I must admit that there are still lot of topics I need to learn even after 5 years experience of HTPC histroy. I am not sure which thread is the best to post this message so I post this message here and in Onkyo 705 owners thread
Below is my configuration and how I configure the system.
- Vista 32 Ultimate
- AMD 4670 video card
- Onkyo 705 receiver
- 5.1 speaker setup
- I connect 4670 to 705 using HDMI for both audi and video
- I ripped all my CDs to PC in WMA loseless format and use VMC for playing audio.
- In VMC, I set the speaker as 'Digital connection, 2 speakers' in order to get DD/DTS from DVD playback.
- In Windows, I use HDIMI audio and set speaker as 5.1.
- Listening mode for 705 is as below.
PCM/Analog -> Neural THX (expands 2 channel to 5.1 channel)
DD -> Direct
DTS -> Direct
MultiPCM -> Neural THX
The reason I set listen mode to Neural THX for PCM/MultiPCM is that I would like to get 5.1 sound from 2 channel audio.
However when the audio reaches 705 from 4670, the 705 displays MultiPCM and the listening mode is changed to 'Direct'. Because the source only has two channels when playing audio using VMS, only two front speakers are used. I think that this is because 4670 HDMI audio is set to 5.1, so 705 receives 5.1 channel sound even VMC only outputs 2 channels.
My question is that is there a way so that 4670 outputs 2 channels when I play audio and outputs 5.1 when I play DVD/BD etc. without change the Windows audio setup?