Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 5196 Old 04-08-2008, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by risk1994 View Post

Thanks for the response bdraw. That makes sense, since blu-ray is 1080p and broadcast will never be more than 1080i.

Im really curious to see how the video quality stacks up compared to having the cable box go straight to my tv.

There was a test clip posted here. (right click to save, otherwise browser may try to play with qt plug-in)

Overall all it looked good, but there is no telling what the source was. My main problem with the video was the scene where everyone was grabbing their skis. There may have been some degradation, but if so how much? No way of telling really without side by side comparison with source material.

Anyways, there are test units out there right now, so it's just a matter of time before screen shots start showing up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5196 Old 04-08-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wismac View Post

So reading through this thread I think I know the answer but I'm going to shoot anyway.

My setup is MCE 2005 with a single ATI tuner hooked to an HD cable box, via coax and ir-blaster. (This gives me every channel, not in HD mind you, but at least I can still watch the programming on stuff like Discovery/HDTheater etc...)

I also have an HD-Homerun hooked up to coax as well, and this gives me all the un-encrypted QAM channels from my cable co, including HD ones... (Not many but I get all the locals, Fox/ABC/NBC/etc...)

I have 2 xbox360 used as extenders, I don't actually watch anything off the MCE pc, and I'd like to keep it that way.

My hope is that I can use the Hauppauge to get "ALL" the HD channels that my cable co offers (with the appropriate service package of course) and still be able to watch(live) or recorded on both of the extenders. So pretty much taking the place of the ATI tuner.

Now reading through this thread it appears I won't be able to do this from the get go, since MCE doesn't support h.264, and it'll need to be patched either from MS or from Hauppauge.

SO should I cancel my pre-order? and wait until there is more info, (or directTV gets finished beta testing?) Or continue with the pre-order and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance.

If your gonna use MCE2005, I think your chances of using the hd-pvr in your system is very slim to none. MS might provide open h.264 to VistaMC, but I think it's not likely to do so for MCE2005.

There are other pctv apps out their, but thet won't go with the 360 xtendrs.
post #93 of 5196 Old 04-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankinla View Post

Well, as of right now MS does not support this product. This device outputs h.264, which Media Center doesn't work with.

Further, MS has made no mention of supporting this card, and Hauppage has made no allusions as to working with MS to get it in Media Center. As of right now, it is a general assumption that since DirecTV support is imminent, and since DirecTV signals are in h.264, then h.264 is coming to Media Center. Further, it is believed that SDV support is coming for cablecard/tru2way/whatever and that that will also require h.264 support.

SDV does not require AVC/H.264 support, in fact all the trials I am aware of is MPEG-2 (as the client runs on a standard Digital Cable STB, none of which support AVC/H.264) For Media Center, it is going to require either a Bi-Directional Open Cable Receiver (BOCR) or some kind of "tuning resolver" USB dongle like Tivo. Microsoft is indicating that BOCR support will be in Windows 7. And it sounds like we will not be getting a tuner resolver.

-- Jim
post #94 of 5196 Old 04-08-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:

If your gonna use MCE2005, I think your chances of using the hd-pvr in your system is very slim to none. MS might provide open h.264 to VistaMC, but I think it's not likely to do so for MCE2005.

There are other pctv apps out their, but thet won't go with the 360 xtendrs.

Oh I don't have a problem with moving to VMC, I am kinda looking forward to it... But until I need to, it's working very nicely with all the hassle I had to go through to get the HD-Homerun working correct. So I don't want to break it just yet :P
post #95 of 5196 Old 04-08-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallory View Post

SDV does not require AVC/H.264 support, in fact all the trials I am aware of is MPEG-2 (as the client runs on a standard Digital Cable STB, none of which support AVC/H.264) For Media Center, it is going to require either a Bi-Directional Open Cable Receiver (BOCR) or some kind of "tuning resolver" USB dongle like Tivo. Microsoft is indicating that BOCR support will be in Windows 7. And it sounds like we will not be getting a tuner resolver.

You may be right... I had reread an old article, and I must have read it too quickly. The jist should have Mpeg4 or SDV.

