Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2010, 02:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoCoolJ View Post

Don't say that anywhere near your wife. Mine heard me talking to myself about not having enough CPU to do the the motion enhancement and 2160x1440 spline re-size at the same time. She said, "Didn't you just buy that computer?" I said, "Yea but this is just a CPU. It's only a part in there. I can change those!" To which, she replied, "How come you can do anything to a computer but my dishwasher has been leaking for a year?" So then, I said, "You don't tell me what to do woman! I am going to LOWES to get you a new dishwasher whether you like it or not!" So now, I have a brand new dishwasher that doesn't at all look like an i7. Cleans dishes like a mug though.

That story is 99.9% true. The part where I called my wife "woman" that didn't happen. I wouldn't likely be alive to tell the story if it had.

I would like to see my wife getting away with sneaking in a new dish washer..!
If I come home with a new CPU/GPU, I just say "well I was running out of money, so had to sell my old one, my fiend was good enough to lend me his"... oh, and my wife is a great dish washer. I did see some small visual artefacts once, on one of the plates, did think about an upgrade at the time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 AM

Check this out! CPU+GPU=Awesome

- Motion² - 24p to 60p conversion
- Advanced Deinterlacing
- 1080i to 1080p conversion
- SD2HD Superscaling
- Video Decoding Hardware Acceleration
(H.264, MPEG-2, VC-1)
- Multicore CPU Support
- Lipsync Adjustment
++++++++

Release in april 2010

http://www.mirillis.com
Old 03-22-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompa2009 View Post

Check this out! CPU+GPU=Awesome

- Motion² - 24p to 60p conversion
- Advanced Deinterlacing
- 1080i to 1080p conversion
- SD2HD Superscaling
- Video Decoding Hardware Acceleration
(H.264, MPEG-2, VC-1)
- Multicore CPU Support
- Lipsync Adjustment
++++++++

Release in april 2010

http://www.mirillis.com

Awesome indeed, hope its not just cheap trick, as with PowerDVD 10.

I hear that a typical GPU has 10x the power of a typical CPU. If these guys at http://www.mirillis.com are allowing that power to be put to good use, then we should see some good mainstream player/post processing software.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz2010 View Post

Awesome indeed, hope its not just cheap trick, as with PowerDVD 10.

I hear that a typical GPU has 10x the power of a typical CPU. If these guys at http://www.mirillis.com are allowing that power to be put to good use, then we should see some good mainstream player/post processing software.

From my limited knowledge and forgive my ignorance if I am wrong which I may well be, I'm thinking splash will be using the GPU for video decoding similar to CoreAVC, but with more implementations such as various MPEGs and Blu-ray, but somehow no support for other codecs... The CPU will be used probably with their own proprietary algorithm for image upscaling and motion interpolation. We'll see how it compares to the scripts we are seeing on this thread. I'm certainly looking forward to this.

Anyone skilled enough to wrap coreavc, avisynth with a script in this into one universal software player? Just a thought for media noobs out there not making use of their $1000 pc.

Just my two cents.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:42 AM

Liked: 11
Agreed, If Merilli's Splash Player will have upscaling, interpolation something
better than what we have with avisynth, then the only drawback will be
that it cannot use external codecs. I have to edit the 5.1 sound output
through AC3, I don't know how is it going to be with this one.

PS.
I have changed the final script a bit, also added the instruction of smoothness.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=245

If you play compressed or uncompressed video and still have no artifacts, you can increase smoothness by increasing searchparam=1 to 2 or 3.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:46 PM

Man I hope their 'planned' version of splash for Mac OS X is good. Currently I have to boot camp just to watch a friggin' video. As far as I know this, if it ever gets made, will be the first and only motion interpolation software on the Mac.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widezu69 View Post

Man I hope their 'planned' version of splash for Mac OS X is good. Currently I have to boot camp just to watch a friggin' video. As far as I know this, if it ever gets made, will be the first and only motion interpolation software on the Mac.

a Mac.!

you best leave that to just looking good on the table.. and turn the PC on.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz2010 View Post

a Mac.!

you best leave that to just looking good on the table.. and turn the PC on.

