WTF? MC recorded "Lost" as an unplayable 50K file! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-15-2008, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tonight Vista MC SP1 says it recorded "Lost" in the History, but the file is unplayable and just 50K in size! So the program is Lost, literally. I'm using HD Homerun as the tuner and Comcast QAM as the signal provider. No other programs failed to record, before or after. How is it possible MC doesn't know the recording failed? There's over 20GB of free disk space. I looked at the file in notepad. It appears to contain the show's header information. MC has done this before on other programs. I just thought it was a fluke in the cable signal. Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?

Could this be related to that Vista MC DRM issue that was in the news today? Here's the link to that story.

Update: I upgraded HDHR to the latest firmware then rebooted the PC. Now the "Lost" episode is deleted even though I never touched it. MC reports in History that it was "deleted by another user or application"! I hope this isn't some kind of DRM bug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-15-2008, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I had the DRM issue mentioned by the article with the premiere of American Gladiators. The only other show on NBC I watch is the Office, and that recorded fine tonight, as did Lost. I'm also using a HDhomerun and Vista (SP1)

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #3 of 5 Old 05-16-2008, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

MC is reporting no signal on the ABC HD channel. Yet there is plenty of signal there when I have it scan the mapped digital channels for signal strength. I can also see the channel using the HDHR viewer. Something has gotten out of sync between HDHR and Vista. I may try having HDHR rescan the channels and see if that fixes it.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-16-2008, 10:26 AM

Mine recorded and played back last nights episode for the 10 seconds i tested it. Recorded from the Miami affiliate.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-16-2008, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

I think I found the problem. Comcast recently re-mapped two channels: 51.1 to 50.1 and 51.2 to 50.2. I'll have to make the necessary configuration changes to fix it. That's the biggest drawback to not using a cable box: having channels remapped behind your back.

Fix:

I was able to change the frequencies for the two channels in the HDHR Digital Cable.xml file. After a reboot, the channels are working again in MC. See the silicondust.com forum for the details.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page