Hauppauge WinTV HD PVR (H.264) screenshot - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #2461 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just wondering....anything new with the digital optical firmware?

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Supposedly 5.1 is coming "soon".

I know, I know. We are due for a driver update though, aren't we?
post #2463 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 07:53 AM
E39

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom View Post

Whoa! indeed. E39 said he could not skip, pause, etc. Don't get excited about that until and unless you have such a problem (and BTW, I don't).

So you don't have to change it from SIMPLE GOP NO IDR to just SIMPLE GOP?

What video player do you use to watch? I'm using CoreAVC & Zoom/MPC/VLC. All three exhibit the same problem when it's set to NO IDR.

Did you create your own playback graph?

Thanks

post #2464 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by E39 View Post

Here is a section from neuron2's DGAVCIndex help file that discusses the seekable I-Frame:
Quote:

Some streams (such as those generated by Hauppage's HD PVR with default configuration) do not contain IDR frames, but instead contain seekable I frames. Normally, seekable I frames are signalled by recovery point SEI messages, but this is not required by the AVC standard. For streams with no IDRs but having seekable I frames not signalled by SEIs, you can enable the Treat I as IDR option to allow the streams to be properly handled by DGAVCDec.

This option should not be enabled unless you know that the stream requires it for proper handling. It is known to be required currently for the Hauppage streams (unless a Graphedit hack is done to enable IDR generation).

This option setting is stored in the INI file and so is retained across DGAVCIndex invocations.

http://neuron2.net/dgavcdec/DGAVCInd...ml#TreatIasIDR

Edit: In case it's not clear, in the above when he states enable theTreat I as IDR, he is referring to the DGAVCIndex program, I don't think there is any setting in any of the players like that.
post #2465 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 08:32 AM
E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Here is a section from neuron2's DGAVCIndex help file that discusses the seekable I-Frame:

http://neuron2.net/dgavcdec/DGAVCInd...ml#TreatIasIDR

Edit: In case it's not clear, in the above when he states enable theTreat I as IDR, he is referring to the DGAVCIndex program, I don't think there is any setting in any of the players like that.

Thanks rebkell.

Do I understand this program correctly in that it will take a TS file from the HDPVR and create a brand new file with the indexes?

Or can it be 'slipstreamed' and used alongside a video player to provide the seekability?
post #2466 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks rebkell.

Do I understand this program correctly in that it will take a TS file from the HDPVR and create a brand new file with the indexes?

Or can it be 'slipstreamed' and used alongside a video player to provide the seekability?

No, at least I don't think so, it will create an index file, which can be used with another program he wrote to serve frames to avisynth, which is normally used for encoding with x264, xvid, and other misc encoders. If you've ever encoded any DVDs, you probably used DGIndex, which is neuron2's Indexer for Mpeg2 streams. DGAVCIndex will demux audio and video, but I think it's a pure extraction, nothing else.
post #2467 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 09:04 AM
E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

No, at least I don't think so, it will create an index file, which can be used with another program he wrote to serve frames to avisynth, which is normally used for encoding with x264, xvid, and other misc encoders. If you've ever encoded any DVDs, you probably used DGIndex, which is neuron2's Indexer for Mpeg2 streams. DGAVCIndex will demux audio and video, but I think it's a pure extraction, nothing else.

Gotchya. I have HTPC delivery throughout the abode so I don't have to re-encode or do anything like that. I take the raw output from the HDPVR and play that.

Sounds like I still need to set the SIMPLE GOP setting.

Thanks
post #2468 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnj View Post

If you capture other than the default settings then TME will re-encode the whole captured footage when making an AVCHD DVD disc. TME will always forces a re-encode of the entire file, if you have used the "Cutting Room" to edit the captured footage.

At the moment I capture with defalut setting & do not edit what is captured. 1 hour of capture just about fills a 4.7 GB DVD. Fantastic quality. Hauppauge HD PVR is a great product & hope that TME will also be the same soon when the bugs are fixed.

Here is the reply to problem from Arcsoft.

Thank you for contacting ArcSoft.

Regarding your issue, the smart rendering engine only works for the TS file with default settings without any cutting. Smart Render means that TM Studio will not encode the video, and you will get smaller file size with faster speed. If there is any cutting/editing, TM Studio will re-encode the video file, and the re-encoded file will be bigger than the original one.

We are in the process of improving this feature, but unfortunately we cannot provide you with a specific release date.

We hope this helps answer your question. Please feel free to contact us if there is any other question. Your information will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,
ArcSoft Support

I have gotten TME to NOT re-encode by using "varible bitrate" and the slider all the way up to the max, since i was using a DL disc and had the room on the disc. These were not default capture settings, and it did not re-encode. This was off ESPNHD, 720p.

