New HD DD/DTS with Analog Out from Sound Card? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-11-2008, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 5.1 surround sound system that does NOT support the new Blu-Ray HD audio formats (DD TrueHD/DTS live/whatever). Right now, I use an S/PDIF connection from an Audigy 2 ZS and send DD or DTS to my receiver, which decodes it and powers my 5.1 speakers. What I want to know is this: is it possible to purchase a sound card - now OR in the near future - that will decode DD HD/DTS Live (whatever it's called) and send this over ANALOG out? The reason being that my receiver will amp any analog signal I send it, but it can't decode the new formats, so I am hoping to just buy a new sound card and let the sound card do the decoding and use analog out.

Is this possible? I am concerned that it will be treated like Blu-Ray video - i.e. using HDCP source (the PC) AND an HDCP viewer (the HDTV LCD).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-11-2008, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Specifically, these comments from Cyberlink CEO WORRY me:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=256

All of that 'encrypted' crap - will a PC sound card EVER be able to output full-quality analog sound from Blu-Ray?
post #3 of 4 Old 04-11-2008, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaedrusGalt View Post

I have a 5.1 surround sound system that does NOT support the new Blu-Ray HD audio formats (DD TrueHD/DTS live/whatever). Right now, I use an S/PDIF connection from an Audigy 2 ZS and send DD or DTS to my receiver, which decodes it and powers my 5.1 speakers. What I want to know is this: is it possible to purchase a sound card - now OR in the near future - that will decode DD HD/DTS Live (whatever it's called) and send this over ANALOG out?

I doubt you'll see a soundcard that decodes anything, that will be up to the software you use for playback. As for today, pretty much any soundcard will output decoded Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, if the player will pass it. PowerDVD 8 will decode both.

Quote:
The reason being that my receiver will amp any analog signal I send it, but it can't decode the new formats, so I am hoping to just buy a new sound card and let the sound card do the decoding and use analog out.

Is this possible? I am concerned that it will be treated like Blu-Ray video - i.e. using HDCP source (the PC) AND an HDCP viewer (the HDTV LCD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaedrusGalt View Post

Specifically, these comments from Cyberlink CEO WORRY me:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=256

All of that 'encrypted' crap - will a PC sound card EVER be able to output full-quality analog sound from Blu-Ray?

It should be theoretically possible, standalone players can output "full quality" analog, so provided a secure path (and it sounds like Cyberlink is working with Asus/Auzentek on that) you should get "full quality" even over analog.

Now that said, onto my soapbox. I see a lot of threads/posts parroting the "PowerDVD downconverts audio, you can't get 'true' HD audio". Now if you look into it you'll find that PowerDVD caps audio output at 16-bit/48kHz per AACS rules. The part you don't find mentioned/acknowledged much is that it's very rare to find soundtracks that are really affected by that. It's all but unheard of to find a soundtrack with a sample rate >48kHz, and most movie soundtracks are at best 20bit. So you're not really losing anything with the 16bit/48kHz limit imposed by AACS and enforced by PowerDVD. Yes it will be nice to be able to get output without being limited, but the whole issue has been blown way out of proportion.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #4 of 4 Old 04-12-2008, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't know that about 16/48. I guess I won't worry about it.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page