Hauppauge WinTV HD PVR (H.264) screenshot - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 5201 Old 08-12-2008, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
After reading this thread, I'm still confused about a couple of things, hoping someone can provide an insight for the following:

1. As of now, is there any editing software that will allow editing (cutting out commercials) of the captured files?

2. What is the best capture software if final destination is destined to be mp4/avchd on DVD-Bluray discs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 5201 Old 08-12-2008, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARogan View Post

You don't have to build it. I've included the pre-built .exe but you do need .net framework 3.5. Source is included b/c some people like to look at that stuff (or if they are a developer they are free to change it to fit their needs).
Granted it's not a "hold your hand" easy type of application but if you are comfortable at the command line it gets the job done.
FYI, I've capped hundreds of shows now with rcTVCap over the past month, and it's been working fine. I have to say my c1 replacement with fan mod has been really reliable in a 24/7 recording environment (knock on wood).

Don't mind the command interface as long as the commands are clearly documented somewhere. Actually I need a command interface so my program can properly schedule it. So all that needs to be installed is .net 3.5 and that won't mess anything up with the MYHD card, Fusion card and HDHomerun recordings? Isn't there also something about a GraphEdit having to be run?

I'm going to get and install a PCH to see how the files look first. I need it anyway to play H.264 on the TV. If the files are affected by the slow processor I'll try rcTVCap and/or get a new MB and proc.

I also have Visual Studio 8 but quickly found out that users of anything I built needed a serious upgrade so I fell back to VS 2005. Now my stuff continues to run under new and old XP and Vista.
post #2343 of 5201 Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two pcs that I will test the hd pvr on. My question is do you guys think I can get a variable bitrate avg of 13.5 with peak of 20 using a pentium d 940 (3.2ghz) without studdering and skips with 1080i video. I will probably use the ProcessExplorer method to lower the cpu utilization if I have to, but I would rather not have to do that. Thanks

post #2344 of 5201 Old 08-13-2008, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mces97 View Post

I have two pcs that I will test the hd pvr on. My question is do you guys think I can get a variable bitrate avg of 13.5 with peak of 20 using a pentium d 940 (3.2ghz) without studdering and skips with 1080i video. I will probably use the ProcessExplorer method to lower the cpu utilization if I have to, but I would rather not have to do that. Thanks

If you use a video card with hardware h.264 decoding, definitely. And I'm pretty sure the ArcSoft capture module and player will have no problems when using software decoding. The Pentium D is a dual core CPU and should be fast enough.
post #2345 of 5201 Old 08-13-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsscientist View Post

After reading this thread, I'm still confused about a couple of things, hoping someone can provide an insight for the following:

1. As of now, is there any editing software that will allow editing (cutting out commercials) of the captured files?

2. What is the best capture software if final destination is destined to be mp4/avchd on DVD-Bluray discs?

1. h2t64 cutter will allow editing (name is prolly not accurate)
2. the bundled software does a great job making avchd discs, not sure about mp4.
post #2346 of 5201 Old 08-13-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:

capturing shouldn't be a problem i use an Athlon 2.0 single core with no problems. Playback depends on the total sum of your system, the video card plays a big role.
post #2347 of 5201 Old 08-13-2008, 10:25 AM

Have you ever tried capturing 1080i at 13.5mb avg with a peak of 20 and confirmed the capture went ok?
post #2348 of 5201 Old 08-13-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Have you ever tried capturing 1080i at 13.5mb avg with a peak of 20 and confirmed the capture went ok?

i do all my HD shows that way. u get large files though...opening ceremonies for the olympics ended up at around 30gb.
post #2349 of 5201 Old 08-13-2008, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinsguy View Post

i do all my HD shows that way. u get large files though...opening ceremonies for the olympics ended up at around 30gb.

That's what I've been using and I've taped a couple of basketball games and they were both around 9.5 GB for around 2 hours.

