laptops with hdmi out? runs full 1080p - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 05-20-2008, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi i wanna buy a laptop with hdmi out (Gateway T-1628) so i don't know if i will get 1080P in my Tv

does any one know?????

please help me because the people in BB they don't know.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-20-2008, 09:28 PM

I'm not sure what you're asking about, whether the laptop will support a resolution or whether the laptop is powerful enough to decode blu ray files. I don't think there is a laptop that will display 1080p resolution on its lcd; but there might be. That would be sort of silly, I would think given how close a person is to the sceen. But, the Asus laptops with either the 9500gs or 9300gm cards would decode blu ray sufficiently.
post #3 of 21 Old 05-20-2008, 09:53 PM

I'm thinking if he is asking if the laptop will output 1080p via a HDMI out connection, which that gateway has. I was wondering the same thing as I am interested in purchasing a dell xps m1530 which has an hdmi out and has option for BR.
post #4 of 21 Old 05-21-2008, 11:40 AM

yes you can buy a laptop for 1080p bluray output, i bought one for a friend and set it up with his projector. it is an asus with ati 2600HD built into it and outputs with full h/w acceleration just fine.

My eventual HTPC goal is to get a next generation laptop with the new HDMI audio capable chipset. i think it will be the ultimate HTPC. just the little laptop in my theater room, built in mouse and keyboard, networked to a server full of drives in a closet in another room.
post #5 of 21 Old 05-21-2008, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitlman View Post

yes you can buy a laptop for 1080p bluray output, i bought one for a friend and set it up with his projector. it is an asus with ati 2600HD built into it and outputs with full h/w acceleration just fine.

My eventual HTPC goal is to get a next generation laptop with the new HDMI audio capable chipset. i think it will be the ultimate HTPC. just the little laptop in my theater room, built in mouse and keyboard, networked to a server full of drives in a closet in another room.

Are you saying a separate cable is needed for audio even if your laptop has HDMI? I have been enjoying movies on my laptop hooked up to a projector via HDMI. Now I need to hook up the laptop to my receiver to get audio. There is only the headphone output. Is there cable that will let me connect the headphone output from the laptop to the receiver's optical or coaxial inputs? Thanks.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

Are you saying a separate cable is needed for audio even if your laptop has HDMI? I have been enjoying movies on my laptop hooked up to a projector via HDMI. Now I need to hook up the laptop to my receiver to get audio. There is only the headphone output. Is there cable that will let me connect the headphone output from the laptop to the receiver's optical or coaxial inputs? Thanks.

That's exactly the reason laptops aren't very popular for HTPC use. BTW, what tuner are you going to use to record HD TV?

IMHO, build a box.

BT

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
post #7 of 21 Old 05-22-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:

I'm not recommending this unit specifically, but you would want something like this: http://www.techonweb.com/products/pr...=D64814&src=FG

Basically a mini USB sound card with S/PDIF output.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-23-2008, 05:08 PM

I have the gateway 1625.

I have only hooked it up to a DLP via HDMI once. I was pissed there was no sound!

So I unhooked it.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-24-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitlman View Post

This sounds interesting. Too bad I want (and can't afford otherwise) my current laptop to last another three years before my next upgrade.

But what I've been wanting, is an expresscard HDMI (video + hi-res audio) out, but if hdmi audio out is only just about to hit desktops, and we don't even have an expresscard HDMI video or *anything* out for laptops, I'm not getting my hopes up. It is a vain dream...and probably a dream delayed by all that protected path crap.

but this sounds interesting...any links/more info?
post #10 of 21 Old 05-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I know ther are some Dells that will output 5.1 sound through spdif plug. I haven't tried one of those, but the vendor tol dme it was possible to get 5.1 sound using the spdif output...

Stef
post #11 of 21 Old 05-24-2008, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Also, there are laptops with a native resolution of 1920x1200 on their LCDs. Further, you can get USB based sound cards for your laptop to get the 5.1 audio.... like a reply further up already linked to, I see.
post #12 of 21 Old 05-25-2008, 02:08 PM

I found this in my settings.

I am running vista, home premium.

post #13 of 21 Old 05-26-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanneritekid View Post

I found this in my settings.

I am running vista, home premium.

Well by making the HDMI jack the Default audio I had sound Via HDMI off of my laptop.

Major issue I have tho is I am getting allot of flickering and drop outs of video when it is hooked up.

Laptop is Gateway m1625. TV is Sammy DLP 5687.
post #14 of 21 Old 05-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

My Dell m1330 with HDMI passes 1080p and audio. I use it correctly on my 2ndary display until I build a 2nd htpc.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-26-2008, 11:36 PM

I have a Toshiba X205-9359 and I can get HDMI video and audio output to my receiver.
post #16 of 21 Old 05-28-2008, 03:21 AM

My Gateway T-1628 also has HDMI video and sound coming out of it...I'm not sure why I keep reading about only video coming out of the HDMI ports on laptops.
post #17 of 21 Old 05-28-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:

yah this is what is getting people confused, i said nothing about audio not working with hdmi. i was actually at the other end of the spectrum. i expect the next gen laptops with the newest chipsets from ati and nvidia to output not just audio over hdmi but to get full 8channel 24bit/192khz uncompressed audio over the hdmi port from a laptop. that will be my ultimate HTPC.

it should happen soon.
post #18 of 21 Old 06-03-2008, 11:25 PM

an update:

when I set up the video card to output at 720P I have zero video flickering.

any ideas as to why?
post #19 of 21 Old 06-05-2008, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ283B/N laptop. T2750 (2.0GHz Centrino Duo) with a Blu Ray burner and a 8400GT with 512 dedicated video memory. It has no issues outputting 1080p via HDMI with audio (unsure of whether it'll do DTS-MA or TrueHD.) I bring it to work with me when I'm on the midnight shift and hook it up to our 1080p projector and watch movies. I've got it set up so that when it detects the source on the HDMI port, it shunts the video output over to it. Audio automatically goes over to if the device supports it and I have to manually switch it back over to the internal speakers or headphone output. I think I read somewhere to that you can get an adapter for it, similar to the Dell adapter, that converts the headphone jack to a digital coax jack for digital audio output.

And, it was under $1100 at BB on clearance
post #20 of 21 Old 06-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanneritekid View Post

an update:

when I set up the video card to output at 720P I have zero video flickering.

any ideas as to why?

Can you post specs on your laptop? Specifically the processor and video chip set?
post #21 of 21 Old 09-10-2008, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
In the control panel, my "Digital Output Device (HDMI)" icon says "not plugged in" below it with a red arrow rather than the usual green check. running vista on a vaio ar825e.

is this normal? just got the laptop. will it change when I plug in a device like an HDTV with the HDMI cable, or is this "not plugged in" message referring to something internal to the PC?

thanks,

dave

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page