ATI Radeon HD 4600 & 4800 series support 7.1 channel HDMI audio! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2819 Old 06-17-2008, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

Ok! I just picked up the Sapphire HD 4850. I am attaching some pictures of the packaging, contents etc... It comes with a HDMI->DVI converter, VGA->DVI converter, component adapter, 4 Pin to 6 Pin cable, S-video adapter, crossfire jumper, driver CD, etc...

Feels heavy, so the heatsink seems pretty substantial.

I haven't installed it yet, but some probing on the driver CD clearly indicates it's an AMD HD audio driver, NOT Realtek.

More info later...

Thanks for the update. Please keep coming!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2819 Old 06-17-2008, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Attached is the inf file for the XP audio driver. You can see some of what's going on here. No way to see from this about LPCM support etc.., and the Vista driver is somewhat different, so I won't be able to tell for sure until I get it installed (I run SageTV on Vista on this particular client).

AtiHDAudinf.txt 17.857421875k . file
post #273 of 2819 Old 06-17-2008, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Your 2nd image, the one of the box, it says 5.1 support, not 7.1. I thought all of these were supposed to be 7.1?

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #274 of 2819 Old 06-17-2008, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Your 2nd image, the one of the box, it says 5.1 support, not 7.1. I thought all of these were supposed to be 7.1?

The visiontek packaging for the same card says 7.1. I wouldn't trust the artwork on some of these packages to be correct. They are doing well if they get it printed without misspellings..
post #275 of 2819 Old 06-17-2008, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Attached is the inf file for the XP audio driver. You can see some of what's going on here. No way to see from this about LPCM support etc.., and the Vista driver is somewhat different, so I won't be able to tell for sure until I get it installed (I run SageTV on Vista on this particular client).

Do you use PDVD to play BD? After 4850 installed, will you able to do LPCM from the drop down menu? You can verify that from the PDVD8 'show info' button inside the setup menu.
post #276 of 2819 Old 06-17-2008, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

Do you use PDVD to play BD? After 4850 installed, will you able to do LPCM from the drop down menu? You can verify that from the PDVD8 'show info' button inside the setup menu.

I have no BD capability (yet), just playback of ripped HDDVD's at this point. The client doesn't even have an HD drive on it as I rip the disks on my desktop system. I do have PDVD 7 Ultra, which works fine for me, but again, most of playback is done via SageTV and extenders...
post #277 of 2819 Old 06-17-2008, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Good eye! I didn't even bother to look there since I thought it has to say 7.1 instead of 5.1. I need to enlarge the picture in order to see that

Quote:

The visiontek packaging for the same card says 7.1. I wouldn't trust the artwork on some of these packages to be correct. They are doing well if they get it printed without misspellings..

Agree. But in the safe side, we probably not going to take their words too and better test it out and make sure.
post #278 of 2819 Old 06-17-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have no BD capability (yet), just playback of ripped HDDVD's at this point. The client doesn't even have an HD drive on it as I rip the disks on my desktop system. I do have PDVD 7 Ultra, which works fine for me, but again, most of playback is done via SageTV and extenders...

IC. Based on your set up, you are looking for more a video performance upgrade than like most of us, at least I, for the audio LPCM upgrade, right?
post #279 of 2819 Old 06-17-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

MikeSM,

Thanks for all your updates, and for providing us for audio information, of which I'm only more curious about at this point. If you can, I'd love to know about where the control panel for configuring the audio lies and if there's anything about it that identifies it any better. Somewhere there has to be a setup to define which speakers you have and adjust balances, etc.

Again, thanks.

Nice job of Sapphire to use a tasteful sticker on the shroud.
post #280 of 2819 Old 06-17-2008, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IC. Based on your set up, you are looking for more a video performance upgrade than like most of us, at least I, for the audio LPCM upgrade, right?

HD-DVD has HD audio too, and quite frankly, I have been waiting to make an investment in BR media until I got a decent client built to handle it. :-) Sage can't do native BR and HD DVD playback, but it plays back the main ripped movie just fine, which is what I really care about. And getting HD audio playback would be great too, but probably not possible just quite yet.