My caps for 1080i TV shows, like Closer, Eureka, Burn Notice, etc... are usually around 3.5 GB for an hour. I guess the basketball and constant action uses a bit more. Actually I would guess the basketball would use even more, but I'm taping from the Olympic Basketball Channel and it has pretty much static images during the entire half and anything on either side of the actual game.
post #2350 of 5201 Old 08-13-2008, 01:54 PM

I actually dont mind capturing at high bitrates. What I will be doing is finding out at actually what bitrate I start seeing diminishing returns in terms of quality, and if the files are small enough then I will keep them, but if I feel I need to then I will record at higher bitrates for fast action scenes, then do a 2 pass re-encode with megui with some better filters going. I know the process is long, but thats why I have 2 pc's. One for recording and one for converting.
post #2351 of 5201 Old 08-13-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:

I actually dont mind capturing at high bitrates. What I will be doing is finding out at actually what bitrate I start seeing diminishing returns in terms of quality, and if the files are small enough then I will keep them, but if I feel I need to then I will record at higher bitrates for fast action scenes, then do a 2 pass re-encode with megui with some better filters going. I know the process is long, but thats why I have 2 pc's. One for recording and one for converting.

i found that 10.0 avg is the minimum for my tastes. file size is about 30mb per minute less than 13.5.
post #2352 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARogan View Post

You don't have to build it. I've included the pre-built .exe but you do need .net framework 3.5. Source is included b/c some people like to look at that stuff (or if they are a developer they are free to change it to fit their needs).
Granted it's not a "hold your hand" easy type of application but if you are comfortable at the command line it gets the job done.
FYI, I've capped hundreds of shows now with rcTVCap over the past month, and it's been working fine. I have to say my c1 replacement with fan mod has been really reliable in a 24/7 recording environment (knock on wood).

I use MYHD most of the time to watch material recorded off Fusion and HDHR tuners on another machine. Obviously because the files are on another machine they are networked and I was just reminded that MYHD does not operate correctly on networked files with dual/multiple processors. So upgrading my mb & proc is not an option.

I'd like to try rcTVCap and to start off the graphfilter thingy looks a bit daunting. Is there any chance to get a bit of help here or offline to get this operating? First question is do I need .net 3.5 just to get thru the graphfilter operation? I'd like to delay that until all else is done.

By offline I mean pm or email.

I went to the url for XP and saw more documentation there. I'll plow thru that.
post #2353 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm pretty sure graphfilter doesn't need .net 3.5. I think if you can find a copy of graphfilter, that you can muddle through the rest pretty easy. He has pretty good instructions, I tried the preview and the capture and it was painless, and you can save the graph once you get it built.

I wouldn't mind seeing the conversation in the open, others, including myself could benefit from the discussion I'm sure.
post #2354 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 12:26 PM

Hi

I just made a 2hr recording (1080i at 9MBPS constant quality - the default setting). The file size was 7.68GB and I was going to burn it to a Dual layer DVD.

When I try to do this it says the video will need over 15GB of space on the disc!! Any ideas why this is? I haven't edited the video at all.

This is really disappointing unless there is a way around it.
post #2355 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 PM

I've been following this thread off & on since this product was announced.

Question: has this product been revised to a point where it's ready for mainstream consumers? If so, is there a hardware version # I should look out for?

I don't care to be a beta-tester (I mean "early adopter") for a new product. Thanks.
post #2356 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjourdel View Post

Hi

I just made a 2hr recording (1080i at 9MBPS constant quality - the default setting). The file size was 7.68GB and I was going to burn it to a Dual layer DVD.

When I try to do this it says the video will need over 15GB of space on the disc!! Any ideas why this is? I haven't edited the video at all.

This is really disappointing unless there is a way around it.

are u using TME to make the disks? make sure you've only added the file one time to the program. i made that mistake when i 1st started making disks.
post #2357 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm in the middle of running the GraphEdit and stuck at "connect the pins according to the screen shot". OK, this is really going to be a SWAG!!!!!

And the entry about DirectShow Filters is.......... I did nothing.

Modify quality settings,,,,,, why and to what?

Obviously the SWAG was exactly that. Get errors saying "These filters cannot agree .........."
post #2358 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodjoe View Post

I've been following this thread off & on since this product was announced.

Question: has this product been revised to a point where it's ready for mainstream consumers? If so, is there a hardware version # I should look out for?

