Hauppauge WinTV HD PVR (H.264) screenshot - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 5201 Old 06-10-2008, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the trial version of Arcsoft's Total Media Theatre and was going to activate it once the 15 day trial is up. I also have a HD PVR on order (should be in by early next week) and would like to confirm if the Total Media Extreme that comes with the HD PVR contains the full version of Theatre for playback of Blu-ray with lossless surround sound or is it the basic trial version that only has stereo audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 5201 Old 06-10-2008, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audible View Post

I have the trial version of Arcsoft's Total Media Theatre and was going to activate it once the 15 day trial is up. I also have a HD PVR on order (should be in by early next week) and would like to confirm if the Total Media Extreme that comes with the HD PVR contains the full version of Theatre for playback of Blu-ray with lossless surround sound or is it the basic trial version that only has stereo audio.

from what i understand stereo is the only thing available currently but will be fixed in update later
post #1083 of 5201 Old 06-10-2008, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole369 View Post

The computer is not reliant on cpu power to record. In fact recording outside of the ridiculous preview window uses less than 1% cpu on my p4-3.4. Its not cpu intensive at all. This is a HARDWARE device - all it does is open a 10mbit/second stream over the USB cable and write to disk.

I musta missed it. Is there a way to record without using the Preview screen? My PCs are both modest in specs and would not be usable with the bundled recording application.

Does one of the other apps record without previewing?

ft

post #1084 of 5201 Old 06-10-2008, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audible View Post

...would like to confirm if the Total Media Extreme that comes with the HD PVR contains the full version of Theatre for playback of Blu-ray with lossless surround sound or is it the basic trial version that only has stereo audio.

TotalMedia Extrem version accompanied HD PVR package is 1.0.9.4 (2007, not the latest?). TotalMedia Theatre version is 2.1.4.108. Audio options: headphone; 2-channel; 5.1; S/PDIF.

post #1085 of 5201 Old 06-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks to a tip from jbellanca about Boot Camp and research to understand the difference between Virtualization and Native OS: I now have the HD-PVR working on a Macintosh!

With a Core2Duo 1.83GHz Mac Mini operating Windows XP in Native mode through Boot Camp, the drivers installed instantly and the software soon followed.

I quickly tried (with the HD-PVR on its side the whole time) a 5 minute clip of 4x3 content at 720x480p just to see how it works and I was able to watch it in ArcSoft with no problem.

I am now trying to capture a 45 minute program at the same resolution and tomorrow I will connect it to my DirecTV HD receiver to start experimenting with HD capture.

Tonight I will work on the 5 minute clip back on another macintosh, and tomorrow I will start working on how to view these clips on my AppleTV.

What a week!

Ironically my Roku NetFlix Player came in today; tomorrow is gonna be a busy day!
post #1086 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post

I musta missed it. Is there a way to record without using the Preview screen? My PCs are both modest in specs and would not be usable with the bundled recording application.

I was just gonna ask the same thing. Seems like with the preview screen on, the CPU usage of a "lesser" machine is going to be pegged at 100%. Maybe it will still record fine even while that is going on?
post #1087 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 05:34 AM

MichaelLax, I just ordered the NetflixPlayer after you said you got yours... How much HD content is available currently? How long does it take to retrieve SD and how long for HD?

Thanks man.. I have to be honest, I hadn't heard of it until I saw your post.. it took me all of 3 minutes to convince me of the purchase... No more worrying about getting another 500 GB hard drive as I plan on stopping my Blu Ray ripping as soon as more content is available on the Roku.

Thanks,
Chew
post #1088 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewdogg10 View Post

MichaelLax, I just ordered the NetflixPlayer after you said you got yours... How much HD content is available currently? How long does it take to retrieve SD and how long for HD?

If you're already a NetFlix subscriber, like myself, it's a no brainer! Actually, currently there is no HD content, but much widescreen DVD quality content. It takes about 15 seconds for the movie to stream enough to start watching, and similiarly 15 seconds after you go fast forward or rewind in the midst of the movie.

Thanks man.. I have to be honest, I hadn't heard of it until I saw your post.. it took me all of 3 minutes to convince me of the purchase... No more worrying about getting another 500 GB hard drive as I plan on stopping my Blu Ray ripping as soon as more content is available on the Roku.

This is NOT Blu-Ray; I think they want HD for the future. I don't own a BR, so I don't even know if you can rent them from NetFlix. But all of the Instant Watching is in addition to the 3 disc plan that I have and which continues...