If so, it weakens the case for open h.264 in Vista. Oh well, SageTV has some well reviewed extenders.
post #96 of 5196 Old 04-08-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wismac View Post

Oh I don't have a problem with moving to VMC, I am kinda looking forward to it... But until I need to, it's working very nicely with all the hassle I had to go through to get the HD-Homerun working correct. So I don't want to break it just yet :P

I wouldn't rush to upgrade to vista. In fact, unless you are runing hardware manufactured after Jan 1, 2007, I would say never upgrade to Vista. In any case, Vista does not now, and may not in the future support h.264 in a fashion that would allow the HD PVR to function in MC.
post #97 of 5196 Old 04-08-2008, 06:44 PM

After reading through the thread, I think the answer to this question is "no", but:

Would it be possible to use the HD PVR to send Satellite TV to host computer, and then output the HD video and audio signals to regular coax via some sort of card (I have no idea if this card exists!), and plug the coax cable from the computer into a clear QAM tuner on an HDTV which could then display the 1080i almost as if it were just clear QAM signal?
post #98 of 5196 Old 04-08-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
post #99 of 5196 Old 04-08-2008, 06:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Okay, I just have to ask... why are you trying to do that? Sorry for answering with a question; but, this has to be one of the most bizarre questions I've seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoppa View Post

After reading through the thread, I think the answer to this question is "no", but:

Would it be possible to use the HD PVR to send Satellite TV to host computer, and then output the HD video and audio signals to regular coax via some sort of card (I have no idea if this card exists!), and plug the coax cable from the computer into a clear QAM tuner on an HDTV which could then display the 1080i almost as if it were just clear QAM signal?

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #100 of 5196 Old 04-08-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post

Okay, I just have to ask... why are you trying to do that? Sorry for answering with a question; but, this has to be one of the most bizarre questions I've seen

The house has a central room with a bunch of terminating coax cables that go to several rooms in the house. The local cable company does not service this house, so cable TV is not an option. We want to upgrade DirecTV to HD; our current box sends the video/audio signal over coax, but I fear that an HD DirecTV will do only HDMI or component... We want to be able to watch TV from the HD DirecTV receiver in several rooms (without getting multiple receivers, natch). which is why I'm here!

I hope to god I'm overlooking something really obvious, but I really can't think of a way to
post #101 of 5196 Old 04-08-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimwesternguy View Post

Any reason why this device could not capture the output from an Apple TV?

Don't see why not. You can do that with the Slingbox Pro today.

But imagine if we could hook the Hauppauge directly *to* an Apple TV?!? Damn, that would be cool.
post #102 of 5196 Old 04-08-2008, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't rush to upgrade to vista. In fact, unless you are runing hardware manufactured after Jan 1, 2007, I would say never upgrade to Vista. In any case, Vista does not now, and may not in the future support h.264 in a fashion that would allow the HD PVR to function in MC.

If your hardware wasn't manufactured after Jan 1, 2007, there is a good chance your not going to have smooth H.264 playback in the first place.

Chris
post #103 of 5196 Old 04-08-2008, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The house has a central room with a bunch of terminating coax cables that go to several rooms in the house. The local cable company does not service this house, so cable TV is not an option. We want to upgrade DirecTV to HD; our current box sends the video/audio signal over coax, but I fear that an HD DirecTV will do only HDMI or component... We want to be able to watch TV from the HD DirecTV receiver in several rooms (without getting multiple receivers, natch). which is why I'm here!

I hope to god I'm overlooking something really obvious, but I really can't think of a way to

Extend the HDMI or component over CAT5 using baluns. I do this and it works great. I can stick my Sage extenders in one spot, and just send the zoned IR to them. No boxes next to the displays.
post #104 of 5196 Old 04-08-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

Extend the HDMI or component over CAT5 using baluns. I do this and it works great. I can stick my Sage extenders in one spot, and just send the zoned IR to them. No boxes next to the displays.

where do you get baluns, and what exactly are they?

what do you mean by your Sage extenders?
post #105 of 5196 Old 04-09-2008, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL01 View Post

If your hardware wasn't manufactured after Jan 1, 2007, there is a good chance your not going to have smooth H.264 playback in the first place.