I don't care to be a beta-tester (I mean "early adopter") for a new product. Thanks.

the product has worked fine out of the box since day one except for some over-heating units which has been addressed. the installation is easy enough for the average consumer but tweaking things to your liking may or may not be easy...it all depends on your level of tech knowledge and where u want to view the files...if your pc is powerful enough then using the bundled software is all you need...if you'll need to do some conversions then things could be more complex. i think the fixed version # is C2...i have the original version and have not had any issues with over-heating.
post #2359 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post

I'm in the middle of running the GraphEdit and stuck at "connect the pins according to the screen shot". OK, this is really going to be a SWAG!!!!!

And the entry about DirectShow Filters is.......... I did nothing.

Modify quality settings,,,,,, why and to what?

Obviously the SWAG was exactly that. Get errors saying "These filters cannot agree .........."

Which graph are you trying to build?
post #2360 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 01:19 PM

I've managed to get my HD PVR C2 to record fine since the olympics started. I've recorded at least 16 hours a day. 6 hour clips end up being around 31.3gb. I'm using sageTV with highest quality setting.
I've only been scheduling and recording w/o live playback (sagetv set to sleep mode) since my laptop is old pentium M, onboard graphics.. If I start messing around in sage while the HD PVR is recording i've noticed things like the recordings stop sometime, or at least the recording noise and blue LED go off.. a couple of other wonky things, I'd rather just get the recordings in now and set proper playback up later on my Q6600, 8800GT rig later.

Main reason I'm recording on the old dell 710m laptop is because the HD PVR gets pretty loud. I've got the PVR setup in another room with the laptop, an esata cardbus card, and an external esata enclosure + hdd.
Is the noise coming from a fan inside the HD PVR? because I don't see a vent for anything.. Has anyone modified their box? I'd like to open mine up eventually and come up with a solution for fanless operation, or replace it with a quieter one.. anyone try this yet??
post #2361 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Which graph are you trying to build?

I followed the instructions literally. It currently says 'untitled'. There was nothing said (or I missed it) about opening a graph using File/Open.

Was I suppose to open filedump.ax??

The statement "get a copy of that file just regsvr32 filedump.ax" was not clear. I didn't, but can do the regsvr32, but "get a copy" means what?

How can regsvr32 find filedump.ax?
post #2362 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I followed the instructions literally. It currently says 'untitled'. There was nothing said (or I missed it) about opening a graph using File/Open.

The statement "get a copy of that file just regsvr32 filedump.ax" was not clear. I didn't, but can do the regsvr32, but "get a copy" means what?

I've not used arogan's program yet, but I did build some of his graphs and captured a test file and built a preview graph just to check it out. Sorry, I'm no help at this point as far as using arogan's program. I will agree that the regsvr32 part is a little bit fuzzy on the details.
post #2363 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 01:55 PM

MILESTONE!!!!

I've managed to stream HD content over Ethernet! I used the HD-PVR to bring in Apple TV - at 720p. I used Elecards G4 SDK to send the TS into Elecards NWRenderer Multicast broadcast filter.

Specifically on the source side - The graph in graphedit looked like:

Crossbar -> Capture Device -> Encoder -> Elecard NWRenderer.

On the viewer side - Elecard RTSP source(I fed it the .sdp created by the nwrenderer) -> Elecard Push Demultiplexer - which nicely created the pins automatically - and Elecards AVC and Elecards AAC decoders.

This works 100%!!!

Interestingly creating the rtsp source wiped out the VOIP phones in my office - but I bet thats from the weird multicast.

Uses perhaps 1% of a gigabit network - about the same as what comes over USB - 10 mbits or so. I would think you could get 10 HD-PVRs going on a gigabit before you started to see some interactivity delays.
post #2364 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 01:59 PM

Simple:

Open a command prompt.

type regsvr32 (the name of the .ax you need to register).

Of course you'll have to use DOS commands like cd and dir to get there. Unfortunately this isn't a classroom so to speak.

regsvr32 is an executable that registers modules into Windows 2000/XP/Vista. The .ax is that module.

Start, Run, type in CMD then hit OK to get the command prompt. Use your dos commands to get the the directory containing proppage.dll (or the .ax your registering) - type regsvr32 proppage.dll and press enter.