I haven't done any capturing since the start of summer, I'm waiting for 5.1 support.
post #2469 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

I have gotten TME to NOT re-encode by using "varible bitrate" and the slider all the way up to the max, since i was using a DL disc and had the room on the disc. These were not default capture settings, and it did not re-encode. This was off ESPNHD, 720p.

I haven't done any capturing since the start of summer, I'm waiting for 5.1 support.

I took default to mean, you didn't do anything to the file, like cutting or editing any portions of it. That was my take.
post #2470 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 12:39 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Whoa! indeed. E39 said he could not skip, pause, etc. Don't get excited about that until and unless you have such a problem (and BTW, I don't).

In my testing the seek problems was only an issue with COREAVC. As in if you use coreavc to decode it won't seek properly without changing to simple gop.

If you use another codec: ffdshow, powerdvd then seek works fine regardless of the gop setting. But I like coreavc (bought pro) so I choose to record setting to simple gop. Who knows if the problem lies with hauppauge or coreavc.

I did send coreavc support a sample like over a month ago and never heard back from them.

I'll probably not mess with rcTVCap anymore until the 5.1 drivers are out. I'm sure I'll probably have to be back in the code at that time anyways.

the_tom, hook me up with any interface information if you hear back from Hauppauge.
post #2471 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Same here. I didn't go through all this to record with 2 channels! The Fall season is coming up very soon, and if I still can't record in 5.1, I'm going to seriously reconsider the value of the whole process.
post #2472 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I also use variable bit rate captures (using different averages) and cut with h.264 Cutter. TME does not re-encode when creating an AVCHD. It takes about 45 minutes for a single layer disk on my Quad core 6600 with 3GB RAM.
post #2473 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARogan View Post

In my testing the seek problems was only an issue with COREAVC. As in if you use coreavc to decode it won't seek properly without changing to simple gop.

I don't think it's that simple. I'm using CoreAVC now and I don't have the problem with any files that I record with any settings. It's baffling.
post #2474 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnj View Post

Here is the reply to problem from Arcsoft.

Thank you for contacting ArcSoft.

Regarding your issue, the smart rendering engine only works for the TS file with default settings without any cutting. Smart Render means that TM Studio will not encode the video, and you will get smaller file size with faster speed. If there is any cutting/editing, TM Studio will re-encode the video file, and the re-encoded file will be bigger than the original one.

We are in the process of improving this feature, but unfortunately we cannot provide you with a specific release date...

That was well done! A user's "problem" is a supplier's "feature". But very useful to have stated almost straight out.
post #2475 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:

What video player do you use to watch? I'm using CoreAVC & Zoom/MPC/VLC. All three exhibit the same problem when it's set to NO IDR.

Did you create your own playback graph?

Thanks

For the most part, I playback through PS3, as reformatted under control of my H1R sw, doc'ed and offered free previously in this thread.
post #2476 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARogan View Post

...hook me up with any interface information if you hear back from Hauppauge.

Good news, bad news, uncertain news....

Haup said, in effect, yes that will work, yes we will support you doing it, but sorry we don't have the info in a format we can provide right now, but probably in about 6 weeks. Which is IMO a completely reasonable response, although it does not help in the short term.

As it happens, I took a hike this AM and brooded on this problem, then came home and asked my awesome cat K2 "how can I prune the search space and find the property set GUIDs for these filters?", and of course he had the answer immediately, because any cat knows everything, if you only know enough to ask.

So. I will be probing the property ids shortly, but for the impatient I now report, the following property set GUIDS are supported by HDPVR DS filters:

HDPVR Capture Device

c6e13350-30ac-11d0-a18c-00a0c9118956 (which seems to be known as PROPSETID_VIDCAP_VIDEODECODER)

HDPVR Encoder

49cc4c43-ca83-4ad4-a9af-f3696af666df (which seems to be known as ENCAPIPARAM_BITRATE)
703f16a9-3d48-44a1-b077-018dff915d19 (which seems to be known as ENCAPIPARAM_PEAK_BITRATE)
ee5fb25c-c713-40d1-9d58-c0d7241e250f (which seems to be known as ENCAPIPARAM_BITRATE_MODE)

allowing that there could be others not discovered by the method I used.
post #2477 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Haup said, in effect, yes that will work, yes we will support you doing it, but sorry we don't have the info in a format we can provide right now, but probably in about 6 weeks. Which is IMO a completely reasonable response, although it does not help in the short term.

