in knowing is, once the updated drivers are released to support AC3 input, if the AC3 input will be reencoded, or if the original stream will be multiplexed with the encoded h264 video.

Hauppauge replied:

Quote:

According to the engineering staff, AC3 (when supported) will stay it's it original form and be multiplexed into the video adding time stamps to sync it up.

Hoooar's Avatar Hoooar 04:02 PM 05-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Yes.

Sweet finally, looking at the page, it just seems that it is USB, is that right?
jakep_82's Avatar jakep_82 05:21 PM 05-28-2008
Quote:

Sweet finally, looking at the page, it just seems that it is USB, is that right?

Read much? It's not hard to find the answer to this question on your own.
verdin77's Avatar verdin77 06:50 PM 05-28-2008
Quote:

Well I'm 34228 and she told me shipping by the end of the week, but I interpret your reply that this date is slipping...

I'll believe it when my live, warm fingers are wrapped around it!?!

It was more like my order was just far enough down the line that it is on the cusp of being shipped this week. It didn't sound like she said things were slipping.... though she did mention that memorial day slowed them down some. Boy that holiday was sure unexpected. One thing for sure is that it's great to talk to a real live person and get a real live answer.
proudgeek's Avatar proudgeek 07:45 PM 05-28-2008
339xx here and was told by vinnie yesterday that it will ship out this week
VideoGrabber's Avatar VideoGrabber 11:42 PM 05-28-2008
jake asked:
> Did you guys ask Hauppauge about shipping, or did they just send you an email? I ordered within hours after the pre-order page went up and have an order number starting with 338. I've not received anything regarding my order other than the initial confirmation more than 7 weeks ago. I would assume I'm near the front of the line. <<br />
Same situation here. Same day. Mine was 338xx, and I've heard nothing. But I didn't inquire, so if you're antsy (and who amongst us is not? ), I'd give them a call or e-mail. Maybe you could get a tracking # that way, or at least find out what carrier they're shipping with.

- Tim

P.S. I assume "shipping this week" means they'll all be going out on the truck at 5pm, Friday.
cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 06:00 AM 05-29-2008
Quote:

Maybe. It depends on your OS and Front End. Sure, you can hook it up and plug it in, but you might not be able to view the output.
ak3883's Avatar ak3883 10:04 AM 05-29-2008
I emailed them Tuesday evening, surprisingly I haven't gotten a response back yet. Hopefully I get shipped out next week, I'm #343xx. I recall being told when it ships I would get a "Quantum Notice", which is a UPS tracking email, so I'm pretty sure they will be shipping UPS ground. Great for me, ground shipping should only take 1 day from NYC/Long Island to Philly!
jpoet's Avatar jpoet 10:22 AM 05-29-2008
Hauppauge says mine will ship early next week. Order # 345xx

John
replayrob's Avatar replayrob 12:16 PM 05-29-2008
I'm in the 338xx group, just checked my checking account online and it hasn't been charged to my debit card yet.
I'd be amazed if it actually shipped by the end of this week. Wonder where it's being shipped from? I'm less then 10 miles away from their US headquarters in Hauppauge, NY... maybe I can shoot over and pick mine up at the "will call" window
jimwhite's Avatar jimwhite 12:49 PM 05-29-2008
Nearly had a heart attack a few minutes ago when I opened my e-mail and saw one from Quantum !!! But, alas, it was for some esata cables I ordered

My number is 334xx... something

Jim
iamlindoro's Avatar iamlindoro 03:32 PM 05-29-2008
I just received my shipping number for the HD-PVR. My order number was 33750. I paid for two-day and expect it Monday.
MichaelLAX's Avatar MichaelLAX 03:35 PM 05-29-2008
My notice came in at 1:30pm PDT; an hour ago: order number 34228
vladd's Avatar vladd 03:57 PM 05-29-2008
Got my notification at the same time. Order #33731
mcwups1's Avatar mcwups1 06:32 PM 05-29-2008

I haven't heard a thing yet.

I was wanting to get this straight....

I will be able to transfer HD video from my SA8300 to my computer by just using component cables....right?

If so....I can't wait!
wokwokabc's Avatar wokwokabc 06:59 PM 05-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwups1 View Post

I will be able to transfer HD video from my SA8300 to my computer by just using component cables....right?

That's the idea. We'll find out how well it works soon.

Unless by "transfer" you mean copy the cable company's MPEG transport stream exactly as it is from the cable box to the computer. It doesn't do that.
Carterhawk's Avatar Carterhawk 01:43 AM 05-30-2008
If anyone who has receiving or will soon be receiving this awesome piece of hardware could let me know if WinTV6 will work with it for plain tv and hdtv watching (ie, using the hd-pvr purely for passthrough of the component video to the wintv program) I would be very grateful. Since WinTV6 already works with all the other HD capable devices hauppage sells, I'm hopeful it can just treat the HD-PVR as another video source and display a full and glorious HD picture with no trouble.
KCZT's Avatar KCZT 07:58 AM 05-30-2008
My order # was 337xx. Got mine this morning via UPS here at the office. Can't wait to go home and play with it...
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop