Hauppauge WinTV HD PVR (H.264) screenshot - Page 169 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5041 of 5196 Old 06-01-2010, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yup, i just saw plain white box hd pvr unboxing on youtube and i think the one i got is the latest one that's why there is no unboxing of this new box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 5196 Old 06-02-2010, 11:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiduspk View Post

not sure, i'm going to ask my brother to look for those numbers.

i was expecting this box.

Same Box I got.
post #5043 of 5196 Old 06-02-2010, 02:10 PM

it means that most HD PVR users got same grey box, if anyone got red and white box then let me know.
post #5044 of 5196 Old 06-03-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Correct, PS3 does not handle mkvs, you need to use a transcoding program such as PS3MediaServer or TVersity.

Then I might be ok as TVersity is all I ever use. I have no experience with mkv's. Is it a good way to go? reliable on PS3? What program to convert? And how much space would I expect to gain from a 4 gig 720p 5.1 DD file?

Thanks again for the great input
post #5045 of 5196 Old 06-03-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletpole View Post

Then I might be ok as TVersity is all I ever use. I have no experience with mkv's. Is it a good way to go? reliable on PS3? What program to convert? And how much space would I expect to gain from a 4 gig 720p 5.1 DD file?

Thanks again for the great input

If you want to play mkv's on a PS3 directly (via disc/USB drive), you need to convert with either TSMuxer (preferred) or mkv2vob. mkv's do not play unconverted on the PS3 (directly as opposed to streaming).

I'll second Sumarai's suggestion on videoredo for editing H.264 files. One note however (and I got the solution from their forum): my EDITED HD-PVR files (using Videoredo) tended to "flash" a bit when played back through the PS3 (though not on my laptop or desktop). I run the file through TSMuxer (ts file in, ts file out - takes a minute or two for a 30-minute file), and the file is fixed!
post #5046 of 5196 Old 06-03-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
That suggests they have a muxing bug to find and squash. I always use PDVD10 or 7MC for playback of my files these days so I've not run into any issue. The MKV container is slightly more efficient than TS or M2TS. Figure on saving maybe 4% or less on space. However, then, as mentioned, you've got the on the fly or other types of transcoding to do in order to play it on the PS3. Transversity is going to transcode on the fly. I'm not sure if you'll find the space savings (minimal that they are) worth the trouble.
post #5047 of 5196 Old 06-04-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

That suggests they have a muxing bug to find and squash. I always use PDVD10 or 7MC for playback of my files these days so I've not run into any issue. The MKV container is slightly more efficient than TS or M2TS. Figure on saving maybe 4% or less on space. However, then, as mentioned, you've got the on the fly or other types of transcoding to do in order to play it on the PS3. Transversity is going to transcode on the fly. I'm not sure if you'll find the space savings (minimal that they are) worth the trouble.

Thanks for the info ... the streaming/transcoding mkv files for me is more trouble than it's worth. I'll just keep investing in 2TB external drives!

Videoredo has been a godsend - easy to use and perfect edits (other than the mux issue for ps3 but no big deal). I now need to get good at MultiAVCHD (not so user friendly IMHO, especially for menus and chaptering). Maybe I just need practice.
post #5048 of 5196 Old 06-04-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

The only other thing I can think of is try dropping the bitrate a bit and see if the space savings vs quality is acceptable. For my archived tv shows I'm running them at 3300 which works well for me. You could try less and see if the quality goes too far outside the acceptable range.

As for videoredo, I agree. I was lucky enough to be part of the alpha program for it and provided them with a lot of REALLY screwed up HD PVR recordings. They kept tweaking it to handle each new problem I threw at them so it's really quite stable now. I love it! (And my recordings were *REALLY* messed up. To the point where I ended up replacing both the HD PVR and my cable box in order to mostly fix the issues I was having) They did an awesome job. And they continue to improve it.

