AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

How are you getting HD video in MPEG-2? Don't you really mean just widescreen?

Your confused. MPEG-2 handles 1080i very well. DVHS tapes were outstanding 1080i quality and were MPEG-2.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

Wonder how it's gonna handle H.264 + AC3?

Don't know, but that's how I intend to use it too once AC3's supported.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #723 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 02:08 PM

Liked: 10
I got my unit last night but couldn't do anything with it until midnight because Sage had a busy schedule recording show until then.

Once I was able to shut down Sage I connected my cable box to the component video and analog stereo inputs, connected the passthru to my TV and the USB to the Sage server. Installed the latest drivers provided by SHS (1.3), restarted Sage and configured the device as a source.

When I tried to view a TV show all I could get was a "No Signal" error in Sage. After double checking the Sage configuration I shut it down and installed the Arcsoft SW and tried a manual capture but get nothing at all in the preview window and a "Capture Failed" error when I stop the capture. No file is created at all.

The pass-thru video show on my TV, the device is shown properly in Device Manager, the red recording light turns on when I click the Capture button in Arcsoft and goes out when I stop. Arcsoft SW sees the device OK but no actual capturing is taking place.

I talked to tech support before work this morning and they had me re-do all the troubleshooting I did last night; HWClear, reinstall both driver and Arcsoft SW, disconnect/reconnect the device, etc. etc. but then escalated the issue to an "Engineer" and will email me later or hopefully call me tonight (doubt that since I am in AZ and they will be closed before I get home)

Looks to me like it is DOA and now I just want to kill something!

S
post #724 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post

I got my unit last night but couldn't do anything with it until midnight because Sage had a busy schedule recording show until then.

Once I was able to shut down Sage I connected my cable box to the component video and analog stereo inputs, connected the passthru to my TV and the USB to the Sage server. Installed the latest drivers provided by SHS (1.3), restarted Sage and configured the device as a source.

When I tried to view a TV show all I could get was a "No Signal" error in Sage. After double checking the Sage configuration I shut it down and installed the Arcsoft SW and tried a manual capture but get nothing at all in the preview window and a "Capture Failed" error when I stop the capture. No file is created at all.

The pass-thru video show on my TV, the device is shown properly in Device Manager, the red recording light turns on when I click the Capture button in Arcsoft and goes out when I stop. Arcsoft SW sees the device OK but no actual capturing is taking place.

I talked to tech support before work this morning and they had me re-do all the troubleshooting I did last night; HWClear, reinstall both driver and Arcsoft SW, disconnect/reconnect the device, etc. etc. but then escalated the issue to an "Engineer" and will email me later or hopefully call me tonight (doubt that since I am in AZ and they will be closed before I get home)

Looks to me like it is DOA and now I just want to kill something!

S

Mine was just like that when I first tried it. If you have anything connected to either of the optical ports - in OR out - try disconnecting them both and testing again.

HTH,

-tom-

PS Don't forget to power-cycle the device to reset it.
post #725 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 02:35 PM

Unfortunately I'm only using the analog stereo RCA jacks in the rear. I've also disconnected/reconnected everything including power several times as well as uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers and SW several times.

S
post #726 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

replayrob wrote:
> All in all, my first day with the HD-PVR was a bit frustrating, <<br />
Yes, but thanks for sharing. Good info to have.

> ...it looks like you'll need a pretty powerful dual core processor to capture hi-def content with the HD-PVR. <<br />
Which is utter and complete nonsense. All the capture PC has to do is grab a piddly ~1 MB/sec stream from a USB port, simple muxing of A&V, and write it to disk. Virtually ANY decent PC should be able to handle that task. Unfortunately, if there's no way to disable the Preview (the root of most grief), we may have to wait for an alternate Capture app that's more lightweight.

- Tim

- Tim
post #727 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In what I've done, I've never seen a Video Capture Source with two output pins before (only one).

