ATI Radeon HD 4600 & 4800 series support 7.1 channel HDMI audio! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2819 Old 08-18-2008, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

First, calm down. Second, perhaps it's a language thing, but you clearly indicated in your first post that 7.1 is fine, and 5.1 is an error:

For 7.1, you say the channels come out of where they are supposed to, and you say "that really fine".

For 5.1, you say the channels are swapped, then you say it's Microsoft or Realtek's error.

If you meant something different, you should communicate more clearly.

oh man, yes you are right, with the cleary communication:
This was the FIRST TIME a test file fitted right, I first tested the 7.1 file with the 7.1 Realtek Setting...i wondered why...because of that i said "really fine"

then I testet the 6 channel test with 5.1 Realtek setting..well the speaker said: "Front right(good) Center (good) Front left (good) Back left (why Back in a 5.1 set, he should say Side left) Back right (why Back in a 5.1 set, he should say Side right)...so then I understood why the 8-channel test had fitted right...because they think a 5.1 set has no sides but backs...in reality a 5.1 setting has sides, but no rears, look at my pictures in the Presentation...

i said this in my from you qouted post a few minutes ago:

aha, microsoft thinks 6 channel -> 5.1 Setting has the setting
Front/Center/Back

in reality it should be

Front/Center/Side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2819 Old 08-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
FWIW using VMC in a 7.1 setup using X-fi based analog out I get sound from my rears and not the sides when playing 5.1 audio. Since I am using analog I cant matrix to the sides using my AVR.

I have to retest but I am pretty sure I get the same results with TMT and P-DVD with the latter allowing me to matrix using the player.
post #633 of 2819 Old 08-18-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post

FWIW using VMC in a 7.1 setup using X-fi based analog out I get sound from my rears and not the sides when playing 5.1 audio. Since I am using analog I cant matrix to the sides using my AVR.

I have to retest but I am pretty sure I get the same results with TMT and P-DVD with the latter allowing me to matrix using the player.

5.1 dolby digital bitstream is always right in what he does...so when you play bitsptream over spdif -> the same channels should play like with your analog connection
5.1 Dolby Digital bitstream over hdmi or spdif playes the channels Front/Center/Sides...you will see that at my presentation, so every 5.1 source should play like that, even while get streamed as a 5.1 Multichannel PCM...
5.1 Systems like RX-V 463 have only Front/Center/Sides...so why sould a 5.1 File play on Front/Center/Back ?!

5.1 : http://www.yamaha-service.de/downloa...ng=g&dlid=2842 sheet 12 of the PDF File

7.1 : http://www.yamaha-service.de/downloa...ng=g&dlid=2377 sheet 14 of the PDF File

-> surround Back are additional, you have them only at a 7.1 system.
With a 5.1 system you have only the sides or also called surround...(not back surround)

so why should a 5.1 PCM Stream be played by the back surround (in a 7.1 realtek and AVR setting) instead of through the sides? 5.1Dolby Digital Bitstream does it right...it playes through the sides, also called surround (not Backsurround)
post #634 of 2819 Old 08-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Well, I still haven't "fixed" my loss of HDMI audio (when I turn off the receiver), but I do have a pretty reasonable workaround. HDMI audio comes back after a change of resolutions, it seems to "kick" the graphics card into realizing there is an audio capable device there again. So, as you can imagine, the workaround centers around that idea.

Anyway, here's the "fix" to make it easy to "pop" the resolutions and get the machine to realize that there's an HDMI audio device there again.

Go to this site and download the resolution changer application:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...load_locations

Then, write a batch file that looks something like that:

@ECHO OFF
D:\\SOUND\\DC -width=1920 -height=1080
D:\\SOUND\\DC -width=1792 -height=992 -apply

Change the "D:\\SOUND\\DC" to the path to the file you unzip from the above location.
Change the first line to a supported resolution by your TV, in my case, 1920X1080.
Change the last line to your preferred resolution (in my case, 1792X992, the custom resolution for my TV).

When you run this batch file it will flash the screen very quickly and restore the HDMI sound. Yes, it's still a PITA to have to do anything to get sound back, but this is MUCH better then going to the CCC and digging around to find the sound settings.

Hope this helps others. Also, again, is anyone else seeing the same/similar problem? It's only when I turn off the receiver; the HDMI audio device goes away and seems to not get re-detected. Also, does anyone know if a HDMI detective would fix this, or should I just wait for the next version of the driver/sound device (currently on RTK ver 2.0 of the HDMI driver)?

