post #61 of 1968 Old 06-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazed View Post

ok i would like to build a new htpc, and use the scripts here for smoothing out 720p &1080 mkv files.

right now i have saved up about $700. if you guys had $700 set aside for a htpc, what would you build? what cpu/gpu? motherboard?

If you want to use the scripts posted here then you need a powerful CPU - I'd go with the C2D q6600 (overclocked) or the newer 45 watt Q9300 and wait a month (hopefully) for the G45 based motherboards to come out. If you can't wait then the Asus G35 would probably be the best best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1968 Old 07-18-2008, 03:14 AM

Liked: 10
Does anyone have any variation of this code that doens't lock my CPU at 100% on 1080p MKV? I have an E8400 / 4GB RAM / 9600GT.
720P averages about 50-60%.

Also besides the 1080p question - can this overlay or whatever be configured to convert Media Center signals? I have a HDTV tuner card and would like to watch TV in 'cinemotion'
post #63 of 1968 Old 08-01-2008, 11:18 AM

1080p Would take massive processing power. I have a 6750 c2d (2.66ghz) and it has a hard time with some 720p files

Have been tinkering with different scripts but haven't found a perfect one yet, any one else come up with something better?
post #64 of 1968 Old 08-18-2008, 03:55 AM

Hi guys, I tried all the settings you suggested here (thanks to 8.13, Bahn Yuki, Blazed etc...) both MVTools and motion.dll code but I think that WinDVD9 still does a better job expecially on fast scene (I only tested PAL material). But... I would prefer using ffdshow/avisynth with zoom player so go on searching for the best settings!
Thank you!
post #65 of 1968 Old 09-10-2008, 03:56 PM

Hi all. I've been using the Motion DLL mentioned earlier in the thread for the effect. I was just wondering how I would get 23.98 sped up to 60fps properly and also keep audio in sync? I've done the simple doubling to 47.96 and it's not too bad, but I'd still prefer 60fps. I'm guessing I'd need to apply pulldown as well to get it to 29.97 first?

Thanks
post #66 of 1968 Old 09-25-2008, 08:46 AM

Thanks Bahn Yuki, the script in your first post is great!
And is the only one that works flawlessy with 720p and my E2180@2.66GHz
Who said you need a quad core for HD processing ?
I apply NR, sharpness, and motionflow avisynth script in realtime to 720p HD with HUGE bitrates, and my OC E2180 is just great at that, no dropped frames, and enough power left for reclock and minor realtime audio processing....

Anyone here with an 8500 or 9300 clocked at 3.5 - 4GHz manage to process 1080p with sharpness, NR, and motionflow? Or it's just too early for that?

Again.....thanks! I re-discovered ffdshow......
post #67 of 1968 Old 10-16-2008, 04:09 AM

Thanks Bahn Yuki, I have been testing your script and I got it working on 1080p at 48fps. Looks absolutely mindblowing! The trick for the extra speed was to use Overlay Mixer as output in MPC. I have a q6600 @ 2.7ghz on vista and it takes about 80% cpu overall. These are the settings I use:

(back/ahead buffers are set on 0/12)
SetMtmode(2,12)
global idx1 = 10
global source=ffdshow_source()
source=changefps(source,source,true)
# assume progressive PAL 25 fps or NTSC Film 23.976 source
idx1 = idx1 + 1
backward_vec = source.MVAnalyse(blksize=16, isb = true, chroma=false, pel=1, searchparam=1, idx=idx1)
# we use explicit idx for more fast processing
forward_vec = source.MVAnalyse(blksize=16, isb = false, chroma=false, pel=1, searchparam=1, idx=idx1)
source.MVFlowFps(backward_vec, forward_vec, num=2*FramerateNumerator(source), den=FramerateDenominator(source), mask=0, idx=idx1)
distributor()

Your 24 threads setting made 1080p crash, worked fine on 720p though.

I can enable sharpen and grain at the same time. The problem is that subtitles seem to slow it down heavily. My question is if there is anyone who made this work properly with subtitles? Better filter? Better setting? Optimized script? Anything?
post #68 of 1968 Old 10-20-2008, 01:45 AM

I found the solution! BSPlayer free edition with ffdshow gives fluent results on both movies I was having problems with. I can now turn on all my favourite filters from ffdshow like sharpen, noise, subtitles and of course the avisynth frame doubling script.