Probably one pin for the capture stream, and one for the Preview...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #728 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

My unit locked up during the day today, and the center of the bottom was quite warm Stood it on it's side and now it seems much cooler...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #729 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Probably one pin for the capture stream, and one for the Preview...

No, sorry, I should have specified, one is labeled video and the other audio.
post #730 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:

My unit locked up during the day today, and the center of the bottom was quite warm Stood it on it's side and now it seems much cooler...

I wish I'd seen that idea a couple of hours ago. Please let us know if seems to be working well (meaning, hours-long capture of HD component video with no problems) on its side...

On my unit, time-to-freeze varied from 6 seconds to 20 minutes, though only once was it longer than 90 seconds. It's on the plane back to NY, RMA'd for replacement. I'm convinced it is a hardware problem, seems like it is found on a fair number of units but not all. Hopefully the next one will work better.

I've made some complaints, but I did not even consider returning for a refund: given the quality of the vid that I did get, I'm convinced that I really want a working one.
post #731 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

Your confused. MPEG-2 handles 1080i very well. DVHS tapes were outstanding 1080i quality and were MPEG-2.

You're correct; I misunderstood his post...
post #732 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Don't know, but that's how I intend to use it too once AC3's supported.

As you may know: MP4 is not officially compatible with an AC3 audio track.

Apple recently "hacked" the container (since it was originally based upon their QuickTime MOV container) to allow it to contain both an AC3 and an AAC audio tracks (in a M4V container) for audio compatibility on their AppleTV (that is viewers with digital audio equipment can decode the AC3 track, while analog users hear the AAC stereo track.

HandBrake goes one step further and passes thru the AC3 and then decodes the AC3 track into a companion AAC Dolby ProLogic II (stereo compatible) track for those analog users who can still get a quality surround experience if they have DPLII decoding).
post #733 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post

replayrob wrote: > ...it looks like you'll need a pretty powerful dual core processor to capture hi-def content with the HD-PVR. <<br />
Which is utter and complete nonsense. All the capture PC has to do is grab a piddly ~1 MB/sec stream from a USB port, simple muxing of A&V, and write it to disk. Virtually ANY decent PC should be able to handle that task. Unfortunately, if there's no way to disable the Preview (the root of most grief), we may have to wait for an alternate Capture app that's more lightweight.

It states that it requires a 2.0 USB port, which, as you know, supports data rates up to 480 MB/sec.
post #734 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Which side?
post #735 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I received mine yesterday too, and the DirecTV guy came this morning to do the HD upgrade for me.

I played with it all afternoon!! here's a few of my initial thought......

1) it works! it did able to record ANY HD channels from my DirecTV HD box!! I've recorded two sample clips that I'm gonna upload it for you guys to see!! one is from StarzHD(?) movie channels showing Perfect Stranger, the other one is the French Open from ESPN2HD. both is about 1 mins long and weight 60-80MB when recording at 9M bitrate.

2) too bad none of the current public version of BeyondTV nor SageTV support the HD-PVR yet!! the latest street rumor is the new version that support the HD-PVR will be out in days!! however, I've tried to setup BTV to see if I can make it work..... simple answer is NO. it couldn't capture the video nor audio since it doesn't support this device yet. but by running the setup wizard, it does allow me to choose the HD-PVR as a capture device tho. just no picture nor sound.

3) at least at the moment, I can use the HD-PVR as a tuning device to tune the channel of the DirecTV HD box instead of using my old IR blaster!! it means the HD-PVR could tune the DirecTV HD box right out of the box w/out any problem.

4) the current driver does not support DD5.1 sound! when I set the DirecTV box to output DD instead of 2 channels, it just make a loud beep noise. hopefully new driver will be out w/in a couple weeks to fix this problem.... I'll see....

5a) either the driver and/or the Arcsoft software that come with the HD-PVR needs to be improved!! when just watching live HD using the Arcsoft's software, it crashed my HTPC a couple times!!! PC locked up, then needed a hard reset!