My Onkyo 3008 (non-professional) review
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19539055
post #635 of 2819 Old 08-18-2008, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfink View Post

Well, I still haven't "fixed" my loss of HDMI audio (when I turn off the receiver), but I do have a pretty reasonable workaround. HDMI audio comes back after a change of resolutions, it seems to "kick" the graphics card into realizing there is an audio capable device there again. So, as you can imagine, the workaround centers around that idea.

Anyway, here's the "fix" to make it easy to "pop" the resolutions and get the machine to realize that there's an HDMI audio device there again.

Go to this site and download the resolution changer application:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...load_locations

Then, write a batch file that looks something like that:

@ECHO OFF
D:\\SOUND\\DC -width=1920 -height=1080
D:\\SOUND\\DC -width=1792 -height=992 -apply

Change the "D:\\SOUND\\DC" to the path to the file you unzip from the above location.
Change the first line to a supported resolution by your TV, in my case, 1920X1080.
Change the last line to your preferred resolution (in my case, 1792X992, the custom resolution for my TV).

When you run this batch file it will flash the screen very quickly and restore the HDMI sound. Yes, it's still a PITA to have to do anything to get sound back, but this is MUCH better then going to the CCC and digging around to find the sound settings.

Hope this helps others. Also, again, is anyone else seeing the same/similar problem? It's only when I turn off the receiver; the HDMI audio device goes away and seems to not get re-detected. Also, does anyone know if a HDMI detective would fix this, or should I just wait for the next version of the driver/sound device (currently on RTK ver 2.0 of the HDMI driver)?

This is AVR specific, with the renegotiation on the HDCP tunnel, and likely not anything the 4850 is doing incorrectly. What AVR do you have?

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #636 of 2819 Old 08-18-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:

If anyone knows how to change resolutions from
the command line with CCC, please let me know!

Sorry it didn't help,
I think the resolution change has nothing to do with CCC, the resolution change has to do with windows.

Tal Aloni
post #637 of 2819 Old 08-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

It's a Pioneer VSX-1018AH.

I don't think it's the 4850, I think it's Windows. Windows doesn't see the audio device after I power off/on the receiver. There needs to be a setting that says "always send audio" on the driver for the video card/RLTK driver. That would (IMHO) fix the issue. Or, in lieu of that, a setting that when a monitor is first connected (which is what it looks like when you turn on a receiver) to try more then once to negotiate an audio tunnel.

It's not a really big deal, especially not with the ability to make a batch file to fix it in 5 seconds, but it would be nice if a driver update would fix this. The computer "knows" that there is no audio, a driver update could very easily make it continue to try to negotiate instead of failing. All I'm doing with the resolution change is forcing a renegotiation, no?

Quote:

This is AVR specific, with the renegotiation on the HDCP tunnel, and likely not anything the 4850 is doing incorrectly. What AVR do you have?

post #638 of 2819 Old 08-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I need a way to do this from a batch file; there's NO way I'm going to be able to explain this to the other members of my house. Basically I need a command/exe that will blip the video connection. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it.

I know I'm a little late at answering, but CCC has the ability to do this without any extra software.

If you create a profile (from within CCC) and check the activation "desktop shortcut", it will create a desktop shortcut that will perform a CCC command line to change resolutions, change CCC settings, etc. (whatever you want it to do).

You can move this desktop icon anywhere you want (say into a utilities directory or something) and then call it up either directly from within Task Scheduler or from within a batch file. If you prefer, you can also look at the shortcut and use the same CCC command line to apply the profile (instead of using the actual shortcut itself). You can then use Task Scheduler to call it up every time the system is logged on, unlocked, a user session is initialized, etc.

I used this to resolve a similar issue you have with my daughter's PC's second monitor. In her case, the second monitor had to be re-enabled every time the system logged on, resumed from sleep, or was unlocked.

One thing to note - if you need to call up the profile right after a fresh reboot, you need to delay it so the command is applied after CCC starts.
post #639 of 2819 Old 08-18-2008, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a Pioneer VSX-1018AH.

I don't think it's the 4850, I think it's Windows. Windows doesn't see the audio device after I power off/on the receiver. There needs to be a setting that says "always send audio" on the driver for the video card/RLTK driver. That would (IMHO) fix the issue. Or, in lieu of that, a setting that when a monitor is first connected (which is what it looks like when you turn on a receiver) to try more then once to negotiate an audio tunnel.

