Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
P4-3.4ghz (hyperthreading on). Single core CPU
2gb DDR800.
ATI x1950pro (512MB)
Tons and tons of codecs/etc loaded.

Plays high bitrate about 90% in WMP - seems a tiny bit slow and drops a couple frames, but overall watchable.

Plays med OK, a bit less of the "slow" effect.

Plays low bitrate perfectly.

VLC chokes on all 3.

Zoom player chokes on all 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZT View Post

Just got off the phone with support at Hauppauge. They RMA'd the unit and are going to send me out a new (tested) one.

Good that they're sending you a new one so fast.... not good that your brand new unit was faulty right out of the box.
My unit is scheduled to arrive today via UPS, funny thing- I have to drive right past their headquarters in Hauppauge this afternoon on a service call. If my unit turns out faulty- they'll be seeing me up close and personal real soon

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #633 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Credit card got hit this morning, so mine should be shipping today, and I'm in Philly so I should(*crosses fingers*) have it tomorrow.

The sample clips played just fine for me. I have a beast of a machine I built last summer, probably limited by XP PRO 32bit. Athlon 64 x2 5600+ 2GB, 7600GT.

My CPU usage hovered in the 30% range for the H.264 samples. Full HD resolution MPEG2 files only demand single digit %s.

I'll try to get some samples up and certainly will report my findings, mine had better record longer than a few minutes before locking up...
post #634 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf08 View Post

Those samples looked pretty good! Now, if one were to order two of them to simultaneously watch and record two programs, one would also need two STB's, correct?

And two computers. Elsewhere Haup. have made it clear that "initially" you will not be able to connect two of them to one PC, because of issues with the scheduler and bgrecorder; in an email to me, they clarified that, to say that the "just one" rule extends to other Hauppauge devices, in particular I cannot expect to record successfully if I connect a HDPVR and a HVR-1950 to the same PC.
post #635 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let me say this. My experience is Athlon X64 3800+ (single core) hovers around 100% CPU usage. My daulcore 4200+ is anywhere between 48 and 54% CPU usage. It's certainly more that I thought it would be. I thought my 3800+ would be sufficient...maybe not.

Is there any way to disable or hide the video preview window while you are recording, so that you minimize the CPU usage?
post #636 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

... Digitizing H.264 in realtime will be the real test.

You mean the HD analog to digital conversion and encoding as H.264? "Nobody" has a PC that can do that in real time, it is done by an Ambarella chip in the HDPVR. Some of the responses from Haup. to various questions have suggested that they just might be muxing the audio and video on the PC.
post #637 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci View Post

Is there any way to disable or hide the video preview window while you are recording, so that you minimize the CPU usage?

I didn't see a way to hide it but you can shrink it to a smaller pre-determined size. Itr says somewhere in the docs that you should not judge the recording by the way it looks in the preview. Something about it being down-'rez'd' to save on resources.
post #638 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

KCZT...
Can you edit out commercials and such?
Thanks- Rob

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #639 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom View Post

And two computers. Elsewhere Haup. have made it clear that "initially" you will not be able to connect two of them to one PC, because of issues with the scheduler and bgrecorder; in an email to me, they clarified that, to say that the "just one" rule extends to other Hauppauge devices, in particular I cannot expect to record successfully if I connect a HDPVR and a HVR-1950 to the same PC.

That's standard for about everything Hauppauge sells. Their applications only support the first device they see, thus you can only record one thing at a time (note how they don't include any SW with the dual-tuner products). However their drivers work with multiple devices in a system, so 3rd party software (which is smarter than the bundled apps) has no trouble using multiple hauppauge devices.

I assume/hope this is the case with the HD PVR as well.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #640 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't see a way to hide it but you can shrink it to a smaller pre-determined size.

If you shrink it, is there less CPU usage?