5b) and when after a recording (stopped record/capture), the pic quality will degrade A LOT!! it's like having a low signal when using a OTA HD antenna if you know what I mean!! the pic is just.... breaking up.... lots of blocks.... and shuttering.... and it ONLY happen after finished a recording!!

5c) have to restart the HD-PVR too (turn off and on) IF the HTPC was crashed while watching TV.

5d) yes, the HD-PVR does feel on the warm side for sure!

imho, it sure needs some improvement or stability upgrade. and it might be the main reason why SageTV and BeyondTV don't have an offical release to support it yet. may be they too are waiting for a more muture driver....

however, it does do what I or most people that looking for this to do, enable one to record any HD channels from the cable/sat box!!

when the BeyondTV release the offical support and/or when the driver/software is more muture/stable, I think I'll be getting one more for the other HD box so I could watch & record different channel at once.

here's the video clips:

French Open on ESPN2HD 86MB

Movie: Prefect Stranger on StarzHD(?) movie channel 65MB

p.s. it might take a little while..... (10mins+/-)

they are .TS file. many video player should have no problem to watch it. the length is about 1-1:30mins. recorded at 1920x1080 resolution, 9mb bitrate, 2 channel sound.
LL
LL
LL
post #736 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 04:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

here's the video clips:

French Open on ESPN2HD 86MB

Movie: Prefect Stranger on StarzHD(?) movie channel 65MB

they are both tennis :P
post #737 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 04:57 PM

Has anyone tried the beta HD PVR driver? The ftp link for the install is:

ftp://ftp.shspvr.com/download/wintv-...r-1.0.3.46.rar

I haven't seen a list of fixes/enhancements for this beta. I'd be interested in knowing if the Dolby Digital capture is part of it. I'll give it a try when I get home from work.

I found the link to the beta driver at http://brentevans.blogspot.com/2008/...irst-look.html

Another useful link is the Unofficial Hauppauge Products forum at
http://www.shspvr.com/smf/

There's a forum for the HD PVR but not much activity yet.
post #738 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 05:06 PM

My device seems to be working properly. You do have to press the power button on it after install to turn it off and then turn it on again - at least I did.

I have a 2.4 GHz dual core running XP with 2 GB ram. I captured a 1:35 hr file from speed HD in 720p using 10 MBps in the settings and the file is 4.3 GB. The picture quality is excellent, and I am able to use Nero to edit the file. It's a pain in the ass though. VLC plays the files fine, although when you skip ahead far, it crashes - this is fairly typical vlc behavior though, with H.264 files.

I would also like a capture utility that does not display the vid source. My CPU usage was about 25 % during capture.

That is all.
post #739 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

First impressions, I've only had an hour or so to play with it:

-Using the default 8mbps rate, I captured for 30 minutes and no lockups or problems. Capturing ESPNHD.

-My preview window is smooth as ever, during viewing and recording. Playback of the files seem to be glitch free. However, I am running on an Athlon64 X2 5600+. CPU usage is low 20's during recording. About the same during playback.

-The arcsoft player uses less CPU than using MPC with the CoreAVC codec. I'm guessing it is because there is an option in the Arcsoft Theater player for "hardware acceleration" so I think it is offloading some of the work to my video card(Nvidia 7900GT).

-I cannot get the SPDIF to work. I changed the auto output on my Moto 3416DVR to "PCM", but it still would not capture audio. A little disapointing it won't even do 2.0LPCM over the SPDIF optical input.

-Oh yea and QUALITY: It's very good. The default rate is pretty darn good. The picture overall looks a little softer than the HD source/MPEG2 stream, but it's pretty good, I'm quite impressed. I'm still investigating if the software can handle and/or I can burn DVD DL discs into that AVCHD format that you can make playable in a PS3. Only having stereo sucks ass, but for college bball games, surround sound isn't really that much.

I think a lot of the problems that others have been having are solved by my having a beast of a CPU. Now it doesn't seem like such overkill when I built it last summer, glad I went with this strong of an Athlon. If I recall it was only like $200 or something, and the 2nd fastest Athlon on the market at the time, not bad at all....