It's not a really big deal, especially not with the ability to make a batch file to fix it in 5 seconds, but it would be nice if a driver update would fix this. The computer "knows" that there is no audio, a driver update could very easily make it continue to try to negotiate instead of failing. All I'm doing with the resolution change is forcing a renegotiation, no?

Again, I think this is more an AVR issue than anything else. The AVR is supposed to initiate basically an HDCP re-synch when you turn it on. If it doesn't, then your fallback is to force the PC to do it.

But in reality, the PC hasn't changed, it's the AVR that's changed. The PC isn't responsible for reestablishing the HDCP connection since it's been on the whole time, while the AVR left, then came back. If the AVR doesn't say "hey, I'm here and secure", the PC doesn't really know what to do.

In any case, you have a workaround, but most/many AVRs do the right thing and reestablish the HDCP tunnel. I'd say this is more an issue with the AVR than anything.

post #640 of 2819 Old 08-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Makes sense; and I'm not really sure who is at "fault", but I do understand what you're saying. I guess the thing that I would say is that it's much easier for the writers of the drivers to fix this then it is for the AVR vendors. With a simple update they could rectify the problem (just tell it that it should have an audio sync on HDMI, if it doesn't have it, reset the connection) and fix this for all of us (or am I the only one) in this situation. Just treat the HDMI audio like a standard audio port (one that has no knowledge as to if there are speakers connected or not) and the issue would be resolved.

Oh well, honestly, I am very happy with the HTPC; it works very well, and this is a very minor annoyance.

Now, getting Blu-Ray to output PCM. That was a nightmare by comparison!

Quote:

Again, I think this is more an AVR issue than anything else. The AVR is supposed to initiate basically an HDCP re-synch when you turn it on. If it doesn't, then your fallback is to force the PC to do it.

But in reality, the PC hasn't changed, it's the AVR that's changed. The PC isn't responsible for reestablishing the HDCP connection since it's been on the whole time, while the AVR left, then came back. If the AVR doesn't say "hey, I'm here and secure", the PC doesn't really know what to do.

In any case, you have a workaround, but most/many AVRs do the right thing and reestablish the HDCP tunnel. I'd say this is more an issue with the AVR than anything.

post #641 of 2819 Old 08-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know if I can put a DVI cable in the chain BEFORE the DVI->HDMI adapter on the 4850? I want to go DVI out of the computer to the adapter, then from the adapter (via HDMI) to my AVR.

Why on earth would anyone want to do this? Ugh.. Because I have a size problem, the adapter (DVI->HDMI) with the HDMI cable then plugged in is about 3" long. It's by far, the longest thing on the back of my HTPC, and it's keeping me from pushing the HTPC back into the stand that I currently have. I need to cut down the profile of the whole setup, and the DVI->HDMI is a big part of that.. I would want to get about a 6" DVI cable to run directly out of the video card, then put the adapter, and finally the HDMI. That would save me a ton of room behind my system, if possible.

Also, if anyone knows a good place to get ultra low profile cables (power), please let me know. I want it as low profile as possible; again, very cramped for space in my AV rack.

post #642 of 2819 Old 08-18-2008, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone know if I can put a DVI cable in the chain BEFORE the DVI->HDMI adapter on the 4850? I want to go DVI out of the computer to the adapter, then from the adapter (via HDMI) to my AVR.

Why on earth would anyone want to do this? Ugh.. Because I have a size problem, the adapter (DVI->HDMI) with the HDMI cable then plugged in is about 3" long. It's by far, the longest thing on the back of my HTPC, and it's keeping me from pushing the HTPC back into the stand that I currently have. I need to cut down the profile of the whole setup, and the DVI->HDMI is a big part of that.. I would want to get about a 6" DVI cable to run directly out of the video card, then put the adapter, and finally the HDMI. That would save me a ton of room behind my system, if possible.

Also, if anyone knows a good place to get ultra low profile cables (power), please let me know. I want it as low profile as possible; again, very cramped for space in my AV rack.

If you have a DVI cable that uses all the pins, yes that will work.

post #643 of 2819 Old 08-19-2008, 06:25 AM

Hey again mjfink,
Before I found out about the "Power control" mode in my onkyo,
I wrote a nifty command line utility that can control resolution / position / refresh rate and primary monitor and can attach / detach monitors using windows API.

it's simple and stable, and might be helpful in your case.