Plus, I would love to be able to play FSX on HTPC as well... :-)
post #281 of 2819 Old 06-17-2008, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm definitely going to be doing some surround gaming on my HTPC with this card. Even 'last gen' stuff like Psychonauts and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory have surround on the PC; I've played them but am not happy with my motherboards analog 5.1 outputs.
post #282 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 04:38 AM

Quote:

HD-DVD has HD audio too, and quite frankly, I have been waiting to make an investment in BR media until I got a decent client built to handle it. :-) Sage can't do native BR and HD DVD playback, but it plays back the main ripped movie just fine, which is what I really care about. And getting HD audio playback would be great too, but probably not possible just quite yet.

Did you rip your HD-DVD using eac3to and audio to flac? In that case, if the video card supports 7.1 LPCM, then you should be getting the PCM sounds to your receiver. If you don't hear those, then the card is not working or the driver is at fault.

The difference between ripped and regular BD/HD-DVD is just the location of where the file is. I have all of my BDs and HD-DVDs ripped, and some are converted to MKV using eac3to and some are in ripped format after demuxing with unused audios taken out, and they all play fine using MPC or PDVD8.

Speakers: Monitor Audio GR60, GRLCR, GR-10
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-92
Amp: (Still searching...)
post #283 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The launch is now scheduled for 06/25, so I guess we'll find out everything next week.
post #284 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoxl View Post

The launch is now scheduled for 06/25, so I guess we'll find out everything next week.

Source?

Also if you plan on buying this at Best Buy to take advantage of their generous return policy(In case 7.1 doesn't work as advertised) you might want to pick up a 10% coupon on ebay. That will make it a little easier to stomach the price difference between B&M and online. I just picked up the 10% coupon for $2 and it will save me about $20.

You can also buy gift cards for about 80-90% of their face value but that is a little riskier.

Anyway I will buy this card the second it hits a Best Buy shelf in North Carolina!
post #285 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 314
AMD held a conference Cinema 2.0 Event in San Fancisco on June 16 (the same day as the release of GeForce GTX 200 series). Here is one of the slides presented there:

BTW the main theme of the conference was 1TFLOPS and "Cinema 2.0". I see how busy AMD is in competing with NVIDIA in 3D graphics. They are not much concerned about HDMI audio.
LL
post #286 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 09:44 AM

Just a simple idea for this people who will grab HD4850/4870 to test PCM 5.1 ( it's not 7.1 but it's better than 2.0) not available so far in AMD HD3xxx.

3 files transcoded from 5.1 DTS test :

6_channel_id.dts
6_channel_id_48kHz_fromDTS.flac
6_channel_id_48kHz_fromDTS.wav

Just test 2 last files, using ATI HDMI AUDIO , and 5.1 capable amp, using Winamp or other player - if sound seperation is ok then we will know at least that these card can bitstream 48kHz 5.1 PCM in unprotected path.

Someone could upconvert these file to 96KHz 7.1 or even 24 bit to test all the possibilities or made a new ones ...
post #287 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 AM

Link in another post because of forum restrictions

http://www.zshare.net/download/13817729706c2abc/
post #288 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Source?

Also if you plan on buying this at Best Buy to take advantage of their generous return policy

Is it just 30 days or more? Never bought from Best buy...
post #289 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, the bad news is I could not get enough time last night to install the 4850 into my HTPC - it's in an 19" A/V rack and the Silverstone case I use doesn't have holes to attach slides, so it's quite a hassle to pull the unit out to make hardware changes. My wife really doesn't like me working on computer stuff in the evening - ah when I was single - I used to stay up all night working on a new build...

The good news is that I did manage to install it into my desktop system running Vista. So at least I could get the drivers installed and such.

It appears to be installing a version of Cat 8.5. The audio driver controls are not integrated into CCC - there are no audio options (HDMI or otherwise) in CCC.

An HDMI sound device does show up in the Vista sound control panel, but it is odd, it just sees stereo speakers. Now, maybe it won't let me do anything else since I don't have it plugged into an HDMI monitor, but it does seem odd that there aren't any more capabilities visible.

I'm can VPN into my house and play with it remotely, so I'm going to poke around some more and see if I can figure why more adjustments aren't available...

thx
mike
post #290 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, the bad news is I could not get enough time last night to install the 4850 into my HTPC - it's in an 19" A/V rack and the Silverstone case I use doesn't have holes to attach slides, so it's quite a hassle to pull the unit out to make hardware changes. My wife really doesn't like me working on computer stuff in the evening - ah when I was single - I used to stay up all night working on a new build...