Translation: We have no idea what you're talking about. But it sounds like a good idea to have you writing software for us for free. Our agreement with Amberalla allows us to ask them questions and they have 30 days to get back to us. It will take us a week to figure out how to ask the questions and a week to figure out how to reply. So it will take six weeks.
post #2478 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 07:02 PM
E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wokwokabc View Post

Translation: We have no idea what you're talking about. But it sounds like a good idea to have you writing software for us for free. Our agreement with Amberalla allows us to ask them questions and they have 30 days to get back to us. It will take us a week to figure out how to ask the questions and a week to figure out how to reply. So it will take six weeks.

Awesome, awesome stuff. Thanks for the chuckle...
post #2479 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:

Yes, but I'm not sure exactly what causes it. I originally had similar issues and somehow it went away. Some things to try:

In MPC go to Video -> Options -> Internal Filters and change the state of the MPEG PS/TS/PVA source filter. Exit the program and restart it.

Uninstall CoreAVC and Haali Media Splitter. Reinstall CoreAVC Pro (it should install a version of Haali).

Capture with GraphEdit and the graph described here:
http://blog.arogan.com/2008/06/haupp...odel-1212.html
Be sure to select Simple GOP 4/32/128 before capturing.

Thanks for the advice. Upon further testing, I noticed any recordings done via Constant bitrate allowed me to use the MPC progress bar, as well as view the file properly in H264TS Cutter. My earlier test files were Variable Average bitrate.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling CoreAVC but the same issue for VBR TS files.

I'll try to capture with GraphEdit and see how it goes. I noticed the preview application uses a lot of processing power with my machine (Which might explain the random jitters in many of my recordings).
post #2480 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:

...allowing that there could be others not discovered by the method I used.

Continuing the search, I find that the encoder also supports a property set guid bab32c5e-78ca-4f24-a3c6-50bbfc9408b7 which does not seem to have any well-known name.

But, none of the ones I've found seem to support any property id other than 0, nor to report any value other than zero. So, I'm not sure if any of these are going to work; the "supported" return code might be an artifact of some inheritance and not meaningful.

I won't be able to dig any further into this for a few days... maybe someone else will get somewhere with this info.
post #2481 of 5201 Old 08-19-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavean View Post

Hummm,.

Looks like newegg is selling the Hauppauge HD PVR. In the pix they seemed to have sprung to print the name of the product on it as well as the Hauppauge name. Probably not a new revision though. Packaging looks retail too. My HD PVR came in a basic white box:

My newegg purchased HD PVR came in today. Rev C2, retail box.
post #2482 of 5201 Old 08-20-2008, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8shun View Post

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling CoreAVC but the same issue for VBR TS files.

Did you install Haali Media Splitter too? That is the more likely cause of the problem. You should uninstall both CoreAVC and Haali, then install the latest CoreAVC Pro (which includes a version of Haali) to make sure you have compatible versions of both.
post #2483 of 5201 Old 08-20-2008, 06:40 AM

I know there have been some issues with this unit in the past according to others, and I was wondering if it would be smarter to order one from the source Hauppauge website in order to get the very latest version, or would it be safe to order from somewhere like Amazon, which has it for quite a bit cheaper.
post #2484 of 5201 Old 08-20-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Did you install Haali Media Splitter too? That is the more likely cause of the problem. You should uninstall both CoreAVC and Haali, then install the latest CoreAVC Pro (which includes a version of Haali) to make sure you have compatible versions of both.

I guess I should have been more clear, but yep, I uninstalled both CoreAVC and Haali, then reinstalled CoreAVC. No dice for VBR TS files. Assuming I need to cut stuff, it looks like I'm going to have to use Constant bitrate with the HD-PVR.

Perhaps this is quite the noobish question, is there any general information on encoding video using Variable Bitrate or Constant Bitrate in terms of final quality? I've only found a couple of forum posts on VideoHelp via a Google search.
post #2485 of 5201 Old 08-20-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:

HDPVR Encoder

49cc4c43-ca83-4ad4-a9af-f3696af666df (which seems to be known as ENCAPIPARAM_BITRATE)
703f16a9-3d48-44a1-b077-018dff915d19 (which seems to be known as ENCAPIPARAM_PEAK_BITRATE)
ee5fb25c-c713-40d1-9d58-c0d7241e250f (which seems to be known as ENCAPIPARAM_BITRATE_MODE)...

So I found a few minutes to dig a little deeper. It appears that these three prop sets actually work, and the names I found are appropriate (I didn't have a video input turned on when I tried before and got all zero values back). I find that when I "get" the values they correspond to the ones shown on the filter property page dialog, and when I "set" one to a different value, the filter dialog shows the new value that I set.
  • Each propertyset appears to have only one property, with a property id of 0.
  • Each property has a 32 bit integer as a value (which can be get or set).
  • propertyset 49cc4c43-ca83-4ad4-a9af-f3696af666df property 0 is the average bitrate, e.g. the default value is 9000000
  • propertyset 03f16a9-3d48-44a1-b077-018dff915d19 property 0 is the peak bitrate, e.g. the default value is 13500000
  • propertyset ee5fb25c-c713-40d1-9d58-c0d7241e250f property 0 is the bit rate mode, 0 = constant, 1 = variable average, 2 = variable peak.
Here's a function for setting one, in vb.net using the directshow.net library, which anyone may feel free to copy, use, translate to C#, etc.