As for MultAVCHD, I've yet to really dig into that either. It's on my list of things to do, but, I just haven't gotten to it yet. I believe at some point in the future VRD plans on adding AVCHD output. Won't that be sweet!
post #5049 of 5196 Old 06-04-2010, 11:21 PM

Hey I just wanted to ask you guys about this Hauppauge model, I have just built a media pc and purchased the Asus MY CINEMA-EHC3-150 tv tuner card. I just realized my Comcast box has no coax out to connect to the card and am thinking of going with this external box. I understand its not going to have the same abilities of a card like time stamping but is this a viable way to go instead of a card?

I really wanted the abilities of the cards but without a coax out I dont see how anything would work. What are the down sides to going with this box over a card? I already understand all the benefits like the HD recording and such.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been researching all my options for days now and need to finish this endeavor.

Thanks.
post #5050 of 5196 Old 06-06-2010, 04:24 PM

is it possible to reduce the file size without loosing quality for youtube?

I want to upload some gameplay footage at 720p but it takes huge amount of size and it's not possible for me to upload more than 40 or 50mb file on youtube because of slow uploading speed.
post #5051 of 5196 Old 06-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinsguy View Post

i'm a longtime HDPVR owner and i'm trying something new with my files. I'm trying to get my files to play on my 360. i'm using My Movies and everything works except playing the file. 360 tells me i need the correct codec to play this file. i'm trying to play my .ts files made by me hdpvr. help pls.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...n_xbox_360.cfm
post #5052 of 5196 Old 06-06-2010, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmatt77 View Post

Hey I just wanted to ask you guys about this Hauppauge model, I have just built a media pc and purchased the Asus MY CINEMA-EHC3-150 tv tuner card. I just realized my Comcast box has no coax out to connect to the card and am thinking of going with this external box. I understand its not going to have the same abilities of a card like time stamping but is this a viable way to go instead of a card?

I really wanted the abilities of the cards but without a coax out I dont see how anything would work.

You could easily split the signal that enters the existing Comcast box such that half goes to the TV tuner card and the other half to the Comcast box. Comcast (or Radio Shack) can provide you with these inexpensive RF splitters and to the best of my knowledge they won't charge you an additional monthly fee unless your TV tuner uses a "cable card" in which case there may be a small fee.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #5053 of 5196 Old 06-07-2010, 07:13 AM

I notice that the warranty period for this unit is 2 years. If the unit fails after that, is repair available from Hauppauge at a reasonable price, or must one at that point purchase a new unit if he wants to continue using a 1212?
post #5054 of 5196 Old 06-08-2010, 04:22 PM

Anyone notice that they changed the layout of the Hauppauge HD PVR support page to include what looks like a new tab that says the following:

HD PVR for Windows Media Center

It's not populated with anything yet but it's there.
post #5055 of 5196 Old 06-08-2010, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not seeing that. I still see the tabs for 360 and PS3 that were recently added but nothing else. I go there every couple days to see if the 7MC driver has been released yet. Now you got my hopes up. Darn you!
post #5056 of 5196 Old 06-08-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:

I'm not seeing that. I still see the tabs for 360 and PS3 that were recently added but nothing else. I go there every couple days to see if the 7MC driver has been released yet. Now you got my hopes up. Darn you!

What browser are you using? Maybe the page is being cached for you?

Anyway, I cut and pasted the text directly from the Hauppauge support page so what I am seeing and what I posted are the same. Basically it looks like a bunch of tabs and the HD PVR and the Xbox 360 and HD PVR and the PS3 tabs are now in a second row below Driver and application, Accessories, Beta, 3rd Party, Manuals, FAQ and the new HD PVR for Windows Media Center.

Unfortunately the new addition is completely blank.

I expected the new Windows 7 Media Center capable driver to show up under beta if at all and I also expected them to update the FAQ but nothing so far.

Anyway, maybe I can post a screenshot.
post #5057 of 5196 Old 06-08-2010, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Cleared the browser cache and reloaded it and I now see what you're seeing. Really, they need to stop teasing me darnit!
post #5058 of 5196 Old 06-08-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Cleared the browser cache and reloaded it and I now see what you're seeing. Really, they need to stop teasing me darnit!