Usage 1: DisplayController [MonitorNumber] [/resolution height width] [/position x y] [/frequency frequency]

Usage 2: DisplayController [MonitorNumber] [/primary]

Usage 3: DisplayController [MonitorNumber] [/attach x y]

Usage 4: DisplayController [MonitorNumber] [/detach]

in your case, it would be something like:
DisplayController 2 /resolution 800 600
DisplayController 2 /resolution 1280 720

you must have dot-net framework 2.0 installed though.

Tal Aloni

DisplayController 1.06.zip 5.3466796875k . file
post #644 of 2819 Old 08-19-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingernst View Post

5.1 Dolby Digital bitstream over hdmi or spdif playes the channels Front/Center/Sides...so every 5.1 source should play like that, even while get streamed as a 5.1 Multichannel PCM...

5.1 Systems like RX-V 463 have only Front/Center/Sides...so why sould a 5.1 File play on Front/Center/Back ?!

5.1 : http://www.yamaha-service.de/downloa...ng=g&dlid=2842 sheet 12 of the PDF File

7.1 : http://www.yamaha-service.de/downloa...ng=g&dlid=2377 sheet 14 of the PDF File

-> surround Back are additional, you have them only at a 7.1 system.
With a 5.1 system you have only the sides or also called surround...(not back surround)

can anyone confirm this words?
post #645 of 2819 Old 08-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you for posting that! That's similar to what the program that I posted does, it just "pops" the resolution which restores the audio portion of the link.

This does fix the problem; however, a driver update or a firmware update (for the AVR) would be the best solution. Oh well, no big deal, if that's the biggest problem with my HTPC setup, I will be very happy!

Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal.aloni View Post

Hey again mjfink,
Before I found out about the "Power control" mode in my onkyo,
I wrote a nifty command line utility that can control resolution / position / refresh rate and primary monitor using windows API.

it's simple and stable, and might be helpful in your case.

Usage 1: DisplayController [MonitorNumber] [/resolution height width] [/position x y] [/frequency frequency]

Usage 2: DisplayController [MonitorNumber] [/primary]

in your case, it would be something like:
DisplayController 2 /resolution 800 600
DisplayController 2 /resolution 1280 720

you must have dot-net framework 2.0 installed though.

Tal Aloni

post #646 of 2819 Old 08-19-2008, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

can anyone confirm this words?

Dude, I don't know what else to tell you... if you have a 5.1 setup only (not a 7.1 setup), the sound will come from wherever you have the side speakers located. The fact that Vista says "rear" is meaningless. It should just say "the other two speakers".

If you have a 7.1 setup and configure Windows for 5.1, and then send 5.1 LPCM to it, you will get the side/rears swapped. This is due to the EDID confusion and the lack of exclusive control. But the only reason to do this is if you're matrixing the sound, in which case it doesn't matter anyway as your AVR will blend the sides/rears from 5.1-7.1.

If I have my speakers in the corners, should I freak out that Vista doesn't say "Corner Speakers"? Please, the location is irrelevent, it's just the number of speakers that matter.

You seem really stuck on the terminology of side/rear, when it really doesn't matter. Things work as expected. And it's expected that if you configure Windows as a mismatch to your setup, you'll get odd results.

There is no problem. You're manufacturing something that doesn't exist.

post #647 of 2819 Old 08-19-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Dude, I don't know what else to tell you... if you have a 5.1 setup only (not a 7.1 setup), the sound will come from wherever you have the side speakers located. The fact that Vista says "rear" is meaningless. It should just say "the other two speakers".

Your are right..the sound comes out of the sides, every Source playes with a5.1 Realtek setting and 5.1 or 7.1 AVR like it should->through the sides...we are on the same line...If you have readed my PP you will see that I wrote that everything PLAYES right (with this above descriped settings), even when its shown wrong in theRealtek controlpanel...but..after the first testresults...we are all happy!

I only say THIS fact (the wrong showed channels at realtek 5.1 HDMI Setting) is the CAUSE/ROOT/EVIL why a 5.1 Dolby Digital streamed as PCM at a 7.1 Realtek Setting and a 7.1 AVR playes through te backs...so whats wrong...why is this wrong? Because a 5.1 nativ Dolby Digital Bitstream playes through the sides, whats right
Please READ my PP, Please make my tests, follow line for line, make real Bitstreams of Dolby Digital (they are independent from any 5.1 or 7.1 setting in your Realtek Panel)...you will see..they play through the sides....thats great...really great. Now play the same file as a Multichannel PCM (all settings @ 7.1)...you will see...sides are still...backs are playing...and thats ****ing wrong...total wrong...because backs are optional, they are not at the walls on your side, they are behind you (perhaps with small distance from each other, which makes it even more worse)...that is wrong...I don´t know how someone can´t understand that...I´m so sorry for you...