Code:
    Function setFiltProp(ByVal filtName As String, ByVal guid As Guid, ByVal propid As Integer, ByVal propval As Integer) As Boolean
        Dim val As IntPtr = Marshal.AllocHGlobal(4)
        Try
            ' Note gb is a member variable define as follows, and previously loaded in another method
            ' Dim gb As IGraphBuilder = New FilterGraph
            Dim ibf As IBaseFilter = FilterGraphTools.FindFilterByName(gb, filtName)
            Dim ips As IKsPropertySet = CType(ibf, IKsPropertySet)
            Dim hr As Integer = 0
            Dim pva(0) As Integer ' there sb a better way, but it needs an array in Copy()....
            pva(0) = propval
            Marshal.Copy(pva, 0, val, 1)
            hr = ips.Set(guid, propid, IntPtr.Zero, 0, val, 4)
            Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(hr)
            Return True
        Catch ex As Exception
            Me.mLastEx = ex
            Return False
        Finally
            Marshal.FreeHGlobal(val)
        End Try
    End Function
post #2486 of 5201 Old 08-20-2008, 10:05 AM
E39

Quote:

Here's a function for setting one, in vb.net using the directshow.net library, which anyone may feel free to copy, use, translate to C#, etc.

Excellent stuff, thank you very much!
post #2487 of 5201 Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet34 View Post

I also use variable bit rate captures (using different averages) and cut with h.264 Cutter. TME does not re-encode when creating an AVCHD. It takes about 45 minutes for a single layer disk on my Quad core 6600 with 3GB RAM.

What takes 45 mins? If you're taking about making an avchd disk then that sounds like a really long time....and you and I have the same processor.
post #2488 of 5201 Old 08-20-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

• Each propertyset appears to have only one property, with a property id of 0.
  • Each property has a 32 bit integer as a value (which can be get or set).
  • propertyset 49cc4c43-ca83-4ad4-a9af-f3696af666df property 0 is the average bitrate, e.g. the default value is 9000000
  • propertyset 03f16a9-3d48-44a1-b077-018dff915d19 property 0 is the peak bitrate, e.g. the default value is 13500000
  • propertyset ee5fb25c-c713-40d1-9d58-c0d7241e250f property 0 is the bit rate mode, 0 = constant, 1 = variable average, 2 = variable peak.

Quick (untested) C# translation:
Code:
public bool setFiltProp(string filtName, Guid guid, int propid, int propval) 
{ 
    IntPtr val = Marshal.AllocHGlobal(4); 
    try { 
        // Note gb is a member variable defined as follows, and previously loaded in another method 
        // IGraphBuilder gb = New FilterGraph();
        IBaseFilter ibf = FilterGraphTools.FindFilterByName(gb, filtName); 
        IKsPropertySet ips = (IKsPropertySet)ibf; 
        int hr = 0; 
        int[] pva = new int[1]; 
        // there sb a better way, but it needs an array in Copy().... 
        pva[0] = propval; 
        Marshal.Copy(pva, 0, val, 1); 
        hr = ips.Set(guid, propid, IntPtr.Zero, 0, val, 4); 
        Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(hr); 
        return true; 
    } 
    catch (Exception ex) { 
        this.mLastEx = ex; 
        return false; 
    } 
    finally { 
        Marshal.FreeHGlobal(val); 
    } 
}
post #2489 of 5201 Old 08-20-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Quick (untested) C# translation:...

The only nits that I noticed were, you'll need [] instead of () on pva(0) =,
and the New in the comment would want to be new if someone was going to use it.

Also, for general info, as these apply to the encoder filter, the filtName to use is "Hauppauge HD PVR Encoder". So, altogther, a code snippet to call to this fn in C# would look something like

Code:
string fn = "Hauppauge HD PVR Encoder";
Guid encoderModeGuid = new Guid("ee5fb25c-c713-40d1-9d58-c0d7241e250f");
bool rc = setFiltProp(fn, encoderModeGuid, 0, 2); // set to variable peak
if (!rc)
{
    // log or complain about the error
}
post #2490 of 5201 Old 08-20-2008, 12:11 PM
E39

Whenever I need to translate between VB & C#, I use this site. There a few things it has trouble with when going between the two (like not wiring up events on the C# side of things), but all in all it does a great first pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page