Put bsplayer on internal overlay for video output. Check the preferences keyboard shortcuts for the little tweaks like pan-scan and moving the picture up and down. I tried mpc normal, mpc homecinema and zoom player, all without good results.
post #69 of 1968 Old 10-20-2008, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
Thanks concor, this BSPlayer really trims the CPU usage down. Playing a 1080p MKV file with the script you have gives me 41% CPU usage on my Q9450@3.2 Ghz!!!

Now to link this BSplayer to play Blu-Ray/Hd-DVDs straight off the discs with "Motionflow"!
post #70 of 1968 Old 10-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn Yuki View Post

Thanks concor, this BSPlayer really trims the CPU usage down. Playing a 1080p MKV file with the script you have gives me 41% CPU usage on my Q9450@3.2 Ghz!!!

Now to link this BSplayer to play Blu-Ray/Hd-DVDs straight off the discs with "Motionflow"!

so is configuring bsplayer very similiar to MPC? setting it up to use ffdshow and stuff like that is pretty simple?
post #71 of 1968 Old 11-02-2008, 01:46 AM

Good morning.

And the first time you use the MotionFlow and I did some tests

Since a less powerful processor, Intel E6750 dual @ 3200GHz, hoi used the following script

Code:
fps = 50
CombineFPS(fps, MotionFPS(fps, warpfast, move), MotionFPS(fps, source=next, warpfast, move))
As signal test for panning I used DVD "The Day After Tomorrow"

I got one "fluidity slippery" that struck me positively, the price of the artifacts are visible on the letters with background moving at the bottom of the screen.

This is the most difficult screen, the stars of the flag and the letters of writing are full of artifacts.

I do not know where you can take action to reduce these artifacts, since the problem is related processing algorithm> CPU

Or wonder if it can reduce / eliminate these artifacts acting on the script?

Thank you
post #72 of 1968 Old 12-01-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

MVTools really wasn't designed to be used in real-time and it's only because CPUs are so fast that we can do it, but with the settings on low.

Maybe some day when I can use MVTools with the highest settings and still be able to real-time "motion flow" the image, I'll perhaps use it all the time, 'cuz I do like smooth movement.

I'm glad to say that the new MVTools 2.x (or direct link to 2.2.2 version) is faster and can be used with more agressive settings in real-time, at least with a C2D @ 3.0 GHz running movies with 300k pixels (ex.: 640x464).

The script I use now is:

Code:
setMTMode(2,3)
source=ffdshow_source()
LoadPlugin("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\AviSynth\\plugins\\mvtools2.dll")
super = source.MVSuper(pel=1)
backward_vec = MVAnalyse(super, blksize=8, overlap=0, isb = true, search=3, searchparam=5)
forward_vec = MVAnalyse(super, blksize=8, overlap=0, isb = false, search=3, searchparam=5)
source.MVFlowFps(super, backward_vec, ThSCD1=350, blend=false, forward_vec, num=2*FramerateNumerator(source), \\
   den=FramerateDenominator(source))
distributor()
Note that 'blksize', 'search' and 'searchparam' are very agressive here, and it still works in real-time. There are some modifications in this new version, and new parameters, like 'blend=false', that doesn't blend (mix) frames at scene changes. The 'ThSCD1=350' parameter is a little tweak to better avoid some wrong scene change detection; I'm still working to find a better value, but at this moment I think that 350 is better than the default 400. Of course, you can set other values if you have a better (or worst) CPU; 'overlap', for example, can be set to 2 in order to improve the motion estimation, but it uses a little more CPU. Video card here doesn't make any difference (well, until someone port MVTools to CUDA, hehehe).

Also, I find out that MT.dll is not necessary (or, at least, no longer necessary). Just MT version of the Avisynth.dll is enough.

I discovered that in my case (a dual-core CPU) using more than 3 threads in the script cause some weird bugs. You can try this sample to see. Set, for example, 5 threads ( setMTMode(2,5) ), use MPC and hit the RIGHT_ARROW (to advance frame by frame) until you reach a scene change. You'll notice that in the new scene the car moves some frames, then it 'stops' for a while, and then it continues to move again (in fact what happened is a wrong frame repetition). With 3 threads this bug doesn't occour. Also, this bug disappear if you do any seek in the video. Can anyone confirm? Ah! Note that with 'blend=false' parameter it's normal that the last frame of a scene repeats; there's no way to avoid this. The problem I'm talking about is the frame repetition in the beginning of a scene.
post #73 of 1968 Old 12-03-2008, 03:14 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerue View Post

I'm glad to say that the new MVTools 2.x (or direct link to 2.2.2 version) is faster and can be used with more agressive settings in real-time, at least with a C2D @ 3.0 GHz running movies with 300k pixels (ex.: 640x464).

