Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom View Post

Please take another look at that; I'm sure you must be mistaken. It just "can't" be true that your laptop plays back H.264 with 1% utilization. And if you are capturing using arcsoft, well as many of us have noted, the arcsoft preview window is a massive cpu user, no-one else has reported it lower than about 25% that I have seen.

I can capture and preview 720p at 1%. I still can't get the preview for 1080i to come up as the screen freezes but the capture process still works and it is 1%. I triple checked.

See the attached screen capture. It shows the CPU utilization as 1% and it is recording at the time.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinsguy View Post

i created a blu-ray disk last night and it worked fine, i didn't see an option to make a regular dvd so i'll check again, thx

The default is bluray but if you go to "File -> New Project", you can select DVD.
post #813 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudgeek View Post

I can capture and preview 720p at 1%. I still can't get the preview for 1080i to come up as the screen freezes but the capture process still works and it is 1%. I triple checked.

See the attached screen capture. It shows the CPU utilization as 1% and it is recording at the time.

Not trying to nitpick, but can you click on the "Show processes from all users" checkbox in the Task Manager window to see if the system is running other processes as well?

Hm... but now that I think about it, I doubt that the system would be running any high CPU-intensive threads on behalf of the user. But try running it with that "Show processes from all users" checkbox checked. Thanks.

"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said: 'I drank what?' " - Real Genius, 1985
post #814 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbender9 View Post

Not trying to nitpick, but can you click on the "Show processes from all users" checkbox in the Task Manager window to see if the system is running other processes as well?

Hm... but now that I think about it, I doubt that the system would be running any high CPU-intensive threads on behalf of the user. But try running it with that "Show processes from all users" checkbox checked. Thanks.

No problem. Still the same The high CPU utilization can be attributed to preview decoding being done on software.

If I view the captured 720p clip using Arcsoft MediaTheater with hardware acceleration, 0 to 2% CPU utlization. If is disable hardware acceleration, it jumps to 50%. Clearly, its either the video card or the cpu doing all the work. VLC, which uses software decoding, shows 50% utilization as well.
post #815 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 04:33 PM

Mine just isn't working anymore. I got it today, and I hooked it up. Everything worked fine for a while, but now....nothing. I have no picture, and when I try to capture, when I hit "stop", it says "capture failed"....everytime.

I'm starting to get pissed.

Also, it says 1920x1080....and my STB is set at 720p. I see you guys talking like you've captured in 720p, but I don't see an option.
post #816 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwups1 View Post

Mine just isn't working anymore. I got it today, and I hooked it up. Everything worked fine for a while, but now....nothing. I have no picture, and when I try to capture, when I hit "stop", it says "capture failed"....everytime.

I'm starting to get pissed.

Also, it says 1920x1080....and my STB is set at 720p. I see you guys talking like you've captured in 720p, but I don't see an option.

Try powering it down for a half hour, then try it on its side.
Mine dies after about 2 minutes with it sitting on it's legs.
I've gotten about 20 minutes on it's side, and I'm about to
pass up that "new record" now.
post #817 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwups1 View Post

...Also, it says 1920x1080....and my STB is set at 720p. I see you guys talking like you've captured in 720p, but I don't see an option.

There isn't an option. It takes what comes at it. Maybe it sits on 1080i if it's not working... or maybe you switched your STB to 720p after it stopped working?
post #818 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 05:06 PM

Okay guys...I had tried repeatedly to restart my computer...however, it didn't work.

You were somewhat right locomo....I turned it off, and then turned it back on. Worked like a charm, and then it converted itself to the 720p setting.

I recorded the first thing I came to, and here's a screen shot after a VERY quick mp4 convert....scaled down....

post #819 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 05:10 PM

After downloading a 1080i sample clip, I've cancelled my Amazon order. For all the headeaches I've read about, the ESPN clips gave me enough to look forward to. However, those were 720p clips. The 1080i clips will not play smoothly in any of my software, and the packed-in software is reportedly no better.

There's only a handful of HD programming I really wanted to capture with this device -- most of the HD stuff is unencrypted and can be recorded via firewire, and I don't subscribe to any of the premium HD channels.

I still need to convert some VHS tapes and such, so I will now look for the best SD analog to digital converter.

Maybe one day, provided the MPAA doesn't sue Hauppauge over this, I will look into this sort of device. But it's just too bleeding edge and messy for me.
post #820 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the best SD analog to digital converter

Snazzi-V DVD Pro....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #821 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Also, it says 1920x1080....and my STB is set at 720p.

What goes in - comes out. I've used both 1080i and 720p sources, and the program dynamically changes resolutions. It even drops to 480i when using the composite in the front.