Chris

Oh, yeah. And then there's that! Of course, with one of the newer video cards, you could make it playable on an older machine. But there is more to Vista than just playing big video files, like... i don't know... driver support?
post #106 of 5196 Old 04-09-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:

You're going to have to run some new wires to do what you want. There's no cheap way to convert an HD signal and send it over coax. Your choices are either component, HDMI, or wired network with baluns.
The DirecTV receivers can provide 2 HD signals, one HDMI and one component. If you're going to more than two TV's you'll need either a matrix switcher or a distribution splitter/amp.
I just got done crawling through my spider infested attic to run a couple of component cables to allow me to view my DirecTV DVR in the bedroom and kitchen. I would have run HDMI but I also wanted to distribute my HTPC and my 400 disk changer which only output component.

Better living through credit cards
post #107 of 5196 Old 04-09-2008, 07:31 AM

I 'm not a big computer tech but for people like me who have HD recordings on SCIATL 8300HD boxes can this device capture those shows from the 8300HD's component video output and record the shows to PC? Then can you transfer the recordings to DVD using AVCHD compression to playback on Bluray players?

Thanks for responses
post #108 of 5196 Old 04-09-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, and yes.

Chris
post #109 of 5196 Old 04-09-2008, 07:35 AM

Thanks! I have 8 8300HD's full of HD garbage, my cable bill is 300 a month so this is a worthwhile investment for me, also I don't have to buy anymore sataII harddrives either!
post #110 of 5196 Old 04-09-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Ordered one yesterday too.
BTW... downloaded the demo video and it played back flawlessly on my Popcorn Hour

If this thing actually works out as advertised, I may consider selling my TiVoHD (get my $750 investment back) and just use it with the cable company $9.95 rental SA8300HD DVR. I'm very concerned with my cable provider migrating HD channels to SDV- they've already started to move the VOOM channels in the NY/NJ area, rendering the TiVoHD useless.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #111 of 5196 Old 04-09-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

where do you get baluns, and what exactly are they?

what do you mean by your Sage extenders?

http://www.cooldrives.com/raidinfo.html
post #112 of 5196 Old 04-09-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What you're looking for is an ATSC RF-Modulator and unfortunately consumer versions don't exist.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #113 of 5196 Old 04-09-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

What you're looking for is an ATSC RF-Modulator and unfortunately consumer versions don't exist.

What separates consumer from professional? Price, or price and complexity?

Depending on those factors it still could be an option for us. What's a ballpark cost for one, and do you know of a an example make/model?
post #114 of 5196 Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 AM

I am confused why everyone says that there is no h264 support in VMC. I convert my DVDs to MKVs with the x264 codec which is open source h264 and they play fine in VMC. You don't have fast forward but skip works. I also converted using NeroVision and I think that does use h264 and those playback as well.

I thought the Vista Compatibility issue is that Microsoft can place the stream outputted from the device within DVR-MS. But if I used another software to schedule and make the recordings I should be able to play them back fine in VMC.

Have the Sage and GB-PVR people figured out if comskip is going to work with this? I kind of like being able to watch TV without picking up the remote every 10 minutes to skip commercials.
post #115 of 5196 Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Right, when people are talking about it working in Media Center they are talking about being able to use it for recording, not playing them back. You can play back H.264 in any DirectShow application, and any device that supports H.264.

The issue is that Media Center can't write H.264 to DVR-MS.

Chris
post #116 of 5196 Old 04-09-2008, 11:32 AM

stlbearboy, JereJones has said on the SageTV forums that he will be updating showanalyzer to do commercial detection on the HD-PVR files.
post #117 of 5196 Old 04-09-2008, 12:39 PM

Just placed my order. Hopefully its released on May 1 as stated on the site
post #118 of 5196 Old 04-09-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbearboy View Post

Have the Sage and GB-PVR people figured out if comskip is going to work with this? I kind of like being able to watch TV without picking up the remote every 10 minutes to skip commercials.

Erik (GB-PVR) is working on comskip support.
post #119 of 5196 Old 04-09-2008, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ordered mine yesterday. I've been waiting for this particular HTPC toy a long time!
post #120 of 5196 Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What separates consumer from professional? Price, or price and complexity?

Depending on those factors it still could be an option for us. What's a ballpark cost for one, and do you know of a an example make/model?

The professional ones are the ones used to broadcast ATSC TV and the modulator and the encoder are separate components. If I were to guess, I'd say they are about $20k. But honestly I have no idea. Here are some pictures I took when I got a tour of a local ABC affiliate.

Here's the full story.
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/08/30...n-hd-newscast/

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page