Next steps are to try recording DVHS copy-one protected material!!!
post #740 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 05:35 PM

I just installed the beta driver. No Dolby Digital 5.1 yet. However, I can now capture LPCM audio over SPDIF from my SA3250HD cable box. I wasn't able to capture any audio over the SPDIF with the original driver.
post #741 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 05:36 PM

MichaelLAX : USB2 is 480Mbps not MBps .. bit per seconds... not byte per seconds.. so at most 48MB/s.
As a comparison firewire-400 is 400Mbps or 40MB/s
Rodolphe
post #742 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Great news I know some like me were really hoping to hear:

I am thrilled to report this device CAN copy material off DVHS that is flagged as "copy-once" or "copy-never" CGMS/A is not an issue.

A quick sample recording seems to have a quick little glitch/blip in the video every few seconds, I am not sure why. I did not see this recording from my Moto DVR.
post #743 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Great news I know some like me were really hoping to hear:

I am thrilled to report this device CAN copy material off DVHS that is flagged as "copy-once" or "copy-never" CGMS/A is not an issue.

A quick sample recording seems to have a quick little glitch/blip in the video every few seconds, I am not sure why. I did not see this recording from my Moto DVR.

I never doubted this. As I mentioned before, it most likely passes it and it is up to the software to honor it or not.
post #744 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpineau View Post

MichaelLAX : USB2 is 480Mbps not MBps .. bit per seconds... not byte per seconds.. so at most 48MB/s.
As a comparison firewire-400 is 400Mbps or 40MB/s
Rodolphe

Yeah, thanks for that correction.

So VideoGrabber's reference to 1MB/s for USB in this regard is still 1 vs. 48. Still a much higher number than he was suggesting...

Which weighs more: a pound of gold or a pound of feathers?
post #745 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCoyote View Post

I just installed the beta driver. No Dolby Digital 5.1 yet. However, I can now capture LPCM audio over SPDIF from my SA3250HD cable box. I wasn't able to capture any audio over the SPDIF with the original driver.

Is the beta driver you are referring to the v1.0 driver on their Support page? If not, where did you get it? [EDIT: Oh, I missed your post above]

And being a Windows Noob, how do you install a new updated driver?
post #746 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

post #747 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCoyote View Post

hmmm.... I have no problem capturing via SPDIF from DirecTV HD box even tho it's only 2ch PCM.
post #748 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

I think a lot of the problems that others have been having are solved by my having a beast of a CPU. ...

I am certainly encouraged by the success you are reporting. And thank you.

However, I see no substantial evidence, from my own testing or anybody else's posts, that CPU speed is a factor in the problem with some units. Mine showed exactly the same problems on Vista 32/E8400 (3.0 GHz dual core, which in a quick look seems to be rated by toms hardware at about 30% to 50% faster than the 5600+) and on a lame old Athlon 2400+ at 2GHz running XP SP2. So the problems are hardware problems with some units, not "performance" problems with some PCs. So far. For the most part.

So, I suggest, don't get smug, feel lucky! (Color me green)
post #749 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Is the beta driver you are referring to the v1.0 driver on their Support page? If not, where did you get it? [EDIT: Oh, I missed your post above]

And being a Windows Noob, how do you install a new updated driver?

Just run HcwDriverInstall.exe to install the beta driver. You will need to first uncompress the downloaded RAR file before you can install the new driver. The trial version of WinRAR can be downloded from http://www.rarsoft.com/download.htm
post #750 of 5196 Old 06-03-2008, 06:19 PM

This is dam annoying, Installed fine in xp try to record with arcsoft and xp locks up hard
x2 4400+ driver 1.0 and 1.0.3

vista 32 installed fine I can capture with arcsoft
x2 4200+ driver 1.0
Playback of the files in arcsoft is using hw accel with my HIS 2600pro on the xp machine

At least I know the machine works

ELM_SD

Quality TV = C-Band
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page