Or can you minimize the Arcsoft Capture Module to the taskbar? In other words, can you hide the application entirely? Does that reduce CPU usage?
post #641 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Not being much of a Windows user, how do you check the CPU usage?
post #642 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

KCZT...
Can you edit out commercials and such?
Thanks- Rob

I didn't get to play with the app too much because I was trying to get the hardware working. I'm not sure if that was one of the features they boasted or not. It's not an easy thing apparently to edit h264 in that way. I'm waiting for VideoReDo to come out with their version of the commercial editor. They have one out for MPEG video that I have and works very well and I know they're working on a version for h264.

Jack
post #643 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Van Nuys,
Ca, Us 06/02/2008 6:46 A.m. Out For Delivery

06/02/2008 5:45 A.m. Arrival Scan

Ontario,
Ca, Us 06/02/2008 4:27 A.m. Departure Scan
post #644 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

Not being much of a Windows user, how do you check the CPU usage?

Hit Alt+Ctrl+Del to bring up task manager. Switch to the Performance tab.

If the new software is anything like Hauppauge's WinTV 6 or WinTV2000 you can press the pause button while recording to pause the display. It doesn't pause the recording, only the decompression of the sound and video for display. This brings CPU usage down to almost nothing since all the program is doing is receiving data from the device and saving it in a file.
post #645 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wokwokabc View Post

Hit Alt+Ctrl+Del to bring up task manager. Switch to the Performance tab.

If the new software is anything like Hauppauge's WinTV 6 or WinTV2000 you can press the pause button while recording to pause the display. It doesn't pause the recording, only the decompression of the sound and video for display. This brings CPU usage down to almost nothing since all the program is doing is receiving data from the device and saving it in a file.

Thanks for the CPU usage info and nice tip: Hope it works!
post #646 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't get to play with the app too much because I was trying to get the hardware working. I'm not sure if that was one of the features they boasted or not. It's not an easy thing apparently to edit h264 in that way. I'm waiting for VideoReDo to come out with their version of the commercial editor. They have one out for MPEG video that I have and works very well and I know they're working on a version for h264.
Jack

Thanks Jack,
I'm hoping for a rudimentary h264 editor to cut commercials out of some of my TV series recordings from satellite STB .TS files once the HD-PVR captures them to the computer.
VideoRedo has been working on and off on a h264 editor for a few years now (search their forum). A few months back I questioned one of their employees about it, and from the tone of his PM back to me... it seemed to be something that's not close to being even beta yet. The issue/problem was the complex way I & P frames are handled in h264 as opposed to mpeg2.
-Rob

post #647 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

QuickTime Pro on my Mac will edit H.264, but it will not open the samples. Same for MPEG Streamclip; which opens the file but no usable information shown. I'll try the Windows versions later...
post #648 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Ulead Videostudio Plus 11.5 should be able to edit and export H.264. My Canon Vixia HF10 files play/edit fine with it. Its not a pro editor or anything but does the job ok.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #649 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws View Post

Ulead Videostudio Plus 11.5 should be able to edit and export H.264. My Canon Vixia HF10 files play/edit fine with it. Its not a pro editor or anything but does the job ok.

Thanks Sclaws...
If there's no editor included from Hauppauge, I'll give VideoStudio Plus (30 day free trial) a shot.

post #650 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

If Hauppauge includes an editor let's hope it's better than the Nanopeg editor that shipped with the earlier PVR cards.
post #651 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 02:26 PM

i asked dorothy today when mine might be sent (i am order 34716)she replied that it would be shipped tomorrow.no cc hit yet though.
post #652 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 03:09 PM

Me too.. Does anyone know if the 2-day air requires a signature.. and if so, does it require a signature in person?

Thanks,
MS
post #653 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschult298 View Post

i asked dorothy today when mine might be sent (i am order 34716)she replied that it would be shipped tomorrow.no cc hit yet though.

Thank you. I have 34715!
post #654 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewdogg10 View Post

Me too.. Does anyone know if the 2-day air requires a signature.. and if so, does it require a signature in person?