Thanks,
Chew

post #1089 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 844
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

I was just gonna ask the same thing. Seems like with the preview screen on, the CPU usage of a "lesser" machine is going to be pegged at 100%.

I would recommend that everyone who would like a "stealth" i.e. background recording only option- to keep the CPU from maxing out on "borderline" systems give Hauppauge support a call at (631)434-3197 or email them at "techsupport@hauppauge.com" to let them know about your request. If they don't know users are having issues, they won't address the situation. The more people who call and write the better...

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth!”
M. Tyson
post #1090 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

I would recommend that everyone who would like a "stealth" i.e. background recording only option- to keep the CPU from maxing out on "borderline" systems give Hauppauge support a call at (631)434-3197 or email them at "techsupport@hauppauge.com" to let them know about your request. If they don't know users are having issues, they won't address the situation. The more people who call and write the better...

But we here should also let those posters know, "yes indeed you missed it". There's no option in the bundled sw to capture without preview. But there's plenty of discussion earlier in this thread about how to build a DS graph that can be used to capture without preview, and even a posted example.

For those who have the background to know what to do with that info, or with the time and inclination to learn (use Google please, I'm not going to post any more of an explanation here than I already did) that is enough - e.g. I was able to adapt my capture software with a few hours work. For anyone else, petitioning Hauppauge, and then waiting for them (or someone else) to publish a packaged-up non-previewing capture seems like your only option. Especially on slower machines that should be able to capture easily, even though they may be unable to playback an may choke on the preview.
post #1091 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

That's cool Michael... I do have a BD-RE burner and 20-50 GB a movie really adds up quickly! And yes, you can get Blu Ray currently from NetFlix, I've been doing it for a couple months now.

Hopefully, the HD will catch up soon on their selection.

By the way, I dropped my subscription to 8.99 per month, 1 unlimited (from 3 unlimited) after purchasing this box.

Thanks,
Chew
post #1092 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

I was just gonna ask the same thing. Seems like with the preview screen on, the CPU usage of a "lesser" machine is going to be pegged at 100%. Maybe it will still record fine even while that is going on?

I'm using a laptop thats a few years old (with a Sempron) and then transferring the files over to my main box. The laptop gets pegged at ~100% with the capture program open, and the preview is literally like watching a slideshow.. but the captures themselves come out perfectly.

I even get some weird anomalies in the preview window, like every few seconds it will show some random, pixelated frame from the beginning of the capture, but this does NOT end up in the output video.
post #1093 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 08:35 AM

Couple of other notes..

For those wanting to convert to divx / xvid, TMPGEnc Xpress works well. It freezes on occasion when importing the ts file, which I think has to do with the codec - unregistering / reregistering the CoreAVC codec fixes it - it works with CoreAVC and the ArcSoft codec.

As much as I'd like to leave the h.264 files as is, I haven't had any luck working with the files (removing commercials, etc.) which I need to be able to do. TS Cutter and TS Packet Editor both crash unexpectedly, often when I'm just about done with my cuts, which is unacceptable.

The good news is, I really can't see much difference once its converted to a hi bitrate divx or xvid - a little bit in the dark areas, but thats to be expected, and its not all that noticeable. I'm sure having Fios as the source helps a lot, since they apparently don't recompress the original signal. All in all, divx or xvid do a really good job with a clean source, and allows me to do whatever I want with the files - cut, edit, remix, whatever.
post #1094 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:

But we here should also let those posters know, "yes indeed you missed it". There's no option in the bundled sw to capture without preview. But there's plenty of discussion earlier in this thread about how to build a DS graph that can be used to capture without preview, and even a posted example.

For those who have the background to know what to do with that info, or with the time and inclination to learn (use Google please, I'm not going to post any more of an explanation here than I already did) that is enough - e.g. I was able to adapt my capture software with a few hours work. For anyone else, petitioning Hauppauge, and then waiting for them (or someone else) to publish a packaged-up non-previewing capture seems like your only option. Especially on slower machines that should be able to capture easily, even though they may be unable to playback an may choke on the preview.

QFT Tom.

Short answers -
YES it is possible to record without the preview graph.
NO you cannot do it within the included software. You'll have to write your own.

Unless you're a programmer you probably won't have a clue how to make it happen - please call Hauppauge and let them know you want this feature - they will most likely make it as its so simple (for programmers).

Directshow filters are discussed at length within this thread as Tom already pointed out - its possible to create one that just dumps the entire TS to disk as an H.264. This is actually quite likely what the Arcsoft program does - they just split off a preview window that requires a hefty h.264 decoder as a bonus.
post #1095 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Half day's use (unit always on its side):

when recording 480p content, seem to be no problem.

as soon as I switch to 720p content, it the screen freezes within a minute or two. Calling Tech Support for an RMA as we speak!