I'm guessing your registering proppage.dll right?
post #2365 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 02:05 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

ok a little background. filedump.ax is well a file dump filter provided by the arcsoft installation. When you install arcsoft, filedump.ax is already on your pc (and also effectively registered with regsvr32). So if you've installed the included arcsoft software you don't have to do any of that. That part of the instructions is for people who do NOT want to install the entire arcsoft package (because some people like me don't want or need a heavy install like that mucking up their machine with a 100 unwanted filters). Regsvr32 registers a COM object into your registry. Directshow filter files (.ax) are really just com objects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_Object_Model
Ok but you really don't need to know any of that.

Start with a blank graph (just fire up graphedit). You are creating a new graph from scratch! Then you want to insert filters (ctrl F, or pick it from the menu). When you go to insert your filters you'll see a list of all filters installed in your computer divided into categories which you can expand that show the individual filters. That list of filers is pretty much all those .ax files that are registered on your computer. As you can see there are a lot included by default in windows. So when I say "DirectShow Filters: File Dump" I mean find the Directshow filters category, expand it, find the File Dump filter and insert it. If you didn't install arcsoft earlier (or copied the critical file dump file from the arcsoft install and reg it) then it won't show up in the list.

Once you've got all the filters inserted (all those boxes) you need to connect the pins. Just drag and drop from the little square boxes on the edges and connect them up. You kind of paint those arrows you see in the screenshot.

At that point your are mostly done. You can now tweak things like bitrate, vbr/cbr if you want by right clicking on the Hauppauge hd pvr encoder box and selecting properties. This part only works if you properly regsvr32 the appropriate proppage.dll when setting up graphedit. While you are in there I also recommend changing the GOP settings if you use coreavc.

Let me know if any of this makes sense. If it does I'll go back and update the post. Hey I'm a programmer not a tech writer! :-)
post #2366 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole369 View Post

Simple:
Open a command prompt.
type regsvr32 (the name of the .ax you need to register).
Of course you'll have to use DOS commands like cd and dir to get there. Unfortunately this isn't a classroom so to speak.
regsvr32 is an executable that registers modules into Windows 2000/XP/Vista. The .ax is that module.
Start, Run, type in CMD then hit OK to get the command prompt. Use your dos commands to get the the directory containing proppage.dll (or the .ax your registering) - type regsvr32 proppage.dll and press enter.
I'm guessing your registering proppage.dll right?

I know this is not a classroom and I know how to use regsvr32. I already registered proppage.dll but I did so after moving it to the Windows\\System folder. The instructions say to register filedump.ax too. I was wunderin' if that file must also be moved to a Windows system folder. If not how does regsvr32 find it. Does it search the entire drive?

rebkell, I'm nowheres near using arogan's program. I'm still in GraphEdit trying to understand if I'm creating a graph or modifying a graph. And if I'm modifying a graph, which one. Do I File/Open filedump.ax?
post #2367 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyc View Post

Main reason I'm recording on the old dell 710m laptop is because the HD PVR gets pretty loud. I've got the PVR setup in another room with the laptop, an esata cardbus card, and an external esata enclosure + hdd.
Is the noise coming from a fan inside the HD PVR? because I don't see a vent for anything.. Has anyone modified their box? I'd like to open mine up eventually and come up with a solution for fanless operation, or replace it with a quieter one.. anyone try this yet??

It is the way the fan is positioned in the case that makes it noisy. I posted my findings with the unit in the owners thread. Here's a link to it.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post14440410

In the original location, the fan isn't really moving any air. So you could just unplug it and it would be the same. The heatsink is the most important part. If you would cut some vent holes in the case to let some passive air exchange, it would be even better.

My plan is to keep the fan running, but relocate it closer to the heatsink. The fan is quite a bit quieter when it is running in open air.

Michael
post #2368 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinsguy View Post

are u using TME to make the disks? make sure you've only added the file one time to the program. i made that mistake when i 1st started making disks.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am just using the bundled TME software. As I said, I have not edited the video but the filesize required is huge. I have only added the video once as far as I am aware.

Does this seem normal? What sort of file size would you expect when you burn a 7.7GB video file?