Thanks,
MS

My experience with UPS is to be safe that it is not needed you should have the sender specify on the package that a signature is not required. OTOH, my local UPS folks know they will get a very nasty phone call if I ever again find a yellow sticker on my door.
post #655 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:

... I cannot record more than about 4 minutes of video before the unit locks up the TotalMedia application. The record time seems to be random before it hangs but never longer than 5 min. usually much less. ...
Jack

Mine arrived at 10:00AM, and I was at the front door to greet the UPS driver. I had to wait for TV repair guys to leave, then I started installing this thing. I found a number of quirks, but the key thing is, my unit has ~the same problem. Whether in capture or preview, it freezes and mutes after a short time. For me as short as 5 seconds and as long as 90. That's with HD component video in at 1080i or 720p, analog stereo, and loopthrough, with the optical i/o both disconnected. And I got the same result with Vista running on a shiny new 3GHz E8400 machine, and XP SP2 running on an older Athlon test machine. And reducing the data rate had no apparent effect on the problem. I believe my unit is defective hardware, but am waiting for the tech support rep I got on the phone to "talk to engineering" and call me back.

Video quality I can't speak to, because the repair on my 52XBR4 did not fix the TV's problem, so everything looks like crap anyway. Making me zero-for-two on the day.

Also, the IR blaster does not work at all. My cable box is a plain vanilla Moto DCT6200, which is in their list of supported devices. I picked it - but although the blaster flashes it does not affect the device. I tried the learn process, and it said "success", but no joy.

With my Vista desktop configured for 120DPI fonts, the scheduler window is not big enough to show all the controls and it is not resizable. You can't see the buttons, and it won't honor ESC, and it's modal, so the only way out is to kill the process. And reconfig the desktop to 96DPI.

With the optical output connected it actually "looped" the analog input to the digital {optical, audio} output (!), but in that condition it would not succeed at all at preview or capture. (I cannot find an option that will give me 2 channel PCM on the 6200s optical output, so I had to disconnect it from the HDPVRs optical audio input. I sure thought there was one, but...).

With the composite (yuck!) video input it previewed for 4+ minutes before I got bored with it.

The Arcsoft player crashes on every attempt to open it on XP. I guess I knew that already, since I tried their trial version a couple of weeks ago on a different XP box, and it crashed on every attempt to do anything.

I really want this thing to work. But so far it looks like pre-beta quality to me.
post #656 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 03:21 PM

Probably won't be able to do much with it today given other commitments... but at least it's here.
post #657 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 03:27 PM

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. This is very important to buyers (like myself) who are waiting for our units to come in, as well as any perspective buyers out there.

Quote:

Whether in capture or preview, it freezes and mutes after a short time. For me as short as 5 seconds and as long as 90. That's with HD component video in at 1080i or 720p, analog stereo, and loopthrough, with the optical i/o both disconnected.

This is not good. Any other owners experiencing failures while capturing the video feeds?

Quote:

With the optical output connected it actually "looped" the analog input to the digital output (!), but in that condition it would not succeed at all at preview or capture. (I cannot find an option that will give me 2 channel PCM on the 6200s optical output, so I had to disconnect it from the HDPVRs optical audio input. I sure thought there was one, but...).

Question: What do you mean by "looping the analog input to the digital output"? Are you referring to video or audio? Thanks.

"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said: 'I drank what?' " - Real Genius, 1985
post #658 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:

... my unit has ~the same problem. Whether in capture or preview, it freezes and mutes after a short time. For me as short as 5 seconds and as long as 90...

Regarding the freezing... post in other boards are mentioning the same problem.... the consensus is an overheating issue!! Maybe that was the problem with the cases that held up shipment?
post #659 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
These early reports are not making me feel warm and fuzzy about this product. Perhaps it's too good to be true, but I'm not canceling my order (yet).
post #660 of 5196 Old 06-02-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbender9 View Post

Question: What do you mean by "looping the analog input to the digital output"? Are you referring to video or audio? Thanks.

The audio. To try that again: When the only audio inputs that I had connected were rear analog stereo, the unit did output the audio on the digital optical "loopthrough" audio output. But preview and capture did not work at all in that state.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page