Anybody have any ideas why the content is coming in and going out as 59.94fps? Can the full ArcSoft Total Extreme package control setting the output to 29.97?

Does anybody know what the differences in the three NTSC settings in the ArcSoft Total Extreme are for?

Anybody know if we can select CALVC H.264 encoding instead of CABAC? I have these questions emailed into tech support. Thanks.
post #1096 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJamez View Post

Couple of other notes..

For those wanting to convert to divx / xvid, TMPGEnc Xpress works well. It freezes on occasion when importing the ts file, which I think has to do with the codec - unregistering / reregistering the CoreAVC codec fixes it - it works with CoreAVC and the ArcSoft codec.

As much as I'd like to leave the h.264 files as is, I haven't had any luck working with the files (removing commercials, etc.) which I need to be able to do. TS Cutter and TS Packet Editor both crash unexpectedly, often when I'm just about done with my cuts, which is unacceptable.

The good news is, I really can't see much difference once its converted to a hi bitrate divx or xvid - a little bit in the dark areas, but thats to be expected, and its not all that noticeable. I'm sure having Fios as the source helps a lot, since they apparently don't recompress the original signal. All in all, divx or xvid do a really good job with a clean source, and allows me to do whatever I want with the files - cut, edit, remix, whatever.

Yes- The BIGGEST problem so far is finding a software program that will divide and edit the h.264 files once you get them on your computer hard drive from the Haup box. TS Packet and Super have both either crashed or failed to EASILY edit the files. Total Media Extreme(comes with Haup box) erratically divides files and as stated is no good for editing out commercials. I have also tried Sony's Vegas 8 , Nero 8 and Ultimate Studio without success, maybe someone else can get these to work.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
post #1097 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 12:22 PM

Thanks Mike T. I will try TSMuxer but it looks like what I want. Elecard would also do it, but the steps it makes one go through means it takes waaaayy too long. By the time my first capture is muxed, it would be tantamount to waiting for the new Hauppauge drivers that support 5.1 audio.

I'm really surprised that more folks aren't concerned about the lack of support of 5.1 audio. I understand Hauppauge is promising it fairly soon, and we are all just having fun playing with the new capture box, but in my opinion I can't really archive anything that started with 5.1 audio on my DVR with only stereo through the capture box. That's giving up significant audio quality in exchange for HD video -- gotta have both for the full experience.

On a separate note, has anyone found an application that allows the component feed to be previewed in high quality full-screen so that one can watch one's PVR on the desktop full screen? Sure I can just switch the input on my HDTV, but I would like to integrate everything through a touchscreen that controls my HTPC.
post #1098 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Does anybody know what the differences in the three NTSC settings in the ArcSoft Total Extreme are for?

Different locales? Japan uses a slightly different NTSC than we do.

Quote:
Anybody know if we can select CALVC H.264 encoding instead of CABAC? I have these questions emailed into tech support. Thanks

Nowhere in any of the options - and I've been through them a LOT - have i found anything but what they show you in the Arcsoft software. the graph filter control has bitrate vs peak/avg/constant.

No option anywhere for CABAC vs CALVC

Quote:
Anybody have any ideas why the content is coming in and going out as 59.94fps? Can the full ArcSoft Total Extreme package control setting the output to 29.97?

Arcsoft doesn't do this - the h.264 stream is made that way. I'm willing to bet that the Ambarella chip always outputs 59.94 to handle interlacing.
post #1099 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
On a separate note, has anyone found an application that allows the component feed to be previewed in high quality full-screen so that one can watch one's PVR on the desktop full screen? Sure I can just switch the input on my HDTV, but I would like to integrate everything through a touchscreen that controls my HTPC.

None exist - see my posts above - The best bet is to write your own app - we can build filter graphs and output to an activemovie window - so any Directshow dev can whip one up lickety split.
post #1100 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

QFT Tom.

Short answers -
YES it is possible to record without the preview graph.
NO you cannot do it within the included software. You'll have to write your own.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea what you guys were talking about in those filter graph discussions, so it just went over my head. It's good to know that there is a way to do it.

But it's good to hear that recordings still come out fine even if the CPU is pegged out.

Incidentally, I've already had an exchange with a Hauppauge rep regarding Mac support and recording without the preview. His response was that Mac support is not on the short term radar, but would likely be supported at some point. His response regarding the recording without preview was this, "Currently there is no background recording function so the CPU requirements can not be lowered."

ft
post #1101 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 02:11 PM

Doesn't GB-PVR and Sage do this? I don't have the device but I would assume these PVRs allow you to watch natively from the device.
post #1102 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I had no idea what you guys were talking about in those filter graph discussions, so it just went over my head. It's good to know that there is a way to do it.