Yeah I know, I know. Still I use OS X for my photos and videos and lite dvd ripping (I know Handbrake is cross-platform but the 64 bit Snow Leopard version is blazing fast). I boot camp win7 x64 for Games and video playback. The screen is real nice to watch films on so why not make good use of it.

Anyway I deviate, what is the advantage of using mode=2 over mode=0 I know it applies masking which I have no idea what it is presumably reduces artifacting, but mode=0 is real smooth compared to mode=2.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:19 PM

Been trying out Mirillis' Lite version of their upcoming player, the speed is great and actually when I said about lack of codecs, I played a xvid avi file using it and it played fine. THere was no hardware acceleration but I was not expecting any anyway.
I look forward to seeing what Splash Pro can produce.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:39 AM

Hey, guys. Have you tested the new x64 versions of Avisynth and MVTools? A member from Doom9.org forum did the port from the x86 versions, and I can say that x64 versions now give us around 30% more performance! In fact, it's a working in progress, but there are usable versions that can be downloaded. But remember: in order to get everything working, you'll have to use x64 versions of FFDShow and MPC too. If you experience problems with WMV or MOV videos, take a look at this.

Here's the link: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152800

Hope you enjoy.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerue View Post

Hey, guys. Have you tested the new x64 versions of Avisynth and MVTools? I can say that x64 versions now give us around 30% more performance!

are you sure? did you make a test with same script in 32 and 64 machines? same script provides you an increase of 30% of fps?

A heavy cpu load script consume less cpu in 64bits?

plz let us now... There are lot of placebo effect with 64bits

The only thing for sure is that 64 works when you need >3Gb.. but I dont know nothing about more performance or less cpu usage
Old 04-01-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travolter View Post

are you sure? did you make a test with same script in 32 and 64 machines? same script provides you an increase of 30% of fps?

A heavy cpu load script consume less cpu in 64bits?

plz let us now... There are lot of placebo effect with 64bits

The only thing for sure is that 64 works when you need >3Gb.. but I dont know nothing about more performance or less cpu usage

Yeah, I'm sure. The worst case gave me 20% more performance. The thing is that the x64 version was compiled with SSE2/3/4 instructions, plus the normal bigger registers that exists inside a x64 CPU. Besides that, there're some general optimizations in the code. Look at the changelog in the link I mentioned above. And if you're skeptical, give it a try.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:43 AM

ok Ill give this 64 version a try

Some questions:
1)Plz can you define what is 20% performance?

-20% less of cpu to so same task?
-same cpu usage and an increase of 20% in fps?

2)About the frameratedoubling script....what performance boost you notice from 32 to 64? less cpu usage.. more fps?
3)Works with XP64? (I hate vista/7)

I want to be sure about what results I should obtain when doing the tests ok... because 64bits needs all programs/plugins working 64 and I bet that its easy to load a bad codec program/plugin that ruins the 64bits processing chain
Old 04-02-2010, 03:12 AM

Hi!

I tried the x64 drivers, player and plug-ins. But now i have a inverted image.

Like this:

Anyone know what causes the invert?
Old 04-02-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travolter View Post

ok Ill give this 64 version a try

Some questions:
1)Plz can you define what is 20% performance?

-20% less of cpu to so same task?
-same cpu usage and an increase of 20% in fps?

Sorry. I wasn't clear enough in my last messages. When I said 20-30% more performance I meant 20-30% less CPU to do the same task. And, yeah, it works with XP x64; I don't like Vista/Seven neither.

Keep in mind that x64 decoders are not fully implemented yet, so you'll probably face some problems. For example, I didn't find any QuickTime plugin compiled for x64 arquiteture, so most of .MOV files can't run. But the good thing is that you can have both x64 and x86 player/decoders/avisynth/plugins living together and running at the same time without any problem.

tompa2009, I don't have a clue about what's causing the inverted images. Have you tried to Google it? In last case, search/ask for an answer at Doom9.org forum.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Hi!

I tried the x64 drivers, player and plug-ins. But now i have a inverted image.

Like this:

Anyone know what causes the invert?