If your software says that its 1080i - than your source is 1080i, despite what your STB is telling you. Try another display device and verify that your signal is indeed 720p. Is it possible that your STB is not listening to the setting and outputting whatever it feels?
post #822 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 05:23 PM

Hmmm, mcwups - have you tried yanking out the usb cable, then reinserting? How about power cycling the box. Once I had that issue where it seemed to have stopped completely. replugging usb fixed it somehow.
post #823 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson View Post

After downloading a 1080i sample clip, I've cancelled my Amazon order. For all the headeaches I've read about, the ESPN clips gave me enough to look forward to. However, those were 720p clips. The 1080i clips will not play smoothly in any of my software, and the packed-in software is reportedly no better.

If you have a multicore CPU try using Haali Media Splitter and CoreAVC along with any DirectShow based media player like Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, etc. The only problem I have with this configuration is I can't use the seek bar. I have to watch from beginning to end.
post #824 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrandall View Post

Received mine this afternoon.

I wish I was as far along as some others. I can not figure out why when I play any DVHS tape (recorded at 1920 x 1080) the Arcsoft Capture program says the input is 720 x 420. The loop through from the Hauppage HD PVR back to my Sony Bravia KDL-26S3000 says it's 16:9 480i SD. If I plug my JVC 30K directly into the TV it's the same.

The tapes are DTheater Digital Video Essentials (1080i) and my own recordings of the Ring Trilogy that I recorded using a 169Time/4DTV setup using a 10 foot dish. During playback the display on the JVC says DVHS and HD. The recordings are quite good.

Maybe I'm having a senior moment but I can't figure it out.

You are using component cables, right? haha.

Check the menu settings on your 30k, I used one of those last night and it worked fine. Hit menu, go to function setup, go to in/out function, make sure "TV OUTPUT 1" is set to "NO CONV" and "TV OUTPUT 2" says "WIDE16:9".

My setup is a Mits 1100u connected to the 30k using firewire, then the component output of the 30k into the HD-PVR. I only tried plain L/R audio cables last night, there is a setting in the 30k's audio setting menu to output L-PCM over the optical output.
post #825 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

Well I got mine HDPVR today and upgrade my old out date GF6800 AGP to new Sapphire HD3850 AGP with new Corsair TX650W watt power supply
Bad news the dran thing is over heat with in frist few "3 min" ho man that just sinks so I pull it a apart and found that Ambarella A2 and Analog Devices ADV7401 maybe root of are problem is get so dran hot that why the it may stop working.
post #826 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudgeek View Post

Wow. Thanks for indulging my skepticism.
post #827 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

You are using component cables, right? haha.

Check the menu settings on your 30k, I used one of those last night and it worked fine. Hit menu, go to function setup, go to in/out function, make sure "TV OUTPUT 1" is set to "NO CONV" and "TV OUTPUT 2" says "WIDE16:9".

My setup is a Mits 1100u connected to the 30k using firewire, then the component output of the 30k into the HD-PVR. I only tried plain L/R audio cables last night, there is a setting in the 30k's audio setting menu to output L-PCM over the optical output.

Thank you so much. I had forgotten about that menu function though I thought I had looked everywhere. I haven't used my JVC for a couple of years. I guess it WAS a senior moment.
post #828 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

We are talking about DirectX capture graphs. DirectX / DirectShow work by "connecting" the "pins" on various "filters" to construct a "graph" that accomplishes some task, e.g. video capture or playback. They can be built manually using the graphedit tool, part of a Microsoft SDK. They can also be built in C code using Microsoft APIs, or in C# using Microsoft and/or open source interfaces. Typically you build and test one by hand in graphedit, then either save it in a file and use that in your code, or write code to connect the same sequence of filters.

Some parts of graph construction can be done automatically by Microsoft runtimes, allowing more flexibility in the code and operating environment. In that case it will try to pick filters that are willing to connect, based on flags in the windows registry that specify their "merit" and what kind of data they expect on their input pins and can provide on output pins. In addition to flexibility, this behavior is the cause of enormous grief, as it creates the opportunity for havoc whenever you install a new piece of software that has any of its own filters; they may then get picked in building graphs for other apps, which may not work anymore.

Thank you for the explanation!
I was another reader who didn't understand the concept being talked about.

It sounds like a great idea but also a frustrating one too!

-t
post #829 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrandall View Post

Thank you so much. I had forgotten about that menu function though I thought I had looked everywhere. I haven't used my JVC for a couple of years. I guess it WAS a senior moment.

Be sure to post how your captures from DVHS go. Mine worked, but there were little hiccups in the picture like every 15 seconds. Not sure why.
post #830 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Quote:

Be sure to post how your captures from DVHS go. Mine worked, but there were little hiccups in the picture like every 15 seconds. Not sure why.

DVHS DVHS...does it produce good quality video with this device? That is the question.

Did you try going from the 30K directly to the Haupp? Maybe the chaining of the Mits to the JVC is causing the blips in the video?

Is the playback the issue or the encoding??

Thanks!

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #831 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow. Thanks for indulging my skepticism.