Thanks again for any help.
post #2369 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
The instructions say to register filedump.ax too. I was wunderin' if that file must also be moved to a Windows system folder

You don't have to copy it to the windows system folder. Changing directories to where the filedump.ax file is located, then running regsvr32 filedump.ax ought to do it. I think (not certain) that it copies it there itself. It doesn't search the whole drive, but your windows "path" statement. Look in system properties to find the "path". Basically any directory listed in the path statement plus your current working directory are searched for the command to be run.

The "file dump" filter may also be named simply "Dump" under the "directshow" filter section. Have a look, I believe it should already be there!

Starting with a blank slate - (File/New) - Click "graph" / "Insert Filter" - scroll to the bottom till you see the "WDM" devices - there are quite a few.

Your interested in 3 of them:

Hauppauge HD PVR Crossbar
Hauppauge HD PVR Encoder
Hauppauge HD PVR Capture Device

It matters not which exact one or under which heading you find them (and they may well have different exact names - I'm not looking at my own filters - the device is at work and I'm at home so I cant read you the exact names. Add those three.

Starting with the Crossbar

Connect the right side "Video" pin (I think its "Analog video") - to the left side "video" pin of the "Capture device". They should turn an orangeish red. Now do the same for the audio pins.

Next connect from "Capture Device" *right* side video pin to "Encoder" left side video pin. Do the same for audio.

Now - You should have a string of 3 of these with the right side last pin from encoder showing "H264". Thats the h.264 output (its actually an MPEG-2 h.264 encoded Transport Stream) that comes into your computer over USB. You can do with it what you like.

Windows treats it as a stream - so you can redirect this stream in a couple different ways:

1. You can display it
2. You can write it directly to disk
3. You can stream it out over the network
4. You can do any combo of the above three using a splitter filter
5. Many other things I've not thought of.

1. To display it requires 3 things - 1. A "demultiplexer" compatible with the mpeg-2 stream. 2. A Video decoder compatible with the AVC/h.264 video. 3. An Audio decoder compatible with the AAC stream.

Microsoft "MPEG-2 Demultiplexer" is included with Windows XP+ and is "supposed" to work - with some editing. Elecard's "MPEG Push Demultiplexer" works out of the box and when connected to the h264 then provides separate video and audio pins. The Microsoft version requires that you make the pins yourself, define the PIDS, map them to the new pins. I've not been succesful with that myself. Elecards works better, but is not free.

CoreAVC works fine to decode, but doesn't use hardware features (DXVA). Elecard's h.264/AVC decoder also doesn't seem to use hardware, as well as having limited de-interlacing capability.

Intervideo Audio Decoder works - as well as Elecards' AAC decoder. I've yet to find a free AAC decoder that works besides the included arcsoft stuff.

Nvidia's Purevideo doesn't seem to like the output from either demultiplexer, but it does play the recorded transport streams very very well with DXVA. I'm unsure of the problem.

2. To simply record it: Insert the "Dump" or "File Dump" filter - found under the massive "Directshow filters" section. Define the file where you want to save. Connect the h264 pin to the file dump filter. Click Play at the top - and your saving to disk!

3. To stream it - Well I've spent weeks now perfecting it - but lets just say you need an appropriate Directshow filter - pretend the file dump filter is a network streaming filter and you get the jist of it. The secret is to set up the client computer with all the decoder stuff you need. It works very well.
post #2370 of 5201 Old 08-14-2008, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, I'm doing something wrong with Arogan's rcTVCap program, I've built the grapsh regsvr32'ed the two files, and built the graph, the graph works because I can play the graph and it creates a recording.

But I don't understand the the command line, I don't understand the "Dump" parameter:

I run the command from the directory that rcTVCap is in:
rcTVCap ..\
cTVCap.GRF "Dump" 180 TestCap.ts

and it responds with a big old error and terminates:
ERROR: Couldn't find dump filter in filter graph: Dump

I do not understand where the name Dump comes from, or whatever, I need some guidance and understanding on how to set it in the graph.

Edit: I got it working, I was using the Dump filter and I guess it needed to use the File Dump filter, it's capturing right now and it worked just like advertised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page