Maybe resizing. However, I've seen this problem on others with these
x64 plug-ins. Hopefully it's just a temporal bug.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:22 PM

Maybe tompa2009 should try to install the latest x64 versions of MPC-HC and FFDShow here:

http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player...inema-x86-x64/
http://www.xvidvideo.ru/ffdshow-tryo...oject-x86-x64/
Old 04-03-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerue View Post

Maybe tompa2009 should try to install the latest x64 versions of MPC-HC and FFDShow here:

http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player...inema-x86-x64/
http://www.xvidvideo.ru/ffdshow-tryo...oject-x86-x64/

Yea, thank you for all the suggestions. I have tried the above links with no luck. At least not with the MPC project. It crashes instantly!

But anyhow. I fixed the problem. Just un-installed everything. I got x64 to work but with big rectangular artifacts or something.

I got a new problem now. Back to 32bit, but now the divx is getting blueish when using FFdShow. A problem i had before but never really known why.

Any good ideas??

Another thing. I see some of you uses "SetMTMode(3,16)" Why 3,16? 3,8 is quad right? Thou i know intel i7 got 8 cores, theoretical.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Yea, thank you for all the suggestions. I have tried the above links with no luck. At least not with the MPC project. It crashes instantly!

But anyhow. I fixed the problem. Just un-installed everything. I got x64 to work but with big rectangular artifacts or something.

Weird. What's your OS?

Quote:

I got a new problem now. Back to 32bit, but now the divx is getting blueish when using FFdShow. A problem i had before but never really known why.

Any good ideas??

No good ideas. But could you provide a SS showing the filters that MPC uses when it's running a problematic video? To do that, click with the right mouse button in the video when it's running.

Quote:

Another thing. I see some of you uses "SetMTMode(3,16)" Why 3,16? 3,8 is quad right? Thou i know intel i7 got 8 cores, theoretical.

You should multiply CPU threads by 1.5. So, with a dual-core you should use 3. With a quad-core, 6. And with a i7 (8 threads), 12.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:16 AM

Thanks you for the quick response Delerue.

Its not divx that messes up its: Video: WVC1 : Filter: WMVideo Decoder DMO

And im using Windows 7 x64.

I have Intel i7, if i understood you right, should i use the following: 3,12? Im not sure witch number means what.. Or is it 8,12 maybe?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks you for the quick response Delerue.

Its not divx that messes up its: Video: WVC1 : Filter: WMVideo Decoder DMO

I see. Can you provide a sample of some video?

Quote:

And im using Windows 7 x64.

Seven x64 comes with WMP 12 x86 and x64 decoders. I have tested it through a VM machine and WMV3 videos work flawlessly.

Quote:

I have Intel i7, if i understood you right, should i use the following: 3,12? Im not sure witch number means what.. Or is it 8,12 maybe?

The first number is the performance/compatibility value; the less the better (i.e. faster), and higher value means more compatible. The second is the thread number that will be generated. I'm not quite sure why you should multiply CPU threads by 1.5 to get the optimal performance, but I read this from a developer at Doom9.org and I believed, hehehe. See here for more information (the documentation is pretty old and maybe is a little outdated). I read it right now just to check and, well, it says that '0' is the magic number that detects the actual number of CPU threads. The funny thing is that using '0' you get A LOT more threads and memory usage than using '12' (i.e. CPU threads * 1.5), and '0' doesn't seem to improve the performance. I have no fµcking idea why
Old 04-04-2010, 02:44 PM

Hi Delerue,
Can you give the exact post where the developer writes about CPU threads?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:45 PM

I'm wondering how to use this with interlaced sources. It works flawlessly with all formats except those which are interlaced (dvd, vob, and .ts streams). In order to get MPC to use smooth video playback for MPEG2, I have to set ffdshow codec for MPEG2 to "libavcodec" or "libmpeg2" instead of "disabled". But in both these modes, there are huge amounts of interlacing artifacts (horisontal lines). Is there any way to make ffdshow deinterlace it before it uses the smoothing effect? I would prefer a solution where this is only done to these sources, so that a deinterlacing filter is not used for non-interlaced sources as well.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domas4 View Post

Hi Delerue,
Can you give the exact post where the developer writes about CPU threads?