Then how do we explain this?? I have a dual core laptop but certainly not very fast. But geez 1% cpu utilization would suggest that it should be no problem with most machines...even my laptop.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #832 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

Then how do we explain this?? I have a dual core laptop but certainly not very fast. But geez 1% cpu utilization would suggest that it should be no problem with most machines...even my laptop.

It's the preview. I think the issue lies on the codec decoding capabilities of the system's video card. In my case, my laptop has Nvidia Quadro NVS 140S:

Quote:

NVIDIA® PureVideo™ HD Technology2
Powerful combination of complete high-definition video decode acceleration and advanced post-processing (scaling, de-interlacing, color correction etc) that delivers unprecedented picture clarity, smooth video, accurate color, and precise image scaling for the latest HD Video content playback on your PC.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_...ebook_fbs.html

Check your chipset.

It might make sense for them to provide an update so that folks can turn off preview?
post #833 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DVHS DVHS...does it produce good quality video with this device? That is the question.

Did you try going from the 30K directly to the Haupp? Maybe the chaining of the Mits to the JVC is causing the blips in the video?

Is the playback the issue or the encoding??

Thanks!

Good thought, but the 30k I got(from another poster on AVS actually, for cheap) I just got to use as an MPEG2 decoder, the playback mechanism doesn't work. 99% sure my next TV down the road won't have firewire, so I needed something to convert from firewire to component, a broken 30k is the best way to do that without spending a fortune on a new JVC 5u or something.
post #834 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:

Good thought, but the 30k I got(from another poster on AVS actually, for cheap) I just got to use as an MPEG2 decoder, the playback mechanism doesn't work. 99% sure my next TV down the road won't have firewire, so I needed something to convert from firewire to component, a broken 30k is the best way to do that without spending a fortune on a new JVC 5u or something.

Heh. I have a 30k that isn't "broken" per se, but due to its tendency to have tape dropouts every 10 to 60 minutes, and for those to kill its audio decoding, I too use mine only as a 5c decoder from firewire feed.
post #835 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, another reason I use the Mits 1100u for playback, it's a much stonger unit tape mechanism-wise. I effectivly use it as a 5c decoder as well.

I just did another trial with my DVHS setup, and I'm happy to report better results, smooth recording/capture I DID get the SPDIF audio input to work as well(I'm using the driver from the Hauppauge CD that came w/ the unit), I set the 30k to output PCM-2ch and it works.

Here is a sample that was captured at 10Mbps average(12Mbps peak), using "variable average"

If you watch the bottomline(which wasn't HD in 2006 when this game was recorded), it's pretty smooth and doesn't hiccup.
post #836 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Then how do we explain this??

Hardware h.264 decoding by the graphics chip?

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3047

They were getting 5 to 10 percent CPU usage but they were playing from disc so the CPU was probably decrypting the video.
post #837 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 07:33 PM

My original unit had the "freeze' problem, I RMA'd it and the replacement unit is in transit and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow (Thursday). I will plug it in as a direct replacement, no change to software, cables, etc. If it works then it will show definitively that the freeze was a hardware problem. If it also freezes, that will be a bit ambiguous - it could be another bad unit, they don't seem to be rare. But I will also know enough to try turning it on end. Or setting it in a bucket of ice.
post #838 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post

Well I got mine HDPVR today and upgrade my old out date GF6800 AGP to new Sapphire HD3850 AGP with new Corsair TX650W watt power supply
Bad news the dran thing is over heat with in frist few "3 min" ho man that just sinks so I pull it a apart and found that Ambarella A2 and Analog Devices ADV7401 maybe root of are problem is get so dran hot that why the it may stop working.

Same problem here. No difference if the playback is through the ArcSoft application or Sage HD-extender. If I power cycle the HD-PVR it runs for a while longer - but eventually hangs. Seems to run longer if lying on its side - better cooling?
post #839 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson View Post

A...There's only a handful of HD programming I really wanted to capture with this device -- most of the HD stuff is unencrypted and can be recorded via firewire, and I don't subscribe to any of the premium HD channels...

Lucky you, I guess. Tens of TB that I would like to capture have gone by on my cable system since they turned on 5C on all channel except local and one other that I won't specify. That's what I want this thing for, and I expect it to become my all-time favorite piece of equipment.
post #840 of 5196 Old 06-04-2008, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, another reason I use the Mits 1100u for playback, it's a much stonger unit tape mechanism-wise. I effectivly use it as a 5c decoder as well.

I just did another trial with my DVHS setup, and I'm happy to report better results, smooth recording/capture I DID get the SPDIF audio input to work as well(I'm using the driver from the Hauppauge CD that came w/ the unit), I set the 30k to output PCM-2ch and it works.

Here is a sample that was captured at 10Mbps average(12Mbps peak), using "variable average"

If you watch the bottomline(which wasn't HD in 2006 when this game was recorded), it's pretty smooth and doesn't hiccup.

Great news! The only concern I have left is if my wimpy Intel dual core 1.65 mhz laptop will do the job.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page