The script I use now is:

Code:
setMTMode(2,3)
source=ffdshow_source()
LoadPlugin("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\AviSynth\\plugins\\mvtools2.dll")
backward_vec = MVAnalyse(super, blksize=8, overlap=0, isb = true, search=3, searchparam=5)
forward_vec = MVAnalyse(super, blksize=8, overlap=0, isb = false, search=3, searchparam=5)
source.MVFlowFps(super, backward_vec, ThSCD1=350, blend=false, forward_vec, num=2*FramerateNumerator(source), \\
   den=FramerateDenominator(source))
distributor()
Note that 'blksize', 'search' and 'searchparam' are very agressive here, and it still works in real-time. There are some modifications in this new version, and new parameters, like 'blend=false', that doesn't blend (mix) frames at scene changes. The 'ThSCD1=350' parameter is a little tweak to better avoid some wrong scene change detection; I'm still working to find a better value, but at this moment I think that 350 is better than the default 400. Of course, you can set other values if you have a better (or worst) CPU; 'overlap', for example, can be set to 2 in order to improve the motion estimation, but it uses a little more CPU. Video card here doesn't make any difference (well, until someone port MVTools to CUDA, hehehe).

Also, I find out that MT.dll is not necessary (or, at least, no longer necessary). Just MT version of the Avisynth.dll is enough.

Thanks for the advise. I'm currently configuring the new MVTools in order to work realtime with high definition content. I had to relax the parameters in order to deal with the increased resolution. Currently my conf is:

global source=ffdshow_source()
source=source.assumeFPS(Round(source.Framerate),true)
LoadPlugin("C:\\AviSynth 2.5\\plugins\\mvtools2.dll")
backward_vec = MVAnalyse(super, blksize=32, blksizeV=16, isb = true, chroma=false, search=1, searchparam=1)
forward_vec = MVAnalyse(super, blksize=32, blksizeV=16, isb = false, chroma=false, search=1, searchparam=1)
source.MVFlowFps(super, backward_vec, forward_vec, blend=false, num=2*FramerateNumerator(source), den=FramerateDenominator(source), mask=0)
distributor()

It is almost perfect but in some cases it reaches 100% and drops frames. Do you know any parameter I can change in order to lower CPU use (at the cost of some quality, of course)?

Thanks!
post #74 of 1968 Old 12-04-2008, 05:39 PM

janderclander14, maybe you can try other 'search' values (0 - 5), because '1' isn't necessary the faster. I'm not sure. Also, you can discover a way to use a non-integer value to multiply the FPS of the movie; 1.5 * the default 24 FPS of the movies can be enough for your eyes, and easier to your CPU.

Besides that, I think you have the most simple script possible. But artifact should be your best friend, hehehe. What CPU do you have? Are you using MT Avisynth?
post #75 of 1968 Old 12-05-2008, 01:01 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerue View Post

janderclander14, maybe you can try other 'search' values (0 - 5), because '1' isn't necessary the faster. I'm not sure. Also, you can discover a way to use a non-integer value to multiply the FPS of the movie; 1.5 * the default 24 FPS of the movies can be enough for your eyes, and easier to your CPU.

Besides that, I think you have the most simple script possible. But artifact should be your best friend, hehehe. What CPU do you have? Are you using MT Avisynth?

Thanks, Delerue. I've tried search=0 and it is very smooth. There are certainly artifacts in some scenes but this is the only configuration that does not drop frames.

I am currently using it for fullHD content in a C2D @ 2.4 Ghz.
post #76 of 1968 Old 12-10-2008, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
Been a while since I've been on here, it's nice to see some advancement in the program. I've been trying to get this working with Blu-ray/HD-DVD. In MPC using Arcsoft and Overlay mixer, I can get VC-1 movies playing with the script at 48fps fine. 1080p high bitrate films with double frame rates...look amazing.

AVC on the other hand(which most Blu-Rays use) however poses a much larger problem. I'm currently using a Q9450, so yes I'd love this to be ported to CUDA as I'm sure Nvidia would.
post #77 of 1968 Old 12-16-2008, 11:53 PM

Tried all the scripts here, the one that is "almost" working on my c2d 2.4 is the last script by janderclander14 (thanks!), not exactly working on 1080p, but runs almost flawless on 720p material.

Is it my sight of view or with this script things gets really blurry on big background movements???