The good news is that I did manage to install it into my desktop system running Vista. So at least I could get the drivers installed and such.

It appears to be installing a version of Cat 8.5. The audio driver controls are not integrated into CCC - there are no audio options (HDMI or otherwise) in CCC.

An HDMI sound device does show up in the Vista sound control panel, but it is odd, it just sees stereo speakers. Now, maybe it won't let me do anything else since I don't have it plugged into an HDMI monitor, but it does seem odd that there aren't any more capabilities visible.

I'm can VPN into my house and play with it remotely, so I'm going to poke around some more and see if I can figure why more adjustments aren't available...

thx
mike

Mike,

based one what you described I think there is some problems somewhere. I expected you see below in order to send 8 channels LPCM. You might need to re-intall the driver at this point in order for VMC to configure 8 channels... You need to see #2 pictures but instead you only see 2 channels, right?
LL
LL
LL
post #291 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
post #292 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mike,

based one what you described I think there is some problems somewhere. I expected you see below in order to send 8 channels LPCM. You might need to re-intall the driver at this point in order for VMC to configure 8 channels... You need to see #2 pictures but instead you only see 2 channels, right?

Yes, the first install didn't seem to install the proper driver. I did a manual install of the ATI driver and it seems to have worked. But when you log in via RDP the sound control panel is basically useless. So I'm installing vnc on the desktop now, and hopefully will have some more data for everyone.

It's definitely an ATI driver, that's for sure. No sign of realtek anywhere. Also, there is no documentation about HDMI audio anywhere on the DVD or the sapphire website.
post #293 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 11:18 AM

Liked: 12
I know it's still a ways off, but I assume ATI's said nothing about the lower end models, specifically the 4470 or 4450? I like the card features but the cards launching now seem like a total waste for me since I don't ever plan on gaming on my HTPC. The 4470 seems like the natural extension of the 3450s.
post #294 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvarisco View Post

I know it's still a ways off, but I assume ATI's said nothing about the lower end models, specifically the 4470 or 4450? I like the card features but the cards launching now seem like a total waste for me since I don't ever plan on gaming on my HTPC. The 4470 seems like the natural extension of the 3450s.

I think they will have 4650 before 4450.
post #295 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is it just 30 days or more? Never bought from Best buy...

Yes it is only 30 days. However, it is also no questions asked. I can return it 29 days later just because I spent too much money and my wife got mad at me.

They also price match for those 30 days. So if some online retailer throws it up for half off two weeks later I could try to get them to price match it or just take it back and buy it online.
post #296 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Yes it is only 30 days. However, it is also no questions asked. I can return it 29 days later just because I spent too much money and my wife got mad at me.

They also price match for those 30 days. So if some online retailer throws it up for half off two weeks later I could try to get them to price match it or just take it back and buy it online.

30 days is pretty standard but on-line is pretty darn good!
post #297 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

thx
mike

Using an 8200HDMI board, the sound options did not show (except indicating hdmi not connected) until connected to my 605. Only then did stereo and 7.1 show and allow access to windows speaker configuration, In VMC as well. Once you connect it, options show.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #298 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Using an 8200HDMI board, the sound options did not show (except indicating hdmi not connected) until connected to my 605. Only then did stereo and 7.1 show and allow access to windows speaker configuration, In VMC as well. Once you connect it, options show.

What bitrates and sampling khz are available through 7.1?
And any mention of Bitstream?
I think any audio info would be helpful since AMD/ATI can't seem to get past FPS and release dates right now.

thanks
post #299 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

The proper device is called the ATI AA01 audio device, which is what I think the internal audio device in the 3850 is called as well. But once I got the right device driver loaded it disappeared from the sound control panel completely, so this is consistent with what Devinleeds said.

I'll see if I can't get some time tonight to move it to my client that is hooked up to a receiver and such and verify more. Otherwise I'll be out of town for the rest of week...
post #300 of 2819 Old 06-18-2008, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Under XP I get 5.1 as an option in a dropdown in the control panel, but all I'm getting out is stereo. Anybody else having this problem?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page