I'm searching and hope soon I'll bring the link to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_arab View Post

I'm wondering how to use this with interlaced sources. It works flawlessly with all formats except those which are interlaced (dvd, vob, and .ts streams). In order to get MPC to use smooth video playback for MPEG2, I have to set ffdshow codec for MPEG2 to "libavcodec" or "libmpeg2" instead of "disabled". But in both these modes, there are huge amounts of interlacing artifacts (horisontal lines). Is there any way to make ffdshow deinterlace it before it uses the smoothing effect? I would prefer a solution where this is only done to these sources, so that a deinterlacing filter is not used for non-interlaced sources as well.

Choose 'libmpeg2', it's better. Don't forget to check 'DVD decoding' and to uncheck MPC mpeg2 filter. About the interlaced videos, yes, there's a very good solution: FFDShow comes with a deinterlacing extension that only runs when it detects a interlaced video (of course sometimes you find videos with a wrong flag, but it's uncommon). Just check it and put it before avisynth extension in order to deinterlace videos before doubling the FPS with avisynth plugin. I prefer to use 'yadif' method, because it gives the better output (i.e. less artifact). See:

Old 04-04-2010, 08:43 PM

Ok, thanks a lot for the explanation, I did got it to work, but not as a permanent solution. I'm using the package "Smooth Video Pack", because I never was able to make it work without it (and I quite like the GUI options it gives). The problem is that ffdshow settings (avisynth, resize etc) are all unchecked both as default and when playing video using this package (though the effect is still in action). That makes it impossible for me to actually save the deinterlace setting. I had to enable it while playing, and it worked, but it was gone again when playing the next video file.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_arab View Post

Ok, thanks a lot for the explanation, I did got it to work, but not as a permanent solution. I'm using the package "Smooth Video Pack", because I never was able to make it work without it (and I quite like the GUI options it gives). The problem is that ffdshow settings (avisynth, resize etc) are all unchecked both as default and when playing video using this package (though the effect is still in action). That makes it impossible for me to actually save the deinterlace setting. I had to enable it while playing, and it worked, but it was gone again when playing the next video file.

And if you try to open FFDShow configuration (without any video running) and configure it the way you want? Try to open this dialog by executing this:

1- x86 system:
Code:
C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\
undll32.exe "C:\\Program Files\\ffdshow\\ffdshow.ax",configure
2- x64 system with x64 FFDShow:
Code:
C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\
undll32.exe "C:\\Program Files\\ffdshow\\ffdshow.ax",configure
3- x64 system with x86 FFDShow:
Code:
C:\\WINDOWS\\syswow64\
undll32.exe "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ffdshow\\ffdshow.ax",configure

If it doesn't work, maybe it's time to think about using FFDShow + MVTools alone (without 'SVP'); it's not difficult, I can guarantee.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:03 AM

Domas4, I didn't find that specific post, but I found these:

The man who is porting Avisynth and MVTools to x64 plataform:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...48#post1382948

Read the quotes:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...186#post965186

Last one:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...33#post1014133

The weird thing is that recent Avisynth doesn't use CPU threads * 1.5x formula when you set '0' in the thread parameter. Here, with a i7 (8 threads), '0' gives me 18 threads*. But, as discussed in the links above, '0' isn't necessarily the most optimized result, just enough. In my experience I can say that CPU threads * 1.5x formula is the minimal in order to hit 100% of CPU usage if a heavy video is loaded. Less never hits 100%. And more doesn't seem to improve performance anyhow, besides the waste of memory. What you think?

*edited: you can place this command in the end of the script and see over a running video what '0' parameter gets:

Code:
subtitle("Number of threads used: "+string(GetMTMode(true))+" Current MT Mode: "+string(GetMTMode()))
Old 04-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Hi all

Anyone know how to get subtitles working with these scripts ?

I am using media player classic ffdshow etc.

I am playing MKV's backed up from BR's. Subtitle files are embedded in the MKV's and selectable via media player classic, but they just dont work. It usually dont bother me, but watched 2013 last night & it was perfect apart from the missing subtitles.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:36 AM

Just go into mpc and select a renderer that has 2 stars meaning it will work with subtitles, or, select the subtitle tab in ffdshow. Remember to drag the tab near the bottom so avisynth is above it and therefore doesn't try and interpolate between the text.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:01 PM

Update: mirillis have released Motion2 samples on their website. The demos are impressive but only show single direction panning. Nothing demonstrating if it works well on a static background with objects moving across the screen in different directions at different speeds. Hm...we'll see