If you have a 7.1 setup and configure Windows for 5.1, and then send 5.1 LPCM to it, you will get the side/rears swapped. This is due to the EDID confusion and the lack of exclusive control. But the only reason to do this is if you're matrixing the sound, in which case it doesn't matter anyway as your AVR will blend the sides/rears from 5.1-7.1.

I don´t matrix anything, that would be stupid with such clear data of HD-Audios, I donßt use Dolby PLIIx for example, only direct streams.

If I have my speakers in the corners, should I freak out that Vista doesn't say "Corner Speakers"? Please, the location is irrelevent, it's just the number of speakers that matter.

the location of the speaker is very relevant, the sound which comes out of it is very relevant..it should only come out the sound of that speaker, which the holy good and the sound studio wanted to. Because of that you always should use direct dolby Digital or DTS Bitstream...how long as you can

You seem really stuck on the terminology of side/rear, when it really doesn't matter. Things work as expected. And it's expected that if you configure Windows as a mismatch to your setup, you'll get odd results.

I mismatch nothing...I have a 7.1 setting and a 7.1 AVR and 7.1 Speakers...if a movie has 5.1 Dolby TrueHD..thats not my fault...but I can´t do nativ bitstream with that TrueHD File..so ati and realtek as to do it with multichannel PCM...but only how dolby wants that

There is no problem. You're manufacturing something that doesn't exist.

You are speaking but not reading...that small funny lines in black and red have real concernment if you read them from the left to the right...somepeople learn that at school...this is a nice thing...I know

Greetings, Michael

Sorry I was a little bit ironic..but I like that
post #648 of 2819 Old 08-19-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Greetings, Michael

Sorry I was a little bit ironic..but I like that

I give up. I know I'm right, it's crystal clear you're just getting confused with the words and configuration specifics, but the language barrier with you is so severe, and your unwillingness to consider that this is not a real issue makes it impossible to converse with you in any meaningful way.

I'm done with this, perhaps someone else can try to explain it to you.

post #649 of 2819 Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:

I know I'm right, it's crystal clear you're just getting confused with the words

Did you test it? Thought so. I did.

Decoding 7.1 material on the PC using the Realtek HDMI v2.00 drivers swaps the signal for side and rear surrounds. It's fixable by swapping the speaker wires, but then you'll have to do all decoding on the PC because otherwise the surrounds will be swapped whenever the AVR does decoding.

It's also fixable by assigning rear to sides and vice versa using for instance audio switcher in Media Player Classic.

This is a bug, period.
post #650 of 2819 Old 08-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:

I give up. I know I'm right, it's crystal clear you're just getting confused with the words and configuration specifics, but the language barrier with you is so severe, and your unwillingness to consider that this is not a real issue makes it impossible to converse with you in any meaningful way.

I'm done with this, perhaps someone else can try to explain it to you.

why words..why language..pictures are enough...you never answered my question...have you done the tests? I think no..this question was asked for sure 5-6 times...you never answered...

language...yes its realy difficult to see the difference between the words side and back...you should be proud that you can do that in your own language...it´s something imposing like beeing able to eat something with forks and knifes...

PS: I will try this with Media player classic tomorrow when I´m again back at home...
post #651 of 2819 Old 08-19-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashi View Post

Did you test it? Thought so. I did.

Decoding 7.1 material on the PC using the Realtek HDMI v2.00 drivers swaps the signal for side and rear surrounds. It's fixable by swapping the speaker wires, but then you'll have to do all decoding on the PC because otherwise the surrounds will be swapped whenever the AVR does decoding.

It's also fixable by assigning rear to sides and vice versa using for instance audio switcher in Media Player Classic.

This is a bug, period.

Of course I tested it. And no, it doesn't swap the sides/rears, unless you mis-match the configuration. It's pretty simple.

This is user error, plain and simple.