I get almost the same result by using framedoubler of ffdshow (3x3 square). Anyone else tried that?
post #78 of 1968 Old 12-28-2008, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Any Core I7 users out there wanna try this out on their rigs with Blu-Ray/HD-DVD?
post #79 of 1968 Old 01-01-2009, 07:23 PM

Hey Bahn,

Yup.. got an I7 920 / Phenom II (soon), that i would love to see how it performs

My lil'bro just got a Bravia 120hz and played Wall-e BluRay off his PS3.. and DANG!!! It was gorgeous. It had that "3D" / "Kinda Fake" look to it that I really think is awesome.

Will this script give that appearance on my i7 and Samsuny TOC 260HD?

- Ton
post #80 of 1968 Old 01-02-2009, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suasdu View Post

Hey Bahn,

Yup.. got an I7 920 / Phenom II (soon), that i would love to see how it performs

My lil'bro just got a Bravia 120hz and played Wall-e BluRay off his PS3.. and DANG!!! It was gorgeous. It had that "3D" / "Kinda Fake" look to it that I really think is awesome.

Will this script give that appearance on my i7 and Samsuny TOC 260HD?

- Ton

Yes that's the purpose of this thread, to get the "120hz" look on sets that don't have the feature built in. I'm using it on my quad core and the results with the proper scripts actually rivals my Samsung LCD.

I own both an 67" 750 LED-DLP and a 46" 630 LCD.
post #81 of 1968 Old 01-02-2009, 08:53 PM

you can't get real 120hz 5:5 pulldown by using this, so i assume this is just the automotion plus junk which interpolates between frames giving 48 frames per second which still isn't the most ideal. And the interpolation would mean looks like a cheap soap opera?
post #82 of 1968 Old 01-03-2009, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz86 View Post

you can't get real 120hz 5:5 pulldown by using this, so i assume this is just the automotion plus junk which interpolates between frames giving 48 frames per second which still isn't the most ideal. And the interpolation would mean looks like a cheap soap opera?

In my experience it doesn't look like Samsung AMP on HIGH. More like medium or low. It's more of a subtle touch to it. Personally I like the AMP on HIGH but do notice some artifact from time to time on very fast moving scenes.

Right now I'm able to get these 720 mkvs running great. I've also been able to get VC-1 to run as well. But as for a Blu-Ray AVC encode, I don't think my Q9450 can handle it. I'm hoping suasdu can give us some insight on how his Nehalem performs, as Core i7 is faster per clock than Core 2 and it's also got hyperthreading!
post #83 of 1968 Old 01-05-2009, 10:04 PM

I am from europe (so mostly using PAL) and I can set the refresh rate of my projector to 24,30,50 and 60 Hz if I remember correctly. Would you prefer to set it to 24 Hz and don't use a script like this, or would I getter a better quality setting it to 60 Hz (or maybe 50?) and using 8:13's script?

I really appreciate your help.
post #84 of 1968 Old 01-10-2009, 09:10 AM

Nobody? Please help me. Any hints and references will be really appreciated!
post #85 of 1968 Old 01-10-2009, 04:07 PM

Display refresh rate should be an integer multiple of movie fps, so for pal dvds (25 fps) set the projector to 50 hz
post #86 of 1968 Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 PM

Ok, and for 24p HD stuff? Should I set it to 50 hz too? And should I use these frame rate doubling scripts in both cases?
post #87 of 1968 Old 01-11-2009, 01:41 AM

Of course for 24p hd stuff, 24hz is the optimal refresh rate. But in this case, doubling the frame rate doesn't make sense, because the projector can't process 48 frames, only 24.
For 24fps material I use the reclock filter which speeds up playback to 25 fps, so I get smooth playback on 50hz tv, and these scripts can be used too.
post #88 of 1968 Old 01-14-2009, 11:30 AM

A question: if this works for doubling the frame rate, is there any reason why it could not interpolate an additional 6 frames to the usual 24, thus giving a total 30 frames, giving a 2:2 cadence instead of the 3:2 on a 60hz LCD TV? One should expect better results than 3:2 if the interpolation is any good, yes?
post #89 of 1968 Old 01-17-2009, 07:15 AM

I have tried this method(post#87).Unfortunately I receive the error there is no function named setMTMode...Any tips would be appreciated.
post #90 of 1968 Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by way* View Post

I have tried this method(post#87).Unfortunately I receive the error there is no function named setMTMode...Any tips would be appreciated.

Have you tried following instructions from page 1?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page