But it's good to hear that recordings still come out fine even if the CPU is pegged out.

Incidentally, I've already had an exchange with a Hauppauge rep regarding Mac support and recording without the preview. His response was that Mac support is not on the short term radar, but would likely be supported at some point. His response regarding the recording without preview was this, "Currently there is no background recording function so the CPU requirements can not be lowered."

ft

What kind of Mac do you have? Can you use Boot Camp?

I'm on a MacBook Pro, Using Boot Camp for Win XP. No problems with HD PVR.
post #1103 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KavMan View Post

What kind of Mac do you have? Can you use Boot Camp?

I'm on a MacBook Pro, Using Boot Camp for Win XP. No problems with HD PVR.

We have 2 Macs. A G3 iBook and my wife's 2ghz CoreDuo Macbook. I could load BootCamp onto the Macbook, but my wife hates when I use her Macbook for doing stuff like this. I end up tying it up for hours and she hates using her old PC.

So I figure that I could use my PC laptop for recording and the Macbook for playing the videos.

ft
post #1104 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

1. Well KavMan and I have both expressed that the HD-PVR works fine on our respective Mac's with Boot Camp...

2. I kinda like the preview and if it wasn't for the preview I wouldn't know when it froze, as the picture froze but the audio kept going...

3. I waited 4 years for consumer-priced analog component HD digitization; I suppose I can wait a little longer for 5.1.
post #1105 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Arcsoft doesn't do this - the h.264 stream is made that way. I'm willing to bet that the Ambarella chip always outputs 59.94 to handle interlacing.

Yes, I can understand uping to 59.94 half-frames for interlacing, but: this occurs on both of my progressive captures: 720 and 480. Why would it take a 29.97 input and output progressive at 59.94? And, if so, I bet this frame rate is what is causing all of the player/editor problems...
post #1106 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:

"Graphics with 256MB or greater"

I have a sneaking suspicion that this number is pulled right out of thin air.

Maybe because most vid cards with 256+MB are at least Geforce 7000 series (ATI x1xxx series?)- thus supporting DXVA and likely to do hardware de-interlacing.
post #1107 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post

Yes, I can understand uping to 59.94 half-frames for interlacing, but: this occurs on both of my progressive captures: 720 and 480. Why would it take a 29.97 input and output progressive at 59.94? And, if so, I bet this frame rate is what is causing all of the player/editor problems...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post14010956

See above.
post #1108 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I was just gonna ask the same thing. Seems like with the preview screen on, the CPU usage of a "lesser" machine is going to be pegged at 100%.

If you schedule a recording with the Hauppague Scheduler, there is no preview and cpu usage is down....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #1109 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

If you schedule a recording with the Hauppague Scheduler, there is no preview and cpu usage is down....

I just tried that piece of (software) again and it certainly did not behave that way for me. At the scheduled time, the arcsoft capture module popped up in all its glory, preview window and all. The only diff I saw, was that the scheduled capture use 100% of my 3.0GHz E8400, instead of 40 to 50%.

Which is not really a plug for my next post, just a sort of prerequisite test for me to bother posting it...
post #1110 of 5201 Old 06-11-2008, 08:21 PM

I amused myself today by making a lightweight version of my capture sw focused on the HDPVR (though it should run other graphs too). I stripped out support for tuning and capture over firewire, MyHD boards, coordinating multiple devices in a capture path, IR control of DVR etc., post-processing commands, multiple captures at one time, the intrface to SchedulesDirect, etc. etc.

What is left allows you to set up a schedule of captures from your HDPVR. If you can type a command to tune your source it should work with this program, otherwise it will not change channels for you. [Edit: if you have configured the HDPVR blaster and it works, you should be able to change channels using a provided command that invokes a Hauppauge command-line program.] And it will wake the PC up from sleep to perform a scheduled capture, and put the PC back to sleep afterwards if you told it to. And you can set up different strategies with capture graphs configured for different resolutions, and pick a different one on each scheduled capture.

I'll attach a couple of screen shots and the readme file.

The first three PMs from folks who have a working HDPVR and want to try it, and include an email address, and say that agree that it is beta software that they will use with due care and at their own risk, will get a zip file by email.

If anybody wants it.
LL
LL

readme.txt 2.7822265625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: txt readme.txt (2.8 KB, 59 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page