It's very easy to reproduce by misconfiguring the system, which is why I know exactly what you're doing wrong, and why it's not a bug. But it's easier to just scream and not listen, or do your own testing based on feedback, so that's fine. You can live with it, or do something silly like swap speaker wires. The rest of us have it working just fine.

post #652 of 2819 Old 08-19-2008, 12:52 PM

hei wow you are my rescue, please make screenshots and pdf´s of your right way..then we will see..
you know the answer since 6 weeks and don´t say it? All you do is saying us we are wrong, not how to fix it...that would not make your position better...

i don´t now..tell me...what can be wrong with 7.1realtek settings, 7.1 AVRsettings and 7.1speaker set in my room? What can I make wrong when i play a real nativ Dolby bitstream and it comes out through the sides...like it does with a nativ 5.1 setting and system

Vista install is fresh, drivers are new, settings are standard (not manual modified)

PS: What you can read here is no error...nativ dolby bitstream does always right...Dolby bitstreamworks and sounds always te same..through the samechannels...its independent from realtek settings if you stream it digital

Dolby Stream has to be played through the sides...well this happens->good...when you decode it to PCM..it should also be played through the sides...it does not (Not if all settings are at 7.1: Realtek, AVR, Speakers)..it playes through the backs-> wrong - bug
post #653 of 2819 Old 08-19-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Of course I tested it. And no, it doesn't swap the sides/rears, unless you mis-match the configuration. It's pretty simple.

This is user error, plain and simple.

Hmm.. ok. Could you please explain how to get it right then? Speakers are wired correctly, sound check on the AVR works as expected. There's only one way to connect the HDMI cable.. the problem can't be anywhere other than inside the PC? I have a clean windows install, and when I play a 7.1 file, audio that should sound from the rear sounds from the side..

Where did I go wrong? There is no channel mapper in Windows XP, only configuration option is the number of speakers connected.
post #654 of 2819 Old 08-19-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:

The rest of us have it working just fine.

the most of you have 5.1 systems
post #655 of 2819 Old 08-20-2008, 08:50 AM

At the risk of jumping in at the end w/o knowledge of the entire thread, my 5:1 system output was all wrong -- until I configured it. (I used the Realtek Sound Manager.)
post #656 of 2819 Old 08-20-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Does this only happen when you turn of the 1018? My sound seems to be randomly crapping out. I figured it was an ATI or Realtek driver problem.
post #657 of 2819 Old 08-20-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrsic View Post

At the risk of jumping in at the end w/o knowledge of the entire thread, my 5:1 system output was all wrong -- until I configured it. (I used the Realtek Sound Manager.)

There is no Realtek Sound Manager for HDMI.
post #658 of 2819 Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 AM

well I startet "Jumper" in DTS -HD 7.1 a few seconds ago

I have
7.1 Realtek Setting
8-Speaker P-DVD Setting
7.1 AVR Setting
7.1 Speaker Set

and a 7.1 Source....

and what happens...in tradition:

back and side channels are swapped (20 century fox music - loudness of back is higher, normaly the sides are louder at such musik parts, because backs are optional...is an example...) well bad...I think

So Fab..where is you holy knowledge
post #659 of 2819 Old 08-20-2008, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I'm 99% sure this isn't a real problem., at least not with windows - drivers.

Here's a good test, use the THX optimizer from any THX DVD, use a player that you know you can set to bitstream and also be set to do the DD decode.

Play the audio test, and watch the speakers light up, We all know the surrouns are the side speakers. Turn the matrixing on your reciever off so the DD bitstream is played back in 5.1 (pure audio mode genreally shoud work for this) so everyone agrees what your reciever does with a bitstream is correct (watch the lights on the reciever to make sure you are bitstreaming DD). Once you've established this baseline for correct behavior, leave the multiplexing off, set the playback app for 7.1 out and retest.

If the results are the same, the app + windows are behaving the same. If the test fails, you need to try another app, because some app (ARcsoft TMT) have issues with the channels being flipped.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #660 of 2819 Old 08-20-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashi View Post

Hmm.. ok. Could you please explain how to get it right then? Speakers are wired correctly, sound check on the AVR works as expected. There's only one way to connect the HDMI cable.. the problem can't be anywhere other than inside the PC? I have a clean windows install, and when I play a 7.1 file, audio that should sound from the rear sounds from the side..

Where did I go wrong? There is no channel mapper in Windows XP, only configuration option is the number of speakers connected.

Configure Windows and your AVR/pre-pro to match at 7.1. When you run the channel test in Control Panel/Sound, you'll get sound coming out of the proper channels.

Or- configure Windows to 5.1, and set your AVR/pre-pro to matrix the sides/rears, then you'll get even sound coming out of the sides/rears.

Anything else and you'll get mis-matched sides/rears.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page