Talk about teasing, did you see this with respect to the Windows 7 Media Center for Hauppauge HD PVR driver?

http://www.missingremote.com/index.p...=4939&Itemid=1
post #5059 of 5196 Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

post #5060 of 5196 Old 06-08-2010, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't wait. I really want to test it out. I'm wondering if it'll work ok with my 1950 already on the same box. I've never tried multiple tuners in 7MC. I hope it works.
post #5061 of 5196 Old 06-09-2010, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

post #5062 of 5196 Old 06-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post

Well then keep eye out on this link do you see the new "HD PVR for Windows Media Center" tab is present.

Looks like it has been released. Downloading it now.

-----------------------------------------
HD PVR support for Windows Media Center
The HD PVR support for Windows Media Center allows you to use the HD PVR to watch, pause and record high definition TV under Windows 7 Media Center from a cable TV or satellite set top box. It operates in a similar way as other Hauppauge TV tuners for Windows Media Center, but the HD PVR records in high definition using H.264 encoding.

Release and installation notes
Click here for the installation and release notes.

Installation package
Click here for the complete installation package.

Size: 13.7MB
Date: June 4, 2010

------------------------------------------------------------
post #5063 of 5196 Old 06-09-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Sweet! Grabbing it now.
post #5064 of 5196 Old 06-09-2010, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Alright. I got it installed on both my HTPC's and it seems to be configured. My only issue is I lost the IR blasters for both my HD PVR's. I'll have to hunt them down. Not that I mind too much as I tend to make sure I'm on the right channel on the box anyway. This will be a very interesting experiment.
post #5065 of 5196 Old 06-09-2010, 04:19 PM

Mmmm, been looking at this for a while, hoping for WMC support. I just have 2 questions:
1. The release notes say it doesn't work with Dish EPG. I would think it would use the WMC guide, how would Dish's EPG come into play? Maybe the box doesn't understand 4 digit numbers? (Dish has the HD mirrored to the 9000 numbers)
2. Do you have to use their blaster? I hear that's a problem, and I have my Microsoft remote blasters working just fine.
post #5066 of 5196 Old 06-09-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not currently using the IR blaster on my machines. I've just manually set the channel. Both of them "should" start recording in about 10 minutes so we'll see. They're connected to motorola cable boxes. It was able to grab my channel lineup no problem so that was nice. I have 3 tests going on...I want see if each HD PVR records properly so that's 2 of my tests. However, on my bedroom box I have a 950q attached, as well, so I want to see if it knows how to record off both devices at the same time. HAHAHAHA. Yea, I'm a masochist.
post #5067 of 5196 Old 06-09-2010, 04:58 PM

Glad to see these drivers are finally out!

I haven't had the chance to really go over the documentation well or install the driver yet but I hope to get to it soon. Yeah my first question would be if we have to use the Hauppauge IR receiver, IR blaster and proprietary Hauppauge remote,!?!

I'm starting to think that maybe we do since the device is seen as a digital tuner by Media Center. Using the native Microsoft USB reciever for the native remote and IR blaster would be logical for analog sources,..
post #5068 of 5196 Old 06-09-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Again, I have the IR software installed but I don't have the blaster hardware hooked up. 7MC doesn't seem to care which rocks. Just tune it however you want. It didn't give me an option to set up the 7MC blaster but it might if I went into manual setup mode.

In any case, my experiment is so far working!! Both boxes lit up right on queue. And the best part is my 950q is also recording simultaneously!! HOLY SNIKES! This is very exciting!! BTW, setup was a BREEZE. It's REALLY easy. Well done for a first beta! We'll see how the recordings come out later. HOPEFULLY I can use Show Analyzer and VRD to rip the commercials as I do for my 950q recordings. This is amazing!!
post #5069 of 5196 Old 06-09-2010, 05:15 PM

Anyone know if the Hauppauge HD PVR Windows 7 Media Center recordings are DRMed up the whazoo with the beta driver?
post #5070 of 5196 Old 06-09-2010, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't know yet, but, I seriously doubt it. I won't know for another hour and 45 or so when they finish.

EDIT: SA seems to be dealing with them just fine so I can only assume there's no DRM involved. Oh man